The Irishman is now on Netflix for viewers everywhere to see Martin Scorseses epic crime drama. Scorsese had to forego a traditional theatrical release when studios passed on making his latest film, although Netflix did release The Irishman in some theaters November 1. While reviews have been mostly positive, Showbiz Cheat Sheets review found The Irishman problematic. Even the greatest directors cant be perfect.
The Irishman is not Scorseses worst though. Hes had an even greater misstep, and so have most of the worlds great directors. These are some of the worst movies by some of the greatest directors. Hopefully they wont mind pointing these out since every director has a dud but few have made the beloved classics these filmmakers have.
Whatever you think of The Irishman, its definitely in Martin Scorseses wheelhouse. Its an epic crime drama covering a mafiosos life from youth to old age. Whether it works or not, its territory Scorsese knows. Musicals are not, and after making New York, New York, Scorsese never tried another musical.
On paper New York, New York looks great. Youve got Robert De Niro fresh off Taxi Driver and Broadway queen Liza Minnelli, but its all very awkward, drawn out at 155 minutes, and after all that time you wont remember any of the music.
Steven Spielberg has been perhaps the most unflappable director in Hollywood. There seems to be nothing he cant do. Hes the king of blockbuster adventure from Jaws and Indiana Jones to Jurassic Park and Ready Player One. He does serious drama too, from the Oscar-winning Schindlers List to recent true stories like The Post and Lincoln. He doesnt do straight comedy though, and this early movie may be why.
1941 had an all star cast including John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Tim Matheson, Nancy Allen, Robert Stack, Ned Beatty, Christopher Lee and more. It was a raucous comedy about panic and misadventure after Pearl Harbor and even spoofed Spielbergs own Jaws. The comic relief in Spielbergs other movies totally works, but somehow straight comedy fell flat. Maybe they were just trying too hard. He probably should have tried comedy again, but 1941 was a battle Spielberg lost.
While The Irishman director was making his musical, Francis Ford Coppolas struggle to make Apocalypse Now became legend. When the movie turns out to be Apocalypse Now, perhaps it is more acceptable to go crazy in the jungle. Less attention is ever devoted to his follow-up film, One From the Heart, which proved to be even more disastrous.
Coppola wanted to make an old school studio musical where the sets were clearly artificial. He vastly overestimated the audience for such artifice. Tom Waits did the music for it, but contributed to an overall lethargic tone. Whats most remarkable is that Coppola burned through all the profits from Apocalypse Now as One From the Heart dragged on. When he released the film it could not recoup the investment, but it is a fascinating look at his singular obsession.
The Coen Brothers have such an almost unquantifiable style thats its often easiest to just describe their movies as Coen Brothers movies. From Raising Arizona and Fargo to The Big Lebowski and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, the Coens specialize in quirky characters, even in their serious films like No Country for Old Men and A Serious Man.
Their remake of The Ladykillers collapsed under the weight of too much Coen quirk. It should have been great. Tom Hanks leads a cast of bumbling crooks (Marlon Wayans, J.K. Simmons, Ryan Hurst, Tzi Ma) thwarted by an old woman (Irma P. Hall). Theyre all trying so hard to be memorable Coen movie characters that each one becomes obnoxious and the Coens repeat jokes weve seen before.
David Fincher would say his worst movie was Alien 3. Thats the one where he was too new to persevere against studio interference and the final product does not reflect his vision. Its still a solid Alien movie though. Once he made Se7en, all David Fincher films could be pure David Fincher films, for better or worse. Usually theyre for the better, but in one case theyre worse.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a whimsical epic about a man (Brad Pitt) born old who de-ages throughout his life. Only problem is, his life, which the viewer witnesses over the course of three hours, is a total bore. Thats not quite as long as The Irishman but its still too much. The visual effects are astounding but Pitt and Cate Blanchett have nothing to do.
Now as a director, Clint Eastwoods reputation comes from Oscar-winning dramas like Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby. Even the ones that dont win awards are acclaimed like American Sniper and Gran Torino. His early directorial efforts were still exciting action movies like The Gauntlet and The Eiger Sanction.
Firefox was a fizzle though. Eastwood also starred as a pilot on a mission to steal a Russian jet that can be pilots by mind control. Sounds exciting, but its very talky and overly long at two hours, 16 minutes which moves so slowly it feels like The Irishman. Eastwood returned to Dirty Harry and westerns but its a shame Firefox couldnt be his James Bond movie.
- Slash Tells Us Why There Will Never Be a Guns N Roses Movie - MovieMaker Magazine - August 6th, 2022
- On the record for Aug. 4 - Seymour Tribune - August 6th, 2022
- Judge Talley will hear criminal docket on Thursday - Magnoliareporter - August 6th, 2022
- Dr. Christopher Reber Receives ACCT 2022 Northeast Regional Chief Executive Officer Award - The Hudson Reporter - August 6th, 2022
- Theatre Review: This 101 Dalmatians is barking up the wrong tree - The New European - August 6th, 2022
- Christopher Lee Euro Films, Dennis Hopper's 'Out of the Blue' Among Titles Due on Disc From Severin and MVD July 26 Media Play News - Media Play News - July 28th, 2022
- 25 Scariest Movies of All Time (2022 Edition) - Cultured Vultures - July 28th, 2022
- Fans Wonder Why a Fantasy Epic Too Big to Fail Did Just That - We Got This Covered - July 28th, 2022
- The Best Witch Movies of all Time, Ranked - The Mary Sue - July 28th, 2022
- NASCAR Driver Christopher Bell and CRAFTSMAN Raise Awareness for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals; No. 20 Special Edition Paint Scheme to be... - July 28th, 2022
- Singer Stefanie Sun turns 44 with cakes and loved ones - The Straits Times - July 28th, 2022
- Tony Dow dead: Wally Cleaver 'Leave It to Beaver' actor was 77 - USA TODAY - July 28th, 2022
- Roane Co. authorities looking for man convicted of neglecting and murdering an elderly relative - WBIR.com - July 20th, 2022
- 22 Incredible Facts About The Life and Career Of Sir Christopher Lee - July 20th, 2022
- Police and Fire Report - Winchester Sun - Winchester Sun - July 20th, 2022
- What We Do in the Shadows cast shares their favorite vampire movies, books, and more - Polygon - July 20th, 2022
- Courteney Cox Set To Make Horror Movie History With 'Scream 6' - We Got This Covered - July 20th, 2022
- Every James Bond Movie, Ranked: The Best of Bond - CNET - July 20th, 2022
- Grandparents of Dean Kerrie say he was just defending his mother and should not be jailed - Sunday World - July 20th, 2022
- Ray Wise Has Always Been More Than "That Guy" - Defector - July 20th, 2022
- Angela Ledgerwood on the Psychic Relief of Reading - Literary Hub - July 20th, 2022
- Athens man charged with manslaughter in fatal hit and run - News Courier - July 12th, 2022
- The Top 10 Worst Film Reboots in History - Geek Vibes Nation - July 12th, 2022
- Arrest records from the July 6, 2022 edition of the Calhoun Times - Northwest Georgia News - July 12th, 2022
- Prosecution closes case in trial of teen accused of killing Waterford fisherman - BreakingNews.ie - July 12th, 2022
- Elvin Ng jets off to New York, hopes to 'upgrade' his acting - AsiaOne - July 4th, 2022
- The Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones Scene That Scared George Lucas To Death - /Film - July 4th, 2022
- Second Sight To Release Hammer Horror Film THE MUMMY On Limited Edition Blu-Ray - HorrorCultFilms - July 4th, 2022
- Populous teams up with AV and acoustics experts to launch Experience Studios - InAVate - July 4th, 2022
- FSA scores are out: Here's how Collier and Lee schools performed on state tests - News-Press - July 4th, 2022
- Christopher Lee Now: Where is Erin Corwins Killer Today? Update - June 23rd, 2022
- Johnny Depp going back on tour with the Hollywood Vampires - New York Post - June 23rd, 2022
- 'Star Wars' Fans Debate The Best (Or Coolest) Lightsaber Stance - We Got This Covered - June 23rd, 2022
- IDC Reveals the Potential and Risks of Web 3.0 to Enterprises and Executives - IDC - June 23rd, 2022
- Property transfers 6-18-2022 - The Tribune | The Tribune - Ironton Tribune - June 23rd, 2022
- July jury lists announced | Court News | thesylvaherald.com - The Sylva Herald - June 23rd, 2022
- 3 charged as 61 animals removed from Monessen home - TribLIVE - June 23rd, 2022
- NMSP releases names of two people killed in I-25 crash - KOB 4 - June 14th, 2022
- Video showing teen girl being assaulted leads to arrest of 36-year-old man in Orange County - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - June 14th, 2022
- Stevenson heading to the Philippines with U.S. Women's National Team - GoLaurens.com - June 14th, 2022
- 5 best movies and shows on Prime Video this weekend: Fairfax and Emergency - Amazon Adviser - June 14th, 2022
- 'He disappeared': Chantalle Ng looking to reconnect with child actor she made friends with years ago - AsiaOne - June 14th, 2022
- John R. Lee - The Gloversville Leader Herald - Gloversville Leader-Herald - June 14th, 2022
- AEW: How QT Marshall repurposed The Factory without Cody Rhodes - ClutchPoints - June 14th, 2022
- 'Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi' Casting, Characters, Plot, and More - We Got This Covered - June 5th, 2022
- Christopher baseball teams season ends in CIF NorCal semis, but a return trip could be in store for 2023 season - Gilroy Dispatch - June 5th, 2022
- Weymouth High School Class of 2022 called resilient and perseverant - The Patriot Ledger - June 5th, 2022
- St. George's Class of 2022 graduates and Prize Day honors - newportri.com - June 5th, 2022
- An Article Reported in Ink - The New York Times - May 17th, 2022
- 10 Movies So Bad, They're Good - The Nerd Stash - May 17th, 2022
- FTLife champions the spirit of healthy living with HK swim team member Keith Sin - Marketing Interactive - May 17th, 2022
- Who played Doctor Who before Ncuti Gatwa? A guide to the many faces of the Time Lord - NationalWorld - May 17th, 2022
- 'Quantum Leap' stars tease new heroes, adventures to come in NBC's time-warping revival - Syfy - May 17th, 2022
- Fann Wong and Christopher Lee returned from Maldives holiday after only 1 day because she missed Zed - AsiaOne - May 4th, 2022
- 2 Men Arrested Thursday On Felony Charges - KSST - May 4th, 2022
- Star Wars Episode II: The much-maligned, Kiwi-filled Attack of the Clones turns 20 - Stuff - May 4th, 2022
- Seven UChicago scholars elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2022 - Newswise - May 4th, 2022
- Exclusive Interview with Don Bies - Boba Fett News - Boba Fett Fan Club - May 4th, 2022
- Christopher boys golf team on verge of completing its Mission title - Gilroy Dispatch - May 4th, 2022
- Deputies identify 1 of 2 killed in Redding murder-suicide investigation - Action News Now - April 21st, 2022
- Christopher Bernier accepts $255K contract to be Lee ... - April 21st, 2022
- HealthGigJobs Services and iMedicalData announce strategic partnership to drive innovation in the healthcare gig economy, empowering millions of... - April 21st, 2022
- The 11 Best Horror Anthologies to Stream - Vulture - April 21st, 2022
- Police Report | | the-messenger.com - The Messenger - April 21st, 2022
- Study: Stigma towards people living with HIV still an issue in Malaysia, 88pc do not disclose status because of this - Malay Mail - April 21st, 2022
- Poe Boy - Splice Today - April 8th, 2022
- Play 'Finding Lever - Sunlight of Congo' comes to Port Sunlight - Wirral Globe - April 8th, 2022
- Swansea riot: Eight men plead guilty to taking part in mass disturbance which shook city - Wales Online - April 8th, 2022
- The Best Christopher Lee Movies And How To Watch Them - CinemaBlend - January 23rd, 2022
- All the James Bond films in order: From Dr No to No Time To Die - Cosmopolitan UK - January 23rd, 2022
- Meat Loaf taught me it's OK to have big dreams - Salon - January 23rd, 2022
- East Liverpool man, Weirton mother indicted for murder - Morning Journal News - January 23rd, 2022
- 5 Things Tim Burton's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory Movie Does Really Well - Cinema Blend - January 23rd, 2022
- All the James Bond movies ranked, from No Time to Die back to the start - CNET - January 23rd, 2022
- Ten films about the build up to the second world war - Spectator.co.uk - January 23rd, 2022
- Critics speak: The 25 best movies about religion of all time - WNCT - January 23rd, 2022
- Live results from Day 1 of the Bergen County Wrestling Tournament - NorthJersey.com - January 23rd, 2022
- Jamie Lee Curtis Admits She Struggled With the Idea of Love After 13 Divorces Riddled Her Family - Yahoo! Voices - January 23rd, 2022
- A Year After Jan. 6, An Exhibit Tries To Unravel What Happened That Day - BuzzFeed News - January 9th, 2022
- New Year, new me: How these celebrities ushered in 2022 - Yahoo Philippines News - January 9th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero