The vampire genre is mostly filled with terrible, schlocky violence - and that's what makes it so entertaining. For centuries, people have been entranced by the vampire myth, and every few years, the craze returns to film and TV in force. This year, it's Sony's turn with the Jared Leto-starring Morbius. If you enjoyed its schlocky good-bad trailer, these are the 11 must-watch vampire TV shows and movies to binge while you wait.
One of the hills I will die on is that Dracula Untold is not nearly as bad as people say. Yes, it's schlocky, and sometimes it's a little bit cheesy, but that's typical of vampire fiction. Luke Evans makes for a fantastically haunted Vlad Drculea in the film, which charts the birth of iconic movie monster, Count Dracula although the movie barely resembles the classic tale. Towards the end, Dracula Untold starts down a weird path intended to set up the now-pretty-much-defunct Universal Dark Universe , but for the most part, the movie presents a fun and over-the-top power fantasy about the lengths that people will go for love. Even turn themselves into spooky bat whisperers, apparently.
The post-Twilight years were unkind to The Vampire Diaries, which was written off as a cheap teen drama in an era filled with vampire fiction. While the first season leaned heavily into the teen drama genre, it evolved quickly by developing its supernatural lore and introducing new complications in the form of 'original vampires', werewolves, witches, hybrids and more. Yes, The Vampire Diaries comes with a generous helping of teen drama, but it's also got rampant murder and mayhem, and moments of genuine horror that are consistently entertaining, even when the show is at its worst.
Moonlight was a short-lived vampire drama on CBS starring Aussie actor Alex O'Loughlin as Mick St. John, a vampire detective attempting to protect a woman he'd once saved as a little girl. And then she gets old, and he doesn't, so they end up together. Yeah, okay. Despite that weird little quirk, Moonlight was a good, fun time. The dialogue was pretty nasty, but O'Loughlin put in a fantastic performance as eternal moper Mick, and he shouldn't be forgotten as one of TV's premier vampires. Sadly, Moonlight was cancelled after just one season, and before the vampire craze of the late 2000s kicked off but the episodes that we got were totally fun, even when they were silly as hell.
The George Clooney and Quention Tarantinto-starring From Dusk Till Dawn is a strange, strange film. It starts off simply enough, with two brothers escaping from a brazen heist. Along they way, they kidnap a family and eventually find themselves holed up in a mystery bar. Suddenly, the bar is being run by vampires, and they kill nearly everyone. Then one of the brothers turns into a vampire, and the other one has to kill him. It's fantastic, and comes highly recommended but if you're looking for something meatier, the film was turned into a TV series in 2014, and it expanded significantly on the original film's thin vampire lore.
D.J. Cotrona and Zane Holtz have fantastic chemistry as the Gecko brothers, and it's filled with fun, dumb action for the entire ride. It's also unique in that it ties its vampire lore directly into Mexican folklore, making it visually unique and impressive.
The Lost Boys was such a phenomenon that it's since spawned multiple (direct-to-DVD) sequels, a comic book continuation, a Pop Vinyl set and countless other merchandising opportunities largely thanks to Kiefer Sutherland's portrayal of vampire David. If you've never seen the film, you might assume he's the main character, but that honour goes to Sam and Michael Emerson, two brothers who end up confronting the vampires of Santa Carla alongside intrepid comic book nerds, the young Frog Brothers.
The Lost Boys is vampire schlock at its prime, and features the awesomely gross practical effects of the 1980s with true style. It also works as a companion film to the original version of Fright Night, another gloriously gory 80s vampire banger.
Being Human was a successful little show out of the BBC that featured a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost living together. Their chemistry buoyed the series, which went from lighthearted banter to moments of hideous gore and monstrous transformations at the drop of a hat. Naturally, the U.S. decided to 'borrow' the concept, and retooled it into their own version. While the names were changed, the spirit remains the same, and both of these shows are equally delightful and cheesy in good measure.
Speaking of BBC vampire drama, Young Dracula is another great (sometimes terrible) TV show that follows a family of vampires living in Wales. While it started out as a children's comedy (and many childish gags carry over from the early episodes), later seasons settled into a darker rhythm, expanding on the show's vampire lore, introducing new characters and flirting with the idea of all-out vampire war.
The show also has one of my favourite Count Dracula interpretations, with scene-chewing performances by Keith Lee Castle of a Dracula completely exasperated by his inability to kill mortals. It's irreverent, often silly and very schlocky, but it's still a great time.
Underworld is schlock at its finest, and for the most part, is just an excuse for Kate Beckinsale to run around in tight leather. But it's filled with plenty of bloody action and eye-catching setpieces. It also features a character I've been exclusively referring to as 'hot Michael Sheen', because Michael Sheen has no business being attractive in Underworld, and yet miraculously, mind-bogglingly, he is.
Underworld is about the centuries-old war between vampires and werewolves, and contains a deep lore that was explored in many, many equally bad sequels with equally bad acting. But it's oh-so-very watchable, and stylish in its awfulness.
Henry Fitzroy is the second vampire detective to make this list but he isn't the last. In this Canadian TV show, Henry Fitzroy (actually the illegitimate son of King Henry VIII) is a comic book writer and vampire detective who solves crimes with his near-blind partner, Vicki. Together, they beat interdimensional demons, incubuses, fiends and all manner of terrible creatures. The chemistry between Vicki and Henry really holds this terrible show together, but unfortunately they never got their happy ending the show received only 22 episodes. But what terrible joy those 22 episodes bring.
Near Dark arrived in the midst of the 80s vampire craze, but has long been overshadowed by enduring hits like The Lost Boys and Fright Night. Near Dark tells the tale of Caleb Colton (played by a young Adrian Pasdar, who would go on to play Nathan Petrelli in superhero drama Heroes), a young man bitten by a young woman, and later kidnapped by her stark-raving vampire family. It's a tale of teenage love, family and whole lot of vampires. Plus, there's plenty of blood, guts and feral hormones along the way.
Forever Knight was ahead of its time, and kickstarted the vampire detective genre that lasted well into the early 2000s and which is currently being revisited for the Quibi streaming service. The show follows established detective Nick Knight (a fantastically cheesy moniker) as he teams up with his oblivious partner Don Schanke to solve crime. The first two seasons are solidly entertaining, balancing Nick's dark past with his charming irreverence and witty banter.
It was a show ahead of its time, and that meant its end came suddenly, and stupidly, with a damp squib of an ending but before that final bum note, it was brilliantly silly and always exciting.
When vampire movies and TV shows are at their best, they're bloody, fun and yes, sometimes they're bad but that doesn't mean they can't also be ridiculously good fun.
Morbius is unlikely to be an Oscar contender when it comes out (no matter how much Jared Leto tries), but there's no doubt it'll still be a schlocky good time and I, for one, am very excited.
Morbius opens July 30 in Australia.
- What Vaccinating Vampire Bats Can Teach Us About Pandemics - MedPage Today - February 15th, 2020
- Morbius the Living Vampire Is Set for Marvel Debut with All-New Look - Honk News - February 15th, 2020
- The Outsider episode 6 review: The One About The Yiddish Vampire - Den of Geek UK - February 15th, 2020
- 10 Of The Best Vampire Shows Of All Time, Ranked (According To IMDb) - Screen Rant - February 13th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Characters Who Got Better As The Show Went On (& 5 Who Got Worse) - Screen Rant - February 13th, 2020
- Every Vampire Movie & TV Canon In What We Do In The Shadows - Screen Rant - February 13th, 2020
- WWE RAW HITS AND MISSES 2/10: Shayna the Vampire, Charlotte-Ripley, VIP Lounge with MVP and Drew, Orton-Hardy, Lynch vs. Asuka, Street Profits,... - February 13th, 2020
- Tara Thornton was the heart and soul of True Blood - SYFY WIRE - February 13th, 2020
- Tara Thornton was the center and soul of True Blood - BingePost - February 13th, 2020
- Rodarte Makes Delicate Vampire the Must-Have Beauty Look of Fall 2020 - Vogue - February 12th, 2020
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2: Release date, trailers, gameplay, and everything you need to know - Android Central - February 12th, 2020
- Check Out Photos of the World Premiere of Revenge Song: A Vampire Cowboys Creation - Playbill.com - February 12th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries star to play villain and potential love interest on Batwoman - digitalspy.com - February 12th, 2020
- At Anna Sui, the Modern Vampire Spends All Night at the Club - Vogue - February 12th, 2020
- 15 Things Most People Don't Know About The Making Of The Vampire Diaries - TheThings - February 12th, 2020
- Bet You Can't Name The Episode Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer From One Image! - WhatCulture - February 12th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 10 Most Iconic Speeches, Ranked - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries Crossover List Legacies, The Originals [Photos] - TVLine - February 6th, 2020
- Lil Nas X is a vampire and Nas is Morpheus (we think) in their "Rodeo" music video - The A.V. Club - February 6th, 2020
- The Hedge Fund Vampire That Bleeds Newspapers Dry Now Has the Chicago Tribune by the Throat - Vanity Fair - February 6th, 2020
- The Red Vein Army Wants To Help You Hunt For The Richmond Vampire - rvamag.com - February 6th, 2020
- Let my gnome cop teach you the perils of buying too much Sims 4 DLC - PC Gamer - February 6th, 2020
- V Wars Season 2: When Will It Return On Netflix? Expected Plot And More - Trending News Buzz - February 6th, 2020
- Listen: Superheroes, Stage Fights and Stealth Diversity - Variety - February 6th, 2020
- Tulane acquires archive of "Vampire" author Anne Rice - The Associated Press - February 5th, 2020
- Tulane acquires archive of Vampire author Anne Rice - Boston Herald - February 5th, 2020
- Lion dance or Chinese vampire? Melaka wedding bridesmaid gets laughs online for over-the-top reaction (VIDEO) - Malay Mail - February 5th, 2020
- Alyson Hannigan Thought She Bombed Her 'Buffy' Audition - RADIO.COM - February 5th, 2020
- MAFS recap & ratings: Love child of David Bowie and a vampire star of Ep 2 - Mediaweek - February 5th, 2020
- The Icelandic Gay Vampire Movie THIRST Acquired by LevelK - GeekTyrant - January 31st, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Reasons Why Damon And Alaric Arent Real Friends - Screen Rant - January 31st, 2020
- Season four of Vampire: The Masquerade - L.A. By Night debuts tonight - MP3s and NPCs - January 31st, 2020
- 10 Monsters In Buffy The Vampire Slayer That Kept You Up At Night - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2020
- The CW Sinks Its Teeth Into Rob Thomass Lost Boys Pilot - Vulture - January 31st, 2020
- First edition of The Vampyre by Polidori fetches for 3,800 at auction | Diss and Harleston News - Diss Mercury - January 31st, 2020
- Experts verdict on Gwyneth Paltrows cures from vagina steaming to vampire facials - The Irish Sun - January 31st, 2020
- Stream On: Dead and loving it! - The Outer Banks Voice - January 31st, 2020
- Morbius: 5 Comic Characters Who Need To Show Up In The Movie (& 5 Who Shouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 31st, 2020
- Vampire-Themed Visual Novel 'Dracu-Riot!' Coming West to PC - Noisy Pixel - January 31st, 2020
- 'Vampire' star sparks brilliant 'super-outburst' while gorging on its neighbor - Space.com - January 29th, 2020
- NASA Discovers Vampire Star Feeding On Its Stellar Companion - International Business Times - January 29th, 2020
- Morbius: 5 Things From The Comics The Movie Needs To Keep (& 5 That Are Better Left Out) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 29th, 2020
- Alab falters to Mono Vampire in ABL - Panay News - January 29th, 2020
- The Strain Season 5 Updates: Will The Vampire Series Return? - Screen Rant - January 28th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Quiz: Who Killed Who? - WhatCulture - January 28th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend Wins Best Alternative Music Album For 'Father Of The Bride' | 2020 GRAMMYs - Recording Academy | Grammys - January 27th, 2020
- BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER To Introduce 'Most Important New Character in 20+ Years' This APRIL - Newsarama - January 27th, 2020
- "Vampire" star discovered in the midst of a feeding frenzy, NASA Kepler spacecraft data reveals - CBS News - January 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Have Caught a 'Vampire' Star in The Act of Draining Its Companion - ScienceAlert - January 24th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Most Shameless Things Damon Ever Did - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2020
- Legacies Reveals First Look at the Return of Vampire Diaries' Kai Parker - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 24th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend to appear at Bernie Sanders' rally in Cedar Rapids - The Gazette - January 24th, 2020
- Grammy Predictions: Tool, Vampire Weekend, Cage The Elephant And Gary Clark Jr. May Win The Rock Awards - Forbes - January 24th, 2020
- This Is What Happens When You Watch Every Twilight in One Day, Years After the Fact - The Mary Sue - January 24th, 2020
- Vampire bat attacks in Trinidad and Tobago: What you need to know - Stabroek News - January 24th, 2020
- Review: Vampire: The Masquerade--Coteries of New York is a Great Primer to the World of Darkness - thirdcoastreview.com - January 24th, 2020
- Gal Gadot becomes vampire hunter in new adventure - The News International - January 24th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 10 Characters With The Highest Kill Counts, Ranked - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2020
- Vampires Fall: Origins Coming To Steam On January 31, 2020 Opening Game To Larger Player-Base - Happy Gamer - January 24th, 2020
- Morbius: Jared Letos vampire film may setup Blade in the MCU - Hidden Remote - January 24th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend and Bon Iver Headline Iowa Caucus Concerts in Support of Bernie Sanders - Grit Daily - January 24th, 2020
- Luxembourg - vampire of the Greater Region: Lorraine employers seek to stem employee haemorrhage - RTL Today - January 24th, 2020
- Here's What Nina Dobrev And The Rest Of The Cast Have Said About TVD - TheThings - January 24th, 2020
- The vampire film 'Caleb' hopes to deliver the same agony, eroticism and elegance as its predecessors [Trailer] - magviral - January 24th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is The Best Teen Show Of The '90s (& 5 Why Beverly Hills 90210 Is) - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2020
- Bet You Can't Name All Of These Buffy The Vampire Slayer Characters - WhatCulture - January 21st, 2020
- Now Playing! Noir City Visits Illicit Ports of Call at the Castro - KQED - January 21st, 2020
- Hajia Vampire threatens Police officer in the Mcberry Armwrestling Showdown on Friday - News Ghana - January 21st, 2020
- 10 Must-Watch Movies If You Love Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Screen Rant - January 20th, 2020
- White asparagus: The vampire in the garden - Iowa City Press-Citizen - January 18th, 2020
- Bears, vampire flies, and gut-busting cuisine are perils Harry and Meghan will face in new home - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 Release Date, Gameplay and All You Need To Know - Otakukart News - January 18th, 2020
- Look of the Week: Buffy Summers' birthday wear - SYFY WIRE - January 18th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries Turns 10: How Real-Life Plot Twists Shaped Everything From the Love Triangle to the Final Death - Sunriseread - January 18th, 2020
- From vampire facials to veganism: 9 things we learned from The Goop Lab with Gwyneth Paltrow - VOGUE India - January 18th, 2020
- Legacies - The Originals star hints at another return - digitalspy.com - January 18th, 2020
- PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS Actor Sean Whalen will star in the Vampire Thriller BELOW EVERYONE - GeekTyrant - NewsDio - January 18th, 2020
- Where did the urban legend of the dangerous Australian drop bear come from? - ABC News - January 18th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend - Enmore Theatre, Sydney 9/1/20 - Music Feeds - January 16th, 2020
- 'Morbius' trailer: Jared Leto's vampire is out for blood - New York Post - January 14th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero