The zombie company could finally be expiring.
Business insolvencies are on the rise, nearing prepandemic levels as government supports and the patience of lenders dissipate.
According to data released from the federal Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy on Thursday, there were 318 business insolvencies in March, nearly equalling the 324 insolvencies of February, 2020. As recently as last July, insolvencies were less than half of prepandemic levels, with 160 filings that month.
The rebound could spell an end to one of the great economic paradoxes of the pandemic: During one of the worst economic contractions in Canadas history, the number of insolvencies fell dramatically.
Dan Kelly, president of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, has said that he believed there were thousands of debt-burdened zombie companies that were effectively defunct but were technically staying in business on the faint hope that they could rebound once pandemic restrictions were lifted.
Those hopes are clearly fading, according to the superintendents data. Instead, insolvencies are shooting up; those zombies are finally dying. The stake is going through the heart, Mr. Kelly said, adding that a survey of his members indicates that only 40 per cent have seen their sales return to prepandemic levels and that the average small business has amassed $160,000 in COVID-related debt.
Targeted wage subsidies ended in early May, but Mr. Kelly is still hoping that Ottawa will provide additional relief to small business, by writing off the full value of emergency loans issued over the past two years rather than forgiving only a portion. I worry that weve only seen the tip of the iceberg for business failures, he said.
In a news release, the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) noted that business insolvencies rose 34 per cent in the first quarter of 2022 compared with the same quarter in 2021, the biggest increase in 31 years.
Jean-Daniel Breton, chair of the CAIRP, said insolvencies fell during the pandemic because of a combination of factors, including government support programs such as wage subsidies, and the unwillingness of lenders to force debtor firms into bankruptcy in an economic environment unlikely to garner much from asset sales. You cannot get blood from a stone, he said.
Those factors are now pushing in the opposite direction, he said. Support programs began to wind down after November, and lenders are less forgiving. Rising interest rates will intensify the pressure on overextended companies, he added.
Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it. Thats the foundation for some of the criticism of left-leaning politicians that back carbon pricing but are also floating ways to roll back the soaring cost of a fill-up.
Superficially, it does seem a bit on the posturing side for politicians to want to increase the cost of gasoline, but then also wring their hands about the increasing cost of gasoline. But only superficially.
There are big differences between the price increases contemplated under carbon-pricing systems such as the federal fuel charge, and the recent market-driven spike in prices. For one, there is magnitude. Pretax gasoline prices in Toronto have jumped by more than 40 cents a litre since the start of the year. The fuel charge rose by a relatively modest 2.2 cents a litre on April 1 to a total of 11 cents.
Still, over time, the total will mount. By 2030, the fuel charge will be just under 40 cents a litre.
But that underscores how slowly the fuel charge is slated to rise. This points to another contrast: predictability. The yearly increase in the fuel charge is steady barring a change in the policy that is. On the other hand, there are few things in the world less predictable than gasoline prices. Why trade in your pickup for a price spike that could be over in two months? But if you knew those prices were here to stay, your decision could be different.
Lastly, increases in federal fuel charges are paired with rebates. Those dont cover the extra costs for all households, but at a minimum it defrays them. That is perhaps the biggest difference: Those market-driven spikes are all cost, no rebate.
Making employment insurance work: The pandemic has underscored the urgent need to update employment insurance to make it more generous and easier to access, concludes a report from the Institute for Research on Public Policy, issued as Ottawa conducts a two-year-long review of the 82-year-old income support policy. The report, which captures the discussion of the 12-member working group in December, highlights the myriad gaps in the EI program. It also touches on some potentially politically thorny solutions including renewed federal contributions without going quite so far as to endorse them.
Follow me on Twitter, @PatrickBrethour or ask your Taxing Question here.
Sign up for the Tax and Spend newsletter here
Go here to read the rest:
Tax & Spend: The zombie companies are finally expiring - The Globe and Mail
- History of Zombies - Origins, Pop Culture & Film - HISTORY - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie (Plants vs. Zombies) | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | Fandom - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4: the making of an 'impossible' Switch conversion - Eurogamer.net - July 4th, 2022
- The Movies And Shows That Kickstarted Rob Zombie's Love Of The Horror Genre - /Film - July 4th, 2022
- Meet the 'zombie star' that survived a supernova blast - Reuters.com - July 4th, 2022
- Zombies of the Slaughterhouse - JSTOR Daily - July 4th, 2022
- Zelda Williams is directing a "bonkers" zombie comedy and Diablo Cody is writing it - The A.V. Club - July 4th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream ZOMBIES Free Online - EpicStream - July 4th, 2022
- The Last Fortress: Underground Is A Life Simulator Home Management Sim Set In The Zombie Apocalypse - GameSpot - July 4th, 2022
- Review: Drunken Fist 2: Zombie Hangover - Movies Games and Tech - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombie property to be demolished in Rotterdam Junction - NEWS10 ABC - June 23rd, 2022
- How refactoring code in Safari's WebKit resurrected 'zombie' security bug - The Register - June 23rd, 2022
- East Idaho Eats: New zombie-themed food truck brings authentic Cubano, other sandwiches to Pocatello - East Idaho News - June 23rd, 2022
- Why Rob Zombie Won't Watch House Of 1,000 Corpses Anymore - /Film - June 23rd, 2022
- Will We Have an IE Zombie Movie? - CDOTrends - June 23rd, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Zombie Massacre Free Online - EpicStream - June 23rd, 2022
- Weekend Whipper: Near Ground Fall on the Famous "Zombie Roof" 5.12d Trad - Climbing Magazine - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombies return to Warzone with Season 4s Rebirth of the Dead mode - CharlieINTEL.com - June 23rd, 2022
- City near Wiltshire in 'unluckiest places' to live in a zombie apocalypse - Wiltshire Times - June 23rd, 2022
- In the Event of a Zombie Apocalypse': What's in the Fine Print You're Signing? - NBC San Diego - June 23rd, 2022
- County Durham beach named one of the UK's weirdest due to 'zombies' - Chronicle Live - June 23rd, 2022
- Review: LAND OF THE DEAD - FANGORIA - June 23rd, 2022
- Moon Knight and an Avenger Are in a Race Against an Army of Zombie Moon Knights (Exclusive) - ComicBook.com - June 23rd, 2022
- Here Are The Lyrics To 'First Kill's Theme, "The Zombie Song" - Elite Daily - June 14th, 2022
- BTS in a Zombie Apocalpyse How Fans Think These Idols Would React - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 14th, 2022
- 'Unhuman' review: A vibrant zombie feature that tries to offer more than just clichs - People's World - June 14th, 2022
- This Is the Best Zombie Movie of All Time, According to Data - 24/7 Wall St. - June 14th, 2022
- Two arrested as drugs and 'zombie' knife seized during raid - Liverpool Echo - June 14th, 2022
- A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Thriller Gets a Taste for Streaming Flesh - We Got This Covered - June 5th, 2022
- Debunking the zombie claim that 'dead people always vote Democrat' - PolitiFact - June 5th, 2022
- The zombie nuke plant that just won't die - The Manila Times - June 5th, 2022
- Why Carnival Fell Today, and What It Has to Do With Zombies - The Motley Fool - June 5th, 2022
- The Midwich Cuckoos, review: steel yourself for Creepy Keeley and the zombie kids - The Telegraph - June 5th, 2022
- Hornets set to get $173m in public cash thanks to zombie lease clause, another $102m just because - Field of Schemes - June 5th, 2022
- Zombie catfish comes back from the dead with just a splash of water in footage - The Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Unhuman Official Trailer: Zombies Bring The Breakfast Club Formula Back From The Dead On June 3 - The Illuminerdi - May 17th, 2022
- Erie County Clerk says he is addressing tax zombie properties - WGRZ.com - May 17th, 2022
- The zombie economics of inflation and unemployment - The Hill - May 17th, 2022
- Sense of dj vu with Stormont as 'zombie' Executive continues - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2022
- Best Guns for Zombies Cold War: Best Weapons 2022 - Turkish Weekly - Journal of Turkish Weekly - May 17th, 2022
- Myanmar and the Zombie Five-Point Consensus - Foreign Policy - May 17th, 2022
- "The zombie ship": where it is and why it could unleash an environmental catastrophe - Zyri - May 17th, 2022
- Terrifying 'zombie worms' that eat bones by boring into them to get at nutrients - The Mirror - May 17th, 2022
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring 'Bugsnax' and 'Zombie Army 4', Plus the Latest Releases and Sales TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - May 4th, 2022
- 'Zombie Survival RPG' Decision: Red Daze rises from the grave on May 19 to PC - RPG Site - May 4th, 2022
- Ireland needs to tackle 'zombie' companies, says leading law firm - The Irish Times - May 4th, 2022
- 'Zombie TV': The disintegration of Russia's free press - DW (English) - May 4th, 2022
- Stark: Weird and Wild, The Rays, Red Sox zombie apocalypse edition - The Athletic - May 4th, 2022
- Vincenzo star Ok Taecyeon in talks to lead webtoon based zombie drama Taereung Zombie Village - PINKVILLA - May 4th, 2022
- Zombies: why they matter in the philosophy of mind - TheArticle - May 4th, 2022
- Pax East 2022 Interview: Paul Cousins of Dead Fury - The Workprint - May 4th, 2022
- This Cult '80s Horror Put Brains On The Menu For Zombie Flicks - /Film - May 4th, 2022
- Will There Ever Be A Warm Bodies 2? - Looper - May 4th, 2022
- Nottinghamshire Police issue warning as zombie and adapted knives seized in Radford warrant - Nottinghamshire Live - May 4th, 2022
- 'Isle Of The Dead' Adds New Cast Member To Zombie Series - Horror News Network - May 4th, 2022
- Bugsnax, Zombie Army 4, Nintendo Switch Sports, The Stanley Parable, and Layer Section S-Tribute hit the Switch - Games Asylum - May 4th, 2022
- Idaho mom charged with killing her 2 children in zombie case appears in court - OregonLive - April 21st, 2022
- STATIC-X Announces Headlining Shows Around ROB ZOMBIE Tour - Metal Injection - April 21st, 2022
- [Review] You Have Less Than A Minute To Survive in Zombie Outbreak Thriller VIRUS :32 - Nightmare on Film Street - April 21st, 2022
- Bull Skit Comedy players are excited to bring Zombie Tag and other events to Red Deer audiences - Red Deer Advocate - April 21st, 2022
- 'Out of control': Sinking coal industry swamps Kentucky with 'zombie' mine violations - Courier Journal - April 21st, 2022
- 'Zombie properties' abandoned homes can be reported with a new tool in Monroe County & Rochester - WXXI News - April 21st, 2022
- Google Wallet is the Zombie of Easter We Can All Celebrate - Droid Life - April 21st, 2022
- Nature's "zombies": the disturbing science of neuroparasitology - Big Think - April 21st, 2022
- Explained: The 'zombie disease' epidemic that is killing deer in Canada - CNBCTV18 - April 8th, 2022
- UFC 273: Volkanovski vs. Korean Zombie odds, predictions: MMA insider shares surprising fight card picks - CBS Sports - April 8th, 2022
- JK Rowling and the curse of the zombie author - The Real News Network - April 8th, 2022
- Unplugged is getting songs from Slayer, Rob Zombie and more in a new DLC pack - Android Central - April 8th, 2022
- Korean Zombie has the power to hurt Alexander Volkanovski, will KO him within two rounds says coach - BJPENN.COM - April 8th, 2022
- The House Of The Dead: Remake review - the original zombie shooter - Metro.co.uk - April 8th, 2022
- Granger Cherry Fest...Food, Fun and...A Zombie Camel? What The... - newstalkkit.com - April 8th, 2022
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Brain - tor.com - January 9th, 2022
- A big zombie blockbuster is among the movies on TV tonight - JOE.ie - January 9th, 2022
- Why its grim, but unsurprising, that the U.S. Capitol attack looked like it was out of a 'zombie movie' - The Conversation CA - January 9th, 2022
- Spyker brand set to return in 2022 like a zombie - CNET - January 9th, 2022
- How the CDC would act in a zombie outbreak - Boing Boing - January 9th, 2022
- CES Is Back in Las Vegas for 2022, and It Is a Zombie Version of Its Former Self - Daily Beast - January 9th, 2022
- 'Project Zomboid': Healing And First-Aid Guide - International Business Times - January 9th, 2022
- This B-Movie-Inspired Action-RPG Looks Like An Anime Fan's Fever Dream - Kotaku - January 9th, 2022
- Middletown Mayor Tony Perry takes office for fourth consecutive year - Asbury Park Press - January 9th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero