In Zack Snyder and Netflixs post-apocalyptic action-adventure, Army of the Dead, following a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a group of mercenaries tries to venture into the quarantine zone to pull off a $200 million heist. Gory mayhem ensues. Talk amongst yourselves.
The film, now streaming,features an all-star international cast led by Dave Bautista,Ana de la Reguera, Tig Notaro, Omari Hardwick, Theo Rossi, Huma Qureshi, Hardwick, Hiroyuki Sanada, Garret Dillahunt, Matthias Schweighfer, Ral Castillo, Nora Arnezeder, and Samantha Win. Its directed by Snyder (who also served as director of photography) with a screenplay by Snyder & Shay Hatten and Joby Harold from a story by Snyder. The film is produced by The Stone Quarrys Deborah Snyder, Zack Snyder, and Wesley Coller.
Led by VFX supervisors Robert Winter and Joao Sita, along with animation supervisor Hennadii Prykhodko, allbased out of Framestores Montreal office, the studiohandled a wide variety of visual effects on the film; their work ranged from early concept art development to final VFX on 500+ shots, including the ferocious undead tiger, Valentine, zombie hordes, and a post-apocalyptic Las Vegas. And lots of previously mentioned gore. And mayhem.
Working closely with the director, Winter supervised the creation and integration of the zombie tiger, zombie hordes and crowd, destruction of Las Vegas, digital stunt doubles of the main cast, blood and gore, the helicopter chase, and nuclear explosion. Say that three times fast! Sita oversaw the Tig Notaro replacement shots and additional sequences added when the actor joined the film, as well as the creation of her digital asset and integration of her greenscreen material into the principal photography shoot.
According to Winter, We worked from a concept of a destroyed Tropicana Boulevard provided by the filmmakers. We created concepts for the other locations along the Las Vegas strip, as well as finalized the design of the Olympus hotel, which is one of the fictional hotels in the story. We also created the final concept for Valentine's design, adding the finishing details of the decay, dirt, and blood you see in the film.
For the Tig Notaro shoot, we provided camera diagrams to assist the filmmakers in matching the same camera angles, he adds.
As far as the films copious number of human flesh eaters, Framestore created a digital zombie horde to populate the massive numbers needed in the wide shots, extending those numbers with zombie performers. The filmmakers took advantage of the variety of characters found in Las Vegas, Winter says. We built a modular system with a wide variety of wardrobe items and creature makeup to match the live performers. In the title sequence, when the military bombed the strip, the horde was put through an explosion simulation, which resulted in the carnage of thousands of CG zombies. Too much fun!
Who would have guessed that Carole Baskin's animal sanctuary from Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness gets a shout out. Our CG zombie tiger was initially based on a reference tiger named Sapphire who lived at the Big Cat Rescue in Florida, Winter explains. We built the non-zombie version of the tiger first. This allowed us to have a physically accurate anatomy to start animation. Once Zack approved the final Valentine concept art, we incorporated the zombie characteristics. We began with peeling away the layers of skin and muscle to reveal internal anatomy like bone and tendons. Our animation and creature FX teams added skin sliding, fur dynamics, and muscle giggle for realistic motion of her exposed anatomy. Adding dry blood, dirt clumps, and decayed anatomy was the final step to give Valentine the same patina as the rest of the world created for Army of the Dead.
Winters team also created a huge array of gore elements, from the hundreds of blood splatters and head shots to a full body zombie decimation. We destroyed three key zombie heads, he notes. "One done by the jaws of the zombie tiger, another by a bullet in slow motion, and the last with a fall from a tall building. We also ripped a spine out of a skull, tore a jaw off a face, and popped a zombie between two heavy doors. It was a smorgasbord of FX gore. Our team of talented FX animators did a fantastic job grossing us out day-after-day in reviews.
Because the story takes place in a destroyed Las Vegas, creating a digital version of that world was one of projects most ambitious efforts. We spent two weeks in Las Vegas photographing and scanning the strip, Winter reveals. This became the foundation for building our version of Las Vegas. The scale of the strip is massive. Each property covers a massive area. We wanted the audience to feel that expanse, so we built our Las Vegas to scale with an accurate layout of all the structures along the strip. We only deviated from the real Las Vegas by adding the two fictional hotels: the Olympus and the Bly, which are unique to the AOTD world. Great care and artistry went into the added destruction, debris, and texture to create the final look of the Las Vegas you see in the film.
For Winter, the immense scale of the destroyed Las Vegas made creation and execution of the environment a huge challenge. We were always pushing our hardware to the limit when rendering destroyed Las Vegas, he adds.
Another big challenge was inserting actor Tig Notaro into the film, after principal shooting had completed, replacing Chris D'Elia, the actor originally cast as the helicopter pilot who was cut from the film due to sexual misconduct allegations. Late in our production schedule, the filmmakers decided to replace the actor playing the role of the pilot, Winter says. It was a team effort. We supplied technical diagrams of camera positions to enable them to recreate the same camera views when shooting elements of the new actor. We built a digital version of Tig Notaro that was animated and placed in shots that could not be achieved live. Because wed become intensely familiar with the look of the lens Zack used to shoot the film, we had very elaborate lensing templates unique to each lens. These were used to integrate the Tig Notaro elements into existing shots.
Having to replace an actor entirely in a movie was new to the company and rather gratifying to be part of it, as the movie gained more personality and punch with Tigs addition, Sita adds. The expertise from Framestore of building digital realistic characters and integrating it seamlessly came into play and proved to be fundamental in this work.
Winters concludes by noting that they were already in post-production when the pandemic started, so after a short adjustment period shifting to working from home, they were pretty much back at work full steam. I had to return to the office one day a week to review our final work in a theater, he says. It was very lonely sitting by myself in a dark room staring at shots of zombies. Not that I was scared or anything!
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
- Rob Zombie's The Munsters: 9 Questions We Have About The Upcoming Movie - CinemaBlend - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Debt: One of the ways you're tricked into paying a bill you shouldn't - WFMYNews2.com - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Brings Competitive Zombies Back to the Stage - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- The best Call of Duty Zombies maps of all time - Gamepur - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol Release Time - DualShockers - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Squad - Index page - June 14th, 2021
- The Zombie Hunters - June 14th, 2021
- Top Call of Duty Zombie Games of All Time - The Game Haus - June 14th, 2021
- This week in space: Zombie stars and the corporatization of the galaxy - Chron - June 14th, 2021
- Zack Snyder talks Army of the Dead's robot zombies and aliens - Gamesradar - June 14th, 2021
- STREAMING: ZOMBIES, MURDER AND DEVILS - DAWN.com - June 14th, 2021
- Fear the Walking Dead season 7 release date: Latest news about the zombie spin-off - Radio Times - June 14th, 2021
- The kids are back in town - Telegraph India - June 14th, 2021
- Survivors vs zombie soldiers in first pics from The Walking Dead season 11 - Winter is Coming - June 14th, 2021
- The Miz Slams Online Haters Of Out Of The Box Zombies Match - Ringside News - June 14th, 2021
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer - June 1st, 2021
- The Could You Survive This Zombie Apocalypse? Matrix - The Ringer - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead VFX Boss on Crafting the Perfect Zombie Tiger - ComicBook.com - June 1st, 2021
- The Zombie-Mall Weirdness of Going to the Movies Again - The New York Times - June 1st, 2021
- 710 freeway expansion is a zombie project from another era - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- How VFX Artists Made the Zombie Horse in 'Army of the Dead' - menshealth.com - June 1st, 2021
- Biden Won't Give Up on Zombie Infrastructure Deal - The Daily Beast - June 1st, 2021
- The Outrageous Bride magazine that is tapping into new trend for zombie, Goth and even Viking weddings - Business Live - June 1st, 2021
- 'Zombie universities' face drastic action as births fall - University World News - June 1st, 2021
- Zombie heist movie Army of the Dead descends to the depths of mediocrity - CultureMap Austin - June 1st, 2021
- Were Living Through the DLC-ification of Movies and TV - Observer - June 1st, 2021
- Texans Must Now Face 'Zombie Trees' as a Result of the Historic Winter Storm - ourcommunitynow.com - June 1st, 2021
- The Zombie Comedy Killing It On Netflix Right Now Looper - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Scene with Full Frontal Zombie Nudity Didnt Make Final Cut: Its Too Much - IndieWire - May 8th, 2021
- Army Of The Dead removed scene with full-frontal zombie nudity from final cut - NME - May 8th, 2021
- Play Days Gone without the annoying zombie hordes with Open Country - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- Ranking All 8 ROB ZOMBIE Movies Worst to Best - Dread Central - May 8th, 2021
- Serial pleasures: The TV series that got us through lockdown - The Irish Times - May 8th, 2021
- George A. Romeros final zombie film is being finished by his widow - NME - May 8th, 2021
- New 'Army of the Dead' Clip Teases New Type of Zombies - HYPEBEAST - May 8th, 2021
- Mystery as zombie nuclear fires REIGNITE at Chernobyl blast site 35 years on sparking fears of another di... - The Sun - May 8th, 2021
- Desi Nostradamus is wrong. The zombies are already here - The Times of India Blog - May 8th, 2021
- The best tower defense games on PC - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- This place in Lancashire is deemed one of the least likely places to survive a zombie apocalypse - Lancashire Telegraph - May 8th, 2021
- What will the end of the pandemic mean for zombie companies? - Raconteur - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: How Zack Snyder Is Revolutionizing Zombie Movies - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- Beware the 'Zoom Zombie'? - Land Line Opinion % - Land Line Media - April 23rd, 2021
- My Breast Implants Turned Me Into A Rapidly Aging Zombie - Scary Mommy - April 23rd, 2021
- Slipknot, Rob Zombie and Mudvayne to headline Inkcarceration Music & Tattoo Festival 2021 - Louder - April 23rd, 2021
- Zack Snyders Army of the Dead VFX Team Used Carole Baskins Tiger to Create the Zombie Tiger - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Forget Everything and Run review scenic zombie adventure lacks bite - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: What Excites Us About Zack Snyders Zombie Epic - ComingSoon.net - April 23rd, 2021
- CGI Zombie Tiger In Army Of The Dead Was Modeled After Carole Baskin's Own Tiger - GameSpot - April 23rd, 2021
- What a Zombie Basketball Player From 2026 Has to Do With NIL and NFTs - SportTechie - April 23rd, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero