Grunge. Wu-Tang Clan. Radiohead. Wonderwall. The music of the 90s was as exciting as it was diverse. But what does it say about the eraand why does it still matter? 60 Songs That Explain the 90s is back for 30 more episodes to try to answer those questions. Join Ringer music writer and 90s survivor Rob Harvilla as he treks through the soundtrack of his youth, one song (and embarrassing anecdote) at a time. Follow and listen for free exclusively on Spotify. In Episode 75 of 60 Songs That Explain the 90syep, you read that rightwere exploring Zombie by the Cranberries.
The Cranberries formed in Limerick, Ireland, in 1989. It started out with Noel, Mike, Fergal, and a guy named Niall singing, and the band was initially called the Cranberry Saw Us. If you write anything of any length for any publication about this band, you are apparently legally obligated to point out that that band name is dumb. Niall bails. Niall does, however, recommend a replacement: a friend of his girlfriends older sister. Dolores ORiordan is the youngest of seven kids, all boys, all brothers, except for one older sister. As Dolores will later tell Rolling Stone, My mom always had a softer spot for boys, as a lot of Irish women do. If you were a girl, youd have to sing or wear a pretty dress. But boys could just sit there and be brilliant for sitting there and being boys. It makes you that little bit more forward. Pushy. I was singing, always.
In fact, when Dolores is 5 years old shes already singing so well and so powerfully that her school principal makes her stand on a desk and sing for all the 12-year-olds; when Dolores is 7 years old, her older sister accidentally burns the family house down. Thats what you get for making me wear a dress. When Dolores is 18 years old she auditions as the new lead singer for a band that will soon mercifully be renamed the Cranberries. She gets the gig. Noel gives her a cassette tape with some instrumental tracks. Dolores takes the tape home and takes a shot at whipping up some lyrics and melodies. Heres what she comes up with.
She writes fucking Linger. Good lord. Its not exactly a deep cut, but this still might actually be my favorite Harmonizing Doloreses moment, the angelic soprano trill while the other two Doloreses enter the phrase You know Im such a fool for you into the permanent record. The steeliness of Sinad OConnor and the ethereal grace of Enya, if we wanna get all Irish about it.
The staccato melodic tap dance of You got me wrapped around your finger is quite memorable as well.
I have a weirdly vivid and specific memory of hearing Linger on the radio for the first time thats so random and mundane I dont know if its of any use to you at all, and this is me saying that in the 75th episode of this show. I was on the JV basketball team in high school despite sucking at basketball. I was the tallest kid on the team but I had no skills, no hustle, no anima. I was an oaf, right? You can picture this quite clearly even if you have no idea what I look like. I was like the ur-oaf. I shoulda just quit but I didnt want to quit because I was tall and this is what tall people do, right? How could I betray my nature? Im not outlandishly, alert-the-media tall or anything, but Im tall enough that dudes who really like sports get mad at me when they find out Im not especially athletic. Ive had dudes tell me everything they wouldve accomplished, in sports and in life in general, if they were as tall as me. Stop talking to me. How about you keep me out of it? So I come home from basketball practice, I sucked again, Im sulking in my bedroom, Im depressed, whatever, and I got my combo radio/tape deck/CD player blasting of course, and Linger is on the radio, and Im like entranced, as 15-year-old oafs are generally not entranced. The song starts slow and mellow and sorta fades in: Do not underestimate how breathtaking a moment this can be if youre not prepared for it.
And from that moment forward I just sit down on my bed and shut my yap and listen. Linger did not compel me to quit the team or stay on the team and hustle more. In fact I stayed on the team and just kept sucking. Linger didnt inspire me to do anything in any concrete sense. It just made me feel better. Like much better. For no tangible or logical reason. I am eternally grateful to this song for that moment. I dont know if any song Ive ever heard on the radio in any other situation has ever changed my moodand de facto improved my moodas instantly and radically as Linger did. Thats the memory. I made 10 out of 11 free throws in what turned out to be my last year on the basketball team. Thats a real stat. Thats a 91 percent free throw percentage, if you round up.
I dont want to go overboard in framing the Cranberries as dude-bro counterprogramming right here in 1993 and 94. Its true that were in the Golden Age of grunge or alt-rock or whatever: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, et cetera are all at or near their commercial if not spiritual peaks, in this moment. U2 are also still in God Mode at this point. Theyre Irish as well. But Im looking at Billboards year-end Hot 100 for 1994 and Linger is at no. 49, right above Becks Loser. But this year-end list, we got Sheryl Crow, we got 10,000 Maniacs, we got Melissa Etheridge a couple of times, we got Lisa Loeb: Stay (I Missed You) was the sixth-biggest song of 1994. We also, by the way, have none of the dudely rock bands I just mentioned, in the year-end 1994 Hot 100. No Green Day, no Nirvana. If anything, the dude-bros are the counterprogramming. But nobody is jangling more immaculately, or with more mood-improving muscle behind it, than the Cranberries.
This song is called Sunday. If you personally have never gone through a Smiths phase, this song will instantly trigger your Smiths phase and its not even by the Smiths of course. Look out for the Harmonizing Doloreses on the second mystify here.
Arrrrgh. All right. I was oddly saddened recently when I read that Dolores ORiordan, of the Cranberries, and Shirley Manson, of the excellent rock band Garbage, never met, according to Shirley. Never met in real life. Another thing I am guessing you already know about Dolores ORiordan is that she died in 2018, in a bathtub in a London hotel room, after what was officially ruled an accidental drowning after heavy drinking. She was 46. Generally on this show I dont like waiting around to address a shocking tragic death like this; generally on this show, when I remember to, I describe everything and everyone in the present tense, even when Im talking about stuff thats happening in like, 1993. These two impulses of mine are related, I think.
But so The Huffington Post is interviewing Shirley Manson about a month after Dolores dies, and Shirley says, I didnt know her, and I never had the pleasure of meeting her, but we were always like ships passing in the night: We were often on the same bills or at the same festival but on different nights. I know we shared a lot of our fans who loved both bands. When Linger was at the height of its popularity, we were making our first record, so I have very strong memories of her, and I loved her voice. I think what hit me the most when I heard the news about her passing was that it really shook me because I thought, Oh, theyre coming for my generation now. This is it. When Bowie died, I was really shaken by that too, because he was the first male rock star that I fell in love with or that I was ever really obsessed with and who had a big influence on my music and my style. So it was a big loss for me when he left, and I remember when he died I thought, Our generation is next. But when Dolores died, I thought, I was right. Here we go. Its frightening, you know?
Our generation is next is pretty objectively the most upsetting part of what Shirley says there, but I had a brief but quite a heavy feeling of loss, reading that shed never met Dolores, I guess because I just assumed they were best friends. Theres a geographical silliness to my assumption there: Shirley is Scottish, Dolores is Irish, dont all Scottish people know all Irish people and vice versa? But for whatever reason it really bummed me out that they never met, that they never commiserated, that they never laughed together at all the doofuses calling them badasses, that they never did a duet or a karaoke night or a Boygenius-esque side project. I did enjoy the thought of Garbage, in the studio, making that rad first self-titled Garbage record that came out in 95, and Shirleys hearing Dolores singing Linger on the radio all the time, and deriving some amount of subconscious strength from it. Another thing that made me feel better for no good reason was just imagining Dolores singing Garbage songs. Dolores ORiordan singing Only Happy When It Rains.
Just the two of them on some towering festival stage together, and Dolores is doing the backing vocals there, Pour your misery down. Part of why its so easy, and so tempting to imagine Dolores ORiordan singing Garbage songs is that even on this first Cranberries record, even with very much a pristine and autumnal Smiths-ian core, you can imagine her singing anything, and taking this band anywhere, and growing in power as her voice grows in ferocity. This song is called Not Sorry and you oughta be relieved that its almost definitely not about you.
To hear the full episode click here, and be sure to follow on Spotify and check back every Wednesday for new episodes on the most important songs of the decade. This excerpt has been lightly edited for clarity and length.
See the original post here:
60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer
- John 5 says he hasn't spoken to Rob Zombie since leaving his band to join Motley Crue - Metal Edge - May 13th, 2023
- Could Zombie-Ant Fungus Really Be The Last of Us?' NYC Expert Weighs In - NBC New York - April 27th, 2023
- Dead Island 2 review: an RPG as mindless as its zombies - Polygon - April 19th, 2023
- Top 5 cases of zombies from the real world - Medical News Today - April 8th, 2023
- Edmonton is where you want to be when the zombie apocalypse comes, study finds - National Post - March 23rd, 2023
- John Hennigan on Zombie Lumberjack Match: Damian Priests Reaction and Getting Ribbed By A Zombie - Fightful - March 6th, 2023
- The 30 Essential Zombie Movies to Watch - Rotten Tomatoes - February 18th, 2023
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
- Terrifying Rabid Zombie Coyote Attempts To Kick In Glass Window Of Someone's Home - Whiskey Riff - October 11th, 2022
- How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads - POLITICO - September 24th, 2022
- Get ready for the zombie apocalypse | UNC-Chapel Hill - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - September 24th, 2022
- 'An Army of Zombies Is Leading Us to Hell': A Russian Who Fled Putin's Draft Speaks Out - The Atlantic - September 24th, 2022
- Geneva High School theater to show '10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse!' - Daily Herald - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie Wasp Pictured After Parasitic Fungi Took Over Its Body - Newsweek - September 24th, 2022
- An Malnourished Zombie Horror Tears Strips off the Streaming Ranks - We Got This Covered - September 24th, 2022
- You Can Get A Whole Daycare Of Zombie Babies Just In Time For Halloween - Totally The Bomb - September 24th, 2022
- Halloween invasion of Newquay by zombies will thrill and scare you - Cornwall Live - September 24th, 2022
- Chucky To Become A Zombie? - Giant Freakin Robot - September 24th, 2022
- TGS 2022: Hands-On with KEMCO's Upcoming Horror RPG 'Zombie of the Dot' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - September 24th, 2022
- 'The Munsters': Rob Zombie on Giving Fans the Prequel They've Been Waiting For - Blue Mountain Eagle - September 24th, 2022
- Covers Uncovered - Nick Percival's Zombie Dredd Takes The Throne For Megazine 448 | 2000 AD - 2000 AD - September 24th, 2022
- The Walking Dead's New Smart Zombies Are Rooted in the Show's First Episodes - ComicBook.com - September 24th, 2022
- Robots, NatCons, and the Zombie Apocalypse - The Bulwark - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie horror-comedy The Loneliest Boy in the World gets a trailer and poster - Flickering Myth - September 24th, 2022
- The story of how Zombie Nation became a Welsh techno anthem - Nation.Cymru - September 24th, 2022
- Visiting This Secluded Zombie Town In Texas Is One You Will Enjoy - klaq.com - September 24th, 2022
- Most bizarre September 24 Doomsday conspiracy theories from aliens & zombies to WWIII after eerie solar... - The US Sun - September 24th, 2022
- Do you have 'zombie trees' in your yard? Here's how to spot them - Fox Weather - September 16th, 2022
- A Zombie Idea: Saving Agricultural Water Through Technology - The Paper. - September 16th, 2022
- The Beatles' 'Helter Skelter': Why Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson Covered the Song Together - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 16th, 2022
- Drop Dead: The Cabin CoD: Zombies Meets Stranger Things - UploadVR - September 16th, 2022
- Sitges Fanpitch Sets The Hour of the Sorcerer, Zombie Meteor, Bloody Mary (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - September 16th, 2022
- Collected Is This A Zombie? Blu-ray Released Monday - Anime News Network - September 16th, 2022
- Dreamy popsicle cocktails are having a moment in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - September 16th, 2022
- The Office's Dunder Mifflin is Recreated in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake - Esquire - September 16th, 2022
- Pedro Snchez only lacks the zombies, but what would they be like? - Gearrice - September 16th, 2022
- The Asbury Park Zombie Walk 2022 is here! - 94.5 PST - September 8th, 2022
- Glaciers and "zombie ice": The planet is melting at both ends, research finds - Salon - September 8th, 2022
- Zombies are coming - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - September 8th, 2022
- Commentary: September is the time to prepare for the 'zombie apocalypse' - Standard-Examiner - September 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Games to Survive in this September 2022 - ClutchPoints - September 8th, 2022
- No zombie zone: Forest Service orders removal of reported film set in Green Canyon that went too far - The Herald Journal - September 8th, 2022
- Everyone loves a good zombie, apparently | What the Heckle? - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2022
- 'Sins of Our Mother': Lori Vallow Claimed Her Children Had Turned Into 'Zombies' Before Their Disappearance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 8th, 2022
- Zoinks! The 10 Best 'Scooby-Doo' Films, From 'Monsters Unleashed' to 'Zombie Island' - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- 13 Great Funny Movies About Vampires, Zombies, And Other Classic Monsters - CinemaBlend - September 8th, 2022
- The Munsters: This Rock Legend Is Making An Unexpected Cameo in Rob Zombies Prequel - Dread Central - September 8th, 2022
- Light House Studio's Youth Film Festival covers everything from A to zombies - The Daily Progress - September 8th, 2022
- The Greatest Zombie Movie Of All Time Is Streaming For Free - Giant Freakin Robot - August 22nd, 2022
- TV, Interrupted: Post-Zombie Apocalypse Series In The Flesh Was Buried Too Soon - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Tales of the Walking Dead' Season One, Episode Two Recap - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Zombie fungus' bursts out of a dead fly in contest-winning photo - Livescience.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Sally Phillips: How would I survive a zombie attack? Get another puppy - The Guardian - August 22nd, 2022
- Apocalypse arrives for the 'zombie' companies haunting UK growth - The Telegraph - August 22nd, 2022
- Did Congress just warn of a zombie attack? No, that video is fake, and satirical - PolitiFact - August 22nd, 2022
- 10 years ago, one incredible zombie movie redefined an entire style of film - Inverse - August 22nd, 2022
- ZOMBIE PROPERTY COUNT INCHES UP AGAIN IN THIRD QUARTER OF 2022 ACROSS U.S. AMID CONTINUED RISE IN FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY - PR Newswire - August 22nd, 2022
- I wore a metaverse suit into a terrifying Zombie VR world Im still haunted by it... - The US Sun - August 22nd, 2022
- Dungeon Munchies is an RPG platformer where you're a zombie, and worse, an unpaid intern - PC Gamer - August 22nd, 2022
- Insiders tell of 'zombie government' as Johnson lives it up in Greece on holiday - The National - August 22nd, 2022
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero