Attention horror movie fans: HBO Max has a premium selection of the scariest, spookiest, creepiest movies around. If youre looking for a Halloween movie night to haunt your nightmares, or if youre brushing up on your film history, the streaming service is a one-stop shop. It houses a number of classic originals like Poltergeist and The Shining, as well as modern remakes and sequels, like Doctor Sleep and Annabelle: Creation. From slashers like Saw to more light-hearted flicks like Scream and The Witches of Eastwick, HBO Max is the home for horror. Here, find 20 of the scariest movies on the platform.
Sign Up for HBO Max
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
The Amityville Horror (1979)
Inspired by the true story of the 1974 DeFeo family murders, the tale of the Amityville Horror House is one of the most legendary scary stories. The original 1979 movie is available on the streaming platform, as well as the 2005 remake starring Ryan Reynolds. (And it is some of Reynolds finest work.)
The films in the Saw franchise are notoriously gruesome, making them a favorite among those who enjoy the slasher side of the horror genre. These torture-filled movies are certainly not for the faint of heart, but if you want to watch Jigsaw play his games, HBO Max houses the seven original films.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Come for Jack Nicholsons stellar (terrifying) performance, stay for the classic Stanley Kubrick visuals and cinematics in this movie masterpiece. Die-hard fans can even stay in the very hotel room that inspired Stephen King to pen the story.
This 2019 follow-up to The Shining makes for a perfect double feature. Watch Ewan McGregor play grown-up Dan Danny Torrance as he grapples with the events he lived through at the Overlook Hotel and the supernatural ability that made it possible for him to see those creepy twins in the first place.
Do you like scary movies? Clearly, yes. This cult classic is more self-aware satire than scary, making it an enjoyable watch even for those who dont typically like the (often clich) genre. Directed by Wes Craven, it stars Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courteney Cox, and Drew Barrymore (albeit only for the opening sequence).
Theyre here and by here, we mean on HBO Max. Loved by critics and audiences alike, this flick became a classic as soon as Carol Anne first looked into that television screen. On the New York Time's Guide to the 1,000 Best Movies Ever Made, its one of only 23 horror films listed.
Freddy vs. Jason
The match-up of these two iconic horror villainsNightmare on Elm Streets Freddy Krueger and Friday the 13ths Jason Voorheesgives new meaning to double trouble. Fans of the original movies will enjoy this crossover, the plot of which ultimately brings the action back to Camp Crystal Lake for an explosive finale.
As the name suggests, this installment in The Conjuring cinematic universe tells the origin story for Annabelle, creepy haunted doll extraordinaire. Somewhat unusually, this prequel was considered by many critics to be better than the original. So, if you were a fan of Annabelle, youll definitely want to add this to your watch list.
The Mummy (1959)
While it might not be frightful by todays horror movie standards, it is one of the genres oldest films available for streaming, and for that, it should be revered. It tells the tale of a mummy who seeks revenge on anyone who dares to desecrate the tomb of an Egyptian princess.
Clowns are a very common fear, and Stephen Kings killer clown Pennywise is certainly part of why the creepy characters have become prevalent in pop culture since the original films 1990 release. While most remakes fall flat, the 2017 adaptation starring Bill Skarsgrd as Pennywise was a smash hit and received rave reviews. It even became one of the highest grossing R-rated movies of all time. Although, if you suffer from coulrophobia, maybe skip this one.
The Crow tells the story of a man, Eric Draven, and his fianc, both of whom are murdered the night before their wedding. Draven, played by Brandon Lee (son of Bruce Lee), is resurrected with supernatural abilities and the mission to get revenge on his killers. Arguably, this film was made famous by Lees tragic death, which occurred due to an incident with a prop gun while filming. Paramount Pictures chose to abandon the project after Lees death, but Miramax acquired the rights and finished the film. It has since garnered a cult following. A remake was said to be in the works, with Jason Momoa cast in Lees role, however production fell through in 2018.
King Kong (1933)
King Kong is a classic not just for the horror genre, but for cinema as a whole. As with The Mummy, viewers might be underwhelmed by the 1930s-era movie magic (or lack thereof). But when it comes to creeps and thrills, it shouldnt be counted out just yet. It was even listed as #6 in Rotten Tomatoes Top 100 Horror Movies."
The Blob (1958)
Protocol exists for handling most monsters and villains. Vampire? Wooden stake. Werewolf? Silver bullet. Demon? Exorcism (fingers crossed). Psychopath? A strait jacket should do. But a shapeless, indescribable, indestructible entity that no one can explain or control? Utterly terrifying. The Blob also marked Steve McQueens feature film debut, although critics were not initially impressed with the actor.
The Witches of Eastwick
This isnt a horror movie per se, but it features the devil, witchcraft, and Jack Nicholson, so it qualifies. An adaptation of John Updikes 1984 novel, The Witches of Eastwick follows Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Susan Sarandon as they unknowingly form a coven and become entangled with a mysterious, dare we say devilish, man who wreaks havoc when he moves to town. The cast in this dark comedy is unmatched, and Nicholson in particular was praised for his performance.
From the same writer who penned The Ring, this film tells the story of a single mom who moves into a shabby apartment building with her young daughter. The creepy, unexplainable occurrences begin with dark water dripping from their apartments ceiling, and it only gets worse from there. But perhaps the scariest parts of this film are its eerie similarities to the real-life case of Elisa Lam. This film came out in 2005, eight years before Lams disappearance and death.
Snakes on a Plane
What happens when you combine two of the most common fears? Snakes on a plane, obviously. This 2006 flick starring Samuel L. Jackson and Julianna Margulies is sure to give you the creepy crawlies. Just dont watch before boarding your next flight...
Friday the 13th (2009)
No, this isnt the original. But it also isnt a traditional remake. Director Marcus Nispel didnt attempt to recreate or simply modernize the classic 1980 storyline. Rather, this rendition reimagines our favorite hockey mask-clad killer and tells the tale of a young man trying to find his sister after she goes missing at Camp Crystal Lake. It stars Jared Padalecki (Prepare yourself, Gilmore Girls fans, for this is not quite Dean as you know him.), Danielle Panabaker, and Derek Mears as Jason Voorhees.
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The predecessor to The Walking Dead and the modern-day zombie craze, this 1968 film is considered a cornerstone of the genre and one of the best films ever made. It follows a group of people who are trapped on a farm, outnumbered by members of the undead who set out on a cannibalistic feast.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
This remake of the 1974 slasher classic was poorly reviewed by critics, most of whom agreed that it was needlessly gorier than the original. But why not decide for yourself? Redeemably, several crew members who worked on the original also had a hand in the remake, including Tobe Hooper who directed the 1974 version and served as an executive producer for this rendition
How could a young Drew Barrymore possibly be frightening? Perhaps as a nine-year-old with pyrokinetic abilities. Based on a Stephen King novel, Firestarter tells the story of Charlie, who is born with supernatural powers. Her abilities make her a target, of course, and she and her family must take great lengths to stay safe. Heather Locklear and Martin Sheen also star.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
- From 'Halloween Ends' to Jordan Peele's 'Nope,' here's every horror movie you need to see in 2022 - USA TODAY - January 23rd, 2022
- The Bizarre Horror Movie You Never Knew Starred Meat Loaf - /Film - January 23rd, 2022
- Nanny Review: In This Atmospheric Horror Film, the American Dream Is the Real Monster - IndieWire - January 23rd, 2022
- Matt Reeves Says 'The Batman' Is "Almost a Horror Movie" - Bloody Disgusting - January 23rd, 2022
- Rebecca Sonnenshine Names The Horror Movies That Influenced Archive 81 - Exclusive - Looper - January 23rd, 2022
- Netflix Is Adding a Legendary Horror Movie in February - PopCulture.com - January 23rd, 2022
- 'Scream' tops the box office, becoming the latest horror movie hit - Business Insider - January 23rd, 2022
- Have Horror Films Become Too Smart for Their Own Good? - AnOther Magazine - January 23rd, 2022
- Jesse Eisenberg returns with a "Sundance movie," while two horror films shift the definition of one - Yahoo Entertainment - January 23rd, 2022
- 10 Best Horror Movies With Creepy Toys To Watch With 'The Jack in the Box: Awakening' - Bloody Disgusting - January 23rd, 2022
- Stan Helsing (2009) - IMDb - January 9th, 2022
- Five New Horror Movies Releasing This Week and 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' Comes Home! - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2022
- Will This New Spanish Horror Movie Take Over Netflix's Top Spot? - Looper - January 9th, 2022
- The Wasteland cast: Whos in the Netflix horror movie? - Netflix Life - January 9th, 2022
- 5 Horror Movies That Deserve Their Own TV Show Spin-Off - Cinema Blend - January 9th, 2022
- An Apartment Becomes a Tomb in Paranoia Horror Movie 'Alone With You' This February [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2022
- Betty White Was Wickedly Funny in This Cult Horror Movie - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 9th, 2022
- Where to stream winter horror that will chill you to the bone - 1428 Elm - January 9th, 2022
- Dear David: Justin Long Joins Horror Movie Based on Viral Tweet Thread - ComicBook.com - January 9th, 2022
- 'The Stairs' - Horror Movie About a Mysterious Set of Stairs in the Middle of the Woods Now Streaming Exclusively on Screambox! - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2022
- The Major Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror Anniversaries of Winter 2022 - Gizmodo - January 9th, 2022
- In the Mouth of Madness (1994) Revisited Horror Movie Review - JoBlo.com - January 9th, 2022
- Apartment 7A: New Horror Film From The Director Of Relic Will Star Ozark's Julia Garner - /Film - January 9th, 2022
- They Screamed, We Screamed. Now Theyre in Scream Again. - The New York Times - January 9th, 2022
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) WTF Happened to This Horror Movie? - JoBlo.com - January 9th, 2022
- Entertainment company reveals plans for 'zombie experience' and drive-in horror cinema at former Camelot Theme Park - Lancashire Evening Post - January 9th, 2022
- Your Favorite Scary Movie: The Oral History of Scream - The Ringer - December 27th, 2021
- The Best Sci-Fi, Horror, Action and International Movies of 2021 - The New York Times - December 27th, 2021
- Disney's Creepy '80s Horror Movie You Have To See To Believe - /Film - December 27th, 2021
- The Frighteners (1996) WTF Happened to This Horror Movie? - JoBlo.com - December 27th, 2021
- One of the scariest Christmas horror movies of all time was filmed in Toronto - Curiocity - December 27th, 2021
- 'Stranger Things': Every Horror Movie Referenced in the Hit Netflix Series So Far - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 27th, 2021
- A Painfully Generic Horror Movie Conjures up Streaming Success - We Got This Covered - December 27th, 2021
- Spider-Man: No Way Home box office vs. the 10 biggest movies of all time - Polygon - December 27th, 2021
- First Look at Sam Raimi's 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' Brings Horror to the MCU! [Teaser] - Bloody Disgusting - December 27th, 2021
- William Shatner once starred in one of the weirdest Christmas movies ever - Redshirts Always Die - December 27th, 2021
- 19 Child Actors Who Were So Amazing In Their Debut Roles, It's A Little Scary - BuzzFeed - December 27th, 2021
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife Star Explains The 'Disgusting' Ectoplasm He Had To Eat And It Didn't Even Make The Movie - CinemaBlend - December 27th, 2021
- Way before Ramsay Brothers, this was the Hindi film that started Bollywoods romance with purani havelis - The Indian Express - December 27th, 2021
- What's the future of the film industry in the River Valley? - Times Record - December 27th, 2021
- Tom Hanks' First Movie Was a Slasher Film Inspired by 'Halloween' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 27th, 2021
- MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL And The Horror Of Disney - FANGORIA - December 27th, 2021
- NECA Will Be Bringing a 'Krampus' Action Figure Down the Chimney Next Year! - Bloody Disgusting - December 27th, 2021
- The boy whose real-life story inspired classic horror movie The Exorcist - ARY NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Let It Come Down: Joel Coens The Tragedy of Macbeth may well be the best horror movie of 2021 - East Bay Express - December 27th, 2021
- The Humans Director Breaks Down the Films Creepy New York Apartment Thats Straight Out of a Horror Movie - IndieWire - November 29th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 29th, 2021
- He Made a Horror Movie About Pizzagate, then the Death Threats Started - VICE - November 29th, 2021
- Eli Roths Thanksgiving The Horror Movie That Almost Was - JoBlo.com - November 29th, 2021
- The Power of the Dog Review: If A24 Made A Western - Bleeding Cool News - November 29th, 2021
- Horror on Sea film festival returns to Southend following two year covid hiatus - Echo - November 29th, 2021
- What Jason Voorhees From The Original Friday The 13th Looks Like Today - Looper - November 29th, 2021
- Enjoy Christmas in Kamloops on the silver screen - Kamloops This Week - November 29th, 2021
- Daily Distraction: Watch the trailer for a Columbus-filmed horror movie out today - Columbus Alive - November 13th, 2021
- The Horror Movie That Caused People To Faint In Theaters - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Whoa, Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters made a horror movie - Vanyaland - November 13th, 2021
- Paris Hilton Reveals What Scared Her While Filming 'House of Wax': 'I Couldn't See It Alone' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 13th, 2021
- In space, no one can hear your opinion: How 'Alien' is still the perfect blueprint for horror - The Observer - November 13th, 2021
- 'Scream' - Looking Back at the '90s Horror Landscape Before Wes Craven Changed the Game - Bloody Disgusting - November 13th, 2021
- 13 New Movies You Can Watch on Netflix This Weekend Best Life - Best Life - November 13th, 2021
- Karthik Sasidharan bags the lead role in a horror movie - Times of India - November 13th, 2021
- Paranormal Horror Movie 'They Live in the Grey' Will Haunt Shudder in Early 2022 - Bloody Disgusting - November 2nd, 2021
- 15 Banned Horror Movies That Are Too Disturbing to Watch - Newsweek - November 2nd, 2021
- Here's What Horror Movie Icons Look Like Then Vs. Now - BuzzFeed - November 2nd, 2021
- The best slasher horror movies rely on these 6 masks - Polygon - November 2nd, 2021
- Five Horror films to watch this Halloween weekend Sacramento News & Review - Sacramento News & Review - November 2nd, 2021
- Do you like horror movies? Expert says there's a scientific reason why people love to be scared - CBS News - November 2nd, 2021
- Halloween viewing: the search for the scariest horror movie ever made - Big Think - November 2nd, 2021
- Netflix Released Its First-Ever Horror Movie Written Entirely by Bots - PopCulture.com - November 2nd, 2021
- These horror movie foods are supposed to be gross... but look delicious! - Salon - November 2nd, 2021
- Why James Wan's 'Malignant' is the cult horror film of 2021 - Los Angeles Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Society, the Cult Horror Film Where the Monster Is Class Conflict - Jacobin magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Antlers' blunts its creepy horror by branching off in too many directions - CNN - November 2nd, 2021
- The tricks that make horror movies look real - Vox.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Say hello to our Collective Nightmares in horror films - CU Boulder Today - November 2nd, 2021
- The 20 Horror Movies With the Most Jump Scares - Mental Floss - November 2nd, 2021
- Where horror movie sound effects and ghosts boo come from - Polygon - November 2nd, 2021
- Five Horror Films to Stream Now - The New York Times - October 20th, 2021
- 15 best horror movies to watch on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu - Polygon - October 20th, 2021
- Review: Scandinavian horror movie has tremendous banalities - Ithaca College The Ithacan - October 20th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero