The Irishman is now on Netflix for viewers everywhere to see Martin Scorseses epic crime drama. Scorsese had to forego a traditional theatrical release when studios passed on making his latest film, although Netflix did release The Irishman in some theaters November 1. While reviews have been mostly positive, Showbiz Cheat Sheets review found The Irishman problematic. Even the greatest directors cant be perfect.
The Irishman is not Scorseses worst though. Hes had an even greater misstep, and so have most of the worlds great directors. These are some of the worst movies by some of the greatest directors. Hopefully they wont mind pointing these out since every director has a dud but few have made the beloved classics these filmmakers have.
Whatever you think of The Irishman, its definitely in Martin Scorseses wheelhouse. Its an epic crime drama covering a mafiosos life from youth to old age. Whether it works or not, its territory Scorsese knows. Musicals are not, and after making New York, New York, Scorsese never tried another musical.
On paper New York, New York looks great. Youve got Robert De Niro fresh off Taxi Driver and Broadway queen Liza Minnelli, but its all very awkward, drawn out at 155 minutes, and after all that time you wont remember any of the music.
Steven Spielberg has been perhaps the most unflappable director in Hollywood. There seems to be nothing he cant do. Hes the king of blockbuster adventure from Jaws and Indiana Jones to Jurassic Park and Ready Player One. He does serious drama too, from the Oscar-winning Schindlers List to recent true stories like The Post and Lincoln. He doesnt do straight comedy though, and this early movie may be why.
1941 had an all star cast including John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Tim Matheson, Nancy Allen, Robert Stack, Ned Beatty, Christopher Lee and more. It was a raucous comedy about panic and misadventure after Pearl Harbor and even spoofed Spielbergs own Jaws. The comic relief in Spielbergs other movies totally works, but somehow straight comedy fell flat. Maybe they were just trying too hard. He probably should have tried comedy again, but 1941 was a battle Spielberg lost.
While The Irishman director was making his musical, Francis Ford Coppolas struggle to make Apocalypse Now became legend. When the movie turns out to be Apocalypse Now, perhaps it is more acceptable to go crazy in the jungle. Less attention is ever devoted to his follow-up film, One From the Heart, which proved to be even more disastrous.
Coppola wanted to make an old school studio musical where the sets were clearly artificial. He vastly overestimated the audience for such artifice. Tom Waits did the music for it, but contributed to an overall lethargic tone. Whats most remarkable is that Coppola burned through all the profits from Apocalypse Now as One From the Heart dragged on. When he released the film it could not recoup the investment, but it is a fascinating look at his singular obsession.
The Coen Brothers have such an almost unquantifiable style thats its often easiest to just describe their movies as Coen Brothers movies. From Raising Arizona and Fargo to The Big Lebowski and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, the Coens specialize in quirky characters, even in their serious films like No Country for Old Men and A Serious Man.
Their remake of The Ladykillers collapsed under the weight of too much Coen quirk. It should have been great. Tom Hanks leads a cast of bumbling crooks (Marlon Wayans, J.K. Simmons, Ryan Hurst, Tzi Ma) thwarted by an old woman (Irma P. Hall). Theyre all trying so hard to be memorable Coen movie characters that each one becomes obnoxious and the Coens repeat jokes weve seen before.
David Fincher would say his worst movie was Alien 3. Thats the one where he was too new to persevere against studio interference and the final product does not reflect his vision. Its still a solid Alien movie though. Once he made Se7en, all David Fincher films could be pure David Fincher films, for better or worse. Usually theyre for the better, but in one case theyre worse.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a whimsical epic about a man (Brad Pitt) born old who de-ages throughout his life. Only problem is, his life, which the viewer witnesses over the course of three hours, is a total bore. Thats not quite as long as The Irishman but its still too much. The visual effects are astounding but Pitt and Cate Blanchett have nothing to do.
Now as a director, Clint Eastwoods reputation comes from Oscar-winning dramas like Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby. Even the ones that dont win awards are acclaimed like American Sniper and Gran Torino. His early directorial efforts were still exciting action movies like The Gauntlet and The Eiger Sanction.
Firefox was a fizzle though. Eastwood also starred as a pilot on a mission to steal a Russian jet that can be pilots by mind control. Sounds exciting, but its very talky and overly long at two hours, 16 minutes which moves so slowly it feels like The Irishman. Eastwood returned to Dirty Harry and westerns but its a shame Firefox couldnt be his James Bond movie.
- Gossip mill: Christopher Lee in running for Best Actor in Golden Bell Awards but son can't smile and other entertainment news this week - AsiaOne - September 5th, 2021
- Winchester Little Theatre to offer mystery, laughs in first play of the season - Northern Virginia Daily - September 5th, 2021
- The enduring appeal of the Bond villain - Spectator.co.uk - September 5th, 2021
- THE CAT AND THE CANARY Returns to UK Tour - Broadway World - September 5th, 2021
- The Reclamation of Shang-Chi - The Ringer - September 5th, 2021
- Darth Vader Rated the 3rd-Best Movie Villain , But Who Beat Him? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Antony Costa cast in The Cat and The Canary at Darlington - The Northern Echo - September 5th, 2021
- From Captain Invincible to Cleverman: the weird and wild history of Australian superheroes - The Guardian - September 5th, 2021
- Live And Let Drive: The Cars Might Steal The Show In The New Bond Film - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - September 5th, 2021
- I turned to The Secret Life of Us for warm nostalgia. Instead, I found jarring memories - The Conversation AU - September 5th, 2021
- From PSG, Barcelona and Wrexham: The 18 former Newcastle United players on the move this summer - Shields Gazette - September 5th, 2021
- Revisiting the Weird Legacy of Lord of the Rings: The Third Age - Gizmodo - September 5th, 2021
- The Weeknd's watch collection is just as unconventional as you'd expect - British GQ - August 10th, 2021
- Photographer Christopher Lee Was at the Capitol on Jan. 6. Here's What It Was Like to Return to the Story for TIME's Mike Fanone Cover - Yahoo News - August 10th, 2021
- Who Is Kathy Hochul, the Politician Who Could Become the First Female Governor of New York? - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Police officer killed 100 years ago | News, Sports, Jobs - Minot Daily News - August 10th, 2021
- Five actors who played real-life politicians on screen - The Express Tribune - August 10th, 2021
- Lee County deputy accused of tipping off drug operation A Lee County deputy is off the - Wink News - August 10th, 2021
- Carnegie, Scott area real estate transactions for the week of Aug. 8, 2021 - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2021
- 9-Disc Christopher Lee Eurocrypt Box Set Arrives Later ... - July 26th, 2021
- Man convicted in Tennessee toddler's 2001 death - CT Post - July 26th, 2021
- Traffic stop ended in chase, gunfire - suspect still on the run - WLTX.com - July 11th, 2021
- OTR: 'Band on the Run' cover features a plethora of people - The Sanford Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Its a horrible decision retired Major weighs in on troop withdrawal from Afghanistan - Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW) - July 11th, 2021
- SLED identifies suspect wanted in Oconee Co. deputy-involved shooting - WSPA 7News - July 11th, 2021
- 'Blood From the Mummy's Tomb' Was One of Hammer's Last Great Monster Movies [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Cuts Ribbon on New All Affordable Senior Housing Honoring the Late Todd A. Lee | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - July 11th, 2021
- The Lord of the Rings: review - Mail and Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- A little bit of magic dust: the second life of The Secret Life of Us - Sydney Morning Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Charlottesville removes Confederate statues, including one that sparked deadly far-right rally - USA TODAY - July 11th, 2021
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory Premiered in Theaters 50 Years Ago Today - MovieWeb - July 1st, 2021
- Self-sanitising escalators, more space and different urinals - how stadium architecture will change in a COVID... - The Athletic - July 1st, 2021
- Le Roy remembers Maddie Masters during 2021 graduation | Top Story | thedailynewsonline.com - The Daily News Online - July 1st, 2021
- Awe-Inspiring Facts About Sir Christopher Lee - June 14th, 2021
- Christopher Lee and Fann Wong become the ambassadors of OMG! Gods of Three Kingdoms in Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2021
- 'We are exactly where we're supposed to be:' Blue Hills Vo Tech graduates Class of 2021 - The Patriot Ledger - June 14th, 2021
- Soulmates found love on two wheels said 'I do' in their cycling gear - The Westmorland Gazette - June 14th, 2021
- They prepare animated film of The Lord of the Rings Tomatazos Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark At 40: Facts And Myths - The Vintage News - June 14th, 2021
- Make vaccination easier for persons with dementia - The Star Online - June 14th, 2021
- Essex crime: Faces and stories of 14 criminals jailed in Essex last month - Essex Live - June 14th, 2021
- Christopher Lee Had to Get Permission From the King of Sweden to Marry His Then-Fiance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 1st, 2021
- The Wicker Man: 1973 folk-horror endures to this day as a masterpiece of the form - The Guardian - June 1st, 2021
- Christopher Lee and Vincent Price Honored by Horror Fans on Their Shared Birthday - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- After breaking the law, can Terence Cao and Shane Pow continue their careers like Christopher Lee? Showbiz insiders tell us - AsiaOne - June 1st, 2021
- 10 Awful Films The Lord Of The Rings Actors Want You To Forget - WhatCulture - June 1st, 2021
- The Lord of the Rings movie trivia every fan should know but not repeat - Polygon - June 1st, 2021
- Philly grapples with statues of Frank Rizzo, Christopher Columbus, and more a year after protests - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 1st, 2021
- Christopher Lee: The Actor's Secret Life in Heavy Metal ... - May 21st, 2021
- Grand jury returns indictments in Henry County - BTW21 - May 21st, 2021
- Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring Turned Tolkien into a Pop Culture Behemoth - tor.com - May 21st, 2021
- Neil Marshall Interview: The Reckoning and More - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- After George Floyd's murder, "The only way I got through it was God" - MSNBC - May 21st, 2021
- Let MOH do its job, say experts - The Star Online - May 21st, 2021
- Now Is the Perfect Time to Climb Aboard Horror Express - Gizmodo - May 8th, 2021
- The Man with the Golden Gun Retro Review - Comic Years - May 8th, 2021
- 'Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter': The Action-Horror Hybrid That Reimagined the Hammer Vampire Film [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Man gets 32-years-to-life in prison for first degree murder - Action News Now - May 8th, 2021
- James Bond movies ranked: 007's best, worst and everything in between - CNET - May 8th, 2021
- POLICE BEAT: MAY 4 | News | sanfordherald.com - The Sanford Herald - May 8th, 2021
- Land transactions for the week of May 2, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 8th, 2021
- Andrew Cuomo, Matt Gaetz, and the New Never Resign School of Politics - The New Yorker - April 23rd, 2021
- Obituaries 04.21.21 Henry County Times - The Henry County Times, Inc. - April 23rd, 2021
- Exclusive Interview Clancy Brown on his journey with the horror genre and his role in The Mortuary Collection - Flickering Myth - April 23rd, 2021
- Kevin Thorn | Obits | wvnews.com - WV News - WV News - April 23rd, 2021
- These are the five best movies on TV for your Wednesday night in - Lovin.ie - April 23rd, 2021
- A royal life on screen: the actors who've portrayed the Duke of Edinburgh - Royal Central - April 23rd, 2021
- THE MORTUARY COLLECTION Interview: Director Ryan Spindell and Star Clancy Brown on Their Above-Average Horror Anthology - ScreenAnarchy - April 23rd, 2021
- Geoff Dyer: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry is like the gift of reading itself - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Amy Knox Wright | Obituaries | dailyadvance.com - The Daily Advance - April 23rd, 2021
- HS TRACK: Lees Whitehill an explosive shot put thrower - Midland Reporter-Telegram - April 23rd, 2021
- Land transactions for the week of April 4, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 5th, 2021
- Potter/Randall counties' court dockets for the week of April 4, 2021 - Amarillo.com - April 5th, 2021
- Arrest reports for the week of April 4, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 5th, 2021
- The 10 Best New Movies To Stream On Netflix This April Forbes #3 - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- I didnt just cover the Humboldt Broncos bus crash I lived it alongside the rest of the city - The Globe and Mail - April 5th, 2021
- On This Day: What happened on 28 March? - The South African - April 5th, 2021
- Friends of the DA - Knock LA - April 5th, 2021
- Why is cinema obsessed with remakes? - Spectator.co.uk - April 5th, 2021
- Christopher Lee dead at 79 Author and historian who wrote BBCs This Sceptred Isle dies of Covid - The Sun - February 17th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero