Grunge. Wu-Tang Clan. Radiohead. Wonderwall. The music of the 90s was as exciting as it was diverse. But what does it say about the eraand why does it still matter? 60 Songs That Explain the 90s is back for 30 more episodes to try to answer those questions. Join Ringer music writer and 90s survivor Rob Harvilla as he treks through the soundtrack of his youth, one song (and embarrassing anecdote) at a time. Follow and listen for free exclusively on Spotify. In Episode 75 of 60 Songs That Explain the 90syep, you read that rightwere exploring Zombie by the Cranberries.
The Cranberries formed in Limerick, Ireland, in 1989. It started out with Noel, Mike, Fergal, and a guy named Niall singing, and the band was initially called the Cranberry Saw Us. If you write anything of any length for any publication about this band, you are apparently legally obligated to point out that that band name is dumb. Niall bails. Niall does, however, recommend a replacement: a friend of his girlfriends older sister. Dolores ORiordan is the youngest of seven kids, all boys, all brothers, except for one older sister. As Dolores will later tell Rolling Stone, My mom always had a softer spot for boys, as a lot of Irish women do. If you were a girl, youd have to sing or wear a pretty dress. But boys could just sit there and be brilliant for sitting there and being boys. It makes you that little bit more forward. Pushy. I was singing, always.
In fact, when Dolores is 5 years old shes already singing so well and so powerfully that her school principal makes her stand on a desk and sing for all the 12-year-olds; when Dolores is 7 years old, her older sister accidentally burns the family house down. Thats what you get for making me wear a dress. When Dolores is 18 years old she auditions as the new lead singer for a band that will soon mercifully be renamed the Cranberries. She gets the gig. Noel gives her a cassette tape with some instrumental tracks. Dolores takes the tape home and takes a shot at whipping up some lyrics and melodies. Heres what she comes up with.
She writes fucking Linger. Good lord. Its not exactly a deep cut, but this still might actually be my favorite Harmonizing Doloreses moment, the angelic soprano trill while the other two Doloreses enter the phrase You know Im such a fool for you into the permanent record. The steeliness of Sinad OConnor and the ethereal grace of Enya, if we wanna get all Irish about it.
The staccato melodic tap dance of You got me wrapped around your finger is quite memorable as well.
I have a weirdly vivid and specific memory of hearing Linger on the radio for the first time thats so random and mundane I dont know if its of any use to you at all, and this is me saying that in the 75th episode of this show. I was on the JV basketball team in high school despite sucking at basketball. I was the tallest kid on the team but I had no skills, no hustle, no anima. I was an oaf, right? You can picture this quite clearly even if you have no idea what I look like. I was like the ur-oaf. I shoulda just quit but I didnt want to quit because I was tall and this is what tall people do, right? How could I betray my nature? Im not outlandishly, alert-the-media tall or anything, but Im tall enough that dudes who really like sports get mad at me when they find out Im not especially athletic. Ive had dudes tell me everything they wouldve accomplished, in sports and in life in general, if they were as tall as me. Stop talking to me. How about you keep me out of it? So I come home from basketball practice, I sucked again, Im sulking in my bedroom, Im depressed, whatever, and I got my combo radio/tape deck/CD player blasting of course, and Linger is on the radio, and Im like entranced, as 15-year-old oafs are generally not entranced. The song starts slow and mellow and sorta fades in: Do not underestimate how breathtaking a moment this can be if youre not prepared for it.
And from that moment forward I just sit down on my bed and shut my yap and listen. Linger did not compel me to quit the team or stay on the team and hustle more. In fact I stayed on the team and just kept sucking. Linger didnt inspire me to do anything in any concrete sense. It just made me feel better. Like much better. For no tangible or logical reason. I am eternally grateful to this song for that moment. I dont know if any song Ive ever heard on the radio in any other situation has ever changed my moodand de facto improved my moodas instantly and radically as Linger did. Thats the memory. I made 10 out of 11 free throws in what turned out to be my last year on the basketball team. Thats a real stat. Thats a 91 percent free throw percentage, if you round up.
I dont want to go overboard in framing the Cranberries as dude-bro counterprogramming right here in 1993 and 94. Its true that were in the Golden Age of grunge or alt-rock or whatever: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, et cetera are all at or near their commercial if not spiritual peaks, in this moment. U2 are also still in God Mode at this point. Theyre Irish as well. But Im looking at Billboards year-end Hot 100 for 1994 and Linger is at no. 49, right above Becks Loser. But this year-end list, we got Sheryl Crow, we got 10,000 Maniacs, we got Melissa Etheridge a couple of times, we got Lisa Loeb: Stay (I Missed You) was the sixth-biggest song of 1994. We also, by the way, have none of the dudely rock bands I just mentioned, in the year-end 1994 Hot 100. No Green Day, no Nirvana. If anything, the dude-bros are the counterprogramming. But nobody is jangling more immaculately, or with more mood-improving muscle behind it, than the Cranberries.
This song is called Sunday. If you personally have never gone through a Smiths phase, this song will instantly trigger your Smiths phase and its not even by the Smiths of course. Look out for the Harmonizing Doloreses on the second mystify here.
Arrrrgh. All right. I was oddly saddened recently when I read that Dolores ORiordan, of the Cranberries, and Shirley Manson, of the excellent rock band Garbage, never met, according to Shirley. Never met in real life. Another thing I am guessing you already know about Dolores ORiordan is that she died in 2018, in a bathtub in a London hotel room, after what was officially ruled an accidental drowning after heavy drinking. She was 46. Generally on this show I dont like waiting around to address a shocking tragic death like this; generally on this show, when I remember to, I describe everything and everyone in the present tense, even when Im talking about stuff thats happening in like, 1993. These two impulses of mine are related, I think.
But so The Huffington Post is interviewing Shirley Manson about a month after Dolores dies, and Shirley says, I didnt know her, and I never had the pleasure of meeting her, but we were always like ships passing in the night: We were often on the same bills or at the same festival but on different nights. I know we shared a lot of our fans who loved both bands. When Linger was at the height of its popularity, we were making our first record, so I have very strong memories of her, and I loved her voice. I think what hit me the most when I heard the news about her passing was that it really shook me because I thought, Oh, theyre coming for my generation now. This is it. When Bowie died, I was really shaken by that too, because he was the first male rock star that I fell in love with or that I was ever really obsessed with and who had a big influence on my music and my style. So it was a big loss for me when he left, and I remember when he died I thought, Our generation is next. But when Dolores died, I thought, I was right. Here we go. Its frightening, you know?
Our generation is next is pretty objectively the most upsetting part of what Shirley says there, but I had a brief but quite a heavy feeling of loss, reading that shed never met Dolores, I guess because I just assumed they were best friends. Theres a geographical silliness to my assumption there: Shirley is Scottish, Dolores is Irish, dont all Scottish people know all Irish people and vice versa? But for whatever reason it really bummed me out that they never met, that they never commiserated, that they never laughed together at all the doofuses calling them badasses, that they never did a duet or a karaoke night or a Boygenius-esque side project. I did enjoy the thought of Garbage, in the studio, making that rad first self-titled Garbage record that came out in 95, and Shirleys hearing Dolores singing Linger on the radio all the time, and deriving some amount of subconscious strength from it. Another thing that made me feel better for no good reason was just imagining Dolores singing Garbage songs. Dolores ORiordan singing Only Happy When It Rains.
Just the two of them on some towering festival stage together, and Dolores is doing the backing vocals there, Pour your misery down. Part of why its so easy, and so tempting to imagine Dolores ORiordan singing Garbage songs is that even on this first Cranberries record, even with very much a pristine and autumnal Smiths-ian core, you can imagine her singing anything, and taking this band anywhere, and growing in power as her voice grows in ferocity. This song is called Not Sorry and you oughta be relieved that its almost definitely not about you.
To hear the full episode click here, and be sure to follow on Spotify and check back every Wednesday for new episodes on the most important songs of the decade. This excerpt has been lightly edited for clarity and length.
See the original post here:
60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer
- Killing 'Zombie' Cells Emerges As Key to Reversing Covid-Induced Brain Aging - NDTV - November 25th, 2023
- Dave the Diver Dev Shows Off New Zombie Game - GameRant - November 25th, 2023
- 8 Best Zombie Films and Series on Netflix - Men's Journal - November 25th, 2023
- Rockstar once planned a zombie island survival game using GTA ... - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 25th, 2023
- 8 Best Zombie Films and Series on Netflix - Yahoo Life - November 25th, 2023
- The bloodiest zombie game of the year is going for half price this ... - Gamesradar - November 25th, 2023
- What a "zombie building" is and how to breathe new life into one ... - HOTELS - November 25th, 2023
- Proton packs and zombie bumper cars? Wonderverse in Oakbrook ... - Daily Herald - November 25th, 2023
- Zombie trees could be taking over your yard - NBC2 News - November 16th, 2023
- A "zombie" invasion will hit fintech and venture capital in 2025 - eFinancialCareers - November 16th, 2023
- Opinion: A zombie virus is spreading at A&M - Texas A&M The Battalion - November 16th, 2023
- Zombie knives and drugs seized as two men 'acting suspiciously ... - Yahoo News UK - November 16th, 2023
- Ofgem plans to cut wind and solar delays by stripping out zombie projects - The Guardian - November 16th, 2023
- Zombie Star Flashes Bright As A Supernova In Never-Before-Seen ... - IFLScience - November 16th, 2023
- 'I'm here for that!': Scarlett Johansson wants to play zombie version ... - Waco Tribune-Herald - November 16th, 2023
- Overwatch 2 finally releases Zombie Mercy skin and theres a cheap ... - Dexerto - November 16th, 2023
- Brain-Eating Zombie Apocalypse Overtakes Government And Media - The Daily Wire - November 16th, 2023
- Two illegal zombie knives and drugs seized thanks to officers who ... - Northumbria Police - November 16th, 2023
- Halloween advice: Prepare for the zombie apocalypse - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie firms are filing for bankruptcy as the Fed commits to higher rates - CNBC - November 2nd, 2023
- How to Fight Off 'Zombie Trees' on Your Property - NAR.realtor - November 2nd, 2023
- How the Fed fights zombie firms - CNBC - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie Foreclosures Are Still Very Much a Thing - DSNews.com - November 2nd, 2023
- War of the Zombie-Makers - Alameda Post - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie Hunting | News, Sports, Jobs - The Journal - NUjournal - November 2nd, 2023
- Who killed Mozi? Finally putting the IoT zombie botnet in its grave - We Live Security - November 2nd, 2023
- The zombie that's eating politics comes to King County - The Seattle Times - November 2nd, 2023
- Don't be a zombie when it comes to energy savings this Halloween ... - PR Newswire - November 2nd, 2023
- The annual Knoxville Zombie Walk 2023 presented by Screamville ... - Knoxville News Sentinel - November 2nd, 2023
- ZOMBIE TYCOON 2745-0097-9539 by juicysplash - TrackerFortnite - Fortnite News, Updates and Guides - November 2nd, 2023
- 5 times Star Wars turned into a zombie horror movie - Dork Side of the Force - November 2nd, 2023
- Funny Trailer For The Zombie Comedy AS WE KNOW IT ... - GeekTyrant - November 2nd, 2023
- Tune in Tonight: Family secrets, Boris Johnson and a zombie Xmas ... - The Republic - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie Invasion SLO returns after a three-year hiatus - KSBY News - November 2nd, 2023
- The makeup artist behind Kaplans first-ever zombie-themed WalkerFest - KLFY - November 2nd, 2023
- Shaun of the Dead's First Zombie's Surprisingly Practical Effects ... - Screen Rant - November 2nd, 2023
- Gizmodo Monday Puzzle: Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? - Gizmodo - November 2nd, 2023
- Theater review: Blank Canvas Theatre's 'Zombie Prom' is fun with a ... - chagrinvalleytoday.com - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie: The Story Behind The Cranberries Deathless Classic - October 16th, 2023
- 'Zombie Plane' - Chuck Norris and Vanilla Ice Playing Themselves in Upcoming Zombie Action Movie - Bloody Disgusting - October 16th, 2023
- Is Birkenstock the anti-zombie brand? - Fast Company - October 16th, 2023
- Ancient 'zombie' viruses frozen in permafrost for 50,000 years are thawing due to climate change - and could h - Daily Mail - October 16th, 2023
- Zombie: Why Ireland's Rugby World Cup anthem is causing controversy - The Independent - October 16th, 2023
- Annual Lawrence Zombie Walk to bring on the undead - The Lawrence Times - October 16th, 2023
- Is Birkenstock the Anti-Zombie Brand? | Inc.com - Inc. - October 16th, 2023
- BAD dives to stop zombie apocalypse in Bolton! - Divernet - October 16th, 2023
- 10 Unconventional Zombie Movies You Should Watch This Halloween - MovieWeb - October 16th, 2023
- The 2023 SBC Zombie Walk: Zom-Beatz! - Shreveport Times - October 16th, 2023
- Zombie movie shot in the Heartland out on digital - KFVS - October 16th, 2023
- Behind the Mask: An inside look at Zombie Farms - Red and Black - October 16th, 2023
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: New Zombie Mode and Multiplayer ... - Game Is Hard - October 16th, 2023
- Local Filmmaker debuts his Decade of the Dead, zombie film at the ... - KITV Honolulu - October 16th, 2023
- Southwark Is The Worst London Borough To Be In During A Zombie ... - Time Out London - October 16th, 2023
- Saint Mary's alum teaches class on zombie makeup // The Observer - Observer Online - October 16th, 2023
- Shoppers Over 40 Are Stocking Up on This Zombie Facial Mask That Helps Every Skin Issue So Well Still on Sale Post-Prime Day - Yahoo Life - October 16th, 2023
- 10 Forgotten Zombie Movies to Check Out This Spooky Season - MovieWeb - October 16th, 2023
- Boise Bench comes alive with zombie dolls for 8th annual haunted backyard event - Idaho News - October 16th, 2023
- Dead Island 2 trades zombie fiction for the everyday reality of Silicon ... - PC Gamer - October 16th, 2023
- John 5 says he hasn't spoken to Rob Zombie since leaving his band to join Motley Crue - Metal Edge - May 13th, 2023
- Could Zombie-Ant Fungus Really Be The Last of Us?' NYC Expert Weighs In - NBC New York - April 27th, 2023
- Dead Island 2 review: an RPG as mindless as its zombies - Polygon - April 19th, 2023
- Top 5 cases of zombies from the real world - Medical News Today - April 8th, 2023
- Edmonton is where you want to be when the zombie apocalypse comes, study finds - National Post - March 23rd, 2023
- John Hennigan on Zombie Lumberjack Match: Damian Priests Reaction and Getting Ribbed By A Zombie - Fightful - March 6th, 2023
- The 30 Essential Zombie Movies to Watch - Rotten Tomatoes - February 18th, 2023
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero