Army of the Dead
In the midst of breaking open a sophisticated vault beneath a Las Vegas casino swarming with zombies, a character hits you with an unexpected hypothesis: according to him, the people in the film are reliving a time loop.
This kooky idea in Zack Snyders Army of the Dead springs up when the crew finds decimated bodies of the people who had previously tried to crack the safe. I mean, look at them. Its us. It could be us in another timeline, he says, trying to spook his companion. To his credit, the skull and bones and the tattered clothes do have a vague, passing, resemblanceif youre willing to turn your head a little and squint a lot.
But, let me get my facts straight a littlein the middle of a bank heist zombie survival film, we somehow have a timeline that shows both dead and alive versions of the characters in the same film, without explanation. Clearly Snyder who does everything from cinematography to writing to directing in this worthless sequel to his near-classic, career starting original Dawn of the Dead (2004) needs to have someone talk him out of his whims.
Not only is the hypothesis a slap-on amendment to an otherwise lacklustre zombie movie it doesnt play out in the context of the overall story it only proves the point I made in a recent Icon article on time-loops and time travel: the fad is popping up in places where you least expect it to.
Zack Snyders Army of the Dead is a worthless sequel to his near-classic, career-starting original Dawn of the Dead while theres a lot to discover in The Woman in the Window. Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is a continuation of one of the most effective horror franchises in cinema right now
But what am I saying? There are many reasons why Army of the Dead feels like a daft, one-draft screenplay, written by a director who just wants his vision to come out unadulterated.
Shooting in extreme shallow focus again: an indulgent whim; a centimetre here or there, and the characters step in and out of focus the film is a flat-footed, overlong jaunt, where an ex-Marine-turned-cook (Dave Bautista) is hired by a casino owner (Hiroyuki Sanada) to assemble a rag-tag team of specialists to raid millions from a vault in the zombie-infested Vegas, before the city gets nuked by the government in 36 hours.
Running at nearly two-and-a-half hours, there is a good twist half way about a slowly developing, intelligent zombie culture. Alas, the idea gets shot down by brainless, lifeless filmmaking or in other words zombie filmmaking.
Advice: stop watching after the extensive six minute-long opening credits that qualify as a much better short film, because it goes downhill from that moment onwards.
Streaming on Netflix, Army of the Dead is rated R for violence, nudity, sex and language ie. everything children should be kept away from anyways
The Woman in the Window
The Woman in the Window may seem as if its bursting at the seams from the directors weighty vision but, I assure you, look beyond its deliberate, in-your-face, visual theatrics and theres a lot to discover.
The premise is a simple one: a psychiatrist (Amy Adams) with an agoraphobic disorder (ie. fear of open or public spaces) gets mixed up in a case of murder and mistaken identities as she spies on a family from the seclusion of her apartment.
Based on the novel of the same name by A.J. Finn, if the concept and the trailer harks of Alfred Hitchcock and Rear Window (itself an adaptation of Cornell Woolrichs 1942 short story It Had To Be Murder), then youre not far off in your assumption.
I wouldnt know of Finns novel, but the film has a ton of homages: from the seeming familiarity of Rear Window (1954) or a staircase shot reminiscent of Vertigo (1958; again, Hitchcock), to scenes from noir classics playing on television like the Salvador Dali-designed dream sequence from Hitchcocks Spellbound (1945), a scene from Laura (1944) and the beauty shot of Lauren Bacall from Dark Passage (1947) the film is a tribute to the classics.
Like the best of cinemas golden age thrillers, the climax isnt a mind-boggling revelation; actually, it may appear to be a bit trite by todays standards. Still, director Joe Wright (Darkest Hour, Atonement, Pride and Prejudice) and lead actress Adams get fine support from Gary Oldman and Julianne Moore; in fact, the two actresses share a brief, subtle but masterclass-level scene by bouncing performances off each other.
The execution may be a bit heavy-handed for casual viewers but, if youre into classic films, this is a good way to spend an hour and 40 minutes.
Streaming on Netflix, The Woman in the Window is rated 16+ for scenes of violence and some language
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
Director Michael Chavez, in his second film after The Curse of La Llorona, improves quite a bit. However, I have a sneaky suspicion theres an insane level of quality control overseeing the storytelling process. After all, Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (Conjuring 3) is a continuation of one of the most effective horror franchises in cinema right now.
Counting Annabelle and The Nun spin-offs, thats eight films and $1.9 billion at the box-office, making the Conjuring Universe the highest grossing franchise of all time.
Thats a lot of pressure.
It would have been cool to see Conjuring 3 in cinemas; the scares wouldve been more effective. Thankfully, the focus is on characters and long-term story arcs, so the smaller screen makes do.
Based on another true case from Ed and Lorraines (Patrick Wilson, Vera Fermiga) casebook, the husband and wife paranormal investigators hit a roadblock trying to help a possessed boy, when none of the usual exorcisms seem to have any effect. In a desperate bid, the boyfriend of the boys elder sister gives himself to the demon and, sure enough, finds himself being used as a tool for something far sinister.
For the first time, Ed and Lorraine seem to have a bona fide villain pulling the strings, with Ed himself ending up being possessed. The plot-heavy screenplay by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (based on his and former franchise director James Wans story), plays like a procedural thriller and sets up a long-term story arc.
Heres my concern though: the filmmakers have to step up their game a little, because the franchise could very well lose its footing from this point onwards. If the scares disappear, not even Ed and Lorraine (and their very fine actors, Fermiga and Wilson) or the effective production design may be able to save the franchise from the next film onwards.
Streaming on HBO Max, Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is rated R for gore-less, scare-less horror
Published in Dawn, ICON, June 13th, 2021
STREAMING: ZOMBIES, MURDER AND DEVILS - DAWN.com
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
- Rob Zombie's The Munsters: 9 Questions We Have About The Upcoming Movie - CinemaBlend - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Debt: One of the ways you're tricked into paying a bill you shouldn't - WFMYNews2.com - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Brings Competitive Zombies Back to the Stage - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- The best Call of Duty Zombies maps of all time - Gamepur - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol Release Time - DualShockers - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Squad - Index page - June 14th, 2021
- The Zombie Hunters - June 14th, 2021
- Top Call of Duty Zombie Games of All Time - The Game Haus - June 14th, 2021
- This week in space: Zombie stars and the corporatization of the galaxy - Chron - June 14th, 2021
- Framestore's VFX is the 'Zombie Cat's Meow' in 'Army of the Dead' - Animation World Network - June 14th, 2021
- Zack Snyder talks Army of the Dead's robot zombies and aliens - Gamesradar - June 14th, 2021
- Fear the Walking Dead season 7 release date: Latest news about the zombie spin-off - Radio Times - June 14th, 2021
- The kids are back in town - Telegraph India - June 14th, 2021
- Survivors vs zombie soldiers in first pics from The Walking Dead season 11 - Winter is Coming - June 14th, 2021
- The Miz Slams Online Haters Of Out Of The Box Zombies Match - Ringside News - June 14th, 2021
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer - June 1st, 2021
- The Could You Survive This Zombie Apocalypse? Matrix - The Ringer - June 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero