Army of the Dead: Five things were excited to see in Zack Snyders zombie epic
Whoa! That Army of the Dead trailer was absolutely bonkers, and we mean that in a good way. There was crazy action filmed in director Zack Snyders patented slow-mo style, bikini-clad zombie women, muscle-bound heroes, and zombie tigers; all scored to a beautiful rendition of Kenny Rogers The Gambler. Obviously, there was plenty to unpack, but we managed to whittle all of those elements down to a list of five things were most excited to see in Snyders crazy zombie adventure.
About a month ago, a little movie called Zack Snyders Justice League arrived on HBO Max and, by all accounts, was a smashing success. However, fans of Snyder may note the, ah, distinct lack of batshit insanity typically found in most of the controversial directors films. Oh sure, Justice League is an incredible experience and one of the great superhero pics released over the last several years, but it also features Snyder more or less playing by the rules to deliver a fairly straight-forward action epic light years removed from the extremely decisiveBatman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
RELATED: Zack Snyders Army of the Dead Trailer: A Different Kind of Heist Pic
Army of the Dead, by contrast, looks like a full-blown, 150-percent Zack Snyder-not-giving-a-shit, action-packed, zombie extravaganza that isnt afraid to dive headfirst into bizarro territory, ala Snyders Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen. Judging by the trailer,AOTD could very well end up as the Zack Snyder equivalent of Michael Bays Bad Boys II*, aka the film where Bay,starting from the critical and commercial failure of Pearl Harbor, truly stopped giving a shit and began making films his way, for better or worse.
One look at AOTDs credits, in which Snyder is seemingly listed in every category save for makeup and hair design, is enough to convince us the man has had it up toherewith the studio system and opted to tackle this project alone. In other words,AOTD wont be another studio-mandated version of a much different film. There are no alternate cuts or compromises. This is Snyders movie through and through. So, get ready for a weird, violent, testosterone-fueled ride through a fully realized SnyderVerse, one that pulls no punches and could give two shits about your disdain for slow-motion eye candy, chiseled heroes/villains, in-your-face religious symbolism, or overtly macabre imagery.
Go, Snyder! Go!
The big twist in this particular zombie flick is that, rather than deliver the same mindless, brain-eating walking dead-ers were seen countless times before, Snyder one-ups even World War Z by presenting a zombie horde that not only moves fast but thinks and feels? Unless we misunderstood that image in the trailer of two zombies lovingly pressing foreheads together maybe they were trying to crack a nut this group of walkers has a little more juice in their veins.
These zombies promise to up the ante in their respective genre in more ways than one. As one character mentions, these decomposing a-holes are organized and presumably led by a former stripper/Queen with a knack for military tactics. Hence the title: Army of the Dead. Without a leader, these corpses are just mindless idiots, capable of being blasted to bits by Daryl Dixons missile launcher. Still, under a mindful tactician, they become a powerful weapon that could wipe out the planet.
Again, this is the type of wrinkle that makes Snyder Snyder and has us giddy at the prospects of an AOTD universe.
Weve long loved Dave Bautista, but the big guy has yet to score a role truly worthy of his acting chops, Guardians of the Galaxy be damned. Here, finally, the actor gets a kick-ass leading role that does away with corny Thor is an angel jokes and, at first glance, appears to capture the dramatic side he teased during brief cameos in Spectre and Blade Runner 2049.
If that werent enough, check out that killer supporting cast:Garret Dillahunt, Ella Purnell, Omari Hardwick, Raul Castillo, Tig Notaro, Theo Rossi and Ana de la Reguera, all of whom get their own spotlight moment in a trailer full of great moments. If Justice League showed what Snyder could do with a rag-tag team of superheroes, imagine how much fun hell have with this muscle-clad motley crew.
The MVP of 2021s blockbuster season thus far has been Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL. The composers score for Zack Snyders Justice League is right up there with some of the best action scores of the last decade, while his music for Godzilla vs. Kong represents 85% of why that wacky monster flick works as well as it does.
AOTD is Holkenborgs third and final score this year, but if its even half as badass as those aforementioned works, were in for a mighty treat!
Zack Snyder has never been shy about his love for wanton destruction. Whether it be Superman punching Zod through skyscrapers, or Rorschach cutting some poor goons hands-off with a chainsaw, Snyder pumps his movies with so much mayhem its no wonder audiences stumble out of the theater feeling shellshocked. And thats precisely why we love him.
RELATED: Mondo Reveals Zack Snyders Justice League Soundtrack Box Set!
As stated above, with AOTD, Snyder is making his movie his way; and you can bet your bottom dollar the action scenes will feature enough gore, blood, explosions, dismemberment, beheadings, knifings and shootings to make films like High Tension wince. The trailer only shows off a snippet of the wild action were about to feast on and teases a crew packing firearms galore, chainsaws, knives, machine guns, something that looks like a flamethrower (at the 2:10 mark), and a baseball bat adorned with nails all presented on a massive scale unlike any weve ever seen for this particular genre.
Oh, and wed be remiss not to mention that friggin zombie tiger because you can never get enough zombie tigers.
Army of the Deadis set to hit select theaters on May 14 and Netflix on May 21.
*Thats not to say AOTD will stoop to the same level as Bad Boys II, which is a humungous turd of a film albeit a glorious, breathtaking turd that is as endlessly watchable and quotable as it is shockingly reprehensible. Suffice to say, AOTD will hopefully grant Snyder the creative freedom to do what Snyder does in the same way that Bad Boys II finally allowed Bay to unleash pure unadulterated Bayhem in the best way.
Read the original here:
Army of the Dead: What Excites Us About Zack Snyders Zombie Epic - ComingSoon.net
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
- Rob Zombie's The Munsters: 9 Questions We Have About The Upcoming Movie - CinemaBlend - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Debt: One of the ways you're tricked into paying a bill you shouldn't - WFMYNews2.com - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Brings Competitive Zombies Back to the Stage - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- The best Call of Duty Zombies maps of all time - Gamepur - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol Release Time - DualShockers - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Squad - Index page - June 14th, 2021
- The Zombie Hunters - June 14th, 2021
- Top Call of Duty Zombie Games of All Time - The Game Haus - June 14th, 2021
- This week in space: Zombie stars and the corporatization of the galaxy - Chron - June 14th, 2021
- Framestore's VFX is the 'Zombie Cat's Meow' in 'Army of the Dead' - Animation World Network - June 14th, 2021
- Zack Snyder talks Army of the Dead's robot zombies and aliens - Gamesradar - June 14th, 2021
- STREAMING: ZOMBIES, MURDER AND DEVILS - DAWN.com - June 14th, 2021
- Fear the Walking Dead season 7 release date: Latest news about the zombie spin-off - Radio Times - June 14th, 2021
- The kids are back in town - Telegraph India - June 14th, 2021
- Survivors vs zombie soldiers in first pics from The Walking Dead season 11 - Winter is Coming - June 14th, 2021
- The Miz Slams Online Haters Of Out Of The Box Zombies Match - Ringside News - June 14th, 2021
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer - June 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero