If these vintage movie monsters were resurrected for today's audience, they could be just as terrifying, if not more so than their classic depictions.
When people think about classic movie monsters, images of characters like the Wolf Man, Count Dracula, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon are the first that come to mind.While it is true that these terrors of the silver screenare productsof a bygone age, they caused quite a few nightmares in their prime.
RELATED:Pans Labyrinth: 10 Movie Monsters Inspired By The Pale Man
With the right design, directors, and performances, certain classiccreatures could be downright chilling if given the modern treatment today. Whether they are mindless monsterscrawling in search of blood and beautiful damsels orpsychotic geniuses bent on world domination,there are plenty of vintage horror icons that can still terrifyaudiences everywhere.
The Universal monster movies might have helped shape the genre, but the Hammer horror films went all the way with their ideas.A gorgon might seem out of place in a modern horror movie or at least one in the contemporary setting,but the idea of a monster that can kill with just a look should send chills down everyone's spine.
A true Medusa movie hasn't really been seen in recent years, but whether it's in a dark fantasy flick or a modern artsy-horror masterpiece,a return would be very well received.
The Blobhas already received a remake,but the real horror is the idea of the creature itself. Audiences don't need a remake to make this monster scary, but rather a reimagining.If one Blob was terrifying enough,think of the carnage that would ensue if there were an army of them.
RELATED:10 50s Sci-Fi Movie Scenes That Are Still Terrifying Today
Imagine the possibilities of multiple blobs consuming every atom of matter in their wake. Better yet, what if they actually had a consciousness and were smarter than the gelatinous being seen in the past? The mind boggles.
Monstersdisguised as human beings will never fail to be scary. So long as there is an anxious human consciousness, there will be the fear of the unknown. It's possible, but a modern interpretation of the Body Snatchers would have to go a little bit more complex than pod people.
Maybe they aren't aliens, maybe they are something found in the horrors of inner space, maybe it's a cult or some original concoction from a brilliant writer,but whatever the new breed is,humans should be very afraid.
A reimagining of this film shouldn't be a remake, but rather a sequel. Similar to the Body Snatchers, a modern version of John Carpenter's The Thingshould alter its creature's origins. While it needs to remain an alien from another planet, landing in the arctic circle might not be the course of action.
RELATED:10 Scariest Aliens in Horror Movies
This breed of Thing should be more intelligent, able to morph into other people and possibly inorganic matter to avoid detection.Perhaps even stepping into the shoes of an elusive serial killer for a crime-thriller flavor?
Miniature monster movies are a lost art form that needs a desperate return to modern movie screens, and there needs to be a pure horror experience for those looking for something with a little more bite than Gremlins'Gizmo. Time to open up the gate once more.
These little hellions might be small, but they are pretty powerful compared to most tiny terrors of their kind. A modern adaptation or sequel needs only to update their appearance to sell the scares.Some might agreethe stop-motion puppets didn't age well, even if it is charming in a crude way.
Yet another classic monster that hasn't seen much action,The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde could very well be adapted into a gothic horror masterpiece if given the right treatment.Was someone that like Tim Burton at the helm, a grimm psychological thrillercould bring the story back with pounding applause.
RELATED:10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie
It would be easy toplay up the murder-mystery angle,but if the right script delved into the psychological aspects of theoriginal story, the results would be incredibly surreal.
Once again, the list is graced by the realm of Hammer horror with Countess Nadasy.Countess Dracula was a highly romanticized account of Elizabeth Bathory, a bloody baroness whose life could spawn a whole horror series.
The amount of potential with this character or her inspiration is practically dripping with possibilities. Whether it's a modern or historical drama adaptation, a film about the infamous Blood Queen would be an absolutely sensual, strange, and scary splatter-fest with, or without, vampirism.
Dracula's Daughteris one of the most underrated horror sequels in existence and it would be absolutely amazing to have a modern adaptation involving a reluctant descendent of the infamous Count. What makes Marya Zaleska a standout character is her reluctance and somewhat sorrowful attitude towards her vampirism.
RELATED:Classic Horror Monsters Ranked By Likability
These themes could definitely be further explored in a modern adaptation, especially if her vampiric form is impeccably monstrous or destructive. A sympathetic monster never fails to sell tickets.
Putting the sci-fi schlock-fest of This Island Earth aside, Hollywood needs to find a way to bring the Metaluna Mutant into the starring role of a space-set horror flick sometime soon. Just look at this monstrosity; it's absolutely terrifying for something out of 1955.
The modern possibilities of a Metaluna Mutant could give Alien's Xenomorph nightmares. It doesn't have to follow the original film religiously, but seeing one of these things skulking in a spaceship corridor would be positively horrific.
While Francis Ford Coppola's version was an impressive adaptation of Mary Shelley's novel, the industry has come a long way since 1994. The image of a more realistic version of the titular creature could be more grotesque than a hoard fromThe Walking Dead.
Recently,Frankensteinfilms have been a little lackluster in terms of story and reception, but an honest and faithful adaptation is certainly within the realm of possibility. Especially if someone like Guillermo Del Toro could do the creature design.
NEXT:Young Frankenstein & 9 Other Great Horror Spoofs
Next 10 Movies To Watch If Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel Intrigued You
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero