Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, argues a $6 trillion spending package would 'really hurt' the economy and working families across America.
Democrats are unapologetic about their plans to significantly increase taxes on what they loosely define as "wealth." Senators Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., Cory Booker, D-N.J., Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., Sheldon Whitehouse D-R.I., and Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., have proposed such a tax and President Biden is including it in his American Families Plan to help cover the whopping $1.8 trillion price tag. Deceptively named the Sensible Taxation and Equity Promotion(STEP) Act, it is more aptly known as the "Zombie Tax."
Thats because it comes back to haunt the living who attempt to carry on family businesses following the owners death.
Currently, when family members inherit a business the law steps up the assets cost basis to its value at the time of the owners death. When the heirs sell the asset, the step up limits the gain subject to tax to any increase in value subsequent to the owners death.
BIPARTISAN INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN IS THE TROJAN HORSE FOR MASSIVE TAX INCREASES: MARC SHORT
This step up in basis is a recognition that the decedents assets above the current estate tax exemption (currently $11.7 million) were subject to a 40% estate tax before passing to the heirs.
The Zombie Tax would upend this balanced approach.
Wealth Consulting Group CEO Jimmy Lee and WSJ assistant editorial page editor James Freeman discuss market movement in anticipation of tax hikes.
Lets say the decedent owned a business. The Zombie Tax would both eliminate the step up in basis and impose a capital gains tax (currently 23.8%) as if the business were sold on the day the owner died. It would then reduce the businesss value by the amount of the tax and apply the 40% estate tax.
At the current federal capital gains and estate tax rates, the combined tax would be about 54%, or over half of the decedents estate. But Biden want to increase the capital gains tax rate to 43.4%. At that rate, the combined tax would be over 66%, or a whopping two-thirds of the decedents estate. Keep in mind this is all before any state capital gains or estate tax hits.
SENATE VOTES AGAINST GOP RESOLUTION REQUIRING ANALYSIS ON HOW ALL SPENDING, TAX BILLS WILL IMPACT INFLATION
The estate would need to raise funds to pay these taxes at the time of death and the heirs would additionally have to pay the capital gains tax over the next 15 years. This would likely saddle the business with a burdensome debt assuming it could get a loan on reasonable terms with a 15 year cash flow reducing capital gains tax obligation on its books. Otherwise, the estate would have to sell the business to pay the taxes.
Goodbye family business.
The Zombie Taxs primary fault is its failure to recognize the nature of wealth. Anyone with a mortgage has heard the old adage of being "house rich and cash poor."
The same applies to asset-reliant businesses and farm households think buildings, land, inventory, heavy equipment, etc. but by multiple orders of magnitude. Many of these family enterprises operate on razor thin profit margins and seasonal income cycles, meaning they are often asset rich and cash flow poor.
THE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION IS WAGING A WAR ON SMALL BUSINESS AND THEY ARE ON TRACK TO WIN
Weve all met countless business owners, often made up of entire families, who scrapped and saved to achieve their piece of the American Dream. Theyve taken huge risks, worked seven day weeks, and paid significant taxes all along the way creating jobs and supporting their communities.
These are not the hedge fund managers in the Hamptons or unemployable rich kids running vanity boutiques but rather diverse men and women of all races, nationalities, faiths and economic backgrounds who have worked to build businesses in the hopes of leaving them to their families to continue on and grow.
GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE
The Zombie Tax would compel many of these asset intensive family businesses to sell under pressure impacting not just heirs and family members, but also the jobs of longtime employees from factory workers and mid-level managers to ranch hands and research scientists. Ironically, it would also create opportunities for the same wealthy speculators proponents cite as the need for wealth taxes to scoop up these businesses at fire sale prices.
Absent leaving the law or adopting a rational solution, the personal and economic costs of this tax would be tremendous. A report prepared by the research firm REMI and commissioned by Committee to Unleash Prosperity found that the Zombie tax would result in the following:
*Sustained annual job losses ranging from over 500,000 to almost 1 million;
*10-year losses in economic output and GDP of about $2 trillion and $1 trillion, respectively, with a $600 billion loss in private investment, and a $6 billion loss in R&D spending; and,
*A 10-year loss in personal income of about $1 trillion, which translates to $8,000 10,000 per household.
Small wonder that all 50 Republican senators in Congress recently sent a letter to President Biden opposing the Zombie Tax.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ON FOX BUSINESS
Moderate Democrats in Congress should look very closely at imposing government mandated asset fire sales and upending decades of foundational tax principles that allow family-owned and private businesses to exist long after an owners death.
The long-term economic and societal benefits of doing so are far greater than any immediate cash grab that ill-advised revenue measures like the Zombie Tax or other wealth taxes could ever provide.
This Zombie Tax scheme is so counterproductive one wonders whether the Democrats goal is more about punishing success than either tax fairness or increased revenue.
Andy Puzder was chiefexecutive officer ofCKE Restaurantsfor more than 16 years, following acareer as an attorney. He is currently a Senior Fellow at thePepperdine University School of Public Policy. He was nominated by President Trump to serve as U.S.labor secretary. In 2018, Puzder authored "The Capitalist Comeback: The Trump Boom and the Left's Plot to Stop It" (Center Street). His latest piece, a Broadside by Encounter Books titled,"Its Time to Let America Work Again" was released on July 20, 2020.
- Lauren Boebert talks monkeypox and "zombie Reagan" on BlazeTV - Salon - August 6th, 2022
- The Zombie of Recession Died Today - TheStranger.com - August 6th, 2022
- Nonstop Action Drives Korean Zombie Thriller Carter to Badass Heights - Paste Magazine - August 6th, 2022
- LifeAfter: Sea of Zombie launches next week, taking players on a new adventure in search of the Pureland - Pocket Gamer - August 6th, 2022
- As We Know It: Everything We Know So Far About The Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse Movie - /Film - August 6th, 2022
- Steve Vai reveals the pedals he couldn't live without, zombie apocalypse or no zombie apocalypse - MusicRadar - August 6th, 2022
- REVIEW: Rob Zombie Invades Camden with The Freaks On Parade Tour - wmmr.com - August 6th, 2022
- Mobile laser tag (and zombies) is coming to Hattiesburg - HubcitySPOKES.com - August 6th, 2022
- Pam Grier, 30 Rocks Chris Parnell and Project X Star Oliver Cooper to Lead Zombie Apocalypse Movie As We Know It (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - August 6th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Jumps 35 Years Into the Future - Post Apocalyptic Media - August 6th, 2022
- This gay-hating GOP nominee once worked for Rosie O'Donnell and starred in a zombie golden shower film - Queerty - August 6th, 2022
- Walking Dead Isle of the Dead Filming Holmdel East Rutherford NJ - 943thepoint.com - August 6th, 2022
- Crowd of teens and man 'arrested with knife' moments boy, 15, stabbed to death - My London - August 6th, 2022
- Hear 2 Tracks From Rob Zombie's 'Munsters' Soundtrack Right Now - Loudwire - July 28th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Revisits Zombie Outbreak in Atlanta 2010 - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2022
- Warzone zombies rise again in season four update - PCGamesN - July 28th, 2022
- This Horrifying Zombie Fungus Forces Males to Mate With The Dead. Now We Know How - ScienceAlert - July 28th, 2022
- When is Rob Zombies The Munsters coming to Netflix? - 1428 Elm - July 28th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Bosses Explain the Return of the "Smart Zombie" Twist in Final Season Trailer - FanFest News - July 28th, 2022
- My Turn: How to be angry at zombie politicians - The Recorder - July 28th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse Free Online - EpicStream - July 28th, 2022
- Call of Duty: Vanguard's zombie mode is free this week - For The Win - July 20th, 2022
- Rob Zombie's Munsters Movie Hits Netflix This September - GameSpot - July 20th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4 Update 1.48 Out This July 19 (Update) - MP1st - July 20th, 2022
- Zombie fungus draws in flies to mate with the dead - ZME Science - July 20th, 2022
- Syracuses Run of the Dead canceled after 10 years; zombie walk still staggering on - syracuse.com - July 20th, 2022
- Cells become zombies when the ends of their chromosomes are damaged a tactic both helpful and harmful for health - The Conversation Indonesia - July 20th, 2022
- This Scottish stadium hamburger is a zombie on a bun - SB Nation - July 20th, 2022
- Who is the voice of the alien Mothership in Zombies 3? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - July 20th, 2022
- 'ZOMBIES: The Re-Animated Series': How to Watch, Cast, More - J-14 - July 20th, 2022
- Rob Zombie's Reboot of The Munsters to Debut on Netflix This Fall - Ghost Cult Magazine - July 20th, 2022
- Build Back Better Gets the Zombie Treatment - The Dispatch - July 12th, 2022
- 'Valley Of The Dead' Ending, Explained: Does Jan Lozano Save The World From A Zombie Takeover? | DMT - DMT - July 12th, 2022
- Disney World, Disneyland Welcome a Zombie Invasion - TheStreet - July 12th, 2022
- Of RINOs, DINOs and the zombie ant apocalypse - The Hill - July 12th, 2022
- Zombie practice: The mistake youre making thats hurting your game - Golf.com - July 12th, 2022
- Killing Floor 2 is still one of the most satisfying zombie shooters, and it's free on the Epic Games Store - VG247 - July 12th, 2022
- WARGASM Take on the Elite in Zombie-Themed "Fukstar" Music Video - Bloody Disgusting - July 12th, 2022
- Uber Pool Is a Zombie - The Atlantic - July 12th, 2022
- History of Zombies - Origins, Pop Culture & Film - HISTORY - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie (Plants vs. Zombies) | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | Fandom - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4: the making of an 'impossible' Switch conversion - Eurogamer.net - July 4th, 2022
- The Movies And Shows That Kickstarted Rob Zombie's Love Of The Horror Genre - /Film - July 4th, 2022
- Meet the 'zombie star' that survived a supernova blast - Reuters.com - July 4th, 2022
- Zombies of the Slaughterhouse - JSTOR Daily - July 4th, 2022
- Zelda Williams is directing a "bonkers" zombie comedy and Diablo Cody is writing it - The A.V. Club - July 4th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream ZOMBIES Free Online - EpicStream - July 4th, 2022
- The Last Fortress: Underground Is A Life Simulator Home Management Sim Set In The Zombie Apocalypse - GameSpot - July 4th, 2022
- Review: Drunken Fist 2: Zombie Hangover - Movies Games and Tech - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombie property to be demolished in Rotterdam Junction - NEWS10 ABC - June 23rd, 2022
- How refactoring code in Safari's WebKit resurrected 'zombie' security bug - The Register - June 23rd, 2022
- East Idaho Eats: New zombie-themed food truck brings authentic Cubano, other sandwiches to Pocatello - East Idaho News - June 23rd, 2022
- Why Rob Zombie Won't Watch House Of 1,000 Corpses Anymore - /Film - June 23rd, 2022
- Will We Have an IE Zombie Movie? - CDOTrends - June 23rd, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Zombie Massacre Free Online - EpicStream - June 23rd, 2022
- Weekend Whipper: Near Ground Fall on the Famous "Zombie Roof" 5.12d Trad - Climbing Magazine - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombies return to Warzone with Season 4s Rebirth of the Dead mode - CharlieINTEL.com - June 23rd, 2022
- City near Wiltshire in 'unluckiest places' to live in a zombie apocalypse - Wiltshire Times - June 23rd, 2022
- In the Event of a Zombie Apocalypse': What's in the Fine Print You're Signing? - NBC San Diego - June 23rd, 2022
- County Durham beach named one of the UK's weirdest due to 'zombies' - Chronicle Live - June 23rd, 2022
- Review: LAND OF THE DEAD - FANGORIA - June 23rd, 2022
- Moon Knight and an Avenger Are in a Race Against an Army of Zombie Moon Knights (Exclusive) - ComicBook.com - June 23rd, 2022
- Here Are The Lyrics To 'First Kill's Theme, "The Zombie Song" - Elite Daily - June 14th, 2022
- BTS in a Zombie Apocalpyse How Fans Think These Idols Would React - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 14th, 2022
- 'Unhuman' review: A vibrant zombie feature that tries to offer more than just clichs - People's World - June 14th, 2022
- This Is the Best Zombie Movie of All Time, According to Data - 24/7 Wall St. - June 14th, 2022
- Two arrested as drugs and 'zombie' knife seized during raid - Liverpool Echo - June 14th, 2022
- A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Thriller Gets a Taste for Streaming Flesh - We Got This Covered - June 5th, 2022
- Debunking the zombie claim that 'dead people always vote Democrat' - PolitiFact - June 5th, 2022
- The zombie nuke plant that just won't die - The Manila Times - June 5th, 2022
- Why Carnival Fell Today, and What It Has to Do With Zombies - The Motley Fool - June 5th, 2022
- The Midwich Cuckoos, review: steel yourself for Creepy Keeley and the zombie kids - The Telegraph - June 5th, 2022
- Hornets set to get $173m in public cash thanks to zombie lease clause, another $102m just because - Field of Schemes - June 5th, 2022
- Zombie catfish comes back from the dead with just a splash of water in footage - The Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Unhuman Official Trailer: Zombies Bring The Breakfast Club Formula Back From The Dead On June 3 - The Illuminerdi - May 17th, 2022
- Erie County Clerk says he is addressing tax zombie properties - WGRZ.com - May 17th, 2022
- The zombie economics of inflation and unemployment - The Hill - May 17th, 2022
- Tax & Spend: The zombie companies are finally expiring - The Globe and Mail - May 17th, 2022
- Sense of dj vu with Stormont as 'zombie' Executive continues - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2022
- Best Guns for Zombies Cold War: Best Weapons 2022 - Turkish Weekly - Journal of Turkish Weekly - May 17th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero