For decades, the concept of the zombie has been relatively simple an undead corpse, reanimated but full of nuances depending on whos behind the story. They have been fast or slow, incurable or able to change, metaphors for the human condition or not metaphorical in the slightest.
One thing has been constant: Their presence in genre storytelling, most recently seen in Game of Thrones.
Of course, while casual fans might refer to them as ice zombies, the show doesnt call them that. In fact, theres a distinction to be made between certain classes of the super-pale folk who attack from north of the Wall.Wightsare reanimated corpses who are under the control of the White Walkers.The White Walkers (who are made from live creatures) are far more sentient thanwights, who hew far closer to the technical definition of zombies. But neither group is particularly human.
As viewers recover from the fierce battle of Beyond the Wall, and anticipation bubbles for the season finale on Sunday, its worth examining what works about how the creatures that could be the ultimate villains in Season 8.
The wights are often legitimately scary, especially when directors like Alan Taylor choose to pull back on the battle to reveal the full-on hordes descending on our heroes. Whenever Game of Thrones indulges its appetite for epic scale and scope in the arctic wastelands of the North, the results are captivating.
Their backstory is a lot more interesting than some virus. While being cavalier with the term zombie in this context, it is interesting that the mythology surrounding the White Walkers and the wights is far more dense than it appears on the surface. According to Thrones lore, both the books and the series, the White Walkers were originally protectors of the Children of the Forest, but split free thousands of years ago and nearly conquered the territory now known as Westeros.
Theyre at their scariest when theyre slow. Yes, as mentioned above, the hordes are pretty bone-chilling, but perhaps the most haunting moment of Season 7, wight-wise, was the long, lingering shot of a crowd of wights staggering through blizzard clouds. The moment played to one of the most classic zombie tropes, going back decades the fact that no matter how slow zombies move, theyre ultimately as inescapable as death itself.
Game of Thrones
Becoming a wight isnt a looming threat.Weve only ever seen someone be transformed into a wight by the actions of a White Walker, which means one of the scariest parts of zombie narratives becoming one yourself is relatively nonexistent.
Benjen Starks precarious position between worlds while technically dead, hes still technically alive thanks to a dragonglass infusion following a stab from a White Walker is an interesting wrinkle to this equation, one that could become more important than we ultimately realize. And for the record, none of this makes a wight dragon, as Viserion becomes at the end of Beyond the Wall, any less bonkers a concept. But it was quite the process to get there.
Wights dont seem all that peckish. Which is to say, the terrifying hunger that drives most versions of the undead isnt technically a factor, meaning that its relatively unclear what drives their rage.This stands out most notably while watching the swarm that ends up consuming Thoros of Myr in Beyond the Wall. It looks like a feeding frenzy, except no actual feeding is happening.
Not to make this all about Whats their motivation? but the fact is that while for the most part folks understand what drives a zombie to kill, the wights are driven by their masters, the White Walkers. Its a situation that fails to generate the same instinctual sense of fear that raging former humans driven by hunger might fail to generate.
Thats ultimately what it comes down to: Whatever you might call them, zombies have the most impact as a storytelling device when they feel truly inescapable, which is a quality Game of Thrones does not shirk from. But the show might only be improved if it emphasized just whythe wights fight, and why the White Walkers keep making more of them. As of right now, theyre just voiceless, personality-less foes, even the fearsome Night King who seems to have dominion even over the White Walkers. That might make them sound like zombies. But the thing is, traditional zombies you at least know what they want.
- Zombie Trailer Park | Addicting Games - March 8th, 2019
- Zombie Cocktail Recipe - Liquor.com - February 26th, 2019
- Zombie deer disease: Why deer with CWD are nothing like ... - February 19th, 2019
- Nazi Horror Zombie Movie Review - Zombie Picture - February 16th, 2019
- Zombie Fest Northwest Normandy Park Washington ... - February 16th, 2019
- Zombie | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie | fictional creature | Britannica.com - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Monster Girl Encyclopedia Wiki - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie royale.io - Play Zombieroyale io battle, unblocked - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | RuneScape Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombies - Investopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombi 2 (1980) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 11th, 2018
- The Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 9th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Zombie: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Al Cliver ... - August 9th, 2018
- Zombie Games - Free Online Zombie Games - July 18th, 2018
- Zombie Official Minecraft Wiki - July 3rd, 2018
- Zombie Chase Parkour POV - YouTube - June 21st, 2018
- Sightings of 'zombie' dogs prompt warnings in Chicago - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 7th, 2017
- YWCA prepares for 2nd annual zombie run - KFYR-TV - September 7th, 2017
- Langhorne Slim Releases "Zombie" off Forthcoming New Album Lost at Last Vol. 1 - Paste Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- 'Zombie' coyotes reportedly seen in suburbs, and residents warned to keep away - Chicago Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- ARZombi Is A Zombie Shooter Made Using ARKit - UploadVR - September 6th, 2017
- Should You Forgive Your Zombie Relative? Ellen Page In 'The Cured' Watch TIFF Clip - Deadline - September 6th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' are roaming the suburbs of Chicago - The Week Magazine - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Walk to benefit local charity - Bowling Green Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Run will benefit Muskogee Animal Shelter - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 6th, 2017
- New 'The Walking Dead' AR app tests your zombie battle plan - CNET - CNET - September 6th, 2017
- Watch an extreme scene from TIFF zombie film Les Affams - EW.com - September 6th, 2017
- 9th Circuit Revives Class Action Over 'Zombie' Smartphone Cookies - Courthouse News Service - September 6th, 2017
- SecureView: Assemblyman James Skoufis Hosts Demonstration to Clean Up Zombie Property Blight - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Chicago's Newest Problem Is An Invasion Of ZOMBIE DOGS - The Daily Caller - September 5th, 2017
- Daily Deal: Zombie Army Trilogy Is 80% Off On Steam - Gameranx (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie' dogs are actually infected coyotes, police warn - Atlanta Journal Constitution - September 5th, 2017
- Your daily 6: A third child for William and Kate; zombie dogs in Chicago - STLtoday.com - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' roaming near Chicago are infected coyotes, police ... - Fox News - September 3rd, 2017
- Railey: Confronting 'zombie mindsets' and a Charlottesville martyr - Winston-Salem Journal - September 3rd, 2017
- Trump Pardons Zombie Apocalypse - Indian Country Today Media Network - September 3rd, 2017
- Police warn of infected 'zombie' coyotes confused for stray dogs - KCRA Sacramento - September 2nd, 2017
- Survive An Augmented Zombie Reality In Walking Dead: Our World - Shacknews - September 2nd, 2017
- The Bentley You Need For The Zombie Apocalypse Is Finally For Sale - Jalopnik - September 1st, 2017
- Cops warn residents to avoid mange-infected coyotes labeled 'zombie dogs' - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Cops Warn of Infected 'Zombie' Coyotes Confused for Stray Dogs in ... - NBC Chicago - September 1st, 2017
- 'Zombie' drug Spice addict grabbed terrified girl, 5, outside Primark and gave her a 'bear hug' - Mirror.co.uk - September 1st, 2017
- Rome on cutting edge for dealing with zombie properties - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 31st, 2017
- The Mask Hides My Ugliness: Violence and Trauma in Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' - The Film Stage (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Syllabus: Zombie Charlotte Law (updated) - Greensboro News & Record (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Night King and Zombie Viserion are comingin Funko Pop! form - Winter Is Coming - August 31st, 2017
- Death of Spain's Zombie Lenders Sends Bank Jobs to Decade Low - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Rob Zombie's Halloween 10th anniversary: How Tyler Mane ... - EW.com - August 30th, 2017
- Call of Duty Black Ops III and Zombie Chronicles Officially Bundled Together - Twinfinite - August 30th, 2017
- Here a few of Lil Uzi Vert's favorite things: Rob Zombie, Rugrats and more - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- Zombie shooter Dead Alliance now available - Flickering Myth (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Brooklyn Decker Compares Herself to 'Zombie Taylor Swift' in 'Look What You Made Me Do' Music Video - Us Weekly - August 29th, 2017
- Call of Duty: WWII's Zombies Is Changing its Tone and That's Exactly What it Needs - Twinfinite - August 29th, 2017
- Rob Zombie on Tobe Hooper: 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Changed My Life - RollingStone.com - August 28th, 2017
- 'Zombie' translation book authored by Ashland professor - Richland Source - August 28th, 2017
- City set to file first court action against 'zombie property' - Rome Sentinel - August 28th, 2017
- Zombies, romance and revenge drive record 'Game of Thrones' ratings - Reuters - August 28th, 2017
- Video: President Trump's zombie claim of widespread voter fraud in the 2016 election - Washington Post - August 28th, 2017
- Hudson Confidential: 'Zombie' utility poles outlawed in Cornwall-on-Hudson - Times Herald-Record - August 28th, 2017
- Falls steps up its fight against 'zombie homes' - Niagara Gazette - August 28th, 2017
- City seeks help in identifying 'zombie properties' - The Recorder (subscription) - August 28th, 2017
- Zombie homes shame campaign spreads to Niagara Falls - Spectrum News - August 26th, 2017
- Zombie run scheduled at Castle of Muskogee - Tulsa World - August 26th, 2017
- 19 Years Ago: Rob Zombie Debuts His Solo Album "Hellbilly Deluxe" - WAAF.com (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- What can the Zombie Apocalypse teach us about ourselves? [Video] - OUPblog (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Like A Movie Zombie, Tax Reform Refuses To Die - Investor's Business Daily - August 25th, 2017
- Buy Your Tickets Now For 'Z is for...Zombie!' - Patch.com - August 25th, 2017
- West Milford plans law to slay 'zombie' homes - NorthJersey.com - August 24th, 2017
- Starbucks' new sushi burrito sounds like how zombie outbreaks start ... - GolfDigest.com - August 24th, 2017
- Heavy weekend rains likely when zombie storm Harvey comes to Texas - MyStatesman.com - August 24th, 2017
- Louisville Zombie Walk Attack Funeral! - Louisville Eccentric Observer - August 24th, 2017
- 'State of Decay 2' forces you to pick who becomes zombie food - Engadget - August 22nd, 2017
- The Zombie Polar Bear on Game of Thrones Was Just a Dude in a Green Suit - Esquire.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Zombie Hitler reanimates in Dead Snow 3 - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- That Zombie Polar Bear on 'Game of Thrones' Was Four Seasons in the Making - Thrillist - August 22nd, 2017
- HESCO Sponsor Zombie Invitational Shooting Competition (Multi-Video) - 22.214.171.124 (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Dead Snow 3 will feature 'Zombie-Hitler,' says director - EW.com - August 22nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero