The health district responsible for the hospital which employs an emergency doctor who said some women deserve to be raped has ordered the doctor be stood down while they investigate.
Earlier in April Dr Christopher Kwan Chen Lee was suspended by the Tasmanian health practitioners tribunal for six weeks after he admitted to posting a series of sexist and racist remarks online. While Lee previously worked in Tasmania, in 2018 he began work at Box Hill hospital in Victoria as an emergency doctor, and the suspension bars him from working anywhere in Australia.
Lees suspension was not to start until May, to give his workplace time to find a replacement. But after a public outcry about Lees online comments, which included: Some women deserve to be raped, and that supercilious little bitch fits the bill in every way, Lee was told not to return to work. About another woman, he wrote: She needs to be abandoned in India and repeatedly raped in order for her to wake up her idea.
Eastern Health said it had begun its own investigation into the implications of the tribunals findings. On Eastern Healths Facebook page people called for Lee to be fired, while an online petition says his licence to practice medicine should be revoked.
Dr Lee will not be returning to work until the completion of this investigation, the Eastern Health statement said. We wish to advise that Eastern Health takes the issue of professional misconduct very seriously we value diversity, inclusivity and living together respectfully and do not tolerate disrespectful comments or racism in any form.
Guardian Australia has uncovered a slew of offensive posts in addition to those investigated by the tribunal, along with examples of Lee posting photographs of medical procedures he performed and patient x-rays.
In a post made about a tsunami that hit Indonesia in September, killing hundreds, Lee wrote: Dont bother helping that nation of ingrates. In a post made in February, Lee wrote: Singaporean women are some of the most materialistic, pampered and self-entitled women you are likely to meet anywhere. He described Chinese women as calculating, ruthless animals. He took revenge on a woman who criticised him online by posting her nude photos on the internet, forcing her to close down her online accounts. A new legion of perverts would be viewing her images, he wrote, I won.
In other posts he insisted his online persona matched his real-life persona, going so far as to post photographs of his passport and medical degree to prove his identity, and one of himself wearing a stethoscope. When people criticised him for his comments, Lee replied, Malaysian and Australian authorities cant touch me for things I say on a Singaporean forum.
Lose job in Australia over stuff posted on a Singaporean forum? Lee, who is from Malaysia but studied medicine in Melbourne, wrote, Are you retarded?
Lee also posted photographs of his wife and boasted about their sex life. The tribunal heard that he said in one of his posts: If my marriage fell apart, it would not end in divorce. It would end in murder. In a post not considered by the tribunal, Lee wrote that if his wife were to become pregnant, he would force an abortion by kicking her down the stairs.
While he has not deleted his profile on the online forum, he has begun deleting his most offensive comments. He also made disparaging remarks about women and explicit posts about his wife on his Facebook account, which he has deleted.
A spokesperson for the Victorian health minister, Jenny Mikakos, told the ABC that the minister had asked the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency if the six-week suspension was adequate.
This behaviour is appalling and has no place in Victoria, let alone in our hospitals, the spokesperson said.
Along with the six-week ban the tribunal ordered Lee undergo training about ethical behaviour on social media. But Lee continued posting online, saying: Well see who has the last laugh. When a user of the forum asked him if he had completed the ethics training yet, he responded: Shhhhhhhh. Someone else told him to delete his problematic account and start afresh. You cant be serious, Lee replied. Lee has a small following of users on the forum who support his views and treat him with reverence, though many more are critical of him.
The online petition, started by the chief executive of a sexual assault support service Laurel House, Justine Brooks, has almost 800 signatures.
I find these comments from a registered doctor to be outrageous and unacceptable, and I feel compelled to challenge Dr Lees right to practice medicine in Australia, she said. The harm Dr Lee is suggesting in the above messages gives us some clear insight into the way he feels about and treats women. Make no mistake, domestic and sexual violence is now a national crisis.
Lee has previously been cautioned by his former employer, Royal Hobart hospital, for accessing a patients medical records on 21 occasions without consent or clinical need.
Do you know more? email@example.com
- World Dracula Day 2020: 5 Amazing Films Featuring the Gothic Character That Are a Must-Watch - News Brig - May 26th, 2020
- 'Lucky Grandma' review: Taking on the Chinese mob, with a cig and a sneer - Waterbury Republican American - May 26th, 2020
- The Clone Wars Celebrates the Prequel Trilogy as Its Own Distinct Version of Star Wars - The Escapist - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus in Texas: Bars, bowling alleys and other businesses can begin reopening Friday - KSAT San Antonio - May 25th, 2020
- Live Oak High School Class of 2020 | Livingston/Tangipahoa - The Advocate - May 25th, 2020
- Christopher Lee (historian) - Wikipedia - May 24th, 2020
- Eleven Of The Best Films On TV Tonight Friday May 22nd - Balls.ie - May 24th, 2020
- Why James Bond Doesn't Use A Walther PPK In Some Movies - Screen Rant - May 24th, 2020
- Revenge of The Sith Is Underrated. No, Really. - The Ringer - May 24th, 2020
- Arrest reports for the week of May 24, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 22nd, 2020
- Michael Parkinson and James Coburn? The story behind Wings' baffling cover for Band on the Run - Telegraph.co.uk - May 22nd, 2020
- Lucky Grandma review: Taking on the Chinese mob, with a cig and a sneer - The Columbus Dispatch - May 22nd, 2020
- 5 Animated Movies Cancers Will Identify With Most (& 5 To Avoid) - Screen Rant - May 20th, 2020
- Fred Willard Dies: Comedy Icon of Christopher Guests Best in Show and A Mighty Wind Was 86 - IndieWire - May 17th, 2020
- UFC on ESPN 8 play-by-play and live results - USA TODAY - May 17th, 2020
- Halloween: The Actress Who Almost Played Laurie Strode - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- Convicted murderer Christopher Lees appeal is denied ... - May 15th, 2020
- In Conversation with Dame Harriet Walter - Cherwell Online - May 15th, 2020
- V7: Michael Christopher's 7 artists that should be huge - Vanyaland - May 15th, 2020
- 10 ounces of meth, more than $51K in cash seized during NW Georgia bust, cops say - Atlanta Journal Constitution - May 15th, 2020
- Worry as those with non-communicable diseases not seeking treatment - Free Malaysia Today - May 15th, 2020
- Blu-ray Review: The Curse Of The Werewolf (Collector's Edition) - Inside Pulse - May 15th, 2020
- PHOTO | Check out how the judges were scoring Glover Teixeira vs. Anthony Smith - BJPENN.COM - May 15th, 2020
- Ridgefield High announces third quarter honor roll - The Ridgefield Press - May 15th, 2020
- On the record for May 11 - Seymour Tribune - May 13th, 2020
- Evangeline Lilly and Luke Evans in theaters The Hobbit in Mexico - Code List - May 13th, 2020
- Star Wars Prequels: All The Best Easter Eggs We Missed In The Films - TheThings - May 13th, 2020
- Hugo (2011) reviewed by George - stopthefud - May 13th, 2020
- CILLAR LEE DAVIS of BREWTON, ALA. - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - May 13th, 2020
- May 2020 Week 2 - stopthefud - May 13th, 2020
- May the 4th be with you! Ranking every 'Star Wars' movie ever made - WTOP - May 10th, 2020
- The Last Unicorn Is a Work of Art - WIRED - May 10th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of May 8 - ECM Publishers - May 10th, 2020
- How to Watch James Bond Movies in Order List of James Bond Movies in Order - Parade - May 10th, 2020
- Meet the Spring Class of 2020-Congratulations Graduates! | The Trumpet | WLU's Student News Source - The Trumpet Online - May 10th, 2020
- James Bond's Golden Gun Explained (and why it stinks in GoldenEye) - NewsDio - May 4th, 2020
- Actress Rebecca Lim shares who inspires her and is all for travelling solo - AsiaOne - May 4th, 2020
- How do you deal with mental health issues during the coronavirus pandemic? | St Albans and Harpenden News - Herts Advertiser - May 1st, 2020
- Countdown to 'Star Wars' Day: Why 'Episode II Attack of the Clones' is worth watching despite its weak plot - MEAWW - May 1st, 2020
- Killing Eve's Harriet Walter: "Women should be allowed to be controversial, difficult and rude" - harpersbazaar.com - May 1st, 2020
- How To Have A Colin Farrell Film Festival - ThatShelf.com - May 1st, 2020
- Property Transactions May 1, 2020 - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - May 1st, 2020
- Infinity and Beyond: Pixar's Ratatouille Revisited - /FILM - April 29th, 2020
- What to Stream: Forty-Six Films from OVID.tv, Crackle, and IFC Films Unlimited - The New Yorker - April 28th, 2020
- From Grindhouse Cinema to Invasion Narratives, Horror in the 1950s - CBR - Comic Book Resources - April 28th, 2020
- Actor Otto Mellies died at the age of 89 - International Law Lawyer News - April 28th, 2020
- Truck Chase in Belton - 106.3 WORD - April 27th, 2020
- Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones Retro Review - What's On Disney Plus - April 26th, 2020
- 'Viruses' on the Big Screen Movies about Pandemics - Ceylon Daily News - April 26th, 2020
- Michael Francis White Sr., 83, fellow of the National Heart Association's Council on Epidemiology - Williamsburg Yorktown Daily - April 26th, 2020
- Perspective: Malaysians need to prepare and adjust to new normal - The Edge Markets MY - April 26th, 2020
- Stars fire up their power to raise funds - The Straits Times - April 26th, 2020
- 10 Best Bond Villains, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - April 25th, 2020
- In 50 Texas counties without cases, is it a lack of the coronavirus or a lack of testing? - 550 KTSA - April 25th, 2020
- Despite Brian Kemp, AMC Wont Reopen Theaters Any Time Soon - Vanity Fair - April 25th, 2020
- Best of the 2010s: Boys Swimming - The Republic - April 22nd, 2020
- Archbishop Reinvents Resurrection Story . . . Lands in Hot Water! - The Star Newspaper - April 22nd, 2020
- Bingham Tabbed VaSID Indoor Track & Field Rookie of the Year and First Team All-State - Southern Virginia University News - April 22nd, 2020
- Why liking a picture of his son on Facebook landed dad in the cells - Grimsby Live - April 22nd, 2020
- Havea Named VaSID Women's Indoor First Team All-State - Southern Virginia University News - April 21st, 2020
- East Lyme Middle School Term 2 Honor Roll - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - April 21st, 2020
- Honor Roll Posted At Simsbury High School - Simsbury, CT Patch - April 21st, 2020
- Entertainment Starved Audiences Return to Auto Theatres - HNN Huntingtonnews.net - April 21st, 2020
- Man Charged with Kidnapping, Murder of 19-Year-Old Aniah Blanchard Charged with Biting Correction Officer - Alabama News Network - April 21st, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Nears End of Seven Season Run - MiceChat - April 19th, 2020
- 10 Classic Pieces Of Literature With The Most Cinematic Adaptations - Screen Rant - April 19th, 2020
- What lies inside the pond: Secrets to past and future life - The State Press - April 19th, 2020
- Gal Gadot picture and the covers of the magazine to disclose, Wonder Woman 1984 - Matzav Review - April 18th, 2020
- The Lord Of The Rings: Saruman's 10 Most Memorable Quotes - Screen Rant - April 18th, 2020
- Cleveland Pursuit Ends Safely With Wanted Felon Christopher Lewis In Custody - The Chattanoogan - April 18th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of April 19, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 18th, 2020
- Arrest reports for the week of April 19, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 18th, 2020
- SAM RAIMI CONFIRMS HE'S DIRECTING 'DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS' - HorrorCultFilms - April 16th, 2020
- The one country Telegraph readers long to rediscover more than any other - Telegraph.co.uk - April 16th, 2020
- Killing Eve: Who plays Dasha in series 3? Meet the actress behind Villanelles stern mentor - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - April 16th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 25 people in Ipswich court today - Ipswich Advertiser - April 16th, 2020
- Why Daniel Jeremiah Thinks the Titans May Draft a Receiver in Round 1 - atozsportsnashville.com - April 16th, 2020
- Empire Magazine Shared Awe-strucking Covers Of Wonder Woman 1984 With Gal Gadot As Diana Prince - The Inner Sane - April 14th, 2020
- Area births for week of April 13 - Press of Atlantic City - April 13th, 2020
- The Best Roles The Star Wars Cast Had That Werent Star Wars (According To IMDb) - Screen Rant - April 12th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero