The vampire genre is mostly filled with terrible, schlocky violence - and that's what makes it so entertaining. For centuries, people have been entranced by the vampire myth, and every few years, the craze returns to film and TV in force. This year, it's Sony's turn with the Jared Leto-starring Morbius. If you enjoyed its schlocky good-bad trailer, these are the 11 must-watch vampire TV shows and movies to binge while you wait.
One of the hills I will die on is that Dracula Untold is not nearly as bad as people say. Yes, it's schlocky, and sometimes it's a little bit cheesy, but that's typical of vampire fiction. Luke Evans makes for a fantastically haunted Vlad Drculea in the film, which charts the birth of iconic movie monster, Count Dracula although the movie barely resembles the classic tale. Towards the end, Dracula Untold starts down a weird path intended to set up the now-pretty-much-defunct Universal Dark Universe , but for the most part, the movie presents a fun and over-the-top power fantasy about the lengths that people will go for love. Even turn themselves into spooky bat whisperers, apparently.
The post-Twilight years were unkind to The Vampire Diaries, which was written off as a cheap teen drama in an era filled with vampire fiction. While the first season leaned heavily into the teen drama genre, it evolved quickly by developing its supernatural lore and introducing new complications in the form of 'original vampires', werewolves, witches, hybrids and more. Yes, The Vampire Diaries comes with a generous helping of teen drama, but it's also got rampant murder and mayhem, and moments of genuine horror that are consistently entertaining, even when the show is at its worst.
Moonlight was a short-lived vampire drama on CBS starring Aussie actor Alex O'Loughlin as Mick St. John, a vampire detective attempting to protect a woman he'd once saved as a little girl. And then she gets old, and he doesn't, so they end up together. Yeah, okay. Despite that weird little quirk, Moonlight was a good, fun time. The dialogue was pretty nasty, but O'Loughlin put in a fantastic performance as eternal moper Mick, and he shouldn't be forgotten as one of TV's premier vampires. Sadly, Moonlight was cancelled after just one season, and before the vampire craze of the late 2000s kicked off but the episodes that we got were totally fun, even when they were silly as hell.
The George Clooney and Quention Tarantinto-starring From Dusk Till Dawn is a strange, strange film. It starts off simply enough, with two brothers escaping from a brazen heist. Along they way, they kidnap a family and eventually find themselves holed up in a mystery bar. Suddenly, the bar is being run by vampires, and they kill nearly everyone. Then one of the brothers turns into a vampire, and the other one has to kill him. It's fantastic, and comes highly recommended but if you're looking for something meatier, the film was turned into a TV series in 2014, and it expanded significantly on the original film's thin vampire lore.
D.J. Cotrona and Zane Holtz have fantastic chemistry as the Gecko brothers, and it's filled with fun, dumb action for the entire ride. It's also unique in that it ties its vampire lore directly into Mexican folklore, making it visually unique and impressive.
The Lost Boys was such a phenomenon that it's since spawned multiple (direct-to-DVD) sequels, a comic book continuation, a Pop Vinyl set and countless other merchandising opportunities largely thanks to Kiefer Sutherland's portrayal of vampire David. If you've never seen the film, you might assume he's the main character, but that honour goes to Sam and Michael Emerson, two brothers who end up confronting the vampires of Santa Carla alongside intrepid comic book nerds, the young Frog Brothers.
The Lost Boys is vampire schlock at its prime, and features the awesomely gross practical effects of the 1980s with true style. It also works as a companion film to the original version of Fright Night, another gloriously gory 80s vampire banger.
Being Human was a successful little show out of the BBC that featured a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost living together. Their chemistry buoyed the series, which went from lighthearted banter to moments of hideous gore and monstrous transformations at the drop of a hat. Naturally, the U.S. decided to 'borrow' the concept, and retooled it into their own version. While the names were changed, the spirit remains the same, and both of these shows are equally delightful and cheesy in good measure.
Speaking of BBC vampire drama, Young Dracula is another great (sometimes terrible) TV show that follows a family of vampires living in Wales. While it started out as a children's comedy (and many childish gags carry over from the early episodes), later seasons settled into a darker rhythm, expanding on the show's vampire lore, introducing new characters and flirting with the idea of all-out vampire war.
The show also has one of my favourite Count Dracula interpretations, with scene-chewing performances by Keith Lee Castle of a Dracula completely exasperated by his inability to kill mortals. It's irreverent, often silly and very schlocky, but it's still a great time.
Underworld is schlock at its finest, and for the most part, is just an excuse for Kate Beckinsale to run around in tight leather. But it's filled with plenty of bloody action and eye-catching setpieces. It also features a character I've been exclusively referring to as 'hot Michael Sheen', because Michael Sheen has no business being attractive in Underworld, and yet miraculously, mind-bogglingly, he is.
Underworld is about the centuries-old war between vampires and werewolves, and contains a deep lore that was explored in many, many equally bad sequels with equally bad acting. But it's oh-so-very watchable, and stylish in its awfulness.
Henry Fitzroy is the second vampire detective to make this list but he isn't the last. In this Canadian TV show, Henry Fitzroy (actually the illegitimate son of King Henry VIII) is a comic book writer and vampire detective who solves crimes with his near-blind partner, Vicki. Together, they beat interdimensional demons, incubuses, fiends and all manner of terrible creatures. The chemistry between Vicki and Henry really holds this terrible show together, but unfortunately they never got their happy ending the show received only 22 episodes. But what terrible joy those 22 episodes bring.
Near Dark arrived in the midst of the 80s vampire craze, but has long been overshadowed by enduring hits like The Lost Boys and Fright Night. Near Dark tells the tale of Caleb Colton (played by a young Adrian Pasdar, who would go on to play Nathan Petrelli in superhero drama Heroes), a young man bitten by a young woman, and later kidnapped by her stark-raving vampire family. It's a tale of teenage love, family and whole lot of vampires. Plus, there's plenty of blood, guts and feral hormones along the way.
Forever Knight was ahead of its time, and kickstarted the vampire detective genre that lasted well into the early 2000s and which is currently being revisited for the Quibi streaming service. The show follows established detective Nick Knight (a fantastically cheesy moniker) as he teams up with his oblivious partner Don Schanke to solve crime. The first two seasons are solidly entertaining, balancing Nick's dark past with his charming irreverence and witty banter.
It was a show ahead of its time, and that meant its end came suddenly, and stupidly, with a damp squib of an ending but before that final bum note, it was brilliantly silly and always exciting.
When vampire movies and TV shows are at their best, they're bloody, fun and yes, sometimes they're bad but that doesn't mean they can't also be ridiculously good fun.
Morbius is unlikely to be an Oscar contender when it comes out (no matter how much Jared Leto tries), but there's no doubt it'll still be a schlocky good time and I, for one, am very excited.
Morbius opens July 30 in Australia.
- VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE - VENDETTA First Impression: An Asymmetric Card Game With A Thrilling Bite - GameTyrant - September 25th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Every Main Character, Ranked By Likability - Screen Rant - September 25th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries, Legacies, and The Originals Ships Ranked - Up News Info - September 25th, 2020
- It's Official, Sarah Michelle Gellar Has Revealed The Best Buffy The Vampire Slayer Episodes - Hit 107 - September 25th, 2020
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 5 Ways a Snyder Cut Could Improve the Series - Bleeding Cool News - September 25th, 2020
- The Witcher 3: 10 Tips For Completing The Blood And Wine DLC - TheGamer - September 25th, 2020
- SDCC 2019: Legacies creator Julie Plec teases new characters and reveals if any of the Vampire Diaries cast will be seen in season 2 - POP TIMES UK - September 22nd, 2020
- Art's Opinion: Batman-shmatman, the defining moment in Robert Pattinson's career was his performance in Breaking Dawn: Part 2 - Lamron - September 22nd, 2020
- Thirst: What We Know About The New Vampire Drama Developing On HBO - POP TIMES UK - September 20th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: Ranking The Top 10 Villains From Worst To Pure Evil - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Legacies: All About Wickery, the TVD Universe's Morbidly Named Answer to Quidditch - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 20th, 2020
- Doctor Who's Great Vampires Are More Terrifying Than Ever - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer': Joss Whedon Shares the Origin of Buffy's Name - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 20th, 2020
- BTS's V is 'Most Attractive Vampire' on Twitter - Somag News - September 20th, 2020
- Vampires, Hip-Hop Come Together In HBO's 'Thirst' - Horror News Network - September 20th, 2020
- Stills and news for 'Vampires Vs The Bronx' suggest classic style and comedy - Modern Horrors - September 20th, 2020
- How The Elder Scrolls 6 Could Shake Up Vampires and Werewolves - GameRant - September 20th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Ranking Every Season Finale From Worst To Best - WhatCulture - September 20th, 2020
- Is The Vampire Diaries leaving Netflix? Know about the fate of this supernatural drama - Republic World - Republic World - September 18th, 2020
- HBO is Developing a Hip Hop Vampire Drama Titled THIRST - GeekTyrant - September 18th, 2020
- BTS V, aka Taehyung, shows off his baseball skills & gets compared to Twilights vampire - Republic World - Republic World - September 18th, 2020
- The Shed's Biggest Plot Hole Explained (& Who's In The Trunk At The End) - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries Season 9 Plot, Cast, And Release Date Out The Storyline Of This Show - World Top Trend - September 18th, 2020
- Vampire Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Plot And All The Details You Need To Know - World Top Trend - September 18th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries season 9: The Characters That May Get Their Own Spin-Off And Number Of Episodes - World Top Trend - September 18th, 2020
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Things you forgot happened in season 1 - POP TIMES UK - September 18th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Cast: Where Are They Now? - WhatCulture - September 18th, 2020
- Picture Of Everything Else in Vault Comics December 2020 Solicits - Bleeding Cool News - September 18th, 2020
- Nail in the coffin: Eatery says Cuomos biz-killing curfew treats virus like vampire - The Real Deal - September 16th, 2020
- Vampire Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Plot And All The Possible Details Of The Show - World Top Trend - September 16th, 2020
- Shadows of New York Is Here To Feed Your Vampire The Masquerade Hunger - TheGamer - September 16th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: Here's The Characters That May Get Their Own Spinoffs - NationEditions - September 16th, 2020
- Twilight: 5 Ways The Books Are Better Than the Movies (& 5 Ways the Movies Are Better) - Screen Rant - September 16th, 2020
- Vampire Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Plot And Here Are All The Details You Need To Know - World Top Trend - September 14th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Times Bonnie Was The Stronger Witch (& 5 Times It Was Freya) - Screen Rant - September 14th, 2020
- The World Of Darkness Is Bring Vampires, Werewolves And Wraiths To PAX Online - Kotaku Australia - September 14th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries' Mystic Falls & 9 Other Fictional Teen Show Towns - Screen Rant - September 14th, 2020
- What We Do In The Shadows: 10 Best Episodes, According To IMDb - Screen Rant - September 14th, 2020
- The best beauty moments from Keeping Up with the Kardashians: Vampire facials, laser butt treatments, and more - Buro 24/7 Singapore - September 14th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The Sudden and Impossible Pregnancy of Caroline Forbes, Explained - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 12th, 2020
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Shadows of New York Review: Better Suited as a Comic Book - Screen Rant - September 12th, 2020
- Every Major Event In Klaus Plot From The Vampire Diaries To The Originals - Screen Rant - September 12th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries/The Originals: 5 Times Klaus Was A Good Brother (& 5 Times He Wasn't) - Screen Rant - September 12th, 2020
- The Witcher 3: 10 Pro Tips For Fighting Vampires | Game Rant - GameRant - September 12th, 2020
- Vampires vs. the Bronx Comes to Netflix October 2nd [EXCLUSIVE] - Screen Rant - September 12th, 2020
- Vampire Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Plot And Catch The All Updates - World Top Trend - September 12th, 2020
- Vampire Miyu: Saku manga will end in the next chapter - Finance Rewind - September 12th, 2020
- Hershey's 'fang-tastic' Halloween treats hit the shelves early - ConfectioneryNews.com - September 12th, 2020
- The Originals: 10 Things That Happened In Season 1 You Forgot About - Screen Rant - September 12th, 2020
- What we do in the Shadows Season 2 Release Dates, Cast, Plots and more updates here! - 90Xtra - September 12th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Every Actor Who Played Multiple Characters - Screen Rant - September 12th, 2020
- Deep Cuts: The Moth Diaries - SYFY WIRE - September 12th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Anti-graffiti Coatings and Films Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2028 with Top Players Like Hydron... - September 8th, 2020
- 'The Vampire Diaries': The Rules Of The 'Cure' Explained - TheThings - September 7th, 2020
- 10 Things To Watch If You Love Twilight | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - September 2nd, 2020
- Buffy spin-off Angel heads to All4 and E4 - RadioTimes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Originals: How Rebekah Mikaelson Got The Vampire Cure - Screen Rant - August 31st, 2020
- Which Character From The Vampire Diaries Is Your Soulmate, Based On Your Chinese Zodiac? - Screen Rant - August 31st, 2020
- The terrifying story of the Highgate vampire hunt - My London - August 31st, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Ways Katherine Was Inconsistent (& 5 She Stayed True To Herself) - Screen Rant - August 31st, 2020
- What We Do in the Shadows: Making TVs funniest show during a pandemic - Vox.com - August 31st, 2020
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer's 25 Greatest Characters of All Time, Ranked - Yahoo News - August 31st, 2020
- Hawk and Rev: Vampire Slayers - Film Threat - August 31st, 2020
- Did you know Robert Pattinson almost got fired from the vampire saga Twilight? - Republic World - Republic World - August 31st, 2020
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart Of The Forest Demo Impressions - TheGamer - August 31st, 2020
- The Originals: Who The Strongest Vampire Really Is | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - August 29th, 2020
- Astronomers discover the fastest-spinning white dwarf yet and it's a vampire - Space.com - August 29th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Worst Things Elena Did To Stefan (& 5 He Did To Her) - Screen Rant - August 29th, 2020
- The Classic Vampire Returns This October in 'Mimesis: Nosferatu' and We've Got the Trailer [Exclusive] - Bloody Disgusting - August 29th, 2020
- The Shed Brings Back the Good, Old Fashioned Vampire Tale - 25YearsLaterSite.com - August 29th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: Every Time the Vampire Characters Turned Off Their Humanity - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 29th, 2020
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Alum Candice King Just Shared an Adorable Maternity Photo - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 29th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Actor Who Almost Played Angel - Screen Rant - August 29th, 2020
- 10 Best '90s Vampire Movies, Ranked (According To IMDb) - Screen Rant - August 29th, 2020
- Why The Vampire Diaries Season 9 isnt happening in future - Devdiscourse - August 29th, 2020
- What Episode Do Damon And Elena Kiss For The First Time? & 9 Other Important Delena Episodes - Screen Rant - August 29th, 2020
- Grandpa bites it in creepy new clip from Shudder's vampire horror flick, The Shed - SYFY WIRE - August 29th, 2020
- Why The Originals Is Worth Rewatching Just For the Great, Sexy Evil That Is Klaus Mikaelson - POPSUGAR - August 29th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries Season 9: Release Date, Cast, Plot, And Everything You Needed To Know! - World Top Trend - August 29th, 2020
- 'Vampire'-accused to head back to court next week - Antigua Observer - August 29th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero