Christopher Lee was a brilliant actor who had a longstanding career that spanned decades. The star had a remarkable life beyond his incredible life as an actor. Lee even pulled inspiration from real-life experiences he had and used that to bring some characters to life in his movies.
To say Lee was an interesting man would be an understatement. At the time of his death, Lee had been happily married to Birgit Kroncke, but before her, he was betrothed to a lady whose father demanded the actor get the Kings blessing to marry his then-fiance.
Lee was born in 1922 in Belgravia to Countess Estelle Marie and Lieutenant Colonel Geoffrey Trollope Lee. As a child in the 20s, he met Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich and Prince Yusupov, who assassinated Rasputin the Russian Monk. Ironically, he would later on in life appear in the 1966 film Rasputin The Mad Monk.
When he was 17, he witnessed the execution of Eugen Weidmann in Paris, the murderer who was the last person to be publicly executed by a guillotine. When World War II broke out in 1939, the actor had already enrolled in the military academy and enlisted to fight in the Royal Air Force.
After joining the Royal Air Force, he wanted to fly but wasnt allowed to because of an optic nerve problem. He, therefore, ended up becoming an intelligence officer, a forerunner for the SAS. He fought the Nazis and prevented a mutiny among his troops.
Lee moved to Winston Churchills elite Special Operations Executive during the war, whose missions remain classified. However, they involved sabotage, espionage, and surveillance in occupied Europe. Lee never spoke of his time with the SOE, only that he had seen so many people die that he became almost hardened to it.
After his service ended, Lee struggled to transition into an acting career because of his hulking frame. The actor stood at an impressive 65 and didnt fit into what many casting directors were looking for. However, in 1946, he broke even with a part in a tv show called Kaleidoscope.
He followed that up with an appearance in Corridor of Mirrors in 1948, but it wasnt until 1957 that he got noticed with his performance as Frankensteins monster. What would follow that portrayal would be a long and remarkable career.
Since then, Lee has appeared in hundreds of movies, working his way up from uncredited roles to becoming a lead character. He is perhaps most known for his role as Dracula. By the time he got to partake in two of the film industrys biggest franchises, Lee had already become a fulfilled and successful actor.
In 2001 he landed a part in the Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring as Saruman. The following year he got a role in Star Wars: Episode II- Attack of The Clones as Count Dooku. Lee reprised his roles in the franchises sequels and even lent his voice to video game characters.
In his 2003 biography Lord of Misrule: The Autobiography of Christopher Lee the star describes a period in the late 50s when he was engaged to Henriette von Rosen after meeting her at a nightclub in Stockholm. Von Rosens father, Count Fritz von Rosen, disapproved of the union and had them delay the wedding for a year and asked his friends in London to interview Lee.
The Count even hired private investigators to investigate the actor and asked his future son-in-law to give him references which Lee provided. Finally, according to Giz Modo, the Count demanded that Lee ask for permission from the King of Sweden to marry von Rosen.
Lee had met the King before, and the King gave him his blessing. However, he ended the engagement because he thought von Rosen deserved better. In 1960 he met his future wife Birgit Kroncke and had a daughter Christina Erika Carandini Lee.
RELATED: What is the Order of the Lord of the Rings Movies?
- 9-Disc Christopher Lee Eurocrypt Box Set Arrives Later ... - July 26th, 2021
- Man convicted in Tennessee toddler's 2001 death - CT Post - July 26th, 2021
- Traffic stop ended in chase, gunfire - suspect still on the run - WLTX.com - July 11th, 2021
- OTR: 'Band on the Run' cover features a plethora of people - The Sanford Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Its a horrible decision retired Major weighs in on troop withdrawal from Afghanistan - Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW) - July 11th, 2021
- SLED identifies suspect wanted in Oconee Co. deputy-involved shooting - WSPA 7News - July 11th, 2021
- 'Blood From the Mummy's Tomb' Was One of Hammer's Last Great Monster Movies [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Cuts Ribbon on New All Affordable Senior Housing Honoring the Late Todd A. Lee | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - July 11th, 2021
- The Lord of the Rings: review - Mail and Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- A little bit of magic dust: the second life of The Secret Life of Us - Sydney Morning Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Charlottesville removes Confederate statues, including one that sparked deadly far-right rally - USA TODAY - July 11th, 2021
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory Premiered in Theaters 50 Years Ago Today - MovieWeb - July 1st, 2021
- Self-sanitising escalators, more space and different urinals - how stadium architecture will change in a COVID... - The Athletic - July 1st, 2021
- Le Roy remembers Maddie Masters during 2021 graduation | Top Story | thedailynewsonline.com - The Daily News Online - July 1st, 2021
- Awe-Inspiring Facts About Sir Christopher Lee - June 14th, 2021
- Christopher Lee and Fann Wong become the ambassadors of OMG! Gods of Three Kingdoms in Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2021
- 'We are exactly where we're supposed to be:' Blue Hills Vo Tech graduates Class of 2021 - The Patriot Ledger - June 14th, 2021
- Soulmates found love on two wheels said 'I do' in their cycling gear - The Westmorland Gazette - June 14th, 2021
- They prepare animated film of The Lord of the Rings Tomatazos Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark At 40: Facts And Myths - The Vintage News - June 14th, 2021
- Make vaccination easier for persons with dementia - The Star Online - June 14th, 2021
- Essex crime: Faces and stories of 14 criminals jailed in Essex last month - Essex Live - June 14th, 2021
- The Wicker Man: 1973 folk-horror endures to this day as a masterpiece of the form - The Guardian - June 1st, 2021
- Christopher Lee and Vincent Price Honored by Horror Fans on Their Shared Birthday - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- After breaking the law, can Terence Cao and Shane Pow continue their careers like Christopher Lee? Showbiz insiders tell us - AsiaOne - June 1st, 2021
- 10 Awful Films The Lord Of The Rings Actors Want You To Forget - WhatCulture - June 1st, 2021
- The Lord of the Rings movie trivia every fan should know but not repeat - Polygon - June 1st, 2021
- Philly grapples with statues of Frank Rizzo, Christopher Columbus, and more a year after protests - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 1st, 2021
- Christopher Lee: The Actor's Secret Life in Heavy Metal ... - May 21st, 2021
- Grand jury returns indictments in Henry County - BTW21 - May 21st, 2021
- Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring Turned Tolkien into a Pop Culture Behemoth - tor.com - May 21st, 2021
- Neil Marshall Interview: The Reckoning and More - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- After George Floyd's murder, "The only way I got through it was God" - MSNBC - May 21st, 2021
- Let MOH do its job, say experts - The Star Online - May 21st, 2021
- Now Is the Perfect Time to Climb Aboard Horror Express - Gizmodo - May 8th, 2021
- The Man with the Golden Gun Retro Review - Comic Years - May 8th, 2021
- 'Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter': The Action-Horror Hybrid That Reimagined the Hammer Vampire Film [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Man gets 32-years-to-life in prison for first degree murder - Action News Now - May 8th, 2021
- James Bond movies ranked: 007's best, worst and everything in between - CNET - May 8th, 2021
- POLICE BEAT: MAY 4 | News | sanfordherald.com - The Sanford Herald - May 8th, 2021
- Land transactions for the week of May 2, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 8th, 2021
- Andrew Cuomo, Matt Gaetz, and the New Never Resign School of Politics - The New Yorker - April 23rd, 2021
- Obituaries 04.21.21 Henry County Times - The Henry County Times, Inc. - April 23rd, 2021
- Exclusive Interview Clancy Brown on his journey with the horror genre and his role in The Mortuary Collection - Flickering Myth - April 23rd, 2021
- Kevin Thorn | Obits | wvnews.com - WV News - WV News - April 23rd, 2021
- These are the five best movies on TV for your Wednesday night in - Lovin.ie - April 23rd, 2021
- A royal life on screen: the actors who've portrayed the Duke of Edinburgh - Royal Central - April 23rd, 2021
- THE MORTUARY COLLECTION Interview: Director Ryan Spindell and Star Clancy Brown on Their Above-Average Horror Anthology - ScreenAnarchy - April 23rd, 2021
- Geoff Dyer: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry is like the gift of reading itself - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Amy Knox Wright | Obituaries | dailyadvance.com - The Daily Advance - April 23rd, 2021
- HS TRACK: Lees Whitehill an explosive shot put thrower - Midland Reporter-Telegram - April 23rd, 2021
- Land transactions for the week of April 4, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 5th, 2021
- Potter/Randall counties' court dockets for the week of April 4, 2021 - Amarillo.com - April 5th, 2021
- Arrest reports for the week of April 4, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 5th, 2021
- The 10 Best New Movies To Stream On Netflix This April Forbes #3 - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- I didnt just cover the Humboldt Broncos bus crash I lived it alongside the rest of the city - The Globe and Mail - April 5th, 2021
- On This Day: What happened on 28 March? - The South African - April 5th, 2021
- Friends of the DA - Knock LA - April 5th, 2021
- Why is cinema obsessed with remakes? - Spectator.co.uk - April 5th, 2021
- Christopher Lee dead at 79 Author and historian who wrote BBCs This Sceptred Isle dies of Covid - The Sun - February 17th, 2021
- Arrest records from the Feb. 17, 2021 edition of the Calhoun Times - Northwest Georgia News - February 17th, 2021
- HBO Maxs Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai Reveals Its Wildly Over-Talented Voice Cast - Gizmodo Australia - February 17th, 2021
- Concord Woman Arrested On Another Drunken Driving Charge: Police - Patch.com - February 16th, 2021
- Every Terry Pratchett Adaptation Ranked (Including The Watch) - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- 2 suspects in custody, 1 suspect dies from injuries after deadly ambush shooting at Jasco gas station - WJTV - February 14th, 2021
- Shooting victim remembered after gas station shootout - WAPT Jackson - February 14th, 2021
- Lord of the Rings: Why Saruman Betrayed Gandalf & Joined Sauron - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 14th, 2021
- Chinese New Year 2021: How Singapore celebrities welcomed the Year of the Ox - CNA - February 14th, 2021
- The lord of the rings, who are the highest paid actors in the saga? You will be surprised! - Sunriseread - February 14th, 2021
- Jamie Lee Curtis And Christopher Guest Give Relationship Advice, Put Yourself In The Path Of Love - ETCanada.com - February 5th, 2021
- Sir Ian McKellen shares Lord of The Rings photos - Lancashire Telegraph - February 5th, 2021
- Film Review: The Soul - - February 4th, 2021
- For the record | Record - Ottumwacourier - February 4th, 2021
- Eclectic Full Contact Theatre Founders Guest On IT'S SHOWTIME WITH RIKKI LEE - Broadway World - February 2nd, 2021
- 'Dr Death': From paralyzing patients to killing them, Christopher Duntsch wreaked havoc on the operating table - MEAWW - February 2nd, 2021
- First Disney+ trailer for Marvel's 'Behind the Mask' doc turns the page on superhero backstories - SYFY WIRE - February 2nd, 2021
- Sonoma Pharmaceuticals and Microderm Technologies Announce that Dermodacyn Disinfecting Solution is Now Available in Hong Kong and Thailand - Business... - January 31st, 2021
- Parratt-Rawls wed | Community | fbherald.com - Fort Bend Herald - January 31st, 2021
- Malaysia Suffers 'Lost Year' On Covid-19 Anniversary - CodeBlue - January 31st, 2021
- Jamie Lee Curtis and Christopher Guest to appear on JLGB Virtual next week - Jewish News - January 30th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero