In Zack Snyder and Netflixs post-apocalyptic action-adventure, Army of the Dead, following a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a group of mercenaries tries to venture into the quarantine zone to pull off a $200 million heist. Gory mayhem ensues. Talk amongst yourselves.
The film, now streaming,features an all-star international cast led by Dave Bautista,Ana de la Reguera, Tig Notaro, Omari Hardwick, Theo Rossi, Huma Qureshi, Hardwick, Hiroyuki Sanada, Garret Dillahunt, Matthias Schweighfer, Ral Castillo, Nora Arnezeder, and Samantha Win. Its directed by Snyder (who also served as director of photography) with a screenplay by Snyder & Shay Hatten and Joby Harold from a story by Snyder. The film is produced by The Stone Quarrys Deborah Snyder, Zack Snyder, and Wesley Coller.
Led by VFX supervisors Robert Winter and Joao Sita, along with animation supervisor Hennadii Prykhodko, allbased out of Framestores Montreal office, the studiohandled a wide variety of visual effects on the film; their work ranged from early concept art development to final VFX on 500+ shots, including the ferocious undead tiger, Valentine, zombie hordes, and a post-apocalyptic Las Vegas. And lots of previously mentioned gore. And mayhem.
Working closely with the director, Winter supervised the creation and integration of the zombie tiger, zombie hordes and crowd, destruction of Las Vegas, digital stunt doubles of the main cast, blood and gore, the helicopter chase, and nuclear explosion. Say that three times fast! Sita oversaw the Tig Notaro replacement shots and additional sequences added when the actor joined the film, as well as the creation of her digital asset and integration of her greenscreen material into the principal photography shoot.
According to Winter, We worked from a concept of a destroyed Tropicana Boulevard provided by the filmmakers. We created concepts for the other locations along the Las Vegas strip, as well as finalized the design of the Olympus hotel, which is one of the fictional hotels in the story. We also created the final concept for Valentine's design, adding the finishing details of the decay, dirt, and blood you see in the film.
For the Tig Notaro shoot, we provided camera diagrams to assist the filmmakers in matching the same camera angles, he adds.
As far as the films copious number of human flesh eaters, Framestore created a digital zombie horde to populate the massive numbers needed in the wide shots, extending those numbers with zombie performers. The filmmakers took advantage of the variety of characters found in Las Vegas, Winter says. We built a modular system with a wide variety of wardrobe items and creature makeup to match the live performers. In the title sequence, when the military bombed the strip, the horde was put through an explosion simulation, which resulted in the carnage of thousands of CG zombies. Too much fun!
Who would have guessed that Carole Baskin's animal sanctuary from Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness gets a shout out. Our CG zombie tiger was initially based on a reference tiger named Sapphire who lived at the Big Cat Rescue in Florida, Winter explains. We built the non-zombie version of the tiger first. This allowed us to have a physically accurate anatomy to start animation. Once Zack approved the final Valentine concept art, we incorporated the zombie characteristics. We began with peeling away the layers of skin and muscle to reveal internal anatomy like bone and tendons. Our animation and creature FX teams added skin sliding, fur dynamics, and muscle giggle for realistic motion of her exposed anatomy. Adding dry blood, dirt clumps, and decayed anatomy was the final step to give Valentine the same patina as the rest of the world created for Army of the Dead.
Winters team also created a huge array of gore elements, from the hundreds of blood splatters and head shots to a full body zombie decimation. We destroyed three key zombie heads, he notes. "One done by the jaws of the zombie tiger, another by a bullet in slow motion, and the last with a fall from a tall building. We also ripped a spine out of a skull, tore a jaw off a face, and popped a zombie between two heavy doors. It was a smorgasbord of FX gore. Our team of talented FX animators did a fantastic job grossing us out day-after-day in reviews.
Because the story takes place in a destroyed Las Vegas, creating a digital version of that world was one of projects most ambitious efforts. We spent two weeks in Las Vegas photographing and scanning the strip, Winter reveals. This became the foundation for building our version of Las Vegas. The scale of the strip is massive. Each property covers a massive area. We wanted the audience to feel that expanse, so we built our Las Vegas to scale with an accurate layout of all the structures along the strip. We only deviated from the real Las Vegas by adding the two fictional hotels: the Olympus and the Bly, which are unique to the AOTD world. Great care and artistry went into the added destruction, debris, and texture to create the final look of the Las Vegas you see in the film.
For Winter, the immense scale of the destroyed Las Vegas made creation and execution of the environment a huge challenge. We were always pushing our hardware to the limit when rendering destroyed Las Vegas, he adds.
Another big challenge was inserting actor Tig Notaro into the film, after principal shooting had completed, replacing Chris D'Elia, the actor originally cast as the helicopter pilot who was cut from the film due to sexual misconduct allegations. Late in our production schedule, the filmmakers decided to replace the actor playing the role of the pilot, Winter says. It was a team effort. We supplied technical diagrams of camera positions to enable them to recreate the same camera views when shooting elements of the new actor. We built a digital version of Tig Notaro that was animated and placed in shots that could not be achieved live. Because wed become intensely familiar with the look of the lens Zack used to shoot the film, we had very elaborate lensing templates unique to each lens. These were used to integrate the Tig Notaro elements into existing shots.
Having to replace an actor entirely in a movie was new to the company and rather gratifying to be part of it, as the movie gained more personality and punch with Tigs addition, Sita adds. The expertise from Framestore of building digital realistic characters and integrating it seamlessly came into play and proved to be fundamental in this work.
Winters concludes by noting that they were already in post-production when the pandemic started, so after a short adjustment period shifting to working from home, they were pretty much back at work full steam. I had to return to the office one day a week to review our final work in a theater, he says. It was very lonely sitting by myself in a dark room staring at shots of zombies. Not that I was scared or anything!
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero