I feel like this might be one of those Mandela Effect things. I was sure Vincent Price, one of the exalted, untouchable pillars of the horror movie world, had played a vampire at some point in his career. Why wouldnt he!? He looks like a vampire all the time. He wears capes and stuff with ease. Heck, he even narrated Thriller and starred in The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. Surely hes been a vampire, right? Well, not really. Hes been vampire-adjacent a few times, sure. But whereas birthday mate Christopher Lee made a career out of sucking blood, and Peter Cushing made a career as a vampire killer, Price has been weirdly absent in the vampire movie pantheon.
Prices birthday is May 27, which just so happens to be the same day as Lees, the day after Cushings, and the day after World Dracula Day. So, as were in the midst of Nerdist Vampire Week, I thought, Perfect! Ol Vinny P has some vampires in his repertoire. But, no. Not really. At least not as many as his persona would have you believe. I was sure Id seen Price in vampire fangs and capes before. And after doing some digging, I think I know why I thought this. But first, the filmography.
American International Pictures
Vincent Price had an impressively long career. He made his debut in 1938sService de Luxe and worked consistently all the way up until his death in 1993. Along with Lee, Cushing, and Boris Karloff, Price was always a grand statesman of the horror genre. They added professionalism and gravitas to even the lowest-rent productions. With his pencil-thin mustache, perfectly coifed hair, and silky voice, he made the jump from Film Noir to horror in the 40s and 50s and never really looked back.
In 1940, he starred as the titular imperceptible anti-hero in The Invisible Man Returns; he made a voice cameo as the character at the end of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein in 1948. But it wasnt until 1953s House of Wax, where he played the villainous proprietor of said wax museum, that Price had his first iconic horror role. He made a string of camp classics for William Castle in the 50s and 60s, and followed that with a cycle of beloved Edgar Allan Poe (and H.P. Lovecraft) adaptations for Roger Corman.
In these, especially the Corman films, Price played Gothic villains; necromancers, debauched Satan worshipers, and shut-in aristocrats galore. A lot of these characters, from Roderick Usher to M. Waldemar, have attributes of what we could consider vampiric while not actually being an undead bloodsucker. There are a few undead in there; Joseph Curwen inThe Haunted Palace is a form of undead thing. You could believe some of them were vampires, but none of them are.
It wasnt until 1964 that Price finally appeared in a movie that even had vampires in it (the Abbott and Costello cameo notwithstanding). That movie isThe Last Man on Earth, an adaptation of Richard Mathesons seminal sci-fi/horror novel I Am Legend. Price plays the titular last man on Earth when a plague has turned everyone else into vampires. So he goes around and stakes them all. In his first vampire movie, Vincent Price is the only one whoisnt a vampire. Theres even a vampire dog in it.
American International Pictures
In the 1970 movieScream and Scream Again, a supremely weird and convoluted film, a seemingly unkillable serial killer drains victims blood. Sounds pretty vampiric, right? Well, yeah, kind of. But its much more about scientific experimentation; Price plays the scientist, not even the vampire guy. Anyway, its a bizarre movie. But Christopher Lee is the good guy in it, and Peter Cushings in it also.
What Im getting at is Vincent Price didnt play vampires. And yet when hed appear on a lot of television shows in the 60s and 70s, most often comedies, hed play someone somehow vampire related. He guest starred on a 1967 episode ofF Troopthe broad comedy about a battalion of cavalrymen in the Old Westas a character who dresses cartoonishly like a vampire and whom the dumb main characters think is a vampire.
Ive linked to this clip for thoroughness, but please be aware of the horrible stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans in the form of white actors in redface. The past was a mistake.
He also appeared as a vampire, kind of, in this sketch opposite Dean Martin in some comedy show.
In both of these cases, Price isnt actually playing a vampire; hes playing the public image of a vampire made famous in 1931 by Bela Lugosi. Bela Lugosi had long since died by the time of these TV appearances, and Price became a sort of stand-in for easy jokes because of his connection to horror.
There is one (1) feature film in which Vincent Price plays a vampire, and it didnt come until 1981, when he was 70. It wasThe Monster Club, the very last of the famed Amicus Productions anthology horror films. This one was weird; mostly a comedy, with minimal violence and gore, and a lot of musical numbers that I hope were cool at the time.
Price plays Eramus, an old vampire who bites the aging writer R. Chetwynd-Hayes (played by horror legend John Carradine, someone who actuallydid play Dracula) and then takes him into the titular Monster Club where he proceeds to set up three stories with other creatures of the night. It is not the best movie, and though there are plenty of vampires in the movie, Prices acts the least like a vampire. Its really just a couple of old guys talking.
In a career spanning nearly 60 years, this is it. Vincent Price played a vampire in the wraparound segments of a comedy horror anthology movie late in his career.
Im a big fan of Vincent Price, and have seen a good many of his movies. Even I assumed hed played a vampire in a major dramatic horror film. But he didnt. And that surprised me. The end.
Kyle Anderson is the Senior Editor for Nerdist. You can find his film and TV reviews here. Follow him on Twitter!
Originally posted here:
Horror God Vincent Price Never Actually Played a Vampire - Nerdist
- The best new books to read in September as selected by avid readers and critics - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Blood Red Sky' really didn't have to be so dang sad - Mashable - August 10th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer spin-off announced with Willow's witch daughter becoming new slayer - PinkNews - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald The Vampire: Jacob Batalon To Lead Dramedy In Development At Syfy - Deadline - August 10th, 2021
- Vampires Anonymous (a Very Short Play in One Act) - Patheos - August 10th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is Getting a Sequel Starring Willows Daughter - ComicBook.com - August 10th, 2021
- Questionable Things We Ignore In The Underworld Franchise - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald the Vampire: Jacob Batalon Tapped to Lead SYFY Series - Bleeding Cool News - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald, the vampire: Jacob Batalon will be a vampire in a television series based on a childrens romance novel - Designer Women - August 10th, 2021
- Graphic Novel BLACULA Will Revive the Iconic Vampire in a New Era - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- The Weekly Pull: American Vampire 1976, Hellions, The Me You Love in the Dark, and More - ComicBook.com - August 10th, 2021
- Jakob's Wife Offers Convincing Proof That Horror Is the Ultimate Glow-Up - Gizmodo - August 10th, 2021
- '13 Fanboy': 'Friday the 13th' Fan Film Featuring Franchise Stars Including Kane Hodder Will Be Released in October - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' MOVIE REVIEW: The Preacher's Wife Bites Back in Shudder's Solid Vampire Flick - Screen Realm - August 10th, 2021
- VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE Returns with New Track WITCH - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Strange Frontier: NEAR DARK And The Birth Of The American Vampire - FANGORIA - July 1st, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Confirmed For NaconConnect On July 6 - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2021
- AceWeb Internet Home Page - AceWeb Internet - June 1st, 2021
- The Sexiest Vampires in TV and Film - Nerdist - June 1st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead 2 Will Reportedly Have Vampires - We Got This Covered - June 1st, 2021
- How Castlevania's Series Finale Was All About The Importance Of Change - The Workprint - June 1st, 2021
- Will Swenson Joins the Cast of Netflix Vampire Series FIRST KILL - Broadway World - June 1st, 2021
- Top Vampire Anime That You Should Never Miss - OtakuKart - June 1st, 2021
- The Buffy Episode That Changed Everything - Vulture - June 1st, 2021
- Comics Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Crosses Over With Original Series - ComicBook.com - June 1st, 2021
- Want To Meet a Vampire? 'Buffy's James Marsters Will Be at FanExpo Dallas and MegaCon Orlando - Nerds and Beyond - June 1st, 2021
- Van Helsing recap: 'Graveyard Smash' gives us a miraculous case of dj vu - SYFY WIRE - June 1st, 2021
- Vampire Diaries creator is making another show about Vampires! - Dankanator - June 1st, 2021
- 'Vampire Fish' spotted twice in American River, suggesting its return to the area - Fox News - May 21st, 2021
- Tragic Hot Vampires Will Be Back On Screen in Remake of The Hunger - tor.com - May 21st, 2021
- As Fantasia unveils its first wave of programming, vampires and Estonian demonic spirits are in - Cineuropa - May 21st, 2021
- Full-Grown 'Vampire Fish' Spotted in the American River - Active NorCal - May 21st, 2021
- Bumblebee Director Travis Knight To Helm Netflixs Vampire Action Thriller Uprising - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- THE HUNGER: Remake Of Tony Scott's Steamy 1983 Vampire Drama In The Works At Warner Bros. - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - May 21st, 2021
- Return of the vampire: Much-loved stage show returns to Melbourne - 9News - May 21st, 2021
- Will Gould talks Salem, falling in love with vampires, and what's next for Creeper Kerrang! - Kerrang! - May 8th, 2021
- Marvel Vampires in The Daily LITG - Easter Monday, 5th April 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - April 5th, 2021
- 15 Fang-tastic Vampire Romance and Romantic Fiction Books - Book Riot - April 5th, 2021
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney's new book inspired by scary times - Hindustan Times - April 5th, 2021
- A Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot Will Not Have Sarah Michelle Gellar On Board, She Says - Deadline - February 20th, 2021
- Vampires have more heart than Ted Cruz: Tanden atones for past tweets - POLITICO - February 10th, 2021
- A rare observation of a vampire bat adopting an unrelated pup - The Ohio State University News - February 10th, 2021
- An Orphaned Vampire Bat Pup Was Adopted By Its Mother's Best Friend - IFLScience - February 10th, 2021
- Vampire bat adopts orphan baby bat after untimely death of its mother - New Scientist News - February 10th, 2021
- BUFFERING THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Musical Episode Out Today - Broadway World - February 10th, 2021
- Vampire Diaries: 5 Characters Who Were Smarter Than They Seemed (& 5 Vice Versa) - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Actor On Why Her Buffy The Vampire Slayer Role Was Perfect - Exclusive - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Glenn Danzig Covers the Old West in Blood in Death Rider in the House of Vampires Trailer (Exclusive Video) - TheWrap - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Vampire Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Big ladies of Zelda that rival the Tall Vampire Lady - iMore - February 9th, 2021
- Ames Library Notes: Monsters in books and film - Ames Tribune - February 9th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Or Teen Wolf Quiz: Who Said It - Xander Or Stiles? - WhatCulture - February 9th, 2021
- Trailer for Filmax's Coming-of-Age Vampire Film 'All the Moons' - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Movie Vampires, Ranked From Most To Least Likely To Win The Hunger Games - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Lost Slayer Is Hunting Giles | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 6th, 2021
- Marvel's Blade Reboot Gets a New Title in the MCU - MovieWeb - February 6th, 2021
- Let's Celebrate Some Superb Owls 'With What We Do in the Shadows' The Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - February 6th, 2021
- 'A Discovery of Witches' Review: Vampire Fathers are Blunt and Nosy - The Workprint - February 6th, 2021
- 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer': The Truth About The Nerd Villains - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Exclusive! Harsh Rajput: Naagin, daayan, vampires have been part of Indian stories for ages; they are not - Times of India - January 31st, 2021
- Twilight: What Happened To Bree Tanner Before Eclipse - Screen Rant - January 31st, 2021
- The Return Of The Black And White Indie Vampire Comic - Bleeding Cool News - January 31st, 2021
- MORBIUS Star Jared Leto Confident The Living Vampire Will One Day Meet Blade; Confirms More Reshoots - Comic Book Movie - January 31st, 2021
- Gerard Marr 2021: Boys from County Hell, a vampire film in the Shawn tradition of the dead - SwordsToday.ie - January 31st, 2021
- The Vampire Diaries: You'll Never Get 100% On This Elena Gilbert Quiz - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2021
- The Originals: You'll Never Get 100% On This Elijah Mikaelson Quiz - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2021
- Jared Leto says Morbius the vampire is a bit closer to who I am - Polygon - January 30th, 2021
- The Real Reason These Actors Left The Vampire Diaries - Looper - January 30th, 2021
- 'WandaVision' star addresses 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' fan theory - NME - January 30th, 2021
- What We Do In The Shadows Star Wants To Explore Guillermos Lineage - Screen Rant - January 30th, 2021
- Jared Leto Can See a Morbius Vs. Blade MCU Crossover Happening in the Future - MovieWeb - January 30th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows S03: Harvey Guilln Talks Guillermo Wishlist - Bleeding Cool News - January 30th, 2021
- A Discovery of Witches Season 2 Episode 4 Review: Blood Rage - Den of Geek - January 30th, 2021
- Jared Leto says Morbius the vampire is a 'bit closer to who I am' - Report Door - January 30th, 2021
- Nina Dobrev Confesses She Misses Being 'Attacked' While Working On 'The Vampire Diaries' - TheThings - January 30th, 2021
- Im a vampire when it comes to actors of certain age playing heroes: Adnan Siddiqui - The Express Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- The Hardest Buffy The Vampire Slayer True Or False Quiz Ever New - WhatCulture - January 30th, 2021
- 'Vampire' house with 'terrifying' cellar causes a stir as it goes on sale - Daily Star - January 30th, 2021
- "Legacies" Is Putting on a "The Vampire Diaries" Musical This Season - Seventeen.com - January 27th, 2021
- When will The Vampire Diaries & The Originals Leave Netflix? - What's on Netflix - January 27th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero