President Pedro Sanchez declared on September 13 in an interview for RTVE that, except for one zombie invasion, the Government of Spain has had to deal with a multitude of unprecedented situations in recent years. And how right you are. A global pandemic, a storm that left a good part of the country buried in snow, a volcano There have been many unusual catastrophes that he has had to deal with in this legislature. Logically, he joked about the zombie part, but the truth is that in other countries they dont see it as something so unlikely.
Without going further, USA has its own guide on how to survive a zombie apocalypse. This includes data such as the items you must have an emergency kitthe list of contacts that should always be at hand or certain methods to design an evacuation route.
Actually, designing a zombie emergency plan is quite extreme. But, if we let the imagination run wild, what would zombies be like if they actually existed? Or rather, what exactly would happen to them? There are many virusas well as others pathogenic microbes, which can cause diseases with symptoms similar to those of fictional zombies. But there are especially two that are quite striking: the rabies virus and the toxoplasmosis protozoan.
Before talking about the pathogens that could trigger a zombie apocalypse, it is worth remembering the measures against these creatures planned by USA.
According to him Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the emergency kit before a zombie apocalypse should include water, non-perishable food, medications, tools and supplies, such as a knife or battery-powered radio, hygiene supplies, such as soap, bleach, or towels, and bedding and personal clothing. In addition, important documents, such as an identification document or drivers license, should be at hand. You never know when you might need it.
As for the quantities, they are also important. For example, in the case of water, there must be one gallon per day for each person. Or, what is the same, just over 3.7 liters.
Also, agree on a meeting place with friends and family and plan your evacuation so that nothing is left to chance when the zombies arrive.
When talking about zombies and what they would be like in real life, it is inevitable to think of the rabies virus, more than anything because its symptoms, when the disease is sufficiently advanced, are quite similar to that of zombies.
It is a virus that affects the central nervous systemcausing fatal encephalitis in the 100% of cases. Fortunately, there is a very effective vaccine, which can be administered during the incubation period, before the disease reaches its face. In that case, the probability of salvation is very high.
Symptoms start out similar to the flu, with fever, weakness, and headache. However, once the disease begins to progress and reaches the central nervous system, behavioral symptoms begin. Infected people show up confused, with anxiety, hallucinations, paralysis and violent behavior.
The latter, in reality, is the way the virus spreads. Among its hosts are common animals such as dogs, whose violent behaviors are usually accompanied by bites. Viral particles are found in saliva. Therefore, the more violence, the more bites and the better the pathogen will spread. Lets not forget that zombies infect their victims through bites, so we have another reason why it could be compared.
Another important symptom in this regard is hydrophobia. Patients with the rabies virus often show reluctance to drink water. This also facilitates the expansion of the pathogen, since the saliva would be diluted with water and fewer viral particles would be passed in each bite.
It should be noted that all these symptoms begin after a incubation period which can range from more than a week to a year. At that time there is still time to administer the vaccine or an antibody-based treatment. Once that incubation period passes, there has only been one case in the history of a person who has survived.
Is about Jeanna Giesse, a 15-year-old girl who was bitten by a bat in Wisconsin, United States, in 2004. Her mother cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide and did not give it much importance. However, 37 days later, the young woman began to show symptoms of the rabies virus. When she was taken to the hospital, the professionals who treated her chose to induce a coma. Thus, perhaps her immune system could be fully employed in fighting the infection before it reached the brain and reached the fatal stage.
After seven days, during which they were administering antiviral drugs, Jeanna woke up from her coma, fully recovered. To this day it is not known exactly how she was saved. Her idea is that, by putting her brain in that resting state, she protected herself so that her own body would fight the disease. However, it is also believed that her immune system may be specially prepared to fight rabies or that she was infected with a weaker variant of the virus.
What is clear is that the symptoms of the zombies in the movies indicate that they could have a virus similar to rabies, but not exactly that. It is enough to see that Jeanna took more than a month to manifest symptoms and that some people take a whole year. In the movies, once the zombie bites a human, the human is automatically lost. It could be a mutated rabies virus, but lets leave the imagination at this point and look at the next option.
Toxoplasmosis is usually conceived as a disease that only affects pregnant women, but it is much more than that. The protozoan that causes it, Toxoplasma gondii, is a true master of mind control. Although he has no conscience, logically.
Their preferred hosts are cats. It is in your body where it reproduces best; so, although it infects other species, its primary objective is to reach them. For this reason, when he arrives at the nervous system of their hosts, manipulates them to take him to his destination. For example, it has been observed that infected mice are attracted to the cat urine odor. And they dont run away when one of them approaches, as you might expect. Thus, they become easy prey for those kittens who do not know that, deep down, they are the victim of a greater evil. Something similar also happens with chimpanzees, which they lose any fear of leopards.
In the case of humans, the disease often passes unnoticed. Only developing fetuses are especially vulnerable, which is why a great control of the disease is carried out in pregnant women. But even so, some people can also have symptoms. And those may be related precisely to a increased aggressiveness and lack of impulse control. It has even been found to be related to some psychotic outbreaks.
Therefore, we could consider this protozoan as another good zombie maker. The result is not as similar as that of rage, but we are really here to imagine. Because no, zombies, as they are described in cinema and literature, do not exist. In principle, Pedro Snchez can rest easy.
See original here:
Pedro Snchez only lacks the zombies, but what would they be like? - Gearrice
- Edmonton is where you want to be when the zombie apocalypse comes, study finds - National Post - March 23rd, 2023
- John Hennigan on Zombie Lumberjack Match: Damian Priests Reaction and Getting Ribbed By A Zombie - Fightful - March 6th, 2023
- The 30 Essential Zombie Movies to Watch - Rotten Tomatoes - February 18th, 2023
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
- Terrifying Rabid Zombie Coyote Attempts To Kick In Glass Window Of Someone's Home - Whiskey Riff - October 11th, 2022
- How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads - POLITICO - September 24th, 2022
- Get ready for the zombie apocalypse | UNC-Chapel Hill - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - September 24th, 2022
- 'An Army of Zombies Is Leading Us to Hell': A Russian Who Fled Putin's Draft Speaks Out - The Atlantic - September 24th, 2022
- Geneva High School theater to show '10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse!' - Daily Herald - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie Wasp Pictured After Parasitic Fungi Took Over Its Body - Newsweek - September 24th, 2022
- An Malnourished Zombie Horror Tears Strips off the Streaming Ranks - We Got This Covered - September 24th, 2022
- You Can Get A Whole Daycare Of Zombie Babies Just In Time For Halloween - Totally The Bomb - September 24th, 2022
- Halloween invasion of Newquay by zombies will thrill and scare you - Cornwall Live - September 24th, 2022
- Chucky To Become A Zombie? - Giant Freakin Robot - September 24th, 2022
- TGS 2022: Hands-On with KEMCO's Upcoming Horror RPG 'Zombie of the Dot' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - September 24th, 2022
- 'The Munsters': Rob Zombie on Giving Fans the Prequel They've Been Waiting For - Blue Mountain Eagle - September 24th, 2022
- Covers Uncovered - Nick Percival's Zombie Dredd Takes The Throne For Megazine 448 | 2000 AD - 2000 AD - September 24th, 2022
- The Walking Dead's New Smart Zombies Are Rooted in the Show's First Episodes - ComicBook.com - September 24th, 2022
- Robots, NatCons, and the Zombie Apocalypse - The Bulwark - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie horror-comedy The Loneliest Boy in the World gets a trailer and poster - Flickering Myth - September 24th, 2022
- The story of how Zombie Nation became a Welsh techno anthem - Nation.Cymru - September 24th, 2022
- Visiting This Secluded Zombie Town In Texas Is One You Will Enjoy - klaq.com - September 24th, 2022
- Most bizarre September 24 Doomsday conspiracy theories from aliens & zombies to WWIII after eerie solar... - The US Sun - September 24th, 2022
- Do you have 'zombie trees' in your yard? Here's how to spot them - Fox Weather - September 16th, 2022
- A Zombie Idea: Saving Agricultural Water Through Technology - The Paper. - September 16th, 2022
- The Beatles' 'Helter Skelter': Why Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson Covered the Song Together - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 16th, 2022
- Drop Dead: The Cabin CoD: Zombies Meets Stranger Things - UploadVR - September 16th, 2022
- Sitges Fanpitch Sets The Hour of the Sorcerer, Zombie Meteor, Bloody Mary (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - September 16th, 2022
- Collected Is This A Zombie? Blu-ray Released Monday - Anime News Network - September 16th, 2022
- Dreamy popsicle cocktails are having a moment in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - September 16th, 2022
- The Office's Dunder Mifflin is Recreated in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake - Esquire - September 16th, 2022
- The Asbury Park Zombie Walk 2022 is here! - 94.5 PST - September 8th, 2022
- Glaciers and "zombie ice": The planet is melting at both ends, research finds - Salon - September 8th, 2022
- Zombies are coming - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - September 8th, 2022
- Commentary: September is the time to prepare for the 'zombie apocalypse' - Standard-Examiner - September 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Games to Survive in this September 2022 - ClutchPoints - September 8th, 2022
- No zombie zone: Forest Service orders removal of reported film set in Green Canyon that went too far - The Herald Journal - September 8th, 2022
- Everyone loves a good zombie, apparently | What the Heckle? - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2022
- 'Sins of Our Mother': Lori Vallow Claimed Her Children Had Turned Into 'Zombies' Before Their Disappearance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 8th, 2022
- Zoinks! The 10 Best 'Scooby-Doo' Films, From 'Monsters Unleashed' to 'Zombie Island' - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- 13 Great Funny Movies About Vampires, Zombies, And Other Classic Monsters - CinemaBlend - September 8th, 2022
- The Munsters: This Rock Legend Is Making An Unexpected Cameo in Rob Zombies Prequel - Dread Central - September 8th, 2022
- Light House Studio's Youth Film Festival covers everything from A to zombies - The Daily Progress - September 8th, 2022
- The Greatest Zombie Movie Of All Time Is Streaming For Free - Giant Freakin Robot - August 22nd, 2022
- TV, Interrupted: Post-Zombie Apocalypse Series In The Flesh Was Buried Too Soon - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Tales of the Walking Dead' Season One, Episode Two Recap - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Zombie fungus' bursts out of a dead fly in contest-winning photo - Livescience.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Sally Phillips: How would I survive a zombie attack? Get another puppy - The Guardian - August 22nd, 2022
- Apocalypse arrives for the 'zombie' companies haunting UK growth - The Telegraph - August 22nd, 2022
- 60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer - August 22nd, 2022
- Did Congress just warn of a zombie attack? No, that video is fake, and satirical - PolitiFact - August 22nd, 2022
- 10 years ago, one incredible zombie movie redefined an entire style of film - Inverse - August 22nd, 2022
- ZOMBIE PROPERTY COUNT INCHES UP AGAIN IN THIRD QUARTER OF 2022 ACROSS U.S. AMID CONTINUED RISE IN FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY - PR Newswire - August 22nd, 2022
- I wore a metaverse suit into a terrifying Zombie VR world Im still haunted by it... - The US Sun - August 22nd, 2022
- Dungeon Munchies is an RPG platformer where you're a zombie, and worse, an unpaid intern - PC Gamer - August 22nd, 2022
- Insiders tell of 'zombie government' as Johnson lives it up in Greece on holiday - The National - August 22nd, 2022
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
- The Future of 'The Walking Dead' Universe Will Be Characterized By a New Zombie Variant - Pajiba Entertainment News - August 14th, 2022
- Inside the abandoned 'zombie like' cottage left untouched since a heartbreaking tragedy - The Mirror - August 14th, 2022
- Time traveller from 2906 claims world will face a plague of zombie pigs later this year - Daily Star - August 14th, 2022
- Tearful Martin Lewis slams 'zombie' Government for crisis as bad as pandemic - Wales Online - August 14th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero