Call Of Duty Zombies has appeared in every Treyarch entry since World At War, and for a side mode, it gained a ton of popularity over the years. The mode has its own long and intricate story underneath the single round-based survival gameplay.
RELATED:Black Ops: Cold War Zombies: 5 Guns You Should Drop-In With (& 5 You Should Ignore)
The story is heavily driven by the characters we play as, of which are given the name of a "crew." Each crew consists of four characters that we play as on certain maps. Many of these crews are beloved for a variety of reasons, but others would be better if they just never spoke a word, like the original Nacht Der Untoten marines.
The newest crew introduced, Requiem is the name of the strike team featured in Black Ops Cold War. Rather than having a dedicated four characters for the mode, Cold War has us playing as the Operators available in the game.
While it's nice to have more freedom to who we're playing as, the trade-off is that the characters don't have much personality outside of generic lines. The only characters with any personality are the agents on the intercom, andeven then a lot of them are rather bland and generic.
Victis (also sometimes referred to as the "TranZit Crew") is one of the worst crews the series has seen. All of the characters are incredibly annoying, and it's hard to find anything fun about them.
RELATED:Black Ops Cold War Zombies: 10 Tips To Make An Overpowered Loadout
It doesn't help that they've been put on some of the worst maps in the series, making it even harder to find incentive to find something good about them. They don't have much depth either and are mostly just pawns for the grander overarching story. The characters have no chemistry with each other, including the two that are supposed to be in a relationship.
The Dead Of The Night Crew doesn't have an official name, and frankly, there's little reason for it to. The characters on the map aren't necessarily bad, but there's just nothing memorable about them.
It's telling when the only line most people remember from the map is "My dearest Scarlet" which was spoken by a character you don't even interact with. Since the Dead Of The Night Crew is a one-off one, they don't have any room to grow into a proper crew. The map isn't exactly beloved either, making it harder to enjoy the characters it has to offer.
The Chaos storyline was the new story that Black Ops 4 introduced, though only had three maps to its name. The story wasn't very well-received, and many preferred seeing more Aether maps instead. As such, the Chaos crew doesn't get much love.
The biggest issue with the Chaos crew is that a lot of the characters feel more of the same. None of them feel too fresh and feel more like retrains of previous characters we've already seen. The characters are likable enough, though not to the same scale as other crews in the series.
Call Of The Dead was the first time the Zombies mode utilized a celebrity cast to act as a "guest crew." In Call Of The Dead, the celebrities played themselves with Danny Trejo, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Michael Rooker, and Robert Englund acting as the crew,and George Romero playing the boss zombie of the map.
RELATED:Black Ops Cold War Zombies: 10 Tips To Get To High Rounds
It's a great decision too. The Call Of The Dead crew is an absolute delight. Since they're playing themselves, they make fun references to various pieces they worked on, and have a surprising amount of chemistry despite the broad range the four provide.
Another celebrity cast, albeit only in voice, Shadows Of Evil while poorly received on its launch, has become one of the most popular maps ever. Thanks to the story of the map and the celebrity talent, it makes for an incredibly memorable crew despite only appearing on one map.
While the crew doesn't interact with each other too much, the Shadows Of Evil crew all stand out fantastically on their own. Every character is corrupt in some way and plays fantastically into the story. Not to mention it's hard to not enjoy Jeff Goldblum (voice of Nero) while killing the zombie horde.
The Five crew is probably one of the most unique ones, consisting of John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Fidel Castro, and Robert McNamara. The cast of Five is what brings the map together. It's such an unorthodox concept and cast that it's hard not to enjoy their banter while fighting through the undead in the Pentagon.
Each character stands out on their own, and bounce off of each other fantastically. There are so many memorable lines from the Zombies mode that stem from Five, such as the always classic line "Sounds like someone's breaking in!"
The original Zombies crew, Ultimis was the first time we had characters with personality introduced on Shi No Numa, making their exit in Tag Der Toten after being away for Black Ops 2 and 3. Ultimis is when Zombies started to find its identity and bolstered the mode up to new heights.
RELATED:Black Op Cold War Zombies: 5 Perks That Need To Return (And 5 That Don't)
The characters all fit into archetypes, and all bounced off each other incredibly well. The banter of Ultimis is what drove them to the heights they reached in terms of Zombies crews. They drove the first act of the overall Aether story and helped lay the groundwork for what Zombies would become.
Mob Of The Dead to many is what saved Black Ops 2's Zombies mode, and the mode all together after the flops of the previous maps. A part of the reason is just how well written the Mobsters you play as were. They were all voiced by famous celebrities in the gangster genre, and it shows with how well their performance is.
Mob Of The Dead plays out like a true mobster movie, and that's what makes the characters so good. They're not friends, but co-workers who are all after the same goal. They work together because they need to, and it helps drive the narrative to such incredible heights that they all have a lasting impact despite only having one major appearance.
Introduced in the finale of Black Ops 2's Origins, the Primis crew was when Zombies became what it is. It was a soft reboot to the story, giving it, and the characters much more depth than their Ultimis days. Primis gave the characters we already knew and love a lot more personality, and it let Zombies reach new heights.
The biggest notes Primis hit is when each character has to kill their Ultimis counterparts during Black Ops 3. No longer were the characters one dimension but fun, but they felt like full-fledged characters with conflicting feelings throughout their journey. They were complicated, and it let the Aether storyline conclude with the grand impact it deserved.
Next:Black Ops Cold War Zombies: The 5 Best Guns (& 5 Of The Worst)
Next Genshin Impact: 12 Things You Should Know About Barbara
Johnny Garcia is a long time gamer and writer based in sunny California. Having worked many odd jobs, including article writing, he is now a list writer for TheGamer.com. Having grown up around video games and being raised on them, his knowledge of video games is as high as it can be. Aside from video games, he also has an avid interest in trading card games, namely Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic the Gathering.
The rest is here:
Call Of Duty Zombies: All Zombies Crews, Ranked - TheGamer
- How TV and movie zombies have evolved from the mindless undead to superhuman killing machines - Yahoo News - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie properties a growing problem in Capital Region The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - November 29th, 2021
- Yeon Sang-ho Talks Season 2 of 'Hellbound' and Third Zombie Movie - - The Nerd Stash - November 29th, 2021
- Hellbound Creator Yeon Sang-ho Details Season 2 Plans, Teases Third Zombie Movie in World of Train to Busan - Variety - November 29th, 2021
- Recap: Weddings, funerals, and sexy time: Day of the Dead Ep. 7 gets at what it means to be a human (and not a zombie) - SYFY WIRE - November 29th, 2021
- BSU professor presents on zombies and colonialism as part of Native American Heritage Month events - Bemidji Pioneer - November 29th, 2021
- America's Favorite Zombie Officer Returns on 4K with Blue Underground's Maniac Cop II and III - Critical Blast - November 29th, 2021
- Warnings of orphan and zombie wells spark debate on bonding by oil, gas companies - The Denver Post - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie river? London's Thames, once biologically dead, has been coming back to life - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Zombies to the rescue: The arcane voting rule that could save Dems antitrust agenda - POLITICO - November 13th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Confirms The Munsters Officially Shooting, Offers Tease of Logo - ComicBook.com - November 13th, 2021
- LUCE: The zombie issues of legacy preference - Yale Daily News - November 13th, 2021
- RUPCO seeks to rehabilitate and sell 10 zombie properties in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - November 13th, 2021
- Stream Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Code Orange and more from Welcome To Rockville this weekend Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 13th, 2021
- Joivan Wade Talks About Doom Patrol's Cyborg, Being A Zombie, And His Doctor Who Inspiration - Exclusive Interview - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero