American Murder: The Family Next Door premieres Wednesday, September 30 on Netflix worldwide. The documentary from Jenny Popplewell and Oscar-winning executive producer, James Marsh devels deep into the 2018 Watts Family murders which shocked America. Where is Christopher Lee-Watts today?Express.co.ukhas everything you need to know about Christopher Lee Watts.
WARNING: This article contains spoilers about American Murder: The Family Next Door
American Murder: The Family Next Door looks inside the marriage of Shanann Watts and her husband, Chris Watts and the triple murder case which shocked America.
Shanann and Chris Watts met in 2010 and married in 2012. They had tow daughters together, Bella and Celeste, with a third child, a son named Nico in the way.
On August 13, 2018, Shanann, 34, and her two young daughters Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3, were reported missing from their home in Frederick, Colorado.
Shanann had been on a work trip to Arizona and arrived home in the early hours on August 13.
READ MOREAmerican Murder The Family Next Door release date, cast, trailer, plot
Her colleague, Nickole Utoft Atkinson reported Shanann missing the following day after she failed to turn up to an appointment and failed to return text messages.
Shannans colleague also visited the home of the Watts, where Shananns car was parked on the driveway with her daughters two car seats. However, she received no answer.
Shananns husband, Chris, played an active role in the search, giving interviews to Denver stations KMGH-TV and KUSA-TV outside his house pleading for his family's return.
When police searched the family home during a welfare check, they found no search of Shanann or her daughters.
However, they did uncover her phone, keys, car and wedding ring.
Chris was arrested late on August 15, 2018. According to the arrest affidavit, Watts failed a polygraph test and subsequently confessed to murdering Shanann.
According to the affidavit, Watts was having an affair and had asked to separate from Shanann prior to her death.
He told police Shanann had killed her two daughters in response to his request for separation and in a fit of rage, he strangled her in response to the death of his daughters.
His wifes body was found in a shallow grave on the property of his former employer Anadarko Petroleum.
The bodies of his two daughters were found hidden in oil tanks nearby.
DON'T MISS...Dirty John killer Betty Broderick's reason for carrying a gun[INSIGHT]Des cover-up: Dennis Nilsen's secret smirk hidden from ITV drama[DETAILS]Lucifer: Does Trixie know Lucifer is the Devil?[THEORY]
On November 6, 2018, Watts pleaded guilty to five counts of first-degree murder, one count of unlawful termination of pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body.
He pleaded guilty as part of a plea deal when the death penalty was removed from sentencing.
He admitted to strangling his pregnant wife Shanann and killing their two children, Bella, 4 and Celeste, 3, who died by asphyxiation due to smothering.
On November 19, Watts was sentenced to five life sentences without the possibility of parole, three to be served consecutively and two to be served concurrently.
He received an additional 48 years for unlawful termination of his unborn child and 36 years for tampering with a deceased body.
As a result, Watts will never be released from prison.
In December 2018, he was moved from prison to an out-of-state location due to security concerns.
He was officially placed at Dodge Correctional Institution, a maximum-security prison, in Waupun, Wisconsin.
Notable current and former inmates include grave robber, Ed Gein, murderer Chris Coleman, John Flammang Schrank who attempted to assassinate Theodore Rossvewelt and murder and kidnapper Jake Patterson.
American Murder: The Family Next Door premieres Wednesday, September 30 on Netflix
- 5 Reasons Why Frank Langella Is The Best Dracula (& 5 Why It's Christopher Lee) - Screen Rant - October 28th, 2020
- Ann Rosenthal Jackson - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - October 28th, 2020
- 337 new lawyers admitted to practice in Indiana - Indiana Lawyer - October 28th, 2020
- Tom Holland is 31,000 words into Fright Night 2: Resurrection, and yes, Evil Ed is back - SYFY WIRE - October 28th, 2020
- Four movies to watch this Halloween - Chargerbulletin - October 28th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 174 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - October 28th, 2020
- 'Brides of Dracula' One of the best from Hammer Horror - Goomba Stomp - October 28th, 2020
- How to celebrate Halloween at home: Movie marathons, cocktail boxes and spooky food - Heart - October 28th, 2020
- 10 Horror Films To Watch If You Love The Wolf Man | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - October 28th, 2020
- The Hidden Cruelty of Trump's Executions - The Intercept - October 18th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Recalls The Golden Moment He Lived With Christopher Lee - MetalCastle - October 17th, 2020
- Spike Lee, Christopher McQuarrie, Gary Sinise and Veronique Vowell Will Be Honored at the LMGI Awards - Broadway World - October 17th, 2020
- Son charged with murdering mother in Alexander - Wilkes Journal Patriot - October 17th, 2020
- 1 dead, 1 in serious condition following wreck on Hwy 155 near Winona - CBS19.tv KYTX - October 17th, 2020
- Cult Movie: The Man Who Laughs influenced everything from Frankenstein to Batman - The Irish News - October 17th, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 9 Hilariously Incorrect Memes That Are Too Funny - Screen Rant - October 17th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 132 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - October 17th, 2020
- Big name to Charlton... Accrington turn to Chelsea again - What Pompey's rivals have done in the past seven days - Portsmouth News - October 13th, 2020
- Court News: On the Record (10/13/20) - State Gazette - October 13th, 2020
- New this week: David Byrne, 'The Amazing Race' & Tommy Lee - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 13th, 2020
- First look: Follow Clancy Brown to the embalming room in Shudder's anthology 'The Mortuary Collection' - SYFY WIRE - October 10th, 2020
- The Military division of the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 - GOV.UK - October 10th, 2020
- Humans Are All More Closely Related Than We Commonly Think - Scientific American - October 8th, 2020
- Green Found with Drugs and Stolen Handgun During Traffic Stop - wjle.com - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Best Martial Arts Movies Of The 80s, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - October 8th, 2020
- Sheriff's office investigating frauds around the county - Asheboro Courier Tribune - October 8th, 2020
- Obituaries Oct. 6, 2020 | Obituaries | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - October 8th, 2020
- Obituaries Oct. 5, 2020 | Obituaries | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - October 8th, 2020
- Pervis Payne's attorneys call on Gov. Lee for mercy: 'You are the solution to the problem' - Commercial Appeal - October 8th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Oct. 2 - ECM Publishers - October 4th, 2020
- The Third Day Autumn, 12-hour livestream review: an unnerving and gorgeously weird tour de force - Telegraph.co.uk - October 4th, 2020
- 70s Horror on the Criterion Channel - slantmagazine - October 4th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Hellraiser Is The Best Clive Barker Adaptation (& 5 It's Candyman) - Screen Rant - October 4th, 2020
- Buffalo, NY Personal Trainer Christopher Lee Predicts the Future of Home Workout Applications - GlobeNewswire - October 3rd, 2020
- Josh Ruben on Comedy and 'Scare Me' Interview - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - October 3rd, 2020
- Stream on Demand: 'The Boys in the Band' moves from stage to screen - The Spokesman-Review - October 3rd, 2020
- Enola Holmes & The 9 Best Portrayals Of Sherlock Holmes' Siblings - Screen Rant - October 3rd, 2020
- David Attenborough, Chewing Gum, Hitchcock and more: what's streaming in Australia in October - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- James Cameron, Christopher Nolan & More Urge Congress to Save Theaters - ComingSoon.net - October 3rd, 2020
- Homeless man sentenced to prison & then 45 years' supervised release for Harrison County West Virginia sex assault of Kentucky runaway - WV News - September 30th, 2020
- Wednesday TV tips: Brendan Gleeson as Trump in The Comey Rule, and Grayson Perry continues his travels - Irish Examiner - September 30th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Explains Why He Didnt Feel Any Pressure Playing Sherlock Holmes - We Got This Covered - September 30th, 2020
- Grieving man got drunk and decided to retrieve 'note' from late partner - Lancashire Telegraph - September 30th, 2020
- 'More chops than a butcher's shop window' The verdict on Channel Five's new reality show Our Valley Family - Wales Online - September 30th, 2020
- Movie Theater Rescue Called For By Top Filmmakers, NATO, MPA, DGA In Letter To Congress: Theaters May Not Survive - Deadline - September 30th, 2020
- The Wicker Man (1973): 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Cult Movie - Screen Rant - September 26th, 2020
- Expanding access to the world's top medical minds - MIT News - September 26th, 2020
- Brides of Dracula get hitched to Blu-ray in November - Inside Pulse - September 26th, 2020
- David Christopher Iddiols - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - September 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic could affect cancer incidence and quality of health care in the future - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- 10 People Who Almost Starred In The First X-Men Movie - Screen Rant - September 26th, 2020
- Matthew Modine Reflects on 'Full Metal Jacket' and the One Similarity Between Stanley Kubrick and Christopher Nolan - Hollywood Reporter - September 26th, 2020
- Friday The 13th: 10 Facts About Jason Voorhees Every Fan Should Know - Screen Rant - September 26th, 2020
- In ruling written before his death, SJC Chief Justice Gants tells judges to address jury deliberations infected by racial or ethnic bias - The Boston... - September 26th, 2020
- The Black Sabbath records that ushered in a new era - The New European - September 26th, 2020
- The eclectic band of footballers Aaron Hickey joined after swapping Hearts for Bologna - The Scotsman - September 26th, 2020
- 7th inmate this year put to death at U.S. Penitentiary Terre Haute - Terre Haute Tribune Star - September 26th, 2020
- Cloud Light Publishing Releases Book About Travel to DC and How "Drain the Swamp" Became a Popular Phrase - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Judge says he will rule on WSP agreement by Friday - pharostribune.com - September 21st, 2020
- Local residents in UMass Amherst Class of 2020 - Lowell Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Two digital health experts predict what's around the corner for IT - Healthcare IT News - September 20th, 2020
- The unforgettable pyre: How The Wicker Man changed the face of horror - The Independent - September 20th, 2020
- 007: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About Dr. No | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Honor Roll: University of Southern Mississippi - Northside Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Trump Prepares to Execute Christopher Vialva for a Crime He Committed as a Teenager - The Intercept - First Look Media - September 20th, 2020
- 10 Movies To Watch If You Loved Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Local residents in the news - Gadsden Times - September 20th, 2020
- John T. Bloom, Wilmington Township, PA - WKBN.com - September 11th, 2020
- The Non-Executive of SLANG Worldwide (SLGWF) is Buying Shares - Smarter Analyst - September 9th, 2020
- Willy Wonka contest to give away candy factory as its grand prize - Indiana University The Penn Online - September 9th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 154 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - September 9th, 2020
- The Reverend Gerald Reddington, stockbroker who gave up the City to be an Anglican priest obituary - Telegraph.co.uk - September 9th, 2020
- Local residents in UMass Lowell Class of 2020 - The Valley Dispatch - September 9th, 2020
- Bookins | News | newsandtribune.com - Evening News and Tribune - September 9th, 2020
- After 4 Second Drop in 100 Back as a Junior, Christopher Lee Commits to Indiana - SwimSwam - September 5th, 2020
- 20 Things You Didn't Know About The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) - WhatCulture - September 5th, 2020
- Grisly Slabs of Gothic Horror - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- 'The Plague of the Zombies' Delivered a Frightening, Gothic Spin on the Zombie Mythos [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2020
- Wilton has 26 home sales in one week, 8 over $1M - The Wilton Bulletin - September 5th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of Sept. 6, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - September 5th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero