Its almost Halloween, which means hordes of zombie movies are taking over TV screens across Utah. These apocalyptic fictions should remind us that as bad as COVID-19 gets, at least this virus does not turn us into brain-starved ghouls incapable of rational thought.
Or does it? What about the people who refuse to believe medical evidence that COVID-19 is a contagious and deadly disease?
These are the people who gather in tight-packed crowds dressed like every day is the Fourth of July. Unperturbed by germ theory, they listen to wild-eyed speakers tell them that COVID is a hoax, the flu, created by Bill Gates, or all three at once.
They are the same people who bulldoze past store employees imploring them to wear a mask. And they clog social media with videos from grim-faced conspiracy theorists who have figured out that every doctor, nurse, scientist, and the 226,000 Americans who have died from COVID are part of a global conspiracy by George Soros.
Could these COVID deniers be a secret army of virus-infected zombies already among us? Whether they are undead or not, the vital question raised by their existence is this: How many of them does it take to ruin the recovery for everyone else?
Even if your family wears masks, your COVID-denying neighbor can throw a super-spreader party in his backyard and render your efforts meaningless. Likewise, every new anti-mask freedom rally, business revival festival or mock rave party at Brigham Young University is delaying Utahs return normal life. Despite months of sacrifice, our progress is being held hostage by a few reckless people who believe the daily virus counts are as fake as the moon landings.
It could be different. Countries like Taiwan, New Zealand and Uruguay successful slowed community transmission of COVID-19 with a swift lockdown followed by a gradual re-opening, rapid testing and universal mask-wearing. Far from destroying their societies, all the schools in Taiwan are open, 40,000 fans filled a rugby stadium in New Zealand this month, and their industries and businesses are booming.
The claim by COVID deniers that stricter public health measures will permanently damage our economy is defeatism. The real harm to our business climate, our education system and our mental health comes from the fear and uncertainty caused by losing ground. While we watch more schools and events in Utah supernova with coronavirus cases, our friends in New Zealand and Taiwan are attending class, noshing stadium hotdogs and going out to movies.
The success of other counties shows that beating COVID-19 depends on how we respond to it. If enough people wear masks and follow public health guidance, perhaps the positive test rate could drop below the threshold that indicates control of the virus. But if only 70% of us are doing those things, the virus keeps winning. And if enough people continue to refuse public health advice even after a vaccine becomes available, the unpredictable spread of COVID-19 could continue to endanger us.
However, it is also too simple to blame COVID deniers alone for sinking Utahs chances at beating the virus. It would be like blaming the China for the nightmare we are experiencing in the United States. This deflection ignores how everyday actions by elected officials, government agencies and you and your neighbors play a role in spreading this virus, and someday, in stopping it.
One way we can beat the virus is to share a powerful antidote that is toxic to both COVID-deniers and the virus. Im referring to empathy. Some people intuitively realize the impact of their decisions on others, including those they dont know personally. As a result, they are willing to make sacrifices like wearing a mask that might be inconvenient but promote the greater good. Conversely, many COVID-deniers are unable to imagine needs beyond their own impulses and wont believe the virus is real until they are about to be hospitalized on a ventilator.
Whenever the COVID-19 vaccine is released, it will still be missing a strong dose of empathy required to make it successful. And it will be up to the rest of us to supply it, and maybe a dash of brains, too.
Jason Stevenson is a writer and resident of Salt Lake City. The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely his own.
- Every Call of Duty: Cold War zombies camo challenge - PC Gamer - November 24th, 2020
- More Zombie Companies Have Cropped Up During the Pandemic - Barron's - November 24th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead Introduces Zombies That Are Actually Scary - Screen Rant - November 24th, 2020
- The Cranberries Revisit 'No Need to Argue' and the Legacy of "Zombie" - American Songwriter - November 24th, 2020
- Have we reached peak zombie? - British GQ - November 24th, 2020
- A History of the Ray Gun in Call of Duty Zombies | Game Rant - GameRant - November 24th, 2020
- Number of zombie firms to increase more than the rise in bankruptcies Natixis - FXStreet - November 24th, 2020
- Zombie Movies Are Making a Comeback, Baby! | - Post Apocalyptic Media - November 24th, 2020
- Joining the zombie invasion is the best part of WoW's Shadowlands pre-launch event - PC Gamer - November 20th, 2020
- The Cranberries Revisit Their Hit Album No Need To Argue And The Legacy Of Zombie - Forbes - November 20th, 2020
- Will America Survive the Republican Zombie Apocalypse? - Fair Observer - November 20th, 2020
- How to get the Call of Duty: Cold War Zombies Easter egg - PC Gamer - November 20th, 2020
- Who Needs Zombies When We Have Republicans? - FPIF - Foreign Policy In Focus - November 20th, 2020
- World of Warcraft's Zombie Invasion Hits Different in 2020 - Gizmodo - November 20th, 2020
- Return Of The Zombies - Seeking Alpha - November 20th, 2020
- Netflix's Army of the Dead Zombies Are 90% Practical Promises Zack Snyder - MovieWeb - November 20th, 2020
- Minecraft Earth 0.30.0 'Season 14: Tundra' made official with new zombies and improvements - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Ryan Hall fed up with being consistently avoided, calls for fight against The Korean Zombie - MMA Fighting - November 20th, 2020
- Aventura's Zombie-Infested Halloween Drive-Thru incredible success - Miami's Community Newspapers - November 20th, 2020
- 'Army of the Dead': Zack Snyder Teases "Insane Zombie Mayhem in His Horror Movie Return - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- 'TWD: World Beyond' says space spore may have started zombie outbreak - Insider - INSIDER - November 16th, 2020
- Army Of The Deads Zombies Are 90% Practical | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- The Cranberries' "Zombie" And Its Troubled Afterlife - Stereogum - November 16th, 2020
- Will North Korea Expect Joe Biden to Pursue a Zombie Policy? - The National Interest Online - November 16th, 2020
- Beware the Market's 'Zombie Apocalypse' - DailyWealth - November 16th, 2020
- Gambit Is The Secret Savior Of Marvels Zombie Apocalypse - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Social Media Zombies and The Walking Dead - The Augusta Chronicle - November 16th, 2020
- Has the Ultimate Villain of Marvel Zombies Been Revealed? - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Black Ops Cold War Zombies - How to Use Aetherscope - Doctor Vogel's Diary + Anomaly Locations - Attack of the Fanboy - November 16th, 2020
- Zack Snyder teases Army of the Dead as genre-destroying with very practical zombies - Gamesradar - November 16th, 2020
- Ready to take next step on 'zombie' property - Gloversville Leader-Herald - November 16th, 2020
- The X-Men's Gambit is The Perfect Zombie Hunter | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies How to get the free DIE Shockwave weapon in Die Maschine - RealSport101 - November 16th, 2020
- Rob Zombie's Halloween: What Happened To The Young Michael Myers Actor - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Halloween: 5 Things Rob Zombie's Remake Kept From The Original (& 5 It Changed) - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Colin Firth Will Battle Zombies in Action Comedy New York Will Eat You Alive - MovieWeb - November 16th, 2020
- King of Eden: Another Take on the Zombie Apocalypse - Bleeding Cool News - November 9th, 2020
- Want to Fight the Zombie Fire Apocalypse? Weaponize Math. - Mother Jones - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth to star in zombie movie New York Will Eat You Alive - messenger-inquirer - November 9th, 2020
- Army of the Dead's Garret Dillahunt says the film has a fresh breed of zombie danger - Critical Hit - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth To Star In Zombie Brother Adaptation New York Will Eat You Alive From STXfilms and Tencent Pictures - Deadline - November 9th, 2020
- Zombies, Sex and Thrills: AFM Returns to Its Roots Amid Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - November 9th, 2020
- Zack Snyders Army Of The Dead Will Reinvent Movie Zombies - Screen Rant - November 9th, 2020
- Korean zombie thriller 'Peninsula' to release in India on November 27 - The New Indian Express - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth to Face Down the Undead in New York Will Eat You Alive - Gizmodo - November 9th, 2020
- ROB ZOMBIE Reveals An Unheard Fact About The Recording Process Of His Band's Final Album - MetalCastle - November 9th, 2020
- A tale of Mark Lawrenson and the Zombie football club | NUFC The Mag - The Mag - November 9th, 2020
- Opinion: When Zombies Ruled The World | - mybighornbasin - November 6th, 2020
- Want to Fight the Zombie Fire Apocalypse? Weaponize Math - WIRED - November 6th, 2020
- Why Rob Zombie Tends To Kill Off The Final Girl In His Movies - We Got This Covered - November 6th, 2020
- Calls to re-open Bedford Place in Southampton - Daily Echo - November 6th, 2020
- Naruto: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 5th, 2020
- Treyarch and Raven reveal more about Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold Wars campaign and Zombies - VentureBeat - November 5th, 2020
- ASU Professor Discusses What The History Of Zombies Can Reveal About America - KJZZ - November 5th, 2020
- Why Rob Zombie Horror Movies Often Kill Off The Final Girl - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- 10 Best Zombie Movies (Where The Outbreak Actually Ends) - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- DIE! NAMITE #2 Expands Cast, Dials Up Zombie Threat to 11 - Critical Blast - November 5th, 2020
- TOMY bolsters its licensing portfolio with Sing 2 and Plants vs Zombies toy lines - Toy News - November 5th, 2020
- Zombie Rollerz: Pinball Heroes is an upcoming pinball and tower defense hybrid that's heading for Apple Arcade - Pocket Gamer - November 5th, 2020
- One Piece: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 1st, 2020
- How the 1918 Flu Inspired Your Zombie Costume - Gizmodo - November 1st, 2020
- How to Avoid the Zombie Apocalypse at Work - Adweek - October 31st, 2020
- Dinosaurs Are Even Scarier When Theyre Zombies - WIRED - October 31st, 2020
- Zombie Apocalypse Outbreak: Where would you hide on campus? - The Scout - October 31st, 2020
- Financial Zombies And More - Seeking Alpha - October 31st, 2020
- The Zombie Pig, and Other Tales of Cabbage Stalk Night - iBerkshires.com - October 31st, 2020
- Thai woman dresses up as a zombie to sell clothes of the dead on Halloween - Gulf Today - October 31st, 2020
- Bitten by the love zombie | News | tribstar.com - Terre Haute Tribune Star - October 31st, 2020
- 'Zombie fires' a growing risk in the warming Arctic Yale Climate Connections - Yale Climate Connections - October 31st, 2020
- Zombie frogs? A ribbet-ing story of how frogs and toads survive winter - Herald Times Reporter - October 31st, 2020
- These Zombie Sites Have Been Brought Back to Life to Spew Disinformation - The Daily Beast - October 31st, 2020
- DCeased and Marvel Zombies Have Surprisingly Similar Cures for Their Undead Problems - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 31st, 2020
- Zombies, twerks and platform boots: the last week on the US campaign trail - Yahoo News - October 31st, 2020
- Forget the haunted houses this year, try a zombie safari for Halloween! - CW33 NewsFix - October 31st, 2020
- Share of zombie foreclosures rise in the fourth quarter - National Mortgage News - October 31st, 2020
- Blood snow and zombie fires: 2020's ghoulish weather phenomena - WCNC.com - October 31st, 2020
- Thai zombie seller cashes in on threads of the dead - Reuters - October 31st, 2020
- 60 best zombie movies of all time | Entertainment - Grand Island Independent - October 30th, 2020
- Survive the Zombie Apocalypse From the Comfort of Your Couch as UNTURNED Launches on Consoles This November - Gamasutra - October 30th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies Walk the Earth with New Hot Toys Cosbaby's - Bleeding Cool News - October 30th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero