Eichners body is exhumed in Reimswaldau cemetery. Zamek Ksi w Wabrzychu
One of the countrys most notorious vampires is back in the press over three-hundred years after first terrorizing the darkest depths of Silesia.
Buoyed in part by the runaway success of Netflixs Dracula series, Zamek Ksi has chosen to highlight its own local vamp by retelling the story of Georg Eichner, a resident of what was then the village of Reimswaldau (today, Rybnica Lena).
Gleefully repeated by the local media, the story which first appeared on the castles Facebook page a couple of days back has thrust the vampire back into the spotlight.
Ksi Castle: the seat of the Hochberg Family.Zamek Ksi w Wabrzychu
People enjoy being scared, they like mysteries and things that cant be explained, says Matt Mykytyszyn of Zamek Ksi, so given the popularity of the new Dracula series we thought it was a great time to remind people about our own regions vampire.
Though little is known about Eichners earlier life, his name found itself etched into local legend following his death in 1709. Till then, he had led a quiet and unassuming life, with the one point of note being his scandalous conversion from Catholicism to the Protestant church.
This, it was thought at the time, was the reason behind a chain of events that left the habitants of Reimswaldau fearing for their lives.
We have to remember that our system of beliefs is completely different nowadays to what it was 300-years ago, says Mykytyszyn.Zamek Ksi w Wabrzychu
Shortly after his death, it was reported that Eichner had been seen stalking the village, frightening neighbours and mutilating animals. A staunch defender of his name, Eichners widow was adamant that this had nothing to do with her deceased husband, but such was the public outcry a letter was written by the mayor and delivered to the nearby Ksi Castle asking Count Konrad Ernest Maksymilian von Hochberg to personally intervene.
Arriving on June 26, the contents of the letter were dissected by Hochberg who held judicial power of the village and within days the Count turned up at the settlement with an experienced exorcist in tow.
On exhumation, the lifting of the coffin lid revealed a corpse that had decomposed aside from its heart, liver, intestines and left knee, which had survived in perfect working order.
An old photo of Reimswaldau, now called Rybnica Lena.Zamek Ksi w Wabrzychu
Shocked by their findings, the body was swiftly transferred to a decrepit cemetery beyond the villages boundaries.
This didnt help, says Mykytyszyn. Within two weeks Eichner had returned, sometimes taking the form of a black dog and at other times an over-sized squirrel.
Women were particularly vulnerable with some reporting being sexually molested by the giant animal.
Another letter was despatched to Ksi Castle, and this time Hochberg ordered eight of his men to guard Eichners house and grave day and night until a solution could be found. Later, these guards reported strange noises coming from the house and a terrifying raven circling above.
Count Hochberg: the man charged with dealing with the vampire.Zamek Ksi w Wabrzychu
With the village in a state of panic, Hochberg returned along with a priest from Boguszw. Under the highest orders from the churchs administration in Wrocaw, the body was again removed from the casket, carried through a hole in the cemetery wall, and then burned, but not before Eichners head was cut off and his heart pierced with an aspen stake.
Overseeing this personally, it is said that Hochberg sat in a gilded throne covered with elephant blankets whilst acting as witness to the macabre operation.
Rubble from the cemetery wall was dispensed with along with the coffin and then resealed using new materials, but this was not the end. In a final twist, the new wall collapsed two days after. To the relief of the locals, this was to prove the final twist in the story and thereafter the villagers were able to resume their lives unhindered.
There were reports that Eichner had returned from the dead in the form of a giant squirrel and sexually molested some women.Ronald Wittek/PAP/EPA
That this happened is not disputed. To this day, manuscripts retrieved from Ksi Castle after the war recording this entire episode sit in the State Archives in Wrocaw alongside several metres of other documents chronicling the castles history under the Hochbergs patronage.
What is open to debate is if this was a genuine paranormal happening, a case of mass hysteria or simply an elaborate prank conducted by mischief makers. Quite possibly, it was a combination of all three but the truth, it appears, will never be known.
We have to remember that our system of beliefs is completely different nowadays to what it was 300-years ago, says Mykytyszyn. But while we might not believe in werewolves and vampires as readily as people did in the past, thats not to say that this story shouldnt be remembered and respected.
- Vampires are still just the worst in the new trailer for Netflix's Castlevania - The A.V. Club - February 15th, 2020
- The Lost Boys review a bloody, ingenious reflection on youth - The Guardian - February 15th, 2020
- 10 Fan-Favorite Anime Of The 2000s That Would Not Fly Today | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 15th, 2020
- The Redemption Of Cain: Is Will Smith's Directorial Debut Still Happening? - Screen Rant - February 15th, 2020
- Doctor Who trailer promises most gruesome, spine-chilling ghost story of all time packed with zombies and va - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Discovery of Witches Season 2 Release Date, Cast, Plot Everything We Know So Far - Union Journalism - February 15th, 2020
- The Lost Boys: cheesy vintage vampires brooding, pouting and big-haired - The Irish Times - February 14th, 2020
- True Blood Isn't An Allegory For Gay Rights (No Matter What Fans Think) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2020
- Dracula Showrunners Explain How the Vampire Show Could Be Resurrected for a Second Season - Gizmodo - February 14th, 2020
- Music Review: Vampire Weekend: Six years of waiting well worth it, indie lovers say - Etownian - February 14th, 2020
- What to Expect From the World Premiere 'Creation' Revenge Song at the Geffen Playhouse - Playbill.com - February 14th, 2020
- Coffee Talk review: a chill game about coffee and vampires - The Verge - February 13th, 2020
- The Outsider Episode 6 Review: The One About the Yiddish Vampire - Den of Geek US - February 10th, 2020
- Love is in the air, or in the app | - theberkshireedge.com - February 10th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 10 Reasons Why Buffy And Willow Aren't Real Friends - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2020
- Theater in L.A. this week: 'Revenge Song: A Vampire Cowboys Creation' and more - Los Angeles Times - February 9th, 2020
- The Outsider Recap: The One About the Yiddish Vampire - The Spool - February 9th, 2020
- Doctor Strange Takes on a Vampire Tattoo... Not the Latest MTV Reality Series, it's Dr. Strange #3 [Preview] - Bleeding Cool News - February 9th, 2020
- 10 Things Wed Want From A Vampire Hunter D Game | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 9th, 2020
- From rocking in the aisles to Vampire's Rock to an exhibition on the magic of colour - here are a few things to do in Blackpool today - Friday,... - February 9th, 2020
- Michael Malarkey Says Hes Open to Coming Back to the "The Vampire Diaries" World as Enzo in "Legacies" - Seventeen.com - February 9th, 2020
- Total War: Warhammer 2 will let the Vampire Coast raise the dead at sea again - PCGamesN - February 8th, 2020
- From geek to goddess, Willow was more than a sidekick on Buffy the Vampire Slayer - SYFY WIRE - February 8th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs is still the 'giant vampire squid': When will it decide to change? - The Independent - February 8th, 2020
- Morbius: 10 Reasons Jared Leto Is Perfect For The Role | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 8th, 2020
- 'The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires' Tapped for Series Development at Amazon - Horror News Network - February 5th, 2020
- This 'vampire' star system had an outburst brighter than those sparkly Twilight vamps - SYFY WIRE - February 3rd, 2020
- Kai Parker Is the Best Villain in The Vampire Diaries Franchise - POPSUGAR - February 3rd, 2020
- The Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Cast Is Still Active In L.A. By Night - TheGamer - February 3rd, 2020
- Tulane University acquires archive from Anne Rice, author of the "Vampire" - gotech daily - February 3rd, 2020
- Alyson Hannigan Thought She Completed Bombed Her 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Audition - Just Jared - February 3rd, 2020
- Van Helsing: 10 Differences You Didnt Notice Between The TV Series & The Movie - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2020
- The Final Scramble Before the Iowa Caucuses - The New York Times - February 1st, 2020
- What we do in the shade: Who was not recognized at Comedian-Con? The cast also reads Real Vampire Invites - Techno EA - February 1st, 2020
- Vampires | Marvel Database | Fandom - February 1st, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Thinks "Vampires Are Sexy" And 15 Other Things She's Admitted - TheThings - February 1st, 2020
- Experts verdict on Gwyneth Paltrows cures from vagina steaming to vampire facials - The Sun - February 1st, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The Best Episode of Each Season, According To IMDb - Screen Rant - January 29th, 2020
- Vampires | Arrowverse Wiki | Fandom - January 28th, 2020
- Vampire | Warhammer Wiki | Fandom - January 28th, 2020
- Coffee Talk is a chill game where you chat with vampires and cat girls - Polygon - January 28th, 2020
- How to Become a Vampire in Real Life and Why You Should Think ... - January 28th, 2020
- Coffee Talk is a relaxed game where you chat with vampires and cat girls - NewsDio - January 28th, 2020
- Vampires Rock at the Roses Theatre with anthems - Worcester News - January 28th, 2020
- The Return of the Vampire - Oracle Globe - January 27th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend Celebrates Best Alternative Music Album Win - E! Online - January 27th, 2020
- Grammys 2020: Indie heroes Vampire Weekend win Best Alternative Music Album for 'Father of the Bride' - MEAWW - January 27th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries star returning to The CW to oversee Batwoman episode - digitalspy.com - January 27th, 2020
- Vampire bat attacks in T&T: What you need to know - Trinidad & Tobago Express Newspapers - January 27th, 2020
- Goth Won't Die, but It Wants a Funeral Anyway - JSTOR Daily - January 27th, 2020
- Vampire Star Thats Absorbing its Companion Revealed by Scientists - Dual Dove - January 26th, 2020
- Sanders to hold Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend concerts in Iowa ahead of caucuses | TheHill - The Hill - January 24th, 2020
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 5 Reasons Faith Is The Best Slayer (& 5 Why It'll Always Be Buffy) - Screen Rant - January 20th, 2020
- Greymoor has come to The Elder Scrolls Online, The Game Now Has Vampire-Hunting And Supernatural Storms - Happy Gamer - January 20th, 2020
- V Wars Season 2: Ian Somerhalder On The Upcoming Season And How Fans Can Play A Big Part - The Global Coverage - January 20th, 2020
- Bet You Can't Name All Of These Buffy The Vampire Slayer Characters Do you remember - WhatCulture - January 20th, 2020
- Where Was Legacies Filmed? The CW TV Show Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - January 20th, 2020
- The Elder Scrolls Online is heading to Skyrim to deal with pesky vampires - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 18th, 2020
- Vampires and other Horrors Moving Into ESO's Skyrim - GameIndustry.com - January 18th, 2020
- U.K.'s Daily Mail warns Harry and Meghan that Canada's full of vampire flies, morally bankrupt bears, and poutine - Straight.com - January 18th, 2020
- Skyrim has a vampire problem in The Elder Scrolls Online's next year of updates - PC Gamer - January 16th, 2020
- TV's toothless vampire - The Tablet - January 16th, 2020
- Book review: 'Vampire on the Orient Express' comes alive on Amazon - Oklahoman.com - January 16th, 2020
- Ian Somerhalder Is Doing a Different Kind of Vampire Show This Time - menshealth.com - January 16th, 2020
- The star signs of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - SYFY WIRE - January 16th, 2020
- Live out your perfect monster mash in Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, and prepare to get bloody - GamesRadar+ - January 15th, 2020
- Top 10 Anime Vampires That Are Better Than Morbius - Comicbook.com - January 15th, 2020
- My Chemical Romance fans think the band are teasing a Black Parade sequel - PopBuzz - January 15th, 2020
- Sara Canning (The Vampire Diaries) : that becomes the interpreter of Jenna since his departure - The Times Hub - January 15th, 2020
- Dracula review: Messy first season presents low bar for further adventures of opera-cloaked vampire - The Hindu - January 11th, 2020
- V Wars Season 2 Release Date, Cast, Plot And Is It The Best Vampire Story ? - Pop Culture Times - January 11th, 2020
- Lesbian Romances for the Uprising: WLW Recommendations - Book Riot - January 10th, 2020
- REVIEW: BBCs Dracula Is a Muddled, Tiresome Take on the Iconic Vampire - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 7th, 2020
- The Birth Of The Vampire: 200 Years Of The Genre - BBC History Magazine - January 7th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Times Bonnie Bennett Was The Real Hero Of Mystic Falls - Screen Rant - January 6th, 2020
- Australia Fires And Technologys Climate Vampire: Why The Environmental Impact Of 5G Expansion Could Be Massive - International Business Times - January 6th, 2020
- 19th century vampire in Connecticut is finally identified - 1428 Elm - January 6th, 2020
- The WB Launched 25 Years Ago, and Millennials Will Never Forget - TVInsider - January 6th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 6th, 2020
- Women's love affair with the vampire archive, 1993 - The Guardian - January 4th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero