The long-awaited Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has opened in north London, featuringa retractable pitch that can host both Premier League football matches and American football.
Built on the site of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club's former home White Hart Lane, the62,062-seater stadiumdesigned by Populous will host its first Premier League match tonight.
Along with being the home to Tottenham Hotspur, the multipurpose stadium is the first outside the USA to be designed to host NFL games, with a fully retractable natural turf pitch that can be removed to reveal an artificial playing surface.
"It is a benchmark of how stadiums should be designed,"Christopher Lee, managing director of Populous told Dezeen.
"This is a game changer. There is no doubt in my mind that the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the best stadium in the world."
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium's most distinctive feature is the17,500 capacity South Stand, which is the largest single-tier stand in the UK.
It is topped with a glass walkway, where visitors can walk out to touch the cockerel above the stand.
Populous designed the South Stand to help create a "wall of sound" within the stadium and help create a distinctive unique feel to the ground.
"We wanted to create a seating bowl that had identity, that had character, that wasn't just a symmetrical ubiquitous stadium that you didn't know where you are, didn't know which stand you were in," said Lee.
Below the South Stand is afive-storey-high glass atrium with two large tree-like columns that support the structure. This area, called The Market, is a large food and drinks hall that contains a65-metre bar Europe's longest.
The space is intended to be used as a gathering place before and after the matches, as well as being opened up for events.
It is one of several features designed to maximise the functionality of the building, along with the media room, which willbe used as a cafe on non-game days, and the micro-brewery operated byBeavertown Brewery.
"It seems insane to have built stadiums of this size that would only be used for one team every other week," said Lee.
"Here it was very much about creating genuinely a kind of civic building. To have the community come in and use the cafe or brewery or in the south stand, I think that's great."
Being able to remove the turf pitch, which is separated into three parts before being rolled under the south stand for storage, is key to this strategy.As well as being able to play American football, it means the space can easily and quickly be converted into a venue for concerts and events.
"We are designing an economic resilience into the building by cleverly creating spaces that have multiple uses," continued Lee.
According to Lee, the club's main aim for the stadium was for all fans to have a greatmatch day experience, no matter how much they are paying.
"We have always treated general admissions fans really badly," said Lee.
"Cheapest tickets are still expensive and they are treated really badly come in here, do this, drink some overpriced bad beer and then leave. Here the idea is that it is much more democratic everyone has a great experience."
Key to this strategy was creating a full-day experience, with numerous different options for fans.
In the general admission areas, ticket holders can explore the full length of the concourse, which along with The Market and micro-brewery hasthree pub-style bars inspired by White Hart Lane.
"We looked at a lot of stadiums around the world. One of the things we really liked about NFL stadiums, is the ability to move freely around the building," continued Lee.
"Football used to be much like the theatre, you are rushed in, went to the theatre and had a quick drink at half time. Now there is the idea that people go for a much longer time, its a day out rather than just a 90-minute game."
The stadium also has a huge variety of private and corporate suites and bars. These include The Tunnel Club, a restaurant and bar with a glass-wall that will allowguests to watch as players walk from the changing rooms to the pitch.
Two further exclusive spaces, names Sky Lounges, at the top of theEast and West stands will give spectators panoramic views of the pitch.
Throughout the project Populous wanted to create a football stadium that was both modern and authentic.
"We were really interested in what makes an authentic football experience," said Lee.
"The club wanted to created higher quality, but how do you do that without losing the bits of football that we love? How do you create higher quality without becoming Selfridges food hall, which is really easy to tip into as a designer."
Alongside the stadium, the Tottenham Experience includes the club's museum, archives, shop and a cafe. The building, which has a facade made form CNC-cutcast iron, extendseitherside of therestored Grade II-listed Warmington House.
Now the stadium is complete, the second phase of theTottenham Hotspur's development of the site is set to begin. This will include a180-bedroom hotel,an extreme sports building with the UK's tallest climbing wall, a community health centre and 222 new affordable homes.
Populous is one of the world's most prolific stadium designers. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the third large stadium designed by Populous in the capital with Arsenal'sEmirates stadium opening in 2006 and Wembley for the English national football team in 2007.
Having creating several of the stadiums that hosted games at the World Cup in 2018, the studio is now designing a spherical arena in London, and themasterplan for Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
Photography is by Hufton + Crow, unless stated.
- How to turn racists genetic arguments against them - The Irish Times - February 13th, 2020
- Rasputin the Mad Monk (Blu-ray Review) - The Digital Bits - February 13th, 2020
- Danny Trejo is Officially The Most Killed Actor in Hollywood - TVOvermind - February 13th, 2020
- Prince George May Allegedly Never Become King Because Of British Monarchy Possibly Ending - International Business Times - February 13th, 2020
- The 10 Best Casts From 2000s Movies | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 13th, 2020
- Three indicted on unrelated assault charges | Crime - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Black Sabbath Reflect on 50 Years of Debut LP, Birth of Heavy Metal - Rolling Stone - February 13th, 2020
- Prince George shock: Is he or Princess Charlotte really better suited to rule? - Express - February 13th, 2020
- Royal bombshell: Why Prince George will never be King - experts shock claim - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Bettie Lee Thompson | Obituaries - The Winchester Star - February 10th, 2020
- Danny Trejo Beats Christopher Lee as Hollywood's Most Killed Actor - MovieWeb - February 9th, 2020
- Dying to Win an Oscar: Do Performers Need to Perish On-Screen to Prevail? - Observer - February 9th, 2020
- 'THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE' REBOOT FINDS ITS DIRECTORS AND WRITER - HorrorCultFilms - February 9th, 2020
- One Of The Lord Of The Rings Actors Had Almost Died Twice In WWII - Gentside UK - February 8th, 2020
- Research Reveals That Danny Trejo Has Topped Christopher Lee as the Most Killed Actor in Hollywood - Bloody Disgusting - February 8th, 2020
- Every James Bond film, ranked - British GQ - February 8th, 2020
- Burnaby athletes head to Winter Games - Burnaby Now - February 8th, 2020
- The Good Weekend Quiz: February 8 - The Age - February 8th, 2020
- serie architects' satsang hall is an assemblage of perforated white volumes - Designboom - February 6th, 2020
- Canadian businessmen accused in $35-million international pump-and-dump stock plot - National Post - February 6th, 2020
- Death drive: why Danny Trejo's doomed legend will live for ever - The Guardian - February 4th, 2020
- 10 actors who died the most in films, from John Hurt to Christopher Lee - The Media Hq - February 4th, 2020
- 'Lord, let's get this money': Justin Bufford brings the grind to Catholic - Montgomery Advertiser - February 4th, 2020
- On the record February 4 - Seymour Tribune - February 4th, 2020
- Bond star Britt heads to Malvern - Cotswold Journal - February 3rd, 2020
- 'The Masked Singer' Season 3 Premiere Recap: Jamie Foxx Guest-Stars as Robot Heads to the Scrap Heap - Billboard - February 3rd, 2020
- Sumter wrestling takes third in region duals, earns spot in playoffs - Sumter Item - February 3rd, 2020
- WHO's global emergency declaration: What does it mean for Malaysia? - The Star Online - February 1st, 2020
- Shasta High Grad Kathleen Kennedy to Receive Highest Honor in British Film - A News Cafe - February 1st, 2020
- UPDATE: 8 men arrested after CPD SWAT team serve 3 drug-related search warrants on Lee Street and Cusseta Road - WRBL - February 1st, 2020
- How Wrath Of The Gods Would Have Ended The Wicker Man Trilogy - Screen Rant - January 31st, 2020
- Sheriff's office reports January arrests | Police and Fire - The Star Democrat - January 31st, 2020
- We've Ranked The Most Popular Lord Of The Rings Actors, By Salary - TheThings - January 31st, 2020
- Famed Aussies Kylie Minogue, Naomi Watts, and More Gathered to Raise Money for Bushfire Relief Efforts - Vogue - January 31st, 2020
- Curate on the move - Newark Advertiser - January 30th, 2020
- San Diego's Wanted: Resisting an officer - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Christopher Lee | James Bond Wiki | Fandom - January 29th, 2020
- Seven Six Cuts Across the Grooves - UMass Lowell - January 29th, 2020
- 5 things to know today: Father sentenced, Flood preparedness, Exploited students, Helping families, Auctioneer champ - INFORUM - January 29th, 2020
- LATEST TRAILERS: 'WAR OF THE WORLDS' [YES ANOTHER VERSION!] - HorrorCultFilms - January 29th, 2020
- Police Arrests and Incidents - Tulsa World - January 29th, 2020
- 'THE THING' REMAKE COMING FROM BLUMHOUSE - HorrorCultFilms - January 29th, 2020
- Why an artist smashed up 'The Dukes of Hazzard's' General Lee - Los Angeles Times - January 29th, 2020
- Terengganu clears the air on Christopher Fayers situation - Goal.com - January 29th, 2020
- Lizzo, Body-Shaming, And The Obesity Crisis - Black Enterprise - January 28th, 2020
- Tune in Tonight: Anything but All Rise; a lost Rainbow Coalition - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 28th, 2020
- Ever wonder what the 1984 Ghostbusters did after beating Gozer? Finally, we have answers - SYFY WIRE - January 28th, 2020
- Kevin McDonough's 'Tune in Tonight'': Anything but 'All Rise'; a lost 'Rainbow Coalition' - The Union Leader - January 27th, 2020
- Michael Caine Praises '1917' And Twitter Wants To Know If Christopher Nolan Is Okay - Mashable India - January 27th, 2020
- Review: 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' soars with visual magic at Manoa Valley Theatre - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 26th, 2020
- IN THE DOCK: A weekly round-up of people convicted at Slough Magistrates' Court - Windsor Observer - January 26th, 2020
- Back For More / North junior seeks to build on last year's conference title - The Republic - January 24th, 2020
- Kingdom Hearts 3 ReMIND: Who is the voice actor for Xehanort? Hollywood star shocks fans! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 24th, 2020
- Obituary: Kenny Lynch, singer and actor remembered as a member of Britains Rat Pack - The Scotsman - January 24th, 2020
- Photo Flash: First Look at the UK Tour of THE CAT AND THE CANARY - Broadway World - January 24th, 2020
- Acting group that started in prison hits Greenwich Village - WPIX 11 New York - January 23rd, 2020
- Defendants arraigned in Taylor County Circuit Court Thursday - Mountain Statesman - January 23rd, 2020
- Frederick County grand jury indicts 46 - The Winchester Star - January 23rd, 2020
- 20 Movies To Watch If You Like Harry Potter | TheThings - TheThings - January 23rd, 2020
- James Bond movies ranked in order from best to worst - NEWS.com.au - January 23rd, 2020
- Bong Joon-Ho To Receive Director Of The Year Award At Santa Barbara Film Fest - International Business Times - January 23rd, 2020
- Ian McKellens unearthed Lord of the Rings set diaries are pure gold - Polygon - January 21st, 2020
- Ten controversial judgments that cost Leeds United this season - Tech Ballad - January 21st, 2020
- Every James Bond Movie Title Meaning Explained | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 18th, 2020
- Good Morning Britain hosts red-faced as wrong photo of guest Britt Ekland airs - Extra.ie - January 18th, 2020
- Will there be a Dracula season 2? - RadioTimes - January 18th, 2020
- Sussexes Summit: 90 Minutes Which Saved The Royal Family? - Forces Network - January 16th, 2020
- Grand Jury convened on Monday - Mountain Statesman - January 16th, 2020
- Grand jurors in Taylor, Upshur WV counties hand up indictments - WV News - January 16th, 2020
- What I'm watching: a great film about the First World War - Reminder Publications - January 16th, 2020
- The Leading Non-Fungible Token Event February 20, Times Square NYC - NewsAffinity - January 16th, 2020
- Sir Ian McKellens Lord of the Rings blog is the only good thing left - The Spinoff - January 16th, 2020
- Australian brush fires: Climate change makes fire weather the norm - themediatimes - January 16th, 2020
- Lee Childs Jack Reacher series heading to Amazon - CANOE - January 16th, 2020
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: 10 Hero Skins We Need | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2020
- 20 years later, Ian McKellen's Lord Of The Rings filming blog is still charming as a hobbit's home - The A.V. Club - January 13th, 2020
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord deserter arrested in Oregon - Stars and Stripes - January 11th, 2020
- Netflixs much-debated Dracula is latest in long TV bloodline - cleveland.com - January 11th, 2020
- JAIL ACTIVITY: Jan. 10, 2020 | News - Evening News and Tribune - January 10th, 2020
- Night School Comedy Pilot Based On Movie Ordered By NBC From Christopher Moynihan, Kevin Hart, Will Packer & Malcom D. Lee - Deadline - January 10th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero