The Hour of the Sorcerer, Zombie Meteor and Bloody Mary feature among a powerful lineup of 16 titles at the 2022 Sitges Fanpitch, an anticipated pitching event for sci-fi, fantastic and horror features and series.
Sitges Fanpitch runs Oct. 10-13 at the Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia, a Mecca for fandom worldwide.
The pitching session comes as genre is building for independents as one of the two pillars of a residual theatrical film business and sci-fi and fantasy remain a top original production choice on Netflix and other platforms.
Sitges Fanpitch frames emerging talent. Only five are not first-time directors, most notably Argentinas Cristian Ponce, behind Sorcerer, whose History of the Occult was the highest-rated horror title for Letterboxds 2021 Year in Review.
Genre is ever more broadening its artistic options. Fanpitchs sci-fi offer, for example, take in critiques of stereotypes of ableism (Newfall) and the social wealth gap (Reboot), sci-fi, gothic and noir (The Next Testament), a coming of age survival thriller (Fingernail) and even, in a bold mash-up, sci-fi and zombies, a rare combination (Zombie Meteor).
Zombie MeteorCourtesy of Paramotion Films
Notable titles, from women and men directors alike, have a strong feminist slant. Spaniard Joseph Dazs Bloody Mary, for instance, sees Mary beaten to death by a cult leader, then possessed by the vengeful spirit of ancestor Helena, burnt at the stake for witchcraft.
Another buzz title, Upiro, an 18th century monastery thriller from rated Spanish directed Oscar Martn (Amigo), gives an opportunity to show the social context of this era and explain why many women were sent to convents against their will, said Martn.
Lucid, coming off good word at Fantasias Frontires Co-Production Market, sees a 1994 art school riot grrrr battle to find her true (and a rather monstrous) self.
XYZ Films, Yellow Veil Pictures and Blue Underground, among many others, have confirmed attendance.
Feature film winners receive travel grants to a choice of key genre markets Fantasias Frontires, Bucheons NAFF and Blood Window at Ventana Sur. Selected projects in the TV series category will be able to attend theShowrunners LAB seminar and receive individual mentoring from Ruth Garca, Federico Durn Amorocho and Bjrn Hylnur Haraldsson. The winner receives a 2,500 ($2,500) prize for series development.
Directors Michele Fiascaris, Oscar Martn & Silvia ConesaCourtesy of
Sitges Fanpitch winners, both the guests and four winners will be invited to Its Bloody Green, a training event on sustainable, ecological and inclusive film production, running Oct. 11-12 at the Festival.
The 2022 Sitges Fanpitch Lineup
Bloody Mary,(Joseph Daz, Spain)
Building on his short, The 6 Relics of Helena Mason, Bloody Mary shows us that trauma travels through generations until someone is strong enough to take all that pain and heal it, Diz toldVariety. The film deals with very primal themes like toxic relationships, gender violence, cults and control and ultimately revenge and like the poster line says: Revenge always needs blood, he added.
Bloody MaryCourtesy of Joseph Daz
Fingernail,(Tziporen, Boaz Armoni, Israel)
Produced by Yoav Roeh and Aurit Zamir at Tel Avivs Gum Films, set in a world where Simulacras, unkillable, untraceable monsters who look exactly like humans, have almost wiped out mankind. Sheltering in a forest, Ruby (44), Ben (15) trap any intruder, burying them alive. Sometimes people can be monsters, commented Armoni (The Electrifiers).
Krampusnacht,(Peter Hengl, Austria)
Set at Austrias Krampus Night, where long men dress up as a Krampus first satyr, a brother and sister feeler more attracted to the mysterious leader of a Krampus group. Krampusnacht is about the toxic masculinity that permeates a lot of tradition and culture, a story about accepting and transforming into your darkest desires, says Hengl. Austrias Capra Film produces, as on Newfall. Dread Central hailed Hengls Family Dinner as a stunning debut.
Lucid,(Deanna Milligan, Ramsey Fendall, Canada)
A riot grrrr at a 1994 art school takes a lucid dreaming elixir which materializes her inner demons as monsters which she has to battle one by one. Produced by Stacey Kerr at Canadas Sublunar Films, Our approach is hyper visual and highly stylized, fuelled by colorfully riotous giallo celluloid expressionism, teenage angst, a kinetic stream-of-consciousness editing style, ASMR-inspired sound design and a killer soundtrack with Riot Grrrl inspired tunes, said directors Milligan and Kerr).
LucidCourtesy of Sublunar Films
The Next Testament,(El Futuro Testamento, Velasco Broca, Spain)
From Broca, whose short, Alegras riojanas, plays Austins Fantastic Fest and Sitges, a fantasy-laced time-traveling debut. In 1981, two weeks after a military coup in Spain, the chorus of a famous song mysteriously disappears from the master and from all copies sold. Its singer must travel to the past to recover it. Project updates and mixes three of the most vibrant genres of the 40s and 50s: the noir, gothic terror and science-fiction, Broca toldVariety.
Rain Catcher,(Michele Fiascaris, U.K.)
A lonely Instagrammer photographer with a ken for intimate sneak shots gets a taste of his own medicine when hes stalked by a voyeur. The short won a 2020 Sitges Silver Melis. The feature, described by Fiascaris as an intense, nail-biting thriller and story of revenge and redemption, is produced by co-writer Filippo Polesel at Yellow Pill, London.
Zombie Meteor,(Jos Luis Farias, Alfonso Fulgencio, Spain)
An animated feature splatter fest come disaster movie as a meteor packed by living dead hits the International Space Station. The prequel short bows at this months Austin Fantastic Fest. Directed by Farias and Fulgencio, founders of animation producer-event organizer Paramotion Films, behind the Quirino Awards and Weird Market.
Ataxia,(,Christina Tryphonos, Cyprus)
Cyprus; on the surface, the idyllic tourist destination, but in truth, a haven of crime and corruption, the synopsis states. Enter Zoe, Makis and Foivos. A chance meeting and a rescue they pull off together stirs their vigilantism, and their desire to halt Cyprus decline. From Andreas Phylatou at Black Lemon and Tryphonos, an experienced TV director (Santa Yolanda), who promises action, crime, drama and a dose of black comedy.
AtaxiaCourtesy of Black Lemon
System Failure,(Fallo de Sistema, Silvia Conesa, Spain)
Conceived as a series/feature, everyday stories that alternate thriller, dark comedy and horror, with characters will be pushed to the limit by the system, crossing the thin line between the real and the fantastic, Conesa toldVariety. Writer-director of shorts Evstrnger (Morbido), Polvotron 500 (L.A. Shorts) and Hamelin (London Sci-Fi), she is currently looking to attach a producer, she added.
Newfall,(Stefano Nurra, Austria)
From Lola Basara, Marc Schlegel and Peter Hengl at Austrias Capra Film. In the derelict town of Newfall, Anna, a young wheelchair user with muscular dystrophy, unearths the local, abandoned workhouses folklore: it is haunted by a dark spirit able to cure the invalids, the synopsis runs. Newfall is a modern, emotionally-driven horror series that explores the stereotypes of ableism as Anna struggles with a malevolent entity hellbent on convincing her she needs to be fixed, says Nurra.
Nycto,(Itziar Martnez, U.S.)
Created and written by Itziar Martnez, In Miami, a tenacious photojournalist searching for her sister, victim of a human trafficking ring, is forced to become a key player in a conspiracy involving angelic and demonic forces in order to stop the apocalypse. Barroeta is first attached director. A strong female lead and diverse ensemble cast exploring the power of music and themes of self discovery, modern misogyny, and the meaning of evil, Martnez toldVariety.
Super-Over,(Superada, Ainhoa Menndez, Spain)
A family comedy with a pregnant superheroine, said Menndez, Clara hides from Luis her identity as Electric Woman, the worlds only women super-heroin. When she gets pregnant, she confronts physical and emotional changes while still having to save the world. From production house Elamedia Estudios, producer Nuria Landete and director Ainhoa Menndez, the same team behind ECAM Incubator title In The Flesh.
Sitges Fanpitch Guests
The Hour of the Sorcerer,(La hora de los brujos, Cristin Ponce, Argentina)
From Ponce, one of Latin Americas most sought-after creators after The Kirlian Frequency and History of the Occult: Robbers break into a bank in the Argentine sticks, their goal, in a personal deposit box, a supernatural tool to escape from reality. Our approach originates from a combination of haunted houses and ghost stories in the style of M.R. James, and crime movies in line with 1970s New Hollywood, as Dog Day Afternoon and The French Connection, Ponce said. Tangram Cine; En el Reino Cine produce.
Upiro,(Oscar Martn, Spain)
Based on Spains first case of vampirism documented by the Catholic Church, in Spain, 1755, a young woman is sent to a cloistered monastery where several novices suffer a strange blood disease. Everything seems to point to an ancient tale that the new Enlightenment society would rather keep out of sight: A bloodthirsty upire Slavic for vampire seems to have infiltrated the monastery. Produced by Elena Muoz at El Ojo Mecnico, a big triple winner at Ventana Surs 2021 Blood Window.
UpiroCourtesy of El Ojo Mecnico
Reboot,(Kim Sooyoung, South Korea)
A crime thriller created by obsession and disparity and love story of a new mankind in a new era, said producer Kim Dong Hwan at Owl Productions. In the future, a Reborn Medical Center (RMC) extends the human lifespan to 150 years and facilitates gender change. A Sitges Fanpitch prize winner at Julys BiFan NAFF Project Market.
A Boy-Shaped Void,(Lucas Amann)
A Sitges Fanpitch prize winner at the Frontires Co-Production Market in July, with an otherworldly queer virus infecting a gay high schooler after his hookup with an older man, uniting their bodies. Written-directed by Lucas Amann, behind Peopling with over 2.3 million subs on Alter. Producing: Daniel Brandt, Dane Eckerle via Bad Grey (I Love My Dad), and Lee Stobby (Sister Aimee) at new banner 2B Contd.Two-time Academy Award nominee Arjen Tuiten (Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil, Wonder) attached for special effects makeup. This is the story of a boy who finds the strength and self-compassion to expel his demons, Amann said.
Directors Joseph Diaz, Ainhoa Menendez & Lucas Amann
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
- Terrifying Rabid Zombie Coyote Attempts To Kick In Glass Window Of Someone's Home - Whiskey Riff - October 11th, 2022
- How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads - POLITICO - September 24th, 2022
- Get ready for the zombie apocalypse | UNC-Chapel Hill - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - September 24th, 2022
- 'An Army of Zombies Is Leading Us to Hell': A Russian Who Fled Putin's Draft Speaks Out - The Atlantic - September 24th, 2022
- Geneva High School theater to show '10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse!' - Daily Herald - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie Wasp Pictured After Parasitic Fungi Took Over Its Body - Newsweek - September 24th, 2022
- An Malnourished Zombie Horror Tears Strips off the Streaming Ranks - We Got This Covered - September 24th, 2022
- You Can Get A Whole Daycare Of Zombie Babies Just In Time For Halloween - Totally The Bomb - September 24th, 2022
- Halloween invasion of Newquay by zombies will thrill and scare you - Cornwall Live - September 24th, 2022
- Chucky To Become A Zombie? - Giant Freakin Robot - September 24th, 2022
- TGS 2022: Hands-On with KEMCO's Upcoming Horror RPG 'Zombie of the Dot' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - September 24th, 2022
- 'The Munsters': Rob Zombie on Giving Fans the Prequel They've Been Waiting For - Blue Mountain Eagle - September 24th, 2022
- Covers Uncovered - Nick Percival's Zombie Dredd Takes The Throne For Megazine 448 | 2000 AD - 2000 AD - September 24th, 2022
- The Walking Dead's New Smart Zombies Are Rooted in the Show's First Episodes - ComicBook.com - September 24th, 2022
- Robots, NatCons, and the Zombie Apocalypse - The Bulwark - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie horror-comedy The Loneliest Boy in the World gets a trailer and poster - Flickering Myth - September 24th, 2022
- The story of how Zombie Nation became a Welsh techno anthem - Nation.Cymru - September 24th, 2022
- Visiting This Secluded Zombie Town In Texas Is One You Will Enjoy - klaq.com - September 24th, 2022
- Most bizarre September 24 Doomsday conspiracy theories from aliens & zombies to WWIII after eerie solar... - The US Sun - September 24th, 2022
- Do you have 'zombie trees' in your yard? Here's how to spot them - Fox Weather - September 16th, 2022
- A Zombie Idea: Saving Agricultural Water Through Technology - The Paper. - September 16th, 2022
- The Beatles' 'Helter Skelter': Why Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson Covered the Song Together - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 16th, 2022
- Drop Dead: The Cabin CoD: Zombies Meets Stranger Things - UploadVR - September 16th, 2022
- Collected Is This A Zombie? Blu-ray Released Monday - Anime News Network - September 16th, 2022
- Dreamy popsicle cocktails are having a moment in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - September 16th, 2022
- The Office's Dunder Mifflin is Recreated in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake - Esquire - September 16th, 2022
- Pedro Snchez only lacks the zombies, but what would they be like? - Gearrice - September 16th, 2022
- The Asbury Park Zombie Walk 2022 is here! - 94.5 PST - September 8th, 2022
- Glaciers and "zombie ice": The planet is melting at both ends, research finds - Salon - September 8th, 2022
- Zombies are coming - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - September 8th, 2022
- Commentary: September is the time to prepare for the 'zombie apocalypse' - Standard-Examiner - September 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Games to Survive in this September 2022 - ClutchPoints - September 8th, 2022
- No zombie zone: Forest Service orders removal of reported film set in Green Canyon that went too far - The Herald Journal - September 8th, 2022
- Everyone loves a good zombie, apparently | What the Heckle? - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2022
- 'Sins of Our Mother': Lori Vallow Claimed Her Children Had Turned Into 'Zombies' Before Their Disappearance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 8th, 2022
- Zoinks! The 10 Best 'Scooby-Doo' Films, From 'Monsters Unleashed' to 'Zombie Island' - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- 13 Great Funny Movies About Vampires, Zombies, And Other Classic Monsters - CinemaBlend - September 8th, 2022
- The Munsters: This Rock Legend Is Making An Unexpected Cameo in Rob Zombies Prequel - Dread Central - September 8th, 2022
- Light House Studio's Youth Film Festival covers everything from A to zombies - The Daily Progress - September 8th, 2022
- The Greatest Zombie Movie Of All Time Is Streaming For Free - Giant Freakin Robot - August 22nd, 2022
- TV, Interrupted: Post-Zombie Apocalypse Series In The Flesh Was Buried Too Soon - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Tales of the Walking Dead' Season One, Episode Two Recap - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Zombie fungus' bursts out of a dead fly in contest-winning photo - Livescience.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Sally Phillips: How would I survive a zombie attack? Get another puppy - The Guardian - August 22nd, 2022
- Apocalypse arrives for the 'zombie' companies haunting UK growth - The Telegraph - August 22nd, 2022
- 60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer - August 22nd, 2022
- Did Congress just warn of a zombie attack? No, that video is fake, and satirical - PolitiFact - August 22nd, 2022
- 10 years ago, one incredible zombie movie redefined an entire style of film - Inverse - August 22nd, 2022
- ZOMBIE PROPERTY COUNT INCHES UP AGAIN IN THIRD QUARTER OF 2022 ACROSS U.S. AMID CONTINUED RISE IN FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY - PR Newswire - August 22nd, 2022
- I wore a metaverse suit into a terrifying Zombie VR world Im still haunted by it... - The US Sun - August 22nd, 2022
- Dungeon Munchies is an RPG platformer where you're a zombie, and worse, an unpaid intern - PC Gamer - August 22nd, 2022
- Insiders tell of 'zombie government' as Johnson lives it up in Greece on holiday - The National - August 22nd, 2022
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
- The Future of 'The Walking Dead' Universe Will Be Characterized By a New Zombie Variant - Pajiba Entertainment News - August 14th, 2022
- Inside the abandoned 'zombie like' cottage left untouched since a heartbreaking tragedy - The Mirror - August 14th, 2022
- Time traveller from 2906 claims world will face a plague of zombie pigs later this year - Daily Star - August 14th, 2022
- Tearful Martin Lewis slams 'zombie' Government for crisis as bad as pandemic - Wales Online - August 14th, 2022
- Lauren Boebert talks monkeypox and "zombie Reagan" on BlazeTV - Salon - August 6th, 2022
- The Zombie of Recession Died Today - TheStranger.com - August 6th, 2022
- Nonstop Action Drives Korean Zombie Thriller Carter to Badass Heights - Paste Magazine - August 6th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero