[This unedited press release is made available courtesy of Gamasutra and its partnership with notable game PR-related resource GamesPress.]
As you know, MicroProse is back and is announcing its line-up bit by bit. Are you keeping count?
This time it's the turn of Urban Strife, a love letter to Tactical RPG players waiting for the next proper Jagged Alliance 2-style experience.
The game will be released in Q3 2021 on Steam (other platforms TBA) but players will have the chance to taste Urban Strife gameplay way sooner than that (hint!). In the meantime watch the brand new Teaser!
Enjoy a unique blend of old school turn-based strategy, post-Apoc survival mechanics, and a thrilling RPG storyline.
With all the benefits of the modern Unreal Engine, real bullet ballistics, day/night cycle, fire with dynamic material consumption and spread, advanced sound propagation mechanics... the list goes on: AI NPCs with independent lives and faction-basedmorals and, hunger, thirst, wounds, and sickness and last but not least, advanced modding support.
About the game
Starting as an amnesic survivor, rescued half dead by the kind people of the Urban city shelter, somewhere in backwater south of USA, you need to raise up and become a true leader, rebuild the pillaged camp and bring hope back in the hearts of the survivors.
Then venture out to negotiate alliances with ruthless factions or go to war against them.
And finally, bet everything you have and know to survive an impending return of the massive zombie horde that almost ended civilization just two years before.
Can you push back against fate, live among ruthless gangs, and fight back the zombie horde, with just a handful of ragtag militias to help you?
Urban Strife brings you the common weapon classes that you can expect to find in the context of the story, somewhere in a southern US city: handguns, shotguns, hunting, assault, and sniper rifles.
Each of these classes has special pros and cons that make them the right choice in specific situations. Handguns and shotguns, for example, excel in CQB with excellent damage. While pistols do cumulative damage due to their low AP costs, shotguns have individual pellet damage adding up and a cone of fire!
Assault rifles bring tremendous cumulative damage when used in burst mode, with frightening multi-body penetration.
Provide you can come by such expensive ammo and afford to waste it.
Old School Turn Based Tactics
Urban Strife uses a classic Action Points system (Jagged Alliance 2 style), with consecutive turns & interrupts based on skills.
But the team has also avoided the pitfalls of turn-based combat, especially against large numbers of foes. Zombies come first in this list of enemies everyone hates to wait for in TBS, because they are both numerous and slow. Hence we introduced a special turn for the horde, with a simultaneous movement for all undead, while still letting each AI take individual decisions.
You will find the Urban shelter dilapidated and in ruins, full of refugees on the brink of despair, locked down by vicious looters and roaming zombies. You need to regain control of the neighborhood fast. Start rebuilding and expanding.
You have to scavenge resources and show the locals you're the hero they waited for. Then start repairing and upgrading the shelter, hiring the residents as specialists, and using the refugees as labor. Depending on the allies you make you will be able to unlock unique upgrades that will make shelter management more and more rewarding.
Once you will start exploring, you'll find a world populated with living, busy NPCs, with their own life and convictions. Among these, you're to find those willing to help you - provided you help them first. And as long as you serve their interests. Because in Urban Strife everyone has an agenda.
Three main factions are fighting for control through numerous proxy groups in the town. Army rebels, a zombie loving cult, and a ruthless gang of bikers. You're free to choose one of them as an ally. But be aware - no path will be easy or morally justified - an apocalypse comes with a dire lack of innocence.
It is all about survival. And being able to live with your choices.
Body Parts Targeting
If you feel accurate you can aim for specific body parts for either instant kills or crippling shots; that can make hunting and sniper rifles true long-range exterminators.
How much fun you have depends on which side of the barrel you end up...
Melee Attack Modes
The ranged arsenal is complemented by a wide array of stuff that can be used to smash, slash and punch - basically almost anything that can be wielded as a melee weapon in Urban Strife is a melee weapon.
The melee combat is based on stamina management - the more tired you get, the less you will be able to dodge hits. And comes with its own array for special moves, for certain popular weapons
About White Pond Games
White Pond Games was founded by Razvan Radu and Alex Trutescu, both ex-Ubisoft game devs, with a work portfolio of popular titles, such as Assassins Creed series, Tom Clancys games (Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Endwar, etc.), I Am Alive, ZombieU, etc.
We are a small indie gamedev studio based in Bucharest, Romania, but we dare to dream big. We have the know-how to produce great games and were keen to show it.
MicroProse, founded in 1982, is a world-famous simulation software company, known for developing groundbreaking, classics and cult titles like, the Falcon, F15 Strike Eagle, Silent Service, Gunship, Grand Prix, Civilization, B-17 The Mighty Eighth and X-COM series and many more simulation products, that sold millions of copies each at retail.
Today, MicroProse is not only remaking select classics from its past but also paving the road to next-generation, state of the art games that will create the memories and experiences of the demanding new generations of gamers.
- Every Call of Duty: Cold War zombies camo challenge - PC Gamer - November 24th, 2020
- More Zombie Companies Have Cropped Up During the Pandemic - Barron's - November 24th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead Introduces Zombies That Are Actually Scary - Screen Rant - November 24th, 2020
- The Cranberries Revisit 'No Need to Argue' and the Legacy of "Zombie" - American Songwriter - November 24th, 2020
- Have we reached peak zombie? - British GQ - November 24th, 2020
- A History of the Ray Gun in Call of Duty Zombies | Game Rant - GameRant - November 24th, 2020
- Number of zombie firms to increase more than the rise in bankruptcies Natixis - FXStreet - November 24th, 2020
- Zombie Movies Are Making a Comeback, Baby! | - Post Apocalyptic Media - November 24th, 2020
- Joining the zombie invasion is the best part of WoW's Shadowlands pre-launch event - PC Gamer - November 20th, 2020
- The Cranberries Revisit Their Hit Album No Need To Argue And The Legacy Of Zombie - Forbes - November 20th, 2020
- Will America Survive the Republican Zombie Apocalypse? - Fair Observer - November 20th, 2020
- How to get the Call of Duty: Cold War Zombies Easter egg - PC Gamer - November 20th, 2020
- Who Needs Zombies When We Have Republicans? - FPIF - Foreign Policy In Focus - November 20th, 2020
- World of Warcraft's Zombie Invasion Hits Different in 2020 - Gizmodo - November 20th, 2020
- Return Of The Zombies - Seeking Alpha - November 20th, 2020
- Netflix's Army of the Dead Zombies Are 90% Practical Promises Zack Snyder - MovieWeb - November 20th, 2020
- Minecraft Earth 0.30.0 'Season 14: Tundra' made official with new zombies and improvements - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Ryan Hall fed up with being consistently avoided, calls for fight against The Korean Zombie - MMA Fighting - November 20th, 2020
- Aventura's Zombie-Infested Halloween Drive-Thru incredible success - Miami's Community Newspapers - November 20th, 2020
- 'Army of the Dead': Zack Snyder Teases "Insane Zombie Mayhem in His Horror Movie Return - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- 'TWD: World Beyond' says space spore may have started zombie outbreak - Insider - INSIDER - November 16th, 2020
- Army Of The Deads Zombies Are 90% Practical | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- The Cranberries' "Zombie" And Its Troubled Afterlife - Stereogum - November 16th, 2020
- Will North Korea Expect Joe Biden to Pursue a Zombie Policy? - The National Interest Online - November 16th, 2020
- Beware the Market's 'Zombie Apocalypse' - DailyWealth - November 16th, 2020
- Gambit Is The Secret Savior Of Marvels Zombie Apocalypse - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Social Media Zombies and The Walking Dead - The Augusta Chronicle - November 16th, 2020
- Has the Ultimate Villain of Marvel Zombies Been Revealed? - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Black Ops Cold War Zombies - How to Use Aetherscope - Doctor Vogel's Diary + Anomaly Locations - Attack of the Fanboy - November 16th, 2020
- Zack Snyder teases Army of the Dead as genre-destroying with very practical zombies - Gamesradar - November 16th, 2020
- Ready to take next step on 'zombie' property - Gloversville Leader-Herald - November 16th, 2020
- The X-Men's Gambit is The Perfect Zombie Hunter | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies How to get the free DIE Shockwave weapon in Die Maschine - RealSport101 - November 16th, 2020
- Rob Zombie's Halloween: What Happened To The Young Michael Myers Actor - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Halloween: 5 Things Rob Zombie's Remake Kept From The Original (& 5 It Changed) - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Colin Firth Will Battle Zombies in Action Comedy New York Will Eat You Alive - MovieWeb - November 16th, 2020
- King of Eden: Another Take on the Zombie Apocalypse - Bleeding Cool News - November 9th, 2020
- Want to Fight the Zombie Fire Apocalypse? Weaponize Math. - Mother Jones - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth to star in zombie movie New York Will Eat You Alive - messenger-inquirer - November 9th, 2020
- Army of the Dead's Garret Dillahunt says the film has a fresh breed of zombie danger - Critical Hit - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth To Star In Zombie Brother Adaptation New York Will Eat You Alive From STXfilms and Tencent Pictures - Deadline - November 9th, 2020
- Zombies, Sex and Thrills: AFM Returns to Its Roots Amid Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - November 9th, 2020
- Zack Snyders Army Of The Dead Will Reinvent Movie Zombies - Screen Rant - November 9th, 2020
- Korean zombie thriller 'Peninsula' to release in India on November 27 - The New Indian Express - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth to Face Down the Undead in New York Will Eat You Alive - Gizmodo - November 9th, 2020
- ROB ZOMBIE Reveals An Unheard Fact About The Recording Process Of His Band's Final Album - MetalCastle - November 9th, 2020
- A tale of Mark Lawrenson and the Zombie football club | NUFC The Mag - The Mag - November 9th, 2020
- Opinion: When Zombies Ruled The World | - mybighornbasin - November 6th, 2020
- Want to Fight the Zombie Fire Apocalypse? Weaponize Math - WIRED - November 6th, 2020
- Why Rob Zombie Tends To Kill Off The Final Girl In His Movies - We Got This Covered - November 6th, 2020
- Calls to re-open Bedford Place in Southampton - Daily Echo - November 6th, 2020
- Naruto: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 5th, 2020
- Treyarch and Raven reveal more about Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold Wars campaign and Zombies - VentureBeat - November 5th, 2020
- ASU Professor Discusses What The History Of Zombies Can Reveal About America - KJZZ - November 5th, 2020
- Why Rob Zombie Horror Movies Often Kill Off The Final Girl - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- 10 Best Zombie Movies (Where The Outbreak Actually Ends) - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- DIE! NAMITE #2 Expands Cast, Dials Up Zombie Threat to 11 - Critical Blast - November 5th, 2020
- TOMY bolsters its licensing portfolio with Sing 2 and Plants vs Zombies toy lines - Toy News - November 5th, 2020
- Zombie Rollerz: Pinball Heroes is an upcoming pinball and tower defense hybrid that's heading for Apple Arcade - Pocket Gamer - November 5th, 2020
- One Piece: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 1st, 2020
- How the 1918 Flu Inspired Your Zombie Costume - Gizmodo - November 1st, 2020
- How to Avoid the Zombie Apocalypse at Work - Adweek - October 31st, 2020
- Dinosaurs Are Even Scarier When Theyre Zombies - WIRED - October 31st, 2020
- Zombie Apocalypse Outbreak: Where would you hide on campus? - The Scout - October 31st, 2020
- Financial Zombies And More - Seeking Alpha - October 31st, 2020
- The Zombie Pig, and Other Tales of Cabbage Stalk Night - iBerkshires.com - October 31st, 2020
- Thai woman dresses up as a zombie to sell clothes of the dead on Halloween - Gulf Today - October 31st, 2020
- Bitten by the love zombie | News | tribstar.com - Terre Haute Tribune Star - October 31st, 2020
- 'Zombie fires' a growing risk in the warming Arctic Yale Climate Connections - Yale Climate Connections - October 31st, 2020
- Zombie frogs? A ribbet-ing story of how frogs and toads survive winter - Herald Times Reporter - October 31st, 2020
- These Zombie Sites Have Been Brought Back to Life to Spew Disinformation - The Daily Beast - October 31st, 2020
- DCeased and Marvel Zombies Have Surprisingly Similar Cures for Their Undead Problems - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 31st, 2020
- Zombies, twerks and platform boots: the last week on the US campaign trail - Yahoo News - October 31st, 2020
- Forget the haunted houses this year, try a zombie safari for Halloween! - CW33 NewsFix - October 31st, 2020
- Share of zombie foreclosures rise in the fourth quarter - National Mortgage News - October 31st, 2020
- Blood snow and zombie fires: 2020's ghoulish weather phenomena - WCNC.com - October 31st, 2020
- Thai zombie seller cashes in on threads of the dead - Reuters - October 31st, 2020
- 60 best zombie movies of all time | Entertainment - Grand Island Independent - October 30th, 2020
- Survive the Zombie Apocalypse From the Comfort of Your Couch as UNTURNED Launches on Consoles This November - Gamasutra - October 30th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies Walk the Earth with New Hot Toys Cosbaby's - Bleeding Cool News - October 30th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero