By Jessica Wedemeyer 8:47am PST, Feb 12, 2021
It's been 30 years since "The Silence of the Lambs" first opened in theaters on Valentine's Day in 1991. The psychological horror film won five Academy Awards best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay, best lead actress for Jodie Foster as FBI agent Clarice Starling and best lead actor for Anthony Hopkins as cannibalistic forensic psychiatrist Hannibal Lecter and earned another two Oscar nominations: best sound and best film editing. In honor of its big anniversary, Wonderwall.com is taking a look back at more Oscar-nominated thrillers and horror flicks. Keep reading for more award-worthy scary movies
RELATED: The best horror movie franchises of all time
Jordan Peele won the Academy Award for best original screenplay for his directorial debut, "Get Out." The 2017 thriller scored three more Oscar nominations: best picture, best director and best lead actor for Daniel Kaluuya, who starred as a Black artist who encounters unimaginable horrors while meeting his white girlfriend's wealthy family.
RELATED: Black stars who made history
The 1973 adaptation of "The Exorcist" won two Academy Awards best adapted screenplay and best sound and scored another eight Oscar nominations including best picture, best director, best cinematography, best supporting actress for Linda Blair as Regan, a young girl possessed by a demon, best supporting actor for Jason Miller as psychiatrist and priest Father Karras and best lead actress for Ellen Burstyn as Regan's mother, Chris MacNeil.
RELATED: Stars who got their start in horror movies
M. Night Shyamalan's terrifying 1999 supernatural thriller "The Sixth Sense" scored six Oscar nominations: best picture, best director, best original screenplay, best film editing, best supporting actor for Haley Joel Osment as a little boy who can see dead people and best supporting actress for Toni Collette as his worried mother.
Alfred Hitchcock scored his fifth Academy Award nomination for directing "Psycho," his 1960 horror masterpiece. The psychological thriller scored three additional Oscar nominations: best black-and-white cinematography, best black-and-white set decoration and best supporting actress for Janet Leigh as Norman Bates' victim Marion Crane.
Another Oscar-nominated Alfred Hitchcock movie? His 1963 horror film "The Birds" which sees flocks of murderous avians attacking unsuspecting citizens in Northern California scored an Oscar nomination for best visual effects.
Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi horror film "Alien" won the Academy Award for best visual effects and also earned an Oscar nomination for best set direction. Its 1986 sequel was even more lauded: "Aliens" won two Academy Awards best sound effects editing and best visual effects and earned five more Oscar nominations, including best lead actress for Sigourney Weaver as the heroine, Ripley. The third installment in the series, 1992's "Alien 3," scored just one Oscar nomination: best visual effects. The fourth installment, 1997's "Alien Resurrection," didn't receive any recognition from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but 15 years later, "Prometheus," which is set in the "Alien" universe, earned an Oscar nomination for best visual effects.
The 1976 horror film "The Omen" which centers around a young boy (Harvey Stephens) who turns out to be the Antichrist won the Academy Award for best original score and also earned an Oscar nomination for best original song for composer Jerry Goldsmith's chilling "Ave Satani" which means "Hail Satan" in English.
Steven Spielberg's 1975 shark attack thriller "Jaws" won three Academy Awards best sound, best film editing and best original score and also scored an Oscar nomination for best picture.
John Krasinski's 2018 monster movie "A Quiet Place" which centers around a family with a deaf child (Millicent Simmonds) struggling to survive after creatures with extremely heightened senses of hearing take over the planet scored one Oscar nomination: best achievement in sound editing.
Kathy Bates won the Oscar for best lead actress for her performance as psychotic nurse Annie Wilkes who tortures her favorite novelist while holding him captive in the Rob Reiner-directed 1990 adaptation of Stephen King's "Misery."
Stephen King strikes again! Sissy Spacek scored an Academy Award nomination for best lead actress for her performance as the titular bullied teen in Brian De Palma's 1976 adaptation of the supernatural thriller "Carrie." Co-star Piper Laurie, meanwhile, earned an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress for her work as Carrie's abusive mother, religious fanatic Margaret White.
Bong Joon Ho's genre-bending 2019 South Korean thriller "Parasite," which centers around a poor family that schemes to infiltrate the home of a wealthy family, won four Academy Awards best picture, best director, best original screenplay and best international film and scored another two Oscar nominations: best production design and best film editing.
Ruth Gordon won the Academy Award for best supporting actress for her performance as Minnie Castevet the Satan-worshiping neighbor of Mia Farrow's titular expectant mom in the 1968 adaptation of the novel "Rosemary's Baby." Writer-director Roman Polanski also scored an Oscar nomination for adapting the screenplay.
Tim Burton's 1999 gothic supernatural horror film "Sleepy Hollow" which sees Johnny Depp's constable Ichabod Crane investigating a possible serial killer won the Academy Award for best art direction-set direction and scored two more Oscar nominations: best cinematography and best costume design.
The 1986 David Cronenberg-directed sci-fi horror film "The Fly" centers around Jeff Goldblum's scientist Seth Brundle, who slowly transforms into a human-fly hybrid after his teleportation technology goes wrong. It won the Oscar for best makeup.
Glenn Close scored an Academy Award nomination for her performance as bunny-boiling Alex Forrest who becomes obsessed with Michael Douglas's Dan Gallagher after they have an affair in 1987's "Fatal Attraction." The psychological thriller scored five more Oscar nominations: best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay, best film editing and best supporting actress for Anne Archer as Dan's wife.
Gary Oldman portrayed the titular vampire in Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 horror film "Bram Stoker's Dracula," which won three Academy Awards best costume design, best sound effects editing and best makeup and also earned an Oscar nomination for best set decoration.
The 1972 thriller "Deliverance" which centers around four businessmen struggling to survive as they're stalked by the terrifying locals during a backwoods canoe trip scored three Oscar nominations: best picture, best director and best film editing.
The 1981 monster movie "An American Werewolf in London" centers around a New Yorker (David Naughton) who's turned into a werewolf while backpacking in England. The John Landis-directed horror-comedy won the Oscar for best makeup.
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero