Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin has made a lot of big moves this offseason to improve his team.
While the additions of Jake Allen, Josh Anderson, Joel Edmundson, and Tyler Toffoli are each impressive in their own way, no move was more significant than Bergevins decision to sign Brendan Gallagher to a six-year contract extension.
Its impossible to show Gallaghers importance to the Canadiens with just numbers and statistics, his contributions go far beyond the scoresheet. Thats why it was challenging to project what his new contract might look like because how do you measure heart and work ethic?
In the end, both sides got a fair deal even though there was some tension during negotiations, emotions that seemed to spill over into Bergevins press conference following the extension announcement. He teared up several times while talking about what Gallagher means to the Habs.
He means a lot to our hockey team. You saw in the playoffs: he got cross-checked in the face, and he wouldnt want to miss a shift. He didnt want to leave. Gallagher is everything you want in a hockey player, and thats what I love about him, Bergevin said.
Everyone is quick to point out that the Canadiens are Carey Prices team, and that captain Shea Weber is the undisputed leader. While these two things are true, make no mistake about it, this is very much Gallaghers team too. He embodies the winning culture that management is trying to instill in Montreal.
Bergevin was never going to put in all this work to make the Canadiens better only to lose the engine that makes everything go, in free agency next year. It also says a lot about Gallagher that he wanted to re-up with the Habs right away and ensure that he will likely finish his NHL career the same way it started, in red, white and blue.
In his first eight seasons with the Canadiens, Gallagher has registered 334 points in 547 regular season games and added 25 points in 49 playoff games.
The 28-year-old is a two-time 30 goal scorer and collected 43 points in 59 games in 2019-20. His 22 goals ranked him first amongst his teammates for the third straight year. His 173 goals with the Habs ranks 17th in team history among wingers.
While Gallagher still has at least seven more years to keep climbing up Montreals all-time lists, hes already built an enviable legacy in a Canadiens uniform simply by the way he plays. Hes a special player because he plays every shift, whether its the preseason or the playoffs, like its Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. He can change the momentum of a game just with his attitude on the ice and, despite his 59 frame, he can carry his team on his shoulders.
He inspires and lifts fans out of their seats not with skill plays or flashy moves, but with desire and by being the guy that wants it most. He would go to war for his team and the city, thats why hell always have a special place in Montreals rich hockey history. Gallagher means as much to the Habs as the pride he takes in wearing the jersey. He has been a worthy successor to the much revered Saku Koivu wearing no. 11 for the Canadiens.
You look around our own team, for example, a player like Brendan Gallagher. How much time and effort that he has spent on making himself become a better player and you see what the final product is. Were looking for younger players that are willing to put in the same type of effort that Brendan has throughout the course of his career, Canadiens assistant general manager Trevor Timmins said prior to the 2020 NHL Draft.
Gallagher will continue to play an important role in mentoring the Habs bright young stars like Nick Suzuki, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, and Cole Caufield, who has already expressed how much he looks up to his future teammate.
Who wouldnt be inspired by a former fifth-round draft pick who has been an underdog his entire career who would rather prove his believers right than his doubters wrong?
I dont prove people wrong; I always try to prove people right. I like to give credit to the many people who believed in me along the way. No matter what you go through, everyone is going to have people doubt them. But you get to where you are because of the people who believed in you and put in a lot of time and effort around you, Gallagher said.
Bergevins offseason acquisitions coupled with the Canadiens deep prospect pool should mean a brighter future for the team while giving Gallagher, Price and Weber the chance to spend the later stages of their great careers playing for a contender. They certainly deserve it considering how much they have already given to the franchise.
Brendan Gallagher Means Everything to the Canadiens - Yardbarker
- 2022s big TV and movie anniversaries - Polygon - January 9th, 2022
- The George Romero-Helmed Stephen King Adaptation We'll Never Get To See - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- The 15 Best Sci-Fi Movies Of 2021 Ranked - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- Google Has Revealed All the Movies and TV Shows We've Been Searching for in 2021 - Concrete Playground - December 14th, 2021
- How Shaun of the Dead Got a Boost From Hollywood and Comic-Con Geeks - Gizmodo - November 29th, 2021
- A Kickass Zombie Movie Is Back From The Dead To Terrorize Netflix - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Fans Go Wild As Shang-Chi Arrives On Disney Plus - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Day of the Dead interview with star Christopher Russell - 1428 Elm - October 20th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- The 10 Best Horror Games of 2020 | Game Rant - GameRant - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero