Everything is dark. There's no one around. The raindrops fall heavily. Suddenly, the call it's time to dig. The man digs with his bare hands until he is covered in mud. But he keeps going. His goal is to find the enigmatic creature making that unique call a sound that has never been heard before.
At first sight, this scene could be part of a horror or a thriller movie. But it has nothing to do with the zombie apocalypse. This is how German herpetologist (an expert on amphibians and reptiles) Raffael Ernst described his experience trying to identify frogs in the Amazon. And the effort paid off.
Ernst was part of the discovery of a new species, which has been dubbed the "zombie frog."Although its orange-spotted appearance is indeed quite peculiar, the 40-millimeter (1.5 inches) amphibian is no undead monster.
"Actually, we chose this name because the researchers are the ones that look like zombies when they dig out the frogs from the ground,"recounts Ernst. The animals are usually active at night and make species-specific sounds.
German herpetologist Raffael Ernst found the frog while doing field work in Guyana
"So once you hear a new call, you can be pretty sure that you actually have new species,"he says. "And then you have to dig them up and you're muddy all over, because they are hidden underground, and they usually come out only when it's raining."
Ernst spent two years in the Amazon rainforest in Guyana, South America, mostly alone, doing field work for his PhD studies. His original goal was to investigate the impacts of human-causedloss ofbiodiversity by looking atamphibians as an example. That was when he found the frog. He describes the moment as "a mixture of knowing what to do, where to look, and a lot of luck."
Since then, Ernst has joined efforts with a group of international researchers to find out more about the animal. They ended up describing three different species, all from the same genus, called Synapturanus. The amphibians were identified acrossthe so-called Guiana Shield, which encompasses tropical rainforest areas across Guyana, French Guiana and Brazil. Little is known about the frogs since they are found in such remote places.
"It's not so easy to find them or actually collect them because they have really short activity times,"Ernst explains. Based on their research, the scientists estimate that there may be six times more species belonging to the same genus, which have not yet been spotted.
Frogs have been around for some 200 million years, during which time they have shown an ability to adapt to changing habitats. Today there are almost 5,000 species of frogs. Human activities, habitat destruction, disease, pollution, climate change, invasive species and overuse for food and pets all contribute to declining frog numbers.
The poison frog is common in parts of Central America and South America. More than 15 color variations have been recorded. The frog gets its toxicity from the insects it eats.
The masked tree frog is found in Central and South America. Similar to many frog species, it is able to change colors. The masked tree frog is usually tan colored during the day and green at night.
The red-eyed tree frog is one of the most iconic species. It lives in tropical lowlands and montane forests of Central America. The red eyes are a defense mechanism known as startle coloration. When the frog sleeps during the day its eyelids are green to match with foliage. But if approached, its eyes will flash red to scare or shock a predator.
The common frog or grass frog (Rana temporaria) is found in much of Europe. The grass frog is believed to return to the pond where it was born to breed by following scents. During breeding, a male attaches himself on the back of a female for days or weeks until she releases 1,000-2,000 eggs, or frogspawn. The male then sprays sperm on the eggs, which about two weeks later become tadpoles.
A male common grass frog attaches to the back of a female in the snow in Germany.
Once the eggs turn into tadpoles, the larvae transform over several weeks until they become frogs.
The tomato frog is native to Madagascar. It sits waiting for prey without moving until using its tongue to capture it. In order to swallow the frog must close its eyes and push them out of the sockets. They secrete an unpleasant slimy substance from the skin when attacked that helps it avoid getting eaten by predators.
In Bavaria, Germany, frogs are even graffitied on the wall. In German, frogs make the noise "Quak, quak," not "Ribbit, ribbit" as in English.
Ernst's passion for amphibians and reptiles goes way back. "I got my first snake when I was seven or so,"he says. For someone so emotionally connected to the profession, it was naturally exciting to discover a new frog. However, he clarifies that in the case of amphibians, it is not uncommon to come across new species: "The amount of newly discovered species is pretty big for vertebrates, and most of the people who do fieldwork will eventually probably come across new taxa."
But the discovery brings mixed emotions, since amphibians are among the most endangered vertebrate groups. "Whenever we discover new species, we always have in mind that we are losing species at the same time, probably more than we discover, and before we even have the chance to describe them,"Ernst says.
It is in fact possible that the zombie frog is endangered, even though it was justrecently discovered.
Amphibians such as the zombie frog are among the most endangered animals in the world, even in pristine environments such as the Guiana Shield in the Amazon
The Amazon rainforest is the world's biggest biodiversity hot spot, especially for amphibians. Most amphibian species known in the world come from the region, which is home to more than a thousand types of frogs. Because they breathe through their skin, amphibians are highly sensitive to water quality and environmental degradation, including toxic chemicals, habitat destruction, pollution, and diseases, to name a few examples. The so-called global amphibian decline,a term used by experts to designate systematic decreases in amphibian populations,indicates that around 70% of amphibian species arethreatened with extinction.This phenomenon is a warning that ecosystems, even remote ones, may be out of balance.
In the case of the Amazon, Ernst affirms that there is increasing pressure, caused by numerous human activities most of them illegal such as mining, timber extraction, logging, poaching and large-scale infrastructure projects, particularly in northern Brazil. "The threats are multiple and on top of that, we have climate change problems as well,"he says.
Humble lodgings in the Iwokrama forest in the Guiana Shield, where the researchers spent about two weeks doing field work
The Amazon's dry season, which runs from May to September, is the time of the year when deforestation peaks. Fires spread easily, as forest areas succumb toillegal activities such as logging, land-grabbing and land clearing mostly to turn the jungle into cattle pastures for agrobusiness.
According to Brazil's national space research institute (INPE), May 2021 was the third consecutive month to break deforestation records: 1,180 square kilometers (455 square miles)were lost in May alone (40% more than over the same period in 2020). And the trend looks worrying for the months to come.
"We are losing biodiversity at an unprecedented rate, and the current administration in Brazil has unfortunately been a disaster for that,"says Ernst.
Ernst reportedly found the zombie frog just a couple hundred meters from this creek in Mabura Hill
Environmentalists from Brazil the country that is home to more than two-thirds of the Amazon rainforestcontinuously denounce the purposeful weakening of official environmental protection agenciesand enforcement rules under the Bolsonaro administration. Brazil's former environment minister Ricardo Salles quit in June 2021 amid a criminal investigation of his involvement in an illegal logging scheme in the Amazon.
Environmental destructionaffects all aspects of life in the Amazon, including amphibians and possibly the zombie frog. Should its habitatconditions be altered, the species despite its name will not come back from the dead.
View original post here:
Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English)
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
- Rob Zombie's The Munsters: 9 Questions We Have About The Upcoming Movie - CinemaBlend - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Debt: One of the ways you're tricked into paying a bill you shouldn't - WFMYNews2.com - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Brings Competitive Zombies Back to the Stage - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- The best Call of Duty Zombies maps of all time - Gamepur - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol Release Time - DualShockers - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Squad - Index page - June 14th, 2021
- The Zombie Hunters - June 14th, 2021
- Top Call of Duty Zombie Games of All Time - The Game Haus - June 14th, 2021
- This week in space: Zombie stars and the corporatization of the galaxy - Chron - June 14th, 2021
- Framestore's VFX is the 'Zombie Cat's Meow' in 'Army of the Dead' - Animation World Network - June 14th, 2021
- Zack Snyder talks Army of the Dead's robot zombies and aliens - Gamesradar - June 14th, 2021
- STREAMING: ZOMBIES, MURDER AND DEVILS - DAWN.com - June 14th, 2021
- Fear the Walking Dead season 7 release date: Latest news about the zombie spin-off - Radio Times - June 14th, 2021
- The kids are back in town - Telegraph India - June 14th, 2021
- Survivors vs zombie soldiers in first pics from The Walking Dead season 11 - Winter is Coming - June 14th, 2021
- The Miz Slams Online Haters Of Out Of The Box Zombies Match - Ringside News - June 14th, 2021
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer - June 1st, 2021
- The Could You Survive This Zombie Apocalypse? Matrix - The Ringer - June 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero