Keep Dallas Observer Free
Support the independent voice of Dallas and help keep the future of Dallas Observer free.
The bright side of 2021 is that we're all a little better prepared for a zombie apocalypse. Weve been paranoid about the symptoms of a disease that's easily spread, and anxiously watched for warning signs. Weve all (or at least some of us) quarantined to prevent further infections. Empty streets and protective measures arent just the imaginings of a zombie-inspired apocalyptic event but the daily reality of COVID-19 that we faced over the past year.
Zombie movies have been a popular horror subgenre for decades, first gaining acclaim with George Romeros 1968 masterpiece Night of the Living Dead, a bare-bones survival story that doubled as an allegory for Cold War politics and race relations. Romero continued to bring his critical social commentary to the films sequels, with 1978s Dawn of the Dead examining consumerism and 1985s Day of the Dead exploring militarism.
Zombie media, however, only spiked in the coming decades with Danny Boyles hyper-realistic 28 Days Later and Edgar Wrights self-aware satire Shaun of the Dead both proving to be innovations within the genre. However, zombie films have seen a decline in recent years, and for two obvious reasons. First, The Walking Dead remains dominant and covers the nuances of the genre so extensively that its hard for other stories to provide a new take. Second, cheaply made films dilute the genre, and it can be hard to distinguish between charming low-budget films and the garbage cinema headed straight to DVD or online video services.
Zombie fans are hoping this year will change that; not only is Romeros long-lost passion project Amusement Park finally being released this summer, but controversial filmmaker Zack Snyder (who also directed the surprisingly enjoyable 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead) recently debuted his two-and-a-half hour zombie epic Army of the Dead on Netflix.
In a post-pandemic world, will zombie movies end up being a strange sort of comfort food? Were not entirely sure, but the last year has given us all the preparation we need to survive any impending zombie apocalypse headed our way. Here are some Dallas locations wed use to our advantage if the undead do finally emerge.
NorthPark CenterA mall hideout worked out well enough in Dawn of the Dead. Would there be any demon-slaying devices hidden at Wetzels Pretzels?
The Six Floor MuseumCmon, JFK-era zombies? How has Hollywood not transformed the most famous assassination in history into a cheap zombie flick?
Immersive Van Gogh ExperienceVincent Van Gogh did in fact cut off his own ear, so maybe the upcoming immersive exhibition will offer some clues on where to inflict maximum damage on a squadron of corpses.
Six Flags Mini Mine TrainSpeedy World War Z-esque zombies scaling the side of the Titan or the Texas Giant could be terrifying, so we reckon if were going to hide out at the Arlington amusement park, well stick to the family-friendly area.
The Fort Worth StockyardsIf all the undead need is flesh to survive, does it have to be human flesh? We might have a few other options to distract them.
The Dallas QAnon ConventionWed imagine that the living dead would seem charming in comparison.
Urban TacoIf Shaun of the Dead taught us anything, its that if youre facing an inevitable zombie invasion, you might as well camp out somewhere you enjoy. Bars might deplete our resources quickly, so how about the best damn taco place in the city?
AT&T Performing Arts CenterZombies cant get us if they cant find parking.
Addison Improv Comedy ClubWe might as well just make a night of it.
Austin bonus:The State Capitol BuildingIf you're in Austin during a zombie takeover, there's only one choice for shelter. I mean, its not like Gov. Greg Abbott would do anything about it. Who else has better experience at being the stock moronic government figure in a pandemic movie?
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.
Liam Gaughan has been covering film and television since before he had a driver's license, and in addition to the Observer has been published in About.com, Schmoes Know, Taste of Cinema and The Dallas Morning News. He enjoys checking classic films off of his watchlist and working on spec scripts.
Read the original post:
The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
- Rob Zombie's The Munsters: 9 Questions We Have About The Upcoming Movie - CinemaBlend - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Debt: One of the ways you're tricked into paying a bill you shouldn't - WFMYNews2.com - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Brings Competitive Zombies Back to the Stage - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- The best Call of Duty Zombies maps of all time - Gamepur - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol Release Time - DualShockers - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Squad - Index page - June 14th, 2021
- The Zombie Hunters - June 14th, 2021
- Top Call of Duty Zombie Games of All Time - The Game Haus - June 14th, 2021
- This week in space: Zombie stars and the corporatization of the galaxy - Chron - June 14th, 2021
- Framestore's VFX is the 'Zombie Cat's Meow' in 'Army of the Dead' - Animation World Network - June 14th, 2021
- Zack Snyder talks Army of the Dead's robot zombies and aliens - Gamesradar - June 14th, 2021
- STREAMING: ZOMBIES, MURDER AND DEVILS - DAWN.com - June 14th, 2021
- Fear the Walking Dead season 7 release date: Latest news about the zombie spin-off - Radio Times - June 14th, 2021
- The kids are back in town - Telegraph India - June 14th, 2021
- Survivors vs zombie soldiers in first pics from The Walking Dead season 11 - Winter is Coming - June 14th, 2021
- The Miz Slams Online Haters Of Out Of The Box Zombies Match - Ringside News - June 14th, 2021
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Could You Survive This Zombie Apocalypse? Matrix - The Ringer - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead VFX Boss on Crafting the Perfect Zombie Tiger - ComicBook.com - June 1st, 2021
- The Zombie-Mall Weirdness of Going to the Movies Again - The New York Times - June 1st, 2021
- 710 freeway expansion is a zombie project from another era - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- How VFX Artists Made the Zombie Horse in 'Army of the Dead' - menshealth.com - June 1st, 2021
- Biden Won't Give Up on Zombie Infrastructure Deal - The Daily Beast - June 1st, 2021
- The Outrageous Bride magazine that is tapping into new trend for zombie, Goth and even Viking weddings - Business Live - June 1st, 2021
- 'Zombie universities' face drastic action as births fall - University World News - June 1st, 2021
- Zombie heist movie Army of the Dead descends to the depths of mediocrity - CultureMap Austin - June 1st, 2021
- Were Living Through the DLC-ification of Movies and TV - Observer - June 1st, 2021
- Texans Must Now Face 'Zombie Trees' as a Result of the Historic Winter Storm - ourcommunitynow.com - June 1st, 2021
- The Zombie Comedy Killing It On Netflix Right Now Looper - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Scene with Full Frontal Zombie Nudity Didnt Make Final Cut: Its Too Much - IndieWire - May 8th, 2021
- Army Of The Dead removed scene with full-frontal zombie nudity from final cut - NME - May 8th, 2021
- Play Days Gone without the annoying zombie hordes with Open Country - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- Ranking All 8 ROB ZOMBIE Movies Worst to Best - Dread Central - May 8th, 2021
- Serial pleasures: The TV series that got us through lockdown - The Irish Times - May 8th, 2021
- George A. Romeros final zombie film is being finished by his widow - NME - May 8th, 2021
- New 'Army of the Dead' Clip Teases New Type of Zombies - HYPEBEAST - May 8th, 2021
- Mystery as zombie nuclear fires REIGNITE at Chernobyl blast site 35 years on sparking fears of another di... - The Sun - May 8th, 2021
- Desi Nostradamus is wrong. The zombies are already here - The Times of India Blog - May 8th, 2021
- The best tower defense games on PC - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- This place in Lancashire is deemed one of the least likely places to survive a zombie apocalypse - Lancashire Telegraph - May 8th, 2021
- What will the end of the pandemic mean for zombie companies? - Raconteur - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: How Zack Snyder Is Revolutionizing Zombie Movies - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- Beware the 'Zoom Zombie'? - Land Line Opinion % - Land Line Media - April 23rd, 2021
- My Breast Implants Turned Me Into A Rapidly Aging Zombie - Scary Mommy - April 23rd, 2021
- Slipknot, Rob Zombie and Mudvayne to headline Inkcarceration Music & Tattoo Festival 2021 - Louder - April 23rd, 2021
- Zack Snyders Army of the Dead VFX Team Used Carole Baskins Tiger to Create the Zombie Tiger - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Forget Everything and Run review scenic zombie adventure lacks bite - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: What Excites Us About Zack Snyders Zombie Epic - ComingSoon.net - April 23rd, 2021
- CGI Zombie Tiger In Army Of The Dead Was Modeled After Carole Baskin's Own Tiger - GameSpot - April 23rd, 2021
- What a Zombie Basketball Player From 2026 Has to Do With NIL and NFTs - SportTechie - April 23rd, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero