Keep Dallas Observer Free
Support the independent voice of Dallas and help keep the future of Dallas Observer free.
The bright side of 2021 is that we're all a little better prepared for a zombie apocalypse. Weve been paranoid about the symptoms of a disease that's easily spread, and anxiously watched for warning signs. Weve all (or at least some of us) quarantined to prevent further infections. Empty streets and protective measures arent just the imaginings of a zombie-inspired apocalyptic event but the daily reality of COVID-19 that we faced over the past year.
Zombie movies have been a popular horror subgenre for decades, first gaining acclaim with George Romeros 1968 masterpiece Night of the Living Dead, a bare-bones survival story that doubled as an allegory for Cold War politics and race relations. Romero continued to bring his critical social commentary to the films sequels, with 1978s Dawn of the Dead examining consumerism and 1985s Day of the Dead exploring militarism.
Zombie media, however, only spiked in the coming decades with Danny Boyles hyper-realistic 28 Days Later and Edgar Wrights self-aware satire Shaun of the Dead both proving to be innovations within the genre. However, zombie films have seen a decline in recent years, and for two obvious reasons. First, The Walking Dead remains dominant and covers the nuances of the genre so extensively that its hard for other stories to provide a new take. Second, cheaply made films dilute the genre, and it can be hard to distinguish between charming low-budget films and the garbage cinema headed straight to DVD or online video services.
Zombie fans are hoping this year will change that; not only is Romeros long-lost passion project Amusement Park finally being released this summer, but controversial filmmaker Zack Snyder (who also directed the surprisingly enjoyable 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead) recently debuted his two-and-a-half hour zombie epic Army of the Dead on Netflix.
In a post-pandemic world, will zombie movies end up being a strange sort of comfort food? Were not entirely sure, but the last year has given us all the preparation we need to survive any impending zombie apocalypse headed our way. Here are some Dallas locations wed use to our advantage if the undead do finally emerge.
NorthPark CenterA mall hideout worked out well enough in Dawn of the Dead. Would there be any demon-slaying devices hidden at Wetzels Pretzels?
The Six Floor MuseumCmon, JFK-era zombies? How has Hollywood not transformed the most famous assassination in history into a cheap zombie flick?
Immersive Van Gogh ExperienceVincent Van Gogh did in fact cut off his own ear, so maybe the upcoming immersive exhibition will offer some clues on where to inflict maximum damage on a squadron of corpses.
Six Flags Mini Mine TrainSpeedy World War Z-esque zombies scaling the side of the Titan or the Texas Giant could be terrifying, so we reckon if were going to hide out at the Arlington amusement park, well stick to the family-friendly area.
The Fort Worth StockyardsIf all the undead need is flesh to survive, does it have to be human flesh? We might have a few other options to distract them.
The Dallas QAnon ConventionWed imagine that the living dead would seem charming in comparison.
Urban TacoIf Shaun of the Dead taught us anything, its that if youre facing an inevitable zombie invasion, you might as well camp out somewhere you enjoy. Bars might deplete our resources quickly, so how about the best damn taco place in the city?
AT&T Performing Arts CenterZombies cant get us if they cant find parking.
Addison Improv Comedy ClubWe might as well just make a night of it.
Austin bonus:The State Capitol BuildingIf you're in Austin during a zombie takeover, there's only one choice for shelter. I mean, its not like Gov. Greg Abbott would do anything about it. Who else has better experience at being the stock moronic government figure in a pandemic movie?
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.
Liam Gaughan has been covering film and television since before he had a driver's license, and in addition to the Observer has been published in About.com, Schmoes Know, Taste of Cinema and The Dallas Morning News. He enjoys checking classic films off of his watchlist and working on spec scripts.
Read the original post:
The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Could You Survive This Zombie Apocalypse? Matrix - The Ringer - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead VFX Boss on Crafting the Perfect Zombie Tiger - ComicBook.com - June 1st, 2021
- The Zombie-Mall Weirdness of Going to the Movies Again - The New York Times - June 1st, 2021
- 710 freeway expansion is a zombie project from another era - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- How VFX Artists Made the Zombie Horse in 'Army of the Dead' - menshealth.com - June 1st, 2021
- Biden Won't Give Up on Zombie Infrastructure Deal - The Daily Beast - June 1st, 2021
- The Outrageous Bride magazine that is tapping into new trend for zombie, Goth and even Viking weddings - Business Live - June 1st, 2021
- 'Zombie universities' face drastic action as births fall - University World News - June 1st, 2021
- Zombie heist movie Army of the Dead descends to the depths of mediocrity - CultureMap Austin - June 1st, 2021
- Were Living Through the DLC-ification of Movies and TV - Observer - June 1st, 2021
- Texans Must Now Face 'Zombie Trees' as a Result of the Historic Winter Storm - ourcommunitynow.com - June 1st, 2021
- The Zombie Comedy Killing It On Netflix Right Now Looper - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Scene with Full Frontal Zombie Nudity Didnt Make Final Cut: Its Too Much - IndieWire - May 8th, 2021
- Army Of The Dead removed scene with full-frontal zombie nudity from final cut - NME - May 8th, 2021
- Play Days Gone without the annoying zombie hordes with Open Country - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- Ranking All 8 ROB ZOMBIE Movies Worst to Best - Dread Central - May 8th, 2021
- Serial pleasures: The TV series that got us through lockdown - The Irish Times - May 8th, 2021
- George A. Romeros final zombie film is being finished by his widow - NME - May 8th, 2021
- New 'Army of the Dead' Clip Teases New Type of Zombies - HYPEBEAST - May 8th, 2021
- Mystery as zombie nuclear fires REIGNITE at Chernobyl blast site 35 years on sparking fears of another di... - The Sun - May 8th, 2021
- Desi Nostradamus is wrong. The zombies are already here - The Times of India Blog - May 8th, 2021
- The best tower defense games on PC - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- This place in Lancashire is deemed one of the least likely places to survive a zombie apocalypse - Lancashire Telegraph - May 8th, 2021
- What will the end of the pandemic mean for zombie companies? - Raconteur - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: How Zack Snyder Is Revolutionizing Zombie Movies - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- Beware the 'Zoom Zombie'? - Land Line Opinion % - Land Line Media - April 23rd, 2021
- My Breast Implants Turned Me Into A Rapidly Aging Zombie - Scary Mommy - April 23rd, 2021
- Slipknot, Rob Zombie and Mudvayne to headline Inkcarceration Music & Tattoo Festival 2021 - Louder - April 23rd, 2021
- Zack Snyders Army of the Dead VFX Team Used Carole Baskins Tiger to Create the Zombie Tiger - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Forget Everything and Run review scenic zombie adventure lacks bite - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: What Excites Us About Zack Snyders Zombie Epic - ComingSoon.net - April 23rd, 2021
- CGI Zombie Tiger In Army Of The Dead Was Modeled After Carole Baskin's Own Tiger - GameSpot - April 23rd, 2021
- What a Zombie Basketball Player From 2026 Has to Do With NIL and NFTs - SportTechie - April 23rd, 2021
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan Shows His Son As A Zombie On 'The Walking Dead' - UPROXX - April 23rd, 2021
- Halo 3 goes horror with a Call Of Duty-inspired zombies mod - PC Gamer - April 23rd, 2021
- Preview: Zombie Hornets try to survive against maybe KD and the Brooklyn Nets - At The Hive - April 23rd, 2021
- An invasion of corporate zombies may still be on the horizon - Sydney Morning Herald - April 23rd, 2021
- Two Teens with Down Syndrome Made Their Dream Zombie Movie. The Documentary SAM AND MATTIE MAKE A ZOMBIE MOVIE is the Story of How They Did It - Now... - April 23rd, 2021
- History will not be kind to Tokyo's 'zombie Olympics' - Nikkei Asia - April 5th, 2021
- Researchers discover "Zombie Genes" in the brain that come to life after death - CMU The Tartan Online - April 5th, 2021
- Geoengineering the climate: The zombie idea that just won't die - Resilience - April 5th, 2021
- Hilarie Burton Worried She'd Make a 'Bad Zombie' On The Walking Dead - TooFab - April 5th, 2021
- The Guitar Zombie Apocalypse Is Real - Premier Guitar - April 5th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Warzone's Zombies Move to a New Location - ComicBook.com - April 5th, 2021
- Corey Taylors Zombie Versus Ninja movie will commence shooting this year - Louder - April 5th, 2021
- Is Zombie Army 4 multiplayer? Heres all we know about the Rebellion Developments release - Republic TV - April 5th, 2021
- What are 'zombie mines'? What do they have to do with Malcolm Turnbull? - ABC News - April 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movie According To Reddit Isn't What You'd Think - Looper - April 5th, 2021
- Zombie (The Cranberries song) - Wikipedia - March 9th, 2021
- How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse, According to the CDC - Inside Edition - March 9th, 2021
- The CDC wants you to prepare for a zombie apocalypse. (Yes, you read that right.) - USA TODAY - March 9th, 2021
- Call of Duty's Zombie Easter Eggs Were Too Hard, So Cold War Season 2 Is Simplifying Things - Kotaku - March 9th, 2021
- Resident Evil 3 Did Army of the Dead's Zombie Vegas 14 Years Ago - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- The perfect Call of Duty zombies mode is here, and it's not Outbreak - PC Gamer - March 9th, 2021
- CDC Offers Guide to Survive Zombie Apocalypse and Other Natural Disasters - Complex - March 9th, 2021
- Zombie Soil: The Harmful Result of Industrial Farming | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - March 9th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone Crossover With Zombies Teased on Twitter - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 'Zombie' cicadas could be on your doorstep this summer - Times-West Virginian - March 9th, 2021
- How to Find Flawless Aetherium Crystals in COD: Zombies Outbreak - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Resurrected The Walking Dead star Lauren Cohan tells Conan her best zombie kill nicknames - The A.V. Club - March 9th, 2021
- Warzone yellow access cards - how to survive the new shipwreck zombies event - Gamesradar - March 9th, 2021
- WTOPs Beer of the Week: 3 Floyds Zombie Dust Pale Ale - WTOP - March 9th, 2021
- Indias zombie home fund set to deliver thousands of apartments - The Real Deal - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie infection threat as country unlocks 50,000-year-old viruses - Yahoo News Australia - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie rises from his grave this March for PC via Steam - PC Invasion - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie Hit Train To Busan Is Getting A US Remake - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says the meat industrys future is unsustainable - NME.com - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse - Yahoo Entertainment - February 20th, 2021
- Batista Wanted To Play A Zombie On The Walking Dead, Rejected For Being "Too Big" - Fightful - February 20th, 2021
- Dave Bautista told he was too big to play zombie on The Walking Dead - NME - February 17th, 2021
- Dave Bautista Offered To Play A Zombie For Free On The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Is plurilateralism making the WTO an institutional zombie? - East Asia Forum - February 17th, 2021
- REVIEW: Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Vol. 1 is a Comedic Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Don't Eat Pete is a zombie survival game that's available now for Android in Early Access - Pocket Gamer - February 17th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone seems to be teasing Zombies - Gamesradar - February 17th, 2021
- James Gunn Weighs In On Whether Zombies Or Vampires Are More Dangerous - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead back on the march - Stuff.co.nz - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Turned Dave Bautista Down for a Zombie Role - Superherohype.com - February 16th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Image Teases Zombie Heist Movie - /FILM - February 16th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero