"Army of the Dead" opening.Netflix
Zombies originate from Haitian Folklore and have been in stories for centuries.
With "Night of the Living Dead," George Romero set the framework for the zombies we see in media today.
Over the last 100 years, zombies have turned from something spiritual to human-killing monsters.
Originating from Haitian folklore, the mythology of zombies has evolved significantly over the last hundred years in TV and film.
This transformation began in 1968 with George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead," the first to give zombies a craving for human flesh.
Syfy recently brought zombies back to where they began by premiering a new "Day of the Dead" series named after one of George Romero's original zombie movies. The series pays homage to Romero's zombies whilst also highlighting how much they have changed by making its zombies more grotesque.
Night of the Living Dead
The dead rise from their graves unaided for the first time in "Night of the Living Dead."Image Ten
The History Channel website reports that zombies originate from Haitian folklore and are believed to be reanimated as mindless soulless creatures and controlled by a voodoo sorcerer called a Bokor.
After being brought to the West, early zombie movies continued this myth including "White Zombie," which is regarded as the first-ever zombie movie. This changed with "Night of the Living Dead," directed by George Romero, the start of the transformation of zombies on-screen.
With Romero's 1968 movie and its sequels, the zombies had no controller or agenda except for a need to consume human flesh. Romero was the first to make every dead person part of the undead rather than a specific few and created key zombie traits such as zombie's iconic awkward shambling walking.
There are some traits that Romero can't take credit for such as brain-eating, which was introduced in the horror-comedy "The Return of the Living Dead" in 1985.
"Resident Evil" is one of the most successful game adaptation movie series.Constantin Film
In Romero's movies, people would turn into zombies regardless of whether they were bitten or not. However, the idea of a zombie virus, which started with 1992's "Dead Alive," is now a more common explanation for how the undead exist and expand their numbers.
This idea, along with fast-moving zombies, became popular after the success of "Resident Evil" and "The House of the Dead" revitalized interest in the undead in the late 20th century. Andrew Garland, the writer behind "28 days later" credited "Resident Evil" specifically as reviving the zombie genre after its release in 1996.
"Sometimes '28 Days Later' is credited with reviving the zombie genre in some respect, but actually, I think it was 'Resident Evil' that did it because I remember playing 'Resident Evil,' having not really encountered zombies for quite a while and thinking: 'Oh, my God, I love zombies! I'd forgotten how much I love zombies. These are awesome!'" Garland told the Huffington Post in 2015.
The movie adaptation of "Resident Evil" in the early 2000s, followed shortly by box-office hits "28 Days Later" and Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" remake, cemented the zombie virus and running zombies in popular culture. "The Walking Dead" is one of the few exceptions of recent zombie stories that keep the zombies slow.
Zombies tend to be more monster-like in recent zombie movies and shows including Syfy's "Day of the Dead" reboot.Sergei Bachlakov / DOTD S1 Productions / SYFY
Although zombies' change in looks in movies largely has to do with the technology and materials available for makeup and practical effects, there are vast differences between monster-like zombies as seen in "The Walking Dead" and human-like zombies as seen in "Train to Busan."
Todd Masters, an Emmy award-winning makeup effects artist who worked on the latest "Day of the Dead" Syfy series, told Insider that whilst make-up teams are trained to be able to do different types of zombies, they are not usually given the budget to do so.
"['The Walking Dead' makeup team] really put a lot of time and effort into [zombies] because they have the time and the budget. We did not, and so it kinda pulled us away from that look," Masters said about creating the look for the zombies in "Day of the Dead." "We were really looking to like Italian zombie movies. It's kind of not designed. They're messy, and they're drippy and there's fizzy shit going on."
Santa Clarita Diet
Zombies are able to pass as human in recent zombie tv shows such as "Santa Clarita Diet."Lara Solanki / Netflix
The 21st century's evolution of zombies was less to do with how zombies act. Instead, zombies are being brought into other genres such as zombie comedies, which started in 1985 with "The Return of the Living Dead," and zombie love stories, which started with 1993's "My Boyfriend's Back." This has been seen in notable zombie movies in the last 20 years like "Shaun of the Dead" and "Warm Bodies."
TV series such as "iZOMBIE" and "Santa Clarita Diet" took this one step further by humanizing their zombies, making zombies the protagonist fighting the urge to become monsters.
This all comes together with "Army of the Dead," which is in the top 10 of Netflix's most-watched original movies ever and has the most advanced zombies ever. "Army of the Dead" not only mixes the heist genre with zombies but also makes their zombies communicate with each other almost like an animal pack.
Over the 11 seasons of "The Walking Dead," audiences have seen the walkers go through several stages of decay.Josh Stringer/AMC
Zack Snyder, who directed the movie, told Insider that he particularly wanted to make his zombies "sympathetic."
"I liked this idea that the zombies aren't just killing us, they're here to replace us in some way ... like eventually there could just be a planet of the dead," Snyder said.
It seems that the next stage in evolution is making the undead human again, a trend that has been seen with every other iconic monster from aliens to vampires.
Read the original article on Insider
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Brain - tor.com - January 9th, 2022
- A big zombie blockbuster is among the movies on TV tonight - JOE.ie - January 9th, 2022
- Why its grim, but unsurprising, that the U.S. Capitol attack looked like it was out of a 'zombie movie' - The Conversation CA - January 9th, 2022
- Spyker brand set to return in 2022 like a zombie - CNET - January 9th, 2022
- How the CDC would act in a zombie outbreak - Boing Boing - January 9th, 2022
- CES Is Back in Las Vegas for 2022, and It Is a Zombie Version of Its Former Self - Daily Beast - January 9th, 2022
- 'Project Zomboid': Healing And First-Aid Guide - International Business Times - January 9th, 2022
- This B-Movie-Inspired Action-RPG Looks Like An Anime Fan's Fever Dream - Kotaku - January 9th, 2022
- Middletown Mayor Tony Perry takes office for fourth consecutive year - Asbury Park Press - January 9th, 2022
- Best Zombie Games To Play In 2022 - Tech News Today - December 27th, 2021
- Living with COVID doesnt mean being a zoomed-out zombie - Sydney Morning Herald - December 27th, 2021
- Rob Zombie, Mastodon and Mudvayne are the metal pirates of the Caribbean on the Voragos cruise - Louder - December 27th, 2021
- 'Difficult for zombies to survive in South Korea': Park Hyung-sik on what if outbreak in his K-drama Happiness occurs in real life - AsiaOne - December 27th, 2021
- Sherdogs 2021 Walkout Song of the Year - Sherdog.com - December 27th, 2021
- Every Evil Doctor Strange Marvel Has Already Introduced Before Multiverse Of Madness - FandomWire - December 27th, 2021
- What to watch on TV this Christmas Day - from Strictly to the zombie Christmas movie - Essex Live - December 27th, 2021
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War Update 1.45 Patch Notes - Attack of the Fanboy - December 14th, 2021
- The World's Coldest Inhabited Place Is Burning Because of ... - December 14th, 2021
- Rhik Samadder tries fencing: Now Im ready for the zombie apocalypse - The Guardian - December 14th, 2021
- There's An IRL Zombie Apocalypse You Can Try To Survive In Vancouver & It's Legit Scary - Narcity Canada - December 14th, 2021
- Remember When the Tri-City Americans Were on 'Z Nation', a Popular Zombie Show? - newstalk870.am - December 14th, 2021
- This Mashup of ROB ZOMBIE & The Succession Theme Is Basically Perfect - Metal Injection - December 14th, 2021
- Pennsylvania, RGGI, and the Case of the Zombie Resolution - NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) - December 14th, 2021
- Covid supports have not created 'zombie' firms - report - RTE.ie - December 14th, 2021
- Recap: Day of the Dead Episode 9 turns everyone into a detective and a suspect - SYFY WIRE - December 14th, 2021
- The 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers might be the NFLs zombie squad - Behind the Steel Curtain - December 14th, 2021
- UFC 269 video: Embedded, part 5 - Hes the Brazilian Zombie - Bloody Elbow - December 14th, 2021
- Zombie properties a growing problem in Capital Region The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - November 29th, 2021
- Yeon Sang-ho Talks Season 2 of 'Hellbound' and Third Zombie Movie - - The Nerd Stash - November 29th, 2021
- Hellbound Creator Yeon Sang-ho Details Season 2 Plans, Teases Third Zombie Movie in World of Train to Busan - Variety - November 29th, 2021
- Recap: Weddings, funerals, and sexy time: Day of the Dead Ep. 7 gets at what it means to be a human (and not a zombie) - SYFY WIRE - November 29th, 2021
- BSU professor presents on zombies and colonialism as part of Native American Heritage Month events - Bemidji Pioneer - November 29th, 2021
- America's Favorite Zombie Officer Returns on 4K with Blue Underground's Maniac Cop II and III - Critical Blast - November 29th, 2021
- Warnings of orphan and zombie wells spark debate on bonding by oil, gas companies - The Denver Post - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie river? London's Thames, once biologically dead, has been coming back to life - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Zombies to the rescue: The arcane voting rule that could save Dems antitrust agenda - POLITICO - November 13th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Confirms The Munsters Officially Shooting, Offers Tease of Logo - ComicBook.com - November 13th, 2021
- LUCE: The zombie issues of legacy preference - Yale Daily News - November 13th, 2021
- RUPCO seeks to rehabilitate and sell 10 zombie properties in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - November 13th, 2021
- Stream Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Code Orange and more from Welcome To Rockville this weekend Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 13th, 2021
- Joivan Wade Talks About Doom Patrol's Cyborg, Being A Zombie, And His Doctor Who Inspiration - Exclusive Interview - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero