The health district responsible for the hospital which employs an emergency doctor who said some women deserve to be raped has ordered the doctor be stood down while they investigate.
Earlier in April Dr Christopher Kwan Chen Lee was suspended by the Tasmanian health practitioners tribunal for six weeks after he admitted to posting a series of sexist and racist remarks online. While Lee previously worked in Tasmania, in 2018 he began work at Box Hill hospital in Victoria as an emergency doctor, and the suspension bars him from working anywhere in Australia.
Lees suspension was not to start until May, to give his workplace time to find a replacement. But after a public outcry about Lees online comments, which included: Some women deserve to be raped, and that supercilious little bitch fits the bill in every way, Lee was told not to return to work. About another woman, he wrote: She needs to be abandoned in India and repeatedly raped in order for her to wake up her idea.
Eastern Health said it had begun its own investigation into the implications of the tribunals findings. On Eastern Healths Facebook page people called for Lee to be fired, while an online petition says his licence to practice medicine should be revoked.
Dr Lee will not be returning to work until the completion of this investigation, the Eastern Health statement said. We wish to advise that Eastern Health takes the issue of professional misconduct very seriously we value diversity, inclusivity and living together respectfully and do not tolerate disrespectful comments or racism in any form.
Guardian Australia has uncovered a slew of offensive posts in addition to those investigated by the tribunal, along with examples of Lee posting photographs of medical procedures he performed and patient x-rays.
In a post made about a tsunami that hit Indonesia in September, killing hundreds, Lee wrote: Dont bother helping that nation of ingrates. In a post made in February, Lee wrote: Singaporean women are some of the most materialistic, pampered and self-entitled women you are likely to meet anywhere. He described Chinese women as calculating, ruthless animals. He took revenge on a woman who criticised him online by posting her nude photos on the internet, forcing her to close down her online accounts. A new legion of perverts would be viewing her images, he wrote, I won.
In other posts he insisted his online persona matched his real-life persona, going so far as to post photographs of his passport and medical degree to prove his identity, and one of himself wearing a stethoscope. When people criticised him for his comments, Lee replied, Malaysian and Australian authorities cant touch me for things I say on a Singaporean forum.
Lose job in Australia over stuff posted on a Singaporean forum? Lee, who is from Malaysia but studied medicine in Melbourne, wrote, Are you retarded?
Lee also posted photographs of his wife and boasted about their sex life. The tribunal heard that he said in one of his posts: If my marriage fell apart, it would not end in divorce. It would end in murder. In a post not considered by the tribunal, Lee wrote that if his wife were to become pregnant, he would force an abortion by kicking her down the stairs.
While he has not deleted his profile on the online forum, he has begun deleting his most offensive comments. He also made disparaging remarks about women and explicit posts about his wife on his Facebook account, which he has deleted.
A spokesperson for the Victorian health minister, Jenny Mikakos, told the ABC that the minister had asked the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency if the six-week suspension was adequate.
This behaviour is appalling and has no place in Victoria, let alone in our hospitals, the spokesperson said.
Along with the six-week ban the tribunal ordered Lee undergo training about ethical behaviour on social media. But Lee continued posting online, saying: Well see who has the last laugh. When a user of the forum asked him if he had completed the ethics training yet, he responded: Shhhhhhhh. Someone else told him to delete his problematic account and start afresh. You cant be serious, Lee replied. Lee has a small following of users on the forum who support his views and treat him with reverence, though many more are critical of him.
The online petition, started by the chief executive of a sexual assault support service Laurel House, Justine Brooks, has almost 800 signatures.
I find these comments from a registered doctor to be outrageous and unacceptable, and I feel compelled to challenge Dr Lees right to practice medicine in Australia, she said. The harm Dr Lee is suggesting in the above messages gives us some clear insight into the way he feels about and treats women. Make no mistake, domestic and sexual violence is now a national crisis.
Lee has previously been cautioned by his former employer, Royal Hobart hospital, for accessing a patients medical records on 21 occasions without consent or clinical need.
Do you know more? email@example.com
- Review: 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' soars with visual magic at Manoa Valley Theatre - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 26th, 2020
- IN THE DOCK: A weekly round-up of people convicted at Slough Magistrates' Court - Windsor Observer - January 26th, 2020
- Back For More / North junior seeks to build on last year's conference title - The Republic - January 24th, 2020
- Kingdom Hearts 3 ReMIND: Who is the voice actor for Xehanort? Hollywood star shocks fans! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 24th, 2020
- Obituary: Kenny Lynch, singer and actor remembered as a member of Britains Rat Pack - The Scotsman - January 24th, 2020
- Photo Flash: First Look at the UK Tour of THE CAT AND THE CANARY - Broadway World - January 24th, 2020
- Acting group that started in prison hits Greenwich Village - WPIX 11 New York - January 23rd, 2020
- Defendants arraigned in Taylor County Circuit Court Thursday - Mountain Statesman - January 23rd, 2020
- Frederick County grand jury indicts 46 - The Winchester Star - January 23rd, 2020
- 20 Movies To Watch If You Like Harry Potter | TheThings - TheThings - January 23rd, 2020
- James Bond movies ranked in order from best to worst - NEWS.com.au - January 23rd, 2020
- Bong Joon-Ho To Receive Director Of The Year Award At Santa Barbara Film Fest - International Business Times - January 23rd, 2020
- Ian McKellens unearthed Lord of the Rings set diaries are pure gold - Polygon - January 21st, 2020
- Ten controversial judgments that cost Leeds United this season - Tech Ballad - January 21st, 2020
- Every James Bond Movie Title Meaning Explained | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 18th, 2020
- Good Morning Britain hosts red-faced as wrong photo of guest Britt Ekland airs - Extra.ie - January 18th, 2020
- Will there be a Dracula season 2? - RadioTimes - January 18th, 2020
- Sussexes Summit: 90 Minutes Which Saved The Royal Family? - Forces Network - January 16th, 2020
- Grand Jury convened on Monday - Mountain Statesman - January 16th, 2020
- Grand jurors in Taylor, Upshur WV counties hand up indictments - WV News - January 16th, 2020
- What I'm watching: a great film about the First World War - Reminder Publications - January 16th, 2020
- The Leading Non-Fungible Token Event February 20, Times Square NYC - NewsAffinity - January 16th, 2020
- Sir Ian McKellens Lord of the Rings blog is the only good thing left - The Spinoff - January 16th, 2020
- Australian brush fires: Climate change makes fire weather the norm - themediatimes - January 16th, 2020
- Lee Childs Jack Reacher series heading to Amazon - CANOE - January 16th, 2020
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: 10 Hero Skins We Need | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2020
- 20 years later, Ian McKellen's Lord Of The Rings filming blog is still charming as a hobbit's home - The A.V. Club - January 13th, 2020
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord deserter arrested in Oregon - Stars and Stripes - January 11th, 2020
- Netflixs much-debated Dracula is latest in long TV bloodline - cleveland.com - January 11th, 2020
- JAIL ACTIVITY: Jan. 10, 2020 | News - Evening News and Tribune - January 10th, 2020
- Night School Comedy Pilot Based On Movie Ordered By NBC From Christopher Moynihan, Kevin Hart, Will Packer & Malcom D. Lee - Deadline - January 10th, 2020
- Dracula on BBC/Netflix: What Sucked And What Didn't - 25YearsLaterSite.com - January 10th, 2020
- Former Bond Girl Doesn't Think A Female Should Portray 007 - TheRichest - January 10th, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan facing criticism in Britain over plan to step back from Royal duties - The Globe and Mail - January 10th, 2020
- Ally Ross: Dracula drained the lifeblood out of viewers pushing BBCs woke agenda - The Scottish Sun - January 10th, 2020
- BBC/Netlix Dracula Is A Tribute To The British Hammer Horror Films - Forbes - January 9th, 2020
- The New Dracula Is Imaginative But Ultimately Fails - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- A new Dracula series is streaming on Netflix here are 19 actors who have played the famous vampire - Business Insider - January 9th, 2020
- CJ's reviews: The disaster that is Cats, Dracula and The Commons - ABC Local - January 9th, 2020
- Former Bond girl Britt Ekland doesn't want a woman to play 007: 'That's not going to happen' - AOL - January 9th, 2020
- He Specialises In Murder, In The Most Gruesome Ways Imaginable The House That Dripped Blood (Blu-ray Review) - VultureHound Magazine - January 9th, 2020
- On the record for Jan. 3 | Featured-cvx - Petoskey News-Review - January 4th, 2020
- Trial for man accused of fatally stabbing another in March to begin next week - Argus Leader - January 4th, 2020
- Recent arrests of note in Henry County | News - Henry Herald - January 4th, 2020
- What's on TV tonight: Mary Berry makes her way to Southend for Jamie And Jimmys Friday Night Feast and Earths Tropical Islands - inews - January 4th, 2020
- Here's What We Know about the Darth Vader Prequel Show so Far - TVOvermind - January 4th, 2020
- all the films in the series ordered from worst to best - Asap Land - January 4th, 2020
- The Best Moments in The Lord of the Rings Movies - Sunriseread - January 4th, 2020
- Dracula, BBC1, review: this gloriously hammy adaptation paid homage to Christopher Lee and Hammer House of Horror - inews - January 3rd, 2020
- The Best Movies of the Decade (2010-2019) - KJZZ - January 3rd, 2020
- Cases heard recently in 90th District Court, 33rd Circuit Court - Petoskey News-Review - January 3rd, 2020
- Climate Change: Are Global Threats An Opportunity To Put The UK Back On The Map In 2020? - Forces Network - January 3rd, 2020
- Sir Christopher Lee (1922-2015) - Find A Grave Memorial - January 2nd, 2020
- Dracula's in our blood: The 20 best actors ever to play the evil count - Mirror Online - January 2nd, 2020
- Kathy Lynn Sutton Adams The News Journal - The News Journal - January 1st, 2020
- Law enforcement Friday | Law Enforcement - Herald and News - December 31st, 2019
- Reconfiguration to begin in the 2020-21 school year - C&G Newspapers - December 31st, 2019
- Chris Watts Confessions Of A Killer Release Date And Cast - Otakukart News - December 31st, 2019
- Star Wars: Ranking All The Villains In The Prequel Trilogy - Screen Rant - December 31st, 2019
- Line of Duty star 'argued' with creator Jed Mercurio over death - digitalspy.com - December 27th, 2019
- Man accused of fraud involving auto parts waives right to hearing in Harrison WV - WV News - December 27th, 2019
- Trip to the B side of the Spanish cinema - INDONEWYORK - December 27th, 2019
- When is Dracula coming to TV? Who's writing it? And who's within the forged? - Filmi Baba - December 27th, 2019
- Star Wars: What did Finn want to say to Rey in Rise of Skywalker? JJ Abrams answers mystery - The Media Hq - December 26th, 2019
- Houstons military museum, actors who were veterans and Armed Forces Appreciation Day - Houston Herald - December 25th, 2019
- 'Chris Watts: Confessions of a Killer': Release date, plot, cast, trailer and everything else about the chilli - MEAWW - December 25th, 2019
- Heavenly holiday sounds: Harpist Merynda Adams and violinist Christopher Collins Lee in Morristownand the Christmas Singers, too - Morristown Green - December 25th, 2019
- People exposed to violence end up isolated and lonely, with chronic health problems - Jordan Times - December 24th, 2019
- B. Christopher Lee - Kurtz & Revness - December 23rd, 2019
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in January 2020 - Netflix Life - December 23rd, 2019
- 10 Weird Christmas Songs You Probably Haven't Heard - Billboard - December 23rd, 2019
- Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker: JJ Abrams explains the meaning behind the great revelation of Episode IX - The Media Hq - December 23rd, 2019
- iAmLife Celebrates with an Influencer-Studded Holiday Party - PRNewswire - December 20th, 2019
- What Is The State Of Defence Stateside? - Forces Network - December 20th, 2019
- The Man With the Golden Gun: Great Villain, Lousy Bond Movie - Sunriseread - December 20th, 2019
- Old Mill wrestling handles Oakland Mills in crossover dual - Baltimore Sun - December 20th, 2019
- A Toast To Anthony Daniels, Who Found A Great Gig And Stuck With It - Birth.Movies.Death. - December 20th, 2019
- How Alice Cooper Almost Added James Bond Theme Song to His Resume - Ultimate Classic Rock - December 20th, 2019
- Boy, 12, who has the 'Dracula's disease' is 'scared of sun exposure' - Herald Publicist - December 20th, 2019
- Ive spent 40 years thinking about Star Wars. Here are 40 thoughts. - austin360 - December 20th, 2019
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero