If youre ready for zombies, youre ready for any emergency.
Theyre terrifying yet not real. They pose no threat, yet they have something to teach about wounds, first aid, self-defense and putting together a go-kit. And they look really cool.
Perhaps thats why zombies have become the monster of choice for emergency preparedness festivals around the world. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention introduced the concept in 2011 with a tongue-in-cheek blog post (Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse) that went viral.
Now its Carolinas turn as the office of Campus Safety prepares to unleash 20 zombies on the Pit from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 22, to attract attention to 27 safety-related exhibitors and a dozen demonstrations on real-life emergencies. The event coincides with National Preparedness Month.
We wanted to do something big and something that was definitely going to grab the attention of our entire campus community, said Justin Miller, emergency management coordinator.
For the past two years, campus safety has been focused on getting out the word about COVID-19: encouraging vaccinations, booster shots and testing as well as putting up signage about wearing masks and keeping distanced from each other.
But campus safety was also upgrading its overall emergency responsiveness. In the summer of 2020, it introduced a new Carolina Ready safety app and launched a website that includes links to resources, computer-based training and safety guides for students, faculty and staff.
We invested significant time during the pandemic to develop and distribute new emergency preparedness resources. But ultimately COVID communication took precedence and rightfully so, Miller said. So now that more are returning to campus, were utilizing this event to remind, and maybe educate for the first time, our students and employees, both new and returning, that these resources do exist.
They wanted to share the information in a way that would be memorable yet not too scary, especially at a time when concern is high about mental health.
One of the key components of our operation and program is to create and expand preparedness awareness campus-wide. We want our campus community to know that they can be empowered with both knowledge and resources, said Darrell Jeter, director of emergency management and planning. We also wanted to be sensitive to the fact that it can be a hard conversation to talk about an active shooter event or a hurricane or some other natural or human-caused emergency or disaster. So why not prepare for the zombie? Then the zombie represents whatever that disaster emergency is.
Another reason to choose zombies is the fact that two well-known zombie makeup artists have headquarters only a half-hour away from Chapel Hill. Brothers Starr and Dean Jones co-own and operate the Original Hollywood Horror Show attraction in Snow Camp. Carolina has contracted with the company to create 20 zombies, including super-detailed hero zombies, scary monsters like the ones seen in movie closeups.
While the brothers are best known for their work on movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and operating the horror theme park for the past 30 years, they also do their share of emergency preparedness work. One of their biggest operations was a simulated plane crash that involved emergency responders across Alamance County, with sound effects, fog and smoke and realistic makeup for burn and wound victims. The brothers got their start in the profession when they were Eagle Scouts, simulating wounds for first aid treatment.
We get notes on what to do for exercises based on mass injuries. And it goes over extremely well, said Starr Jones.
The zombies for the event at Carolina are mostly to attract attention and wont closely interact with the attendees. But some will be part of presentations, such as the zombie bite bandaging and wound care demonstration by Campus EMS and zombie bite tourniquet and bleeding control by student-led organizations Stop the Bleed and the Association for Carolina Emergency Response and Injury Prevention.
If you want to find out more about emergency resources on campus and see zombies! head down to the Pit area midday, pick up a festival passport and get it stamped at various tables that will be set up on the brick courtyard area surrounding the Frank Porter Graham Student Union and Student Stores. Then turn in your stamped passport for a free T-shirt and additional prizes.
In the event of inclement weather, the event will move inside to the Great Hall in the Student Union.
A bonus attraction for the festival is a live demonstration by the North Carolina Office of State Fire Marshal on Polk Place. At 12:15 p.m., a trailer containing simulated residence hall rooms one with sprinklers installed and one without will be set on fire to show how fast fire becomes deadly and how residential sprinklers can save lives.
Read stories on faculty and staff at TheWell.UNC.edu
Read the original post:
Get ready for the zombie apocalypse | UNC-Chapel Hill - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- John 5 says he hasn't spoken to Rob Zombie since leaving his band to join Motley Crue - Metal Edge - May 13th, 2023
- Could Zombie-Ant Fungus Really Be The Last of Us?' NYC Expert Weighs In - NBC New York - April 27th, 2023
- Dead Island 2 review: an RPG as mindless as its zombies - Polygon - April 19th, 2023
- Top 5 cases of zombies from the real world - Medical News Today - April 8th, 2023
- Edmonton is where you want to be when the zombie apocalypse comes, study finds - National Post - March 23rd, 2023
- John Hennigan on Zombie Lumberjack Match: Damian Priests Reaction and Getting Ribbed By A Zombie - Fightful - March 6th, 2023
- The 30 Essential Zombie Movies to Watch - Rotten Tomatoes - February 18th, 2023
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
- Terrifying Rabid Zombie Coyote Attempts To Kick In Glass Window Of Someone's Home - Whiskey Riff - October 11th, 2022
- How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads - POLITICO - September 24th, 2022
- 'An Army of Zombies Is Leading Us to Hell': A Russian Who Fled Putin's Draft Speaks Out - The Atlantic - September 24th, 2022
- Geneva High School theater to show '10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse!' - Daily Herald - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie Wasp Pictured After Parasitic Fungi Took Over Its Body - Newsweek - September 24th, 2022
- An Malnourished Zombie Horror Tears Strips off the Streaming Ranks - We Got This Covered - September 24th, 2022
- You Can Get A Whole Daycare Of Zombie Babies Just In Time For Halloween - Totally The Bomb - September 24th, 2022
- Halloween invasion of Newquay by zombies will thrill and scare you - Cornwall Live - September 24th, 2022
- Chucky To Become A Zombie? - Giant Freakin Robot - September 24th, 2022
- TGS 2022: Hands-On with KEMCO's Upcoming Horror RPG 'Zombie of the Dot' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - September 24th, 2022
- 'The Munsters': Rob Zombie on Giving Fans the Prequel They've Been Waiting For - Blue Mountain Eagle - September 24th, 2022
- Covers Uncovered - Nick Percival's Zombie Dredd Takes The Throne For Megazine 448 | 2000 AD - 2000 AD - September 24th, 2022
- The Walking Dead's New Smart Zombies Are Rooted in the Show's First Episodes - ComicBook.com - September 24th, 2022
- Robots, NatCons, and the Zombie Apocalypse - The Bulwark - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie horror-comedy The Loneliest Boy in the World gets a trailer and poster - Flickering Myth - September 24th, 2022
- The story of how Zombie Nation became a Welsh techno anthem - Nation.Cymru - September 24th, 2022
- Visiting This Secluded Zombie Town In Texas Is One You Will Enjoy - klaq.com - September 24th, 2022
- Most bizarre September 24 Doomsday conspiracy theories from aliens & zombies to WWIII after eerie solar... - The US Sun - September 24th, 2022
- Do you have 'zombie trees' in your yard? Here's how to spot them - Fox Weather - September 16th, 2022
- A Zombie Idea: Saving Agricultural Water Through Technology - The Paper. - September 16th, 2022
- The Beatles' 'Helter Skelter': Why Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson Covered the Song Together - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 16th, 2022
- Drop Dead: The Cabin CoD: Zombies Meets Stranger Things - UploadVR - September 16th, 2022
- Sitges Fanpitch Sets The Hour of the Sorcerer, Zombie Meteor, Bloody Mary (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - September 16th, 2022
- Collected Is This A Zombie? Blu-ray Released Monday - Anime News Network - September 16th, 2022
- Dreamy popsicle cocktails are having a moment in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - September 16th, 2022
- The Office's Dunder Mifflin is Recreated in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake - Esquire - September 16th, 2022
- Pedro Snchez only lacks the zombies, but what would they be like? - Gearrice - September 16th, 2022
- The Asbury Park Zombie Walk 2022 is here! - 94.5 PST - September 8th, 2022
- Glaciers and "zombie ice": The planet is melting at both ends, research finds - Salon - September 8th, 2022
- Zombies are coming - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - September 8th, 2022
- Commentary: September is the time to prepare for the 'zombie apocalypse' - Standard-Examiner - September 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Games to Survive in this September 2022 - ClutchPoints - September 8th, 2022
- No zombie zone: Forest Service orders removal of reported film set in Green Canyon that went too far - The Herald Journal - September 8th, 2022
- Everyone loves a good zombie, apparently | What the Heckle? - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2022
- 'Sins of Our Mother': Lori Vallow Claimed Her Children Had Turned Into 'Zombies' Before Their Disappearance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 8th, 2022
- Zoinks! The 10 Best 'Scooby-Doo' Films, From 'Monsters Unleashed' to 'Zombie Island' - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- 13 Great Funny Movies About Vampires, Zombies, And Other Classic Monsters - CinemaBlend - September 8th, 2022
- The Munsters: This Rock Legend Is Making An Unexpected Cameo in Rob Zombies Prequel - Dread Central - September 8th, 2022
- Light House Studio's Youth Film Festival covers everything from A to zombies - The Daily Progress - September 8th, 2022
- The Greatest Zombie Movie Of All Time Is Streaming For Free - Giant Freakin Robot - August 22nd, 2022
- TV, Interrupted: Post-Zombie Apocalypse Series In The Flesh Was Buried Too Soon - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Tales of the Walking Dead' Season One, Episode Two Recap - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Zombie fungus' bursts out of a dead fly in contest-winning photo - Livescience.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Sally Phillips: How would I survive a zombie attack? Get another puppy - The Guardian - August 22nd, 2022
- Apocalypse arrives for the 'zombie' companies haunting UK growth - The Telegraph - August 22nd, 2022
- 60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer - August 22nd, 2022
- Did Congress just warn of a zombie attack? No, that video is fake, and satirical - PolitiFact - August 22nd, 2022
- 10 years ago, one incredible zombie movie redefined an entire style of film - Inverse - August 22nd, 2022
- ZOMBIE PROPERTY COUNT INCHES UP AGAIN IN THIRD QUARTER OF 2022 ACROSS U.S. AMID CONTINUED RISE IN FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY - PR Newswire - August 22nd, 2022
- I wore a metaverse suit into a terrifying Zombie VR world Im still haunted by it... - The US Sun - August 22nd, 2022
- Dungeon Munchies is an RPG platformer where you're a zombie, and worse, an unpaid intern - PC Gamer - August 22nd, 2022
- Insiders tell of 'zombie government' as Johnson lives it up in Greece on holiday - The National - August 22nd, 2022
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero