After four seasons of bloodshed, curse words, betrayals, and vampires, Castlevanias story is finally over. And with the dawn of deaths end marked the beginning of a new world. At least, for those willing to change.
It is strange typing these words: Castlevania Is Over, because for me, and I believe for many fans, the experience was as equally strange as it was surreal. Castlevania was one of the last shows I covered at a live-event comic con. It was one of the last series Id followed and binged with friends before the pandemic began.
The story about Draculas scorched earth campaign against the human race, early seasons of the series had focused on Draculas war of retaliation. All for the loss of his love, Lisa, who was a brilliant scientist and a kindhearted soul. Lisa was someone whod sought Draculas help for the betterment of humanity. The only person who was able to convince the vampire to open the doors to his castle as well as his heart. The two worked together over science, and over the course of time, even fell in love.
In return, Lisa was caught and captured by the very race of people she was attempting to help. Burned at the stake by the Church and their close-minded fanaticism. It was then that Draculas tragic love story brought about the doom of humanity. And more importantly, beckoned the question: why exactly was it that humans deserved to live?
Its a question, which in many ways, holds some degree of verisimilitude in that perhaps the human race has already failed. Stuck in idiosyncratic notions of prejudice, zealotry, and senseless violence, showcasing that maybe Dracula was right but for all the wrong reasons. Its a question vicariously explored from every character throughout the series that I believe highlights the importance of what it means to be human, the act of letting go, but most importantly, the necessity of change in the dawning of a new world.
Still, most of the people that I know wont ever watch Castlevania. Theres a stigma against animation, senseless gore, and the demonic occult that limits the shows wider audience appeal. For certain, Castlevania is easily one of the most violent animated series I have ever seen. But it is also, one of the most philosophical takes on finding a reason to live.
I believe the biggest development of this theme about finding and choosing life mostly fits within Isaacs story. A character, who for the longest time, remained one of my least favorite only for him to finish as my most.In season one, we see both he and Hector as two men scorned by the world for being different. So mistreated and traumatized by the worst in humanity, that both forgemasters became openly supportive of Draculas quest to destroy the very humans that admonished them.
But by this final season, theres a different purpose in Isaac he has changed. Becoming a man who communicates with people, both living and dead, Isaac has stopped spending self-isolation entirely alone. More importantly, he began to forge his own sense of meaning for both himself and his hell creatures, away from being instruments of destruction and thus doing so, became, something more. Building a new life from the ashes of the old.
Isaac has changed. And he was not the only one to adapt.
Series favorite Alucard discovers that he, in fact, likes people. After atoning for the sins of his father, he finally finds love within the people of Danesti and even a possible budding love interest in Greta.
Sypha left her world behind to join Trevor and their amazing adventures discovering life outside of books while going off on adventures. Trevor, a selfish man whod never wanted to pick up the mantle of his forebearers, not only does so but in turn, even becomes the hero who stops death itself. Throughout the series, each hero changes and finds a new path. Turning out, all for the better, until there is a new City of Belmont.
In contrast, we see many of the vampires and villains of the series befall the fate of the inability to escape their routines. The curse of the vampires inability to change. Carmilla, who in her youth, took everything back from the men that ruined her, was unable to divest in any sort of futures beyond conquering, as it was all she had ever known. Leonore had questioned, would owning the world make Carmilla happy? And the vampires both knew: no.
Leonore, ever the loving diplomat and Hectors dom in many ways, could not live with the reversal of roles the two beset upon each other once the tables had turned. Whereas Hector made zombie pets out of loneliness, Leonore made Hector her pet out of curiosity and a bizarrely twisted sense of preservation and possible affection. A complicated relationship for certain, the difference lie in that Hector saw a future with Leonore regardless of his fate as a pet or free man, Leonore on the other hand, opted for suicide over submission. Neither knew how to change or break their roles and in the end, share somewhat tragic fates. With Hector returning to his simpler quiet path albeit, with a new perspective about vampires.
Death wanted Draculas quest to kill all humans to satiate his hunger. Saint Germain, much like Dracula, wanted to see his love again. Often, what makes Castlevania so humanizing, is that not only is evil all demons, hellfire, and brimstone; but also, the fates of something created by a lot in life. The inevitability being very much evitable, so long as a new truth or path could be forged.
That you can build a happy ending if you so choose.
And now, Castlevania is over. I am sad to see it go. But it was a very happy ending highlighting an important lesson that needs to be said in a post-pandemic world that may be nearing its end. I think Isaacs final words summed it up best
They convince us that there is no future. There is only an Eternal Now and the best we can do is survive until dawn and do it all again. Thats no way to live. And Ive discovered, to some surprise, that I am interested in living. I am interested in building a way to live. And I think I will start here.
- The best new books to read in September as selected by avid readers and critics - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Blood Red Sky' really didn't have to be so dang sad - Mashable - August 10th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer spin-off announced with Willow's witch daughter becoming new slayer - PinkNews - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald The Vampire: Jacob Batalon To Lead Dramedy In Development At Syfy - Deadline - August 10th, 2021
- Vampires Anonymous (a Very Short Play in One Act) - Patheos - August 10th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is Getting a Sequel Starring Willows Daughter - ComicBook.com - August 10th, 2021
- Questionable Things We Ignore In The Underworld Franchise - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald the Vampire: Jacob Batalon Tapped to Lead SYFY Series - Bleeding Cool News - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald, the vampire: Jacob Batalon will be a vampire in a television series based on a childrens romance novel - Designer Women - August 10th, 2021
- Graphic Novel BLACULA Will Revive the Iconic Vampire in a New Era - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- The Weekly Pull: American Vampire 1976, Hellions, The Me You Love in the Dark, and More - ComicBook.com - August 10th, 2021
- Jakob's Wife Offers Convincing Proof That Horror Is the Ultimate Glow-Up - Gizmodo - August 10th, 2021
- '13 Fanboy': 'Friday the 13th' Fan Film Featuring Franchise Stars Including Kane Hodder Will Be Released in October - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' MOVIE REVIEW: The Preacher's Wife Bites Back in Shudder's Solid Vampire Flick - Screen Realm - August 10th, 2021
- VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE Returns with New Track WITCH - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Strange Frontier: NEAR DARK And The Birth Of The American Vampire - FANGORIA - July 1st, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Confirmed For NaconConnect On July 6 - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2021
- AceWeb Internet Home Page - AceWeb Internet - June 1st, 2021
- The Sexiest Vampires in TV and Film - Nerdist - June 1st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead 2 Will Reportedly Have Vampires - We Got This Covered - June 1st, 2021
- Horror God Vincent Price Never Actually Played a Vampire - Nerdist - June 1st, 2021
- Will Swenson Joins the Cast of Netflix Vampire Series FIRST KILL - Broadway World - June 1st, 2021
- Top Vampire Anime That You Should Never Miss - OtakuKart - June 1st, 2021
- The Buffy Episode That Changed Everything - Vulture - June 1st, 2021
- Comics Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Crosses Over With Original Series - ComicBook.com - June 1st, 2021
- Want To Meet a Vampire? 'Buffy's James Marsters Will Be at FanExpo Dallas and MegaCon Orlando - Nerds and Beyond - June 1st, 2021
- Van Helsing recap: 'Graveyard Smash' gives us a miraculous case of dj vu - SYFY WIRE - June 1st, 2021
- Vampire Diaries creator is making another show about Vampires! - Dankanator - June 1st, 2021
- 'Vampire Fish' spotted twice in American River, suggesting its return to the area - Fox News - May 21st, 2021
- Tragic Hot Vampires Will Be Back On Screen in Remake of The Hunger - tor.com - May 21st, 2021
- As Fantasia unveils its first wave of programming, vampires and Estonian demonic spirits are in - Cineuropa - May 21st, 2021
- Full-Grown 'Vampire Fish' Spotted in the American River - Active NorCal - May 21st, 2021
- Bumblebee Director Travis Knight To Helm Netflixs Vampire Action Thriller Uprising - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- THE HUNGER: Remake Of Tony Scott's Steamy 1983 Vampire Drama In The Works At Warner Bros. - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - May 21st, 2021
- Return of the vampire: Much-loved stage show returns to Melbourne - 9News - May 21st, 2021
- Will Gould talks Salem, falling in love with vampires, and what's next for Creeper Kerrang! - Kerrang! - May 8th, 2021
- Marvel Vampires in The Daily LITG - Easter Monday, 5th April 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - April 5th, 2021
- 15 Fang-tastic Vampire Romance and Romantic Fiction Books - Book Riot - April 5th, 2021
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney's new book inspired by scary times - Hindustan Times - April 5th, 2021
- A Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot Will Not Have Sarah Michelle Gellar On Board, She Says - Deadline - February 20th, 2021
- Vampires have more heart than Ted Cruz: Tanden atones for past tweets - POLITICO - February 10th, 2021
- A rare observation of a vampire bat adopting an unrelated pup - The Ohio State University News - February 10th, 2021
- An Orphaned Vampire Bat Pup Was Adopted By Its Mother's Best Friend - IFLScience - February 10th, 2021
- Vampire bat adopts orphan baby bat after untimely death of its mother - New Scientist News - February 10th, 2021
- BUFFERING THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Musical Episode Out Today - Broadway World - February 10th, 2021
- Vampire Diaries: 5 Characters Who Were Smarter Than They Seemed (& 5 Vice Versa) - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Actor On Why Her Buffy The Vampire Slayer Role Was Perfect - Exclusive - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Glenn Danzig Covers the Old West in Blood in Death Rider in the House of Vampires Trailer (Exclusive Video) - TheWrap - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Vampire Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Big ladies of Zelda that rival the Tall Vampire Lady - iMore - February 9th, 2021
- Ames Library Notes: Monsters in books and film - Ames Tribune - February 9th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Or Teen Wolf Quiz: Who Said It - Xander Or Stiles? - WhatCulture - February 9th, 2021
- Trailer for Filmax's Coming-of-Age Vampire Film 'All the Moons' - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Movie Vampires, Ranked From Most To Least Likely To Win The Hunger Games - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Lost Slayer Is Hunting Giles | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 6th, 2021
- Marvel's Blade Reboot Gets a New Title in the MCU - MovieWeb - February 6th, 2021
- Let's Celebrate Some Superb Owls 'With What We Do in the Shadows' The Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - February 6th, 2021
- 'A Discovery of Witches' Review: Vampire Fathers are Blunt and Nosy - The Workprint - February 6th, 2021
- 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer': The Truth About The Nerd Villains - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Exclusive! Harsh Rajput: Naagin, daayan, vampires have been part of Indian stories for ages; they are not - Times of India - January 31st, 2021
- Twilight: What Happened To Bree Tanner Before Eclipse - Screen Rant - January 31st, 2021
- The Return Of The Black And White Indie Vampire Comic - Bleeding Cool News - January 31st, 2021
- MORBIUS Star Jared Leto Confident The Living Vampire Will One Day Meet Blade; Confirms More Reshoots - Comic Book Movie - January 31st, 2021
- Gerard Marr 2021: Boys from County Hell, a vampire film in the Shawn tradition of the dead - SwordsToday.ie - January 31st, 2021
- The Vampire Diaries: You'll Never Get 100% On This Elena Gilbert Quiz - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2021
- The Originals: You'll Never Get 100% On This Elijah Mikaelson Quiz - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2021
- Jared Leto says Morbius the vampire is a bit closer to who I am - Polygon - January 30th, 2021
- The Real Reason These Actors Left The Vampire Diaries - Looper - January 30th, 2021
- 'WandaVision' star addresses 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' fan theory - NME - January 30th, 2021
- What We Do In The Shadows Star Wants To Explore Guillermos Lineage - Screen Rant - January 30th, 2021
- Jared Leto Can See a Morbius Vs. Blade MCU Crossover Happening in the Future - MovieWeb - January 30th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows S03: Harvey Guilln Talks Guillermo Wishlist - Bleeding Cool News - January 30th, 2021
- A Discovery of Witches Season 2 Episode 4 Review: Blood Rage - Den of Geek - January 30th, 2021
- Jared Leto says Morbius the vampire is a 'bit closer to who I am' - Report Door - January 30th, 2021
- Nina Dobrev Confesses She Misses Being 'Attacked' While Working On 'The Vampire Diaries' - TheThings - January 30th, 2021
- Im a vampire when it comes to actors of certain age playing heroes: Adnan Siddiqui - The Express Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- The Hardest Buffy The Vampire Slayer True Or False Quiz Ever New - WhatCulture - January 30th, 2021
- 'Vampire' house with 'terrifying' cellar causes a stir as it goes on sale - Daily Star - January 30th, 2021
- "Legacies" Is Putting on a "The Vampire Diaries" Musical This Season - Seventeen.com - January 27th, 2021
- When will The Vampire Diaries & The Originals Leave Netflix? - What's on Netflix - January 27th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero