All products and services featured by IndieWire are independently selected by IndieWire editors. However, IndieWire may receive a commission on orders placed through its retail links, and the retailer may receive certain auditable data for accounting purposes.
You dont have to wait until Halloween to catch up on your favorite zombie content. From The Walking Dead to Army of the Dead, and even the popular Resident Evil gaming franchise, zombies are huge right now, and were not just talking about popular movies and TV shows.
More from IndieWire
The Center for Disease Control created an online campaign to make sure that youre prepared in the event of a zombie apocalypse (as if a global pandemic wasnt scary enough). Elsewhere on the internet, anti-vaxxers have been using films like I Am Legend (which you can stream on HBO Max) to spread false conspiracy theories about the covid vaccine.
And fun fact: the term zombie was born from Haitian folklore, but Hollywood has turned the seemingly scary concept into a bankable genre feeding our fascinations with gory depictions of the undead. But Netflix isnt the only destination to binge your favorite zombie movies on demand. You can watch them, and thousands of other films and TV shows, on HBO Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime.
If youre not already subscribed to one of the aforementioned platforms, heres a quick breakdown: With plans starting at $9.99 a month, HBO Max lets you access tens of thousands of films and movies as well as exclusive releases, including a slate of Warner Bros. films that will debut in theaters and stream simultaneously on HBO Max for the first month after release. Amazon Prime is $12.99 a month ($1.99 for the first week) for access to the massive Prime Video library, and free two-day shipping on select items. Hulu is currently offering a free trial for new customers, and subscriptions start at $5.99 a month for ad-free streaming or $59.99 a year (you can also add HBO Max to your Hulu subscription). The streaming platform offers ad-free streaming options starting at $11.99 a month.
But back to zombies. For those interested in the gory, spooky, and sometimes funny stories on mindless flesh-eaters, we put together a list of the best zombie movies now streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime. And be sure to check out these yummy snack boxes for a perfect movie night. See below for 10 zombie flicks to stream right now.
Brad Pitt, "World War Z"
Brad Pitt stars in this post-apocalyptic zombie thriller directed by Marc Forster. The plot begins with a former United Nations employee, Gerry Lane (Pitt), and his family getting caught in a New York City traffic jam that turns out to be more than your average gridlock. Lane heads on a global trek in an effort to stop the zombie pandemic threatening to end humanity. Despite the original raking in over $500 million at the box office, the sequel for World War Z was eventually shelved. You can stream World War Z on Amazon Prime. You can also catch it on Paramount+.
Train to Busan - Credit: Everett Collection / Everett Collection
Everett Collection / Everett Collection
Train to Busan is set to receive an American remake, but theres nothing like the original. Most of the 2016 South Korean action thriller from Yeon Sang-ho goes down on a train, which somehow makes the story that much spookier. Starring Gong Yoo Jung, Jung Yu-mi, and Ma Dong-seok, Train to Busan follows a zombie apocalypse that breaks out after a chemical leak at a biotech plant. You can rent or buy Train to Busan on Amazon Prime.
28 Days Later - Credit: 20th Century Fox/Everett Collection
20th Century Fox/Everett Collection
A list of best zombie movies doesnt feel complete without 28 Days Later. Released in 2003, this Danny Boyle horror drama still terrifies fans nearly two decades later. Like any good zombie plot, 28 Days Later unfolds in a post-apocalyptic setting thats ripe with gore and suspense. The story centers around a small group of survivors seeking refuge while an incurable virus spreads through London. Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Noah Huntley, Brendan Gleeson, and Megan Burns, are among the cast. You can stream 28 Days Later on Hulu and Amazon Prime.
The Girl With All The Gifts - Credit: Everett Collection
Directed by Colm McCarthy, this 2016 sci-fi horror film centers around a gifted little girl named Melanie (Sennia Nanua) and a small group of survivors of a parasitic fungal infection that turned most of humanity into flesh-eating zombies (a.k.a hungries). The survival of humanity hinges on a small group of half-zombie, half-human children. The Girl With All the Gifts is based on a 2013 short story and features Glenn Close, Fisayo Akinade, Dominique Tipper, Paddy Considine, and Gemma Arterton. The Girl With All the Gifts is streaming on Hulu and Amazon Prime.
Shaun of the Dead - Credit: Rogue Pictures/Everett Collection
Rogue Pictures/Everett Collection
Written and directed by Edgar White, Shaun of the Dead is the lighthearted zombie comedy that amassed a cult following. The films protagonist Sean (Simon Pegg) works a dead-end job while his relationship is on life-support mainly because his girlfriend wants him to grow up and do something more productive with his life. Little does everyone know, an impending zombie apocalypse descends on London, which could give Sean a chance to finally prove himself. Shaun of the Dead is streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime.
Night of the Living Dead - Credit: Image Ten/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock
After more than 50 years, Night of the Living Dead remains one of the most influential zombie films in movie history, and certainly the most successful of its time. The 1968 indie horror flick, directed by George A. Romero, is considered pivotal to the development of the zombie horror film genre that we know today. The classic, which stars Judith ODea, Duane Jones, Marilyn Eastman, Karl Hardman, Judith Ridley, and Keith Wayne, spawned an entire film franchise that includes Day of the Dead and Diary of the Dead. You can stream Night of the Living Dead on HBO Max, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.
Day of the Dead - Credit: United Film Distribution/Everett Collection
United Film Distribution/Everett Collection
Speaking of its predecessor, this 1985 film was the third installment in Romeros Night of the Living Dead series. The plot takes the franchise into the Day of the Dead, a pretty dark day considering that zombies outnumber human 400,000 to one. The plot centers around a group of post-apocalyptic survivors hunkering down at a shelter while battling to save whats left of the human race. Day of the Dead has been remade a couple times over, but you can catch the original on HBO Max.
Zombieland - Credit: Columbia Pictures/Relativity Media
Columbia Pictures/Relativity Media
Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin star in the 2009 comedy Zombieland. The film is about four people in a battle for survival after a global virus turns just about everybody into a zombie. Eisenberg plays Columbus, a shy and lonely college student hoping to get to his family in Ohio to make sure theyre safe, and hopefully alive. Along the way, he meets the gun-toting Tallahassee (Harrelson), whos on a mission to find the last Twinkie. Meanwhile, Stone and Breslin play sisters Little Rock and Wichita who end up conning the guys. Zombieland is streaming on Amazon Prime.
Dawn of the Dead - Credit: Universal Pictures
Zack Snyders Dawn of the Dead is about a gaggle of Milwaukee residents who seek refuge in a local mall as a swarm of zombies close in on them. Sarah Polley stars as Anna, a nurse whose husband gets attacked by their young zombie neighbor. Naturally, Anna has to get away from her husband, and any other zombiefied beings around town, but shes not the only one looking for a safe hiding place. The cast of Dawn of the Dead includes Ving Rhames, Jake Weber, Mekhi Phifer, and Tyler Bates. You rent the 2004 movie on Amazon Prime.
Night of the Comet - Credit: Everett Collection
If youre in the mood for an 80s zombie film, try out Night of the Comet. After a comet triggers a zombie apocalypse that wipes out a large portion of the population, teenage sisters Regina (Catherine Mary Stewart), and Samantha (Kelli Maroney) team up with fellow survivors on an end-of-the-world adventure that finds them trying to avoid zombies, but also the doctors who want to use them as human test dummies for a potential antidote. Night of the Comet is available for rent on Amazon Prime.
Sign up for Indiewire's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero