It is not an exaggeration to say that Halloween (1978) defined and inspired the slasher movie genre for years. Michael Myers is the embodiment of a true nightmare-inducing psycho killer and has given fans countless sleepless nights. Over time, the movie franchise has evolved and is still one of the few horror movie series relevant today.
Halloween movies feature multiple timelines and have been rebooted repeatedly over four decades and 11 films. There are currently two more Halloween projects in the pipeline. The twelfth movie, Halloween Kills, is out this year on October 16th, 2021. The trailer dropped earlier today, increasing the hype around the scary slasher franchise.
Since there are still months left for Halloween Kills to arrive at theatres, fans might understandably want to revisit the horror movie franchise.
The Halloween franchise has 11 movies with four separate timelines that span over decades. Halloween III: Season of the Witch has been left out of the list because the movie didnt feature Michael Myers, and hence, it can be treated as a standalone film.
Heres the list of other Halloween movies in chronological order:
The franchise's first movie, a classic that defined the genre, introduced viewers to Michael Myers. The plot followed the antagonist, who is a murderer and an escaped patient from a psychiatric hospital. Michael Myers returns to Haddonfield, where he stalks a high school girl and later attacks her and her friends on Halloween night.
The movie can give chills to anyone and is a sheer masterpiece by the director John Carpenter.
Halloween II takes place in 1978 and is a direct sequel, while extending the first movies plot where. In the second film, Michael himself is being pursued by his psychiatrist after getting shot by him in the first part.
The movie serves as a good sequel to the John Carpenter classic and is directed by Rick Rosenthal.
After being absent from the third film of the franchise, Michael Myers reappears in the fourth installment, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers. Halloween 4 is a direct sequel to the second installment and continues Michaels story ten years after his disappearance. Along with Michael, the movie also features the return of another important character, Dr. Sam Loomis, Michaels psychiatrist.
This movie established the permanent status of Michael Myers as the main antagonist.
Also read: Top 5 family movies on Netflix you must watch
Halloween 5 once again saw the return of the antagonist from being nearly dead. Michael Myers goes on a killing spree, while his origin story is also explored in the movie.
However, the charm of the previous films started to vanish through this film due to the excessive use of similar horror movie tropes.
The Curse of Michael Myers was the last movie in the original series, and it was after this movie the first reboot in the franchise happened. The sixth installment in the series was declared an outright critical failure.
Also read: What's coming to Netflix in July 2021?
Also read: Where to watch Fast and Furious 9 online in India and South East Asia?
The seventh movie of the horror movie franchise ignores the events of all movies after the second part and serves as a direct sequel to Halloween II. The plot of the movie picks up 20 years after the second film. In Halloween H20, Michael returns for his revenge on Laurie while maintaining a low profile under a different name.
The third movie in the new timeline received mixed reviews and was seen as an upgrade from the previous train-wreck.
Set in 2001, Halloween: Resurrection is not a great movie and is one reason why the Halloween franchise rebooted again. The movie nullified all the progress the franchise had made with H20 and was an utter disappointment that marked the end of the second timeline.
Also read: Top 5 action movies on Netflix you must watch
Also read: Who plays Lady Loki?
In 2007, producers brought director Rob Zombie on board to direct the reboot of the 1978 classic. Rob Zombie brought his visions and remade the series while reimagining the menacing Michael Myers. The film involved many gory sequences and terrors of Michael in the fictional town of Haddonfield.
The movie was a direct follow-up of the 2007 horror movie and followed a similar plot with the vision of Rob Zombie. The directors new take changed the movie genre from slasher to conventional horror film by introducing supernatural elements.
The third timeline was again discontinued after the second movie of the franchise.
Also read: Top 3 Teen Netflix Movies you must watch
After a string of failures, the movie franchise was revitalized in 2018 by David Gordon Green. The movie nullifies all the events that happened after the 1978 classic and serves as a follow-up to Halloween (1978). The story starts 40 years after the events of the original movie with Laurie suffering from PTSD.
The movie adapts to the current era and stays more grounded to the horror reality. The brilliant adaptation resulted in making the movie the best in the franchise after the 1978 one.
Also read: Who is Idris Elba in The Suicide Squad?
The movie was left on a cliffhanger and is expected to be explored in the upcoming Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends, with the former releasing on October 16th, 2021. It will be interesting to see how the latest entry to the horror franchise will perform on the silver screen.
Also read: Top 5 thriller movies on Netflix you must watch
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- The 10 Best Horror Games of 2020 | Game Rant - GameRant - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Seven players the Mets should target in free agency - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Orioles GM: ownership is not selling the team - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- 10 underrated horror movies to watch on Halloween - The Indian Express - November 1st, 2020
- Brendan Gallagher Means Everything to the Canadiens - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Seattle Kraken will wait to name head coach - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Elton Brand, Sixers agree to multiyear extension - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Seahawks were interested in trading for Aldon Smith - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Sam Hinkie has no intention of ever returning to NBA - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- 'Babyteeth', 'True History of the Kelly Gang' and 'The Invisible Man' Lead the 2020 AATCA Nominations - Concrete Playground - November 1st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero