The Twilight Saga has had a rebirth on Netflix over the last couple of months, much to the delight of our 2010s selves.
But in the years since the first films 2008 release and the books 2005 publication analyses of and revelations about the making of the blockbuster series have tarnished its likability.
Amongst Gen Z, some have accused Twilight of containing Mormon propaganda, which was explored in this TikTok.
For the purposes of this article, it must be distinguished that Meyers more racially biased influences stem from Mormonism as it existed in the 1800s and 1900s, before the Church of Latter-Day Saints grew to reject the term.
Though some Black people say racial discrimination still exists in the Church, Meyers books and their influences should in no way be a reflection on the attitudes of the entire Church.
From Stephanie Meyers alleged resistance to casting people of color to her more implicit racial bias within the books, theres plenty of racist moments in The Twilight Saga.
RELATED: How Twilight's Toxic Relationships Normalized Underage Grooming
Lets start with claims made by Catherine Hardwicke the director of the first instalment of the film series in 2018 about Meyers influence over casting choices.
I wanted a lot more of the cast to be diverse, Hardwicke claims, adding that Meyer, who was raised in the Church Of Latter-Day Saints, was resistant due to how she had envisioned her characters.
Alice, I wanted her to be Japanese! I had all these ideas. And she just could not accept the Cullens to be more diverse.
Hardwicke says the author put her foot down, refusing to have any people of color play the Cullens.
She said, I wrote that they had this pale glistening skin! Hardwicke alleged. Meyers did eventually concede on having a Black, Kenyan actor play Laurent a terrifying villain.
She also allowed Hispanic and Asian actors to play Bellas high school friends who are sideline characters at best.
Hardwick was a celebrated female director before being booted from the franchise and branded difficult.
One could argue her criticisms of Meyers are unjustified. In the Breaking Dawn films, several people of color are hosted by the Cullens as part of their international vampire army.
She also shows diversity in her inclusion of Jacob Blacks Native American Quileute community throughout the series well get to that later.
But Hardwicke didnt even need to accuse Meyers of playing racial favorites when it came to her characters Meyers did that all by herself.
Meyers has acknowledged that her faith as a Latter-Day Saint often referred to as Mormon, though the Church discourages that word influences her work.
It appears some of the Churchs older, racist teachings may have weaved their way into Meyers writing.
Meyers published, The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide in 2015 as a handbook detailing the world of vampires. In it, she does not mince her words when it comes to her characters racial appearance.
She writes that vampire venom bleaches all pigment from the skin as it changes the human skin into the more indestructible vampire form. White = indestructible. Ok, Meyers.
Regardless of original ethnicity, a vampires skin will be exceptionally pale, she continues, adding that darker skin tones may turn olive-toned but will not be dark.
The approach to skin tone is evocative of early Mormon teachings, often espoused by founder Joseph Smith. Smith supposedly believed in the idea of racial redemption for people of color by converting to the Mormon faith.
Later, Brigham Young would teach Mormon followers the racist folk belief that Black people are descended from Cain, a Biblical figure cursed for murdering his brother.
When read alongside these teachings, Meyers bleaching of pigmented skin to create some heavenly, pale vampire figure takes on a whole new meaning.
Racial discrimination issues that existed in Mormonism, in the era from which Meyers draws influence, must be acknowledged in their historical context.
Racism was prolific across society in this era and was in no way exclusive to the Mormon Church.
RELATED: 7 Rom-Coms That Deserve A Facebook Mini-Series Over 'Twilight'
It must also be kept in mind that, in the book series, Carlisle Cullen was born in the 1660s. He formed his vision to save human lives rather than take them in a period where historic Mormonism was spreading in Europe.
Carlisle took up medical practice in the 1840s, the same time as Joseph Smiths restoration of the gospel in America.
His enlightened vision is a challenge to the original order of ancient Italian vampires, the Volturi, who are barely disguised as symbols of the Catholic Church in the book.
That Meyers bases her book on some of the racism in Mormon history should be no surprise given the Churchs obvious influence over her plot.
Join now for YourTango's trending articles, top expert advice and personal horoscopes delivered straight to your inbox each morning.
The Cullens, so often described with heavenly imagery, capitalize on the well-established association between white and good.
So, in Meyers world, it seems only fitting that the Cullens find mortal enemies in some of the few people of color in the movie the Quileute werewolf pack.
The Twilight movies were once praised for casting indigenous actors to play these Native American characters and not over-using harmful tropes.
But even these allowances only thinly veil Meyers discriminatory depiction of the Native community.
Edward symbolises whiteness and Jacob, by juxtaposition, is anything but. He has dark hair, copper skin, brown eyes. Even his last name Black distances him from any association with lightness.
Jacob is the antagonist in Edwards life and though he isnt necessarily evil, he is certainly there to disrupt Edward and Bellas love story.
Then there is the fact that Meyers makes Black and his fellow characters of color a community descendant from human-animal hybrids who transform into werewolves.
Jacob, with all his dark associations, is a character whose entire purpose is to prevent Bella from achieving the vampire redemption she so craves.
He ultimately fails, however, and Edward gives Bella the ultimate gift immortality as a heavenly, pale vampire. Just as Meyers wanted.
RELATED: 'Shadow And Bone,' 'Twilight' And Taylor Swift Why People 'Sneer At What Women And Teen Girls Love'
Alice Kelly is a senior news and entertainment editor for YourTango. Based out of Brooklyn, New York, her work covers all things social justice, pop culture, and human interest. Keep up with her Twitter for more.
View original post here:
Why Stephanie Meyers Specifically Wrote That All Vampires In 'Twilight' Must Be White - YourTango
- "What We Do in the Shadows" revels in the fecklessness of vampires who fail upward - Salon - September 5th, 2021
- Tony Lindsay Returns to Speculative Fiction With 'Melody Knight a Vampire's Tale' - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- When Will Vampire Diaries Co-Creator Julie Plec Acknowledge the Horrible Treatment of Bonnie Bennett? - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- LA By Night, the best damn vampire show around, is returning for its final season - The Next Web - September 5th, 2021
- Psychology of friendship: the rise of the social vampire - Stylist Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Sharkmob Explains Where 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt' Fits in the Series Canon - Newsweek - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Revenant', 'Interview With a Vampire', 'The Patriot', and More Get Many of Their Props From the Same Place - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Blade Reboot Director Explains How The Vampire Hunter Is Being Handled For The MCU - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- Meet The Ferat Vampire, A Modern Interpretation Of A Classic By Skoda - CarScoops - September 5th, 2021
- Bonnie Tyler hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" is about vampires - Boing Boing - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Fear Is a Blessing in Spanish Vampire Fantasy 'All the Moons' - PopMatters - September 5th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3: What Joining the Vampire Council Means for the Roommates - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- From 'Interviews With Some Vampires' to 'Wellington Paranormal' - The Evolution of 'What We Do in the Shadows' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- [Review] Glenn Danzig's 'Death Rider in the House of Vampires' Has All the Charm...and Flaws of 'Verotika' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- Dracula fans furious after being told they cant see the vampires grave at North Yorks church... - The US Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampires: Inside the Making of What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 - Rolling Stone - August 24th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Prepares For Colin Robinson's 100th Birthday - Den of Geek - August 24th, 2021
- Edge Evokes the Shadow of The Blood and the Vampire on SmackDown - Last Word on Baseball - August 24th, 2021
- Film Review: ALL THE MOONS: The Best Vampire Film in Years [Fantasia 2021] - FilmBook - August 24th, 2021
- New "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" YA books will focus on Willow's kid being Chosen - Boing Boing - August 24th, 2021
- 'Interview With the Vampire' Is Coming to a Small Screen Near You - Esquire - July 26th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Pits a Vampire Against Hijackers and Almost Lives Up to That Killer Concept - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampire AMC Series Taps Mad Men, Game of Thrones Alum Alan Taylor to Direct (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3 Teaser Peddles a Nice Bone, an Evil Bucket, and More - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 6 Vampire Movies Are Dominating Netflix This Weekend - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- Alan Taylor to direct Interview with the Vampire - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer quiz: Get full marks and you're the chosen one - The Tab - July 26th, 2021
- Rules Vampires Have To Follow In Every Twilight Movie - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Vampire Slayers Unite: Kate Beckinsale Wanted to Mash Together the Worlds of 'Blade' and 'Underworld' - Bloody Disgusting - July 26th, 2021
- The Most Brutal Deaths In Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- No money to bury child victims of 'Vampire Killer' - The Star, Kenya - July 26th, 2021
- Nicki Swift The Real Reason David Boreanaz Left Buffy The Vampire Slayer 19 hours ago - Nicki Swift - July 26th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Interview With The Vampire - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- Is Cofidis a team of vampires? - CyclingTips - July 11th, 2021
- For female vampire bats, an equal chance to rule the roost - The Ohio State University News - July 11th, 2021
- Fairer sex: Colonies of female-only vampire bats live in equal societies - The Independent - July 11th, 2021
- What Happened To The Cast Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer? - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- New track by Vampire Weekends Ezra Koenig features in I Think You Should Leave - NME - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Best Im Dead And I Know It Moments In Vampire Horror Movies - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- Dave Bautista is Allegedly Looking to Do a Vampire Movie - TVOvermind - July 11th, 2021
- 'Near Dark' Is A Uniquely American Masterpiece Of An Unheralded Cinematic Subgenre: The Vampire Neo-Western - Decider - July 11th, 2021
- Let the Right One In TV Series Will Include Multiple Vampires - ComicBook.com - July 11th, 2021
- The skeleton of a 'vampire' discovered has revealed its secrets - Gentside - July 11th, 2021
- Microsoft announces Redfall, a vampire shooter from the team behind Dishonored - The Verge - June 14th, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade coming to Roll20 with new 5th edition module - Polygon - June 14th, 2021
- Some Thoughts On Vampire The Masquerade: Winter's Teeth #6 - Bleeding Cool News - June 14th, 2021
- Ex-Vampire Weekend Rostam talks oppression, mushrooms, Bruce - Los Angeles Times - June 14th, 2021
- AMC's Interview with the Vampire Series Is Making Some Big Changes from the Book - TVweb - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire: Louis will be played by a black actor in the new adaptation of the novel Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Revisiting the Disappointingly Brief History of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Video Game Adaptations - Bloody Disgusting - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire TV Series Reveals a Big Twist to Anne Rice's Novel - MovieWeb - June 14th, 2021
- Scarlett Moffatt insists vampires walk among us and is convinced Richard Madeley could be one of them... - The Sun - June 14th, 2021
- Arkanes New Fantasy IP is Reportedly Called Omen; Vampire-Related and Coming Next Year Rumour - GamingBolt - May 21st, 2021
- Jakobs Wife is an amazing vampire marriage therapy mash-up you can stream at home right now - San Antonio Current - May 8th, 2021
- Van Helsing's final season wants vampires to 'pay the price' in deadly teaser for Episode 5 - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2021
- V Rising is a vampire action-adventure game where you get your own castle - Destructoid - May 8th, 2021
- Resident Evil Village is more schlocky B-movie than Tall Vampire Lady thirst trap - British GQ - May 8th, 2021
- Candice King Wants to Reprise The Vampire Diaries Role on Legacies - TV Fanatic - May 8th, 2021
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Fans Love to Visit the Real-Life Mystic Grill Inspired By the Hit Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 8th, 2021
- So, I Just Watched "Twilight" For The First Time, And I Have 21 Very Important Questions - BuzzFeed - May 8th, 2021
- Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley Say They Fought At the End of "The Vampire Diaries" - Seventeen.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything to know about PRP therapy, the Vampire Facial for your eyes - image.ie - May 8th, 2021
- This Week in Anime - Is Mars Red Too High Brow? - Anime News Network - May 8th, 2021
- Vampire facials spa owner linked to HIV cases faces 24 charges - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - April 23rd, 2021
- The Boys From County Hell Puts Its Own Bite on the Vampire Genre - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell Review: Irish Vampires and a Plucky Horror Comedy - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys From County Hell Review: Irish Vampire-Comedy Tries to Reinvent the Myth - ComicBook.com - April 23rd, 2021
- How Vampire Weekend guided me into fatherhood - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell is an Irish vampire plague based in roots and friendship rot - Kansas City Pitch - April 23rd, 2021
- Are Resident Evil Villages Vampires and Werewolves the Future of the Franchise? - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- The spookiest places to visit in Scotland from haunted castles to vampire infested graveyards - Daily Record - April 23rd, 2021
- Did It Happen On The Vampire Diaries Or The Originals? New - WhatCulture - April 23rd, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' Takes On Marital and Patriarchal Standards With A Vampire Premise About A Woman's Awakening From the Mundane - Substream Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Are We Attracted to Vampires? Berkeley High Jacket - berkeleyhighjacket.com - April 5th, 2021
- Review: Hunted by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk - The Nerd Daily - April 5th, 2021
- Continuous Vampire Attack: The AMM Wars Are Getting Interesting With Integral - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - April 5th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Hardest Cordelia Quiz On The Internet! - WhatCulture - April 5th, 2021
- Hawk and Rev: Vampire Slayers Watch Party Will Slay You! - Film Threat - April 5th, 2021
- "9 Best Vampire Themed Slots - Online Gambling for Real Money - BestUSCasinos.org - April 5th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Details Teased at PaleyFest /Film - /FILM - April 5th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero