Zombie is not a neutral song; it is undoubtedly one of the Troubles most enduring and meaningful cultural artifacts. The song was written in response to a tragic 1994 attack in Warrington, England, in which two young boys were killed in an IRA bombing. ORiordan had seen the bombing reported on the news and was upset by it, Cranberries guitarist Noel Hogan tells me over Zoom. She said that she was really pissed off about this, and that this needs to be an angry song, that anger needed to be reflected in the music. We had the tendency to drown her out, but with Zombie, we pulled that in a bit and had her vocals and the emotion at the front.
And so Zombie was born: a raw howl of protest at the decades of senseless violence Ireland had experienced, with all the countrys rage, fear and frustration distilled into ORiordans huge, anguished voice: Its been that same old theme since 1916, ORiordan cries in her thick Limerick accent, her vocals fluttering theatrically, her voice reminiscent of sean-ns, an ancient, theatrical style of Irish singing.
I think people thought we were a political band, but we really werent, Hogan tells me. If you listen to our back catalogue, we mostly wrote about love, and relationships. Zombie, and maybe only one or two others, are really the only songs that are even slightly political. As bizarre as it must be to have such a misrepresentative song take off so rapidly, the live response to the song was so overwhelming, it eventually became the first single from the Cranberries second album, No Need To Argue, to be reissued Friday in an expanded and remastered double-disc edition.
The record label initially wasnt keen for a song with that subject matter to be the first single. But we knew how it was going down live, Hogan tells me. Perhaps the vastness, the grandness of the chorus the emotional center of the song was the reason why the song managed to be such a huge, enduring hit, despite its political message. Its a song that has lived and lived, Hogan tells me, without a hint of irony. Not everyone gets the message, or really registers what the song is about. I do think its that huge chorus, and those huge vocals that really becomes the thing that everyone is going to focus on.
If the musical and lyrical cues went over most peoples heads, the music video firmly roots the song in the Troubles. Directed by Samuel Bayer (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Doll Parts), the video was shot in war-torn Belfast, with bleak, grayscale footage of painfully young boys brandishing weapons and playing war games on the decimated cityscape, while British soldiers ominously patrol amongst the rubble. This documentary footage is cut with a highly stylised tableaux of ORiordan, slathered in gold paint and surrounded by cherubs, half Joan of Arc, half Cleopatra. In one particularly startling moment, an image of a cherub threateningly aiming his bow is suddenly juxtaposed with a boy glaring at the camera, brandishing a stick, his face streaked in mud and his eyes glinting.
Hogan tells me how Bayer filmed the video: When Bayer finished filming the bands segment, he went up to Belfast, and spent the day wandering around and filming. He told the soldiers in the video that it was for a documentary he was making. Eventually he came clean. Wasnt it a bit of a risky move to lie to soldiers in what was essentially a war zone? No, they were really excited. They were like, were going to be in a music video, thats great!
But what of the contemporary reception? Since its release in 1994, Zombie has been frequently covered (however misguidedly), maintaining a semi-regular rotation on X Factor and The Voice. A dreary cover by American hard rockers Bad Wolves, released in the wake of ORiordans tragic death, did very well in the charts and has tallied more than 350 million YouTube views. Interestingly, the Bad Wolves cover tones down the Irishness of the lyrics significantly Its the same old theme in 2018, vocalist Tommy Vext groans, updating the reference to the 1916 Easter Rising, and tweaking the references to guns in the chorus to the slightly more current drones.
The prize for my least favourite version of Zombie, however, has to go to Eminems noxious rework In Your Head from 2017s Revival. On In Your Head, the Zombie chorus is lifted wholesale, functioning as little more than a blank canvas for Eminems solipsism: I feel like a lame piece of shit/ I feel so cranky and bitter/ Cause when I look at me, I dont see what they see/ I feel ashamed, greedy, he raps dispassionately, lyrics that are so mawkish and diaristic, it is difficult to buy into the idea of even Eminem believing in them. It is a particularly muddled instance of a recurring pattern; of Eminem slotting samples of powerful female vocals into tracks which simply do not merit them, as an antidote to his lyrical acridity, and as an attempt at fast-tracking his way to emotional depth.
In even more recent years, Zombie has sporadically cropped up in TV shows as a kind of comedic shorthand for outsized Gen X angst. In The Office, Andy repeatedly sings the song, irritating his colleagues (offensively, actor Ed Helms recalls landing on Zombie after hours of brainstorming annoying songs). In the FX sitcom Youre The Worst, chaotic PR exec Gretchen (Aya Cash) howls the chorus during a post-breakup bender. And in whip-smart Irish comedy This Way Up, the similarly chaotic Ain (Aisling Bea) and her straight-laced sister Shona (Sharon Horgan) are cajoled by their parents to perform an impassioned rendition of Zombie at a family party (Sing the song about the ghosts!).
Its difficult to imagine another protest song being referenced so wryly. What is it about Zombie that makes it such a convenient comedic cue card? A large part of this could be the huge chorus and vocals Hogan mentioned and to be completely transparent, Im no stranger to whipping out Zombie at karaoke.
One interesting subversion of the Cranberries role in popular culture took place in the final scene of the first season of exemplary Troubles comedy Derry Girls. The film follows a tight-knit group of teenage girls as they grow up in Derry City during the 1990s. The scene itself is not comedic it is, in fact, quietly horrific: a blood-chilling juxtaposition between the teenagers dancing in a school talent contest, and news of a bombing flooding into their family living room. The scene is soundtracked by the Cranberries but the track chosen is Dreams, rather than the on-theme Zombie. The choice was so surprising that various tweets and news outlets misreported the track as Zombie, but Dreams was a shrewd choice, lending the scene a narcotised air, emulating the way time seems to slow and drift when something very, very bad has happened.
Like Zombie, the magic of the scene lies in how unflinching it is in the face of violence, the space it leaves us to feel the horror. The violence which inspired the song has (mostly) simmered down, with many attributing the end of the Troubles to the signing of The Good Friday Agreement in 1998. But a likely No Deal Brexit is set to cause constitutional chaos, and leaves Northern Irelands fragile peace hanging in the balance. Perhaps we should look back to the message of Zombie, and let ourselves be haunted once again.
- Explained: How zombie films may have prepared fans for Covid-19 pandemic - The Indian Express - January 15th, 2021
- Rob Zombie and AC/DC finally find their way onto 'Jeopardy!' - WAAF - January 15th, 2021
- The 10 best and worst cities to survive a zombie apocalypse revealed - The Sun - January 15th, 2021
- Zombie Capitalism Feeding On Death And Debt Lurches Into Fascism And Default Bomb - Scoop.co.nz - January 15th, 2021
- Zendaya, zombies and asteroids: The best new films coming to Netflix in 2021 - CBC.ca - January 15th, 2021
- How The Zombie Apocalypse Prepares You For The COVID-19 Pandemic - American Council on Science and Health - January 15th, 2021
- Magic: The Gathering - Kaldheim's Necromancy Cards Are INTENSE - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 15th, 2021
- Did Watching All Those Zombie Movies Prepare You For The Pandemic? Research Says Yes! - Forbes - January 12th, 2021
- Zombies Could Stunt the Bank Recovery - The Wall Street Journal - January 12th, 2021
- The Walking Dead: Earth's Safest City Has Mastered The Zombie Apocalypse - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- US Zombie Companies Are Now $2.6 Trillion in Debt. What Does That Mean for Investors? - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2021
- Brave History January 12th, 2021 - APRIL WINE, DEEP PURPLE, ROB ZOMBIE, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, LED ZEPPELIN, MERCENARY, THE BLACK CROWES, ICED... - January 12th, 2021
- How dealing with a zombie pandemic taught my students to think fast and think ethically - CEOWORLD magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Good News: Wyoming a Great Place to Survive Zombie Apocalypse - laramielive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Best Zombie Anime You Need to Stream Right Now - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - January 9th, 2021
- Zombie Apocalypse 2021? Some Twitter users think Nostradamus predicted Russian scientists will cause a plague of the undead - Monsters and Critics - January 3rd, 2021
- Prabhas to unveil trailer of upcoming Telegu film Zombie Reddy on January 2 - Republic World - January 3rd, 2021
- Discover What It Means To Be A Zombie In Adventure Game Surviving The Humans - TheGamer - December 31st, 2020
- Resident Evil Reboot Promo Art Reveals First Look At Zombie As Filming Wraps - We Got This Covered - December 31st, 2020
- Rob Zombie Appears on Cover of New Revolver Issue | Revolver - Revolver Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Mahesh Babu and Ranveer Singh Fight off Zombies in Viral Video - News18 - December 31st, 2020
- SNP accuses UK Govt of wasting millions of taxpayer pounds on 'zombie' Scotland Office - HeraldScotland - December 31st, 2020
- Wolves could hold the key to preventing 'zombie' disease threatening US deer populations - Telegraph.co.uk - December 31st, 2020
- Rob Zombie, Ghostemane and Poppy Appear on Covers of New Revolver Issue - Revolver Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- 'Zombie' greenhouse gas lurks in permafrost beneath the Arctic Ocean - Livescience.com - December 26th, 2020
- Abadon turned into a zombie and took a bite out of Hikaru Shida - Cageside Seats - December 26th, 2020
- Millions of mink infected with coronavirus to be BURNED after 'ZOMBIE uprising' from grave - Daily Express - December 26th, 2020
- The Dead Rise Once Again With New Marvel Zombies Pops From Funko - Bleeding Cool News - December 26th, 2020
- Resident Evil Reboot Original Video Game Zombie Revealed as Filming Wraps - MovieWeb - December 26th, 2020
- Anna and the Apocalypse: Every Song Ranked From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - December 26th, 2020
- Monroe County ordered to absorb the cost related to zombie homes in towns - RochesterFirst - December 26th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead mystery: Who is patient zero? - Undead Walking - December 26th, 2020
- Im worried that Hikaru Shida is turning into a zombie after being bitten by Abadon - Cageside Seats - December 26th, 2020
- The zombie comedy you need to watch on HBO Max - Looper - December 26th, 2020
- Call of Duty Zombies: The 5 Best Easter Eggs (& 5 Of The Worst) - TheGamer - December 26th, 2020
- Every Type of Zombie in Back 4 Blood | Game Rant - GameRant - December 22nd, 2020
- Holidays, celebrities and the zombie apocalypse - Washington Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Army of the Dead Prequel Cast Revealed by Zack Snyder in Set Photo - Collider - December 22nd, 2020
- 'Zombie Campaigns' Continue To Accrue Money, Years After Congressional Candidates Have Stopped Running - KJZZ - December 22nd, 2020
- Don't Wait to Wind Down 'Zombie' Subsidiaries - CFO - December 22nd, 2020
- Marvel Zombies & 9 Other Timelines Where Everything Went Wrong - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 22nd, 2020
- JOEY DIABOLIC Releases Cover Of WHITE ZOMBIE's "Creature Of The Wheel" - bravewords.com - December 22nd, 2020
- South Koreas Zombie Companies Are Scarier Than the Movies - The Wall Street Journal - December 21st, 2020
- Will the Fed Ever Stop Propping Up Zombie Companies? - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- Gangsters are PAID taxpayer cash to hand over weapons like zombie knives - Express - December 21st, 2020
- Newly discovered fungi turn flies into zombies and devour them from the inside out - Livescience.com - December 19th, 2020
- Zombie apocalypse simulation model indicates where we should hide. - The UBJ - December 19th, 2020
- BACK 4 BLOOD First Impression: Returning To Zombies With Originality - GameTyrant - December 19th, 2020
- New Zealand's highest court find that zombies do exist in New Zealand after all - Lexology - December 19th, 2020
- Fear not the zombie companies; focus on dealing with them - The Business Times - December 19th, 2020
- How to play on the Holiday-themed Die Maschine map in Black Ops Cold War Zombies - Gamepur - December 19th, 2020
- Sahar Tabar: Angelina Jolie 'zombie' lookalike reveals real face on TV after release from Iranian prison - MEAWW - December 19th, 2020
- Everything Everything reveal zombie-themed visuals for 'Black Hyena' - hotpress.com - December 19th, 2020
- Trapped in an elevator with zombies: Longtime friends from Syracuse debut movie on Amazon - syracuse.com - December 14th, 2020
- Do you hunker down or hit the road in a zombie apocalypse? - Undead Walking - December 14th, 2020
- Shaun Of The Dead Characters, Ranked By Likability | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 14th, 2020
- Breach is Exactly the Zombie-Space Adventure You're Looking For - Bleeding Cool News - December 14th, 2020
- Iconic The Walking Dead zombie was nearly a bit different - Undead Walking - December 12th, 2020
- Cap's a zombie, T'Challa is Star Lord, and the sky's the limit in the first trailer for Marvel's What If? - Yahoo Entertainment - December 12th, 2020
- England weapons scheme offers cash for zombie knives and knuckledusters - The Guardian - December 12th, 2020
- Zombie companies feed off the living - The Japan Times - December 12th, 2020
- The 10 Best Survival Games That Don't Feature Zombies | Game Rant - GameRant - December 12th, 2020
- 10 Best Zombie Movies of All Time, Reviewed - The Manual - December 8th, 2020
- Firefly Games teams up with Apple Arcade to release Zombie Rollerz: Pinball Heroes - GlobeNewswire - December 8th, 2020
- Every Rob Zombie Movie Ranked Worst To Best - WhatCulture - December 8th, 2020
- 'Zombie Reddy' Teaser: The Undead Rise During The Cornavirus Pandemic In This Prashanth Varma Movie - Mashable India - December 7th, 2020
- Zombie Companies Have Raised Nearly $1 Trillion During The Pandemic - The Motley Fool - December 7th, 2020
- Call Of Duty Zombies: The 10 Best Wonder Weapons, Ranked - TheGamer - December 7th, 2020
- 2020 Gift Guide: For the Zoom zombie - National Post - December 7th, 2020
- Judging the Zombie - National Review - December 5th, 2020
- Scary stuff: Colson Whiteheads Zone One might make us all zombies - Rolling Out - December 5th, 2020
- 'Zombie Rollerz: Pinball Heroes' from Firefly Games Is Out Now on Apple Arcade alongside a Major Update to the Excellent 'Grindstone' - Touch Arcade - December 5th, 2020
- Korean Zombie calls out Zabit: That fight would bring the fans to their feet - Bloody Elbow - December 5th, 2020
- Denmark to dig up thousands of 'zombie mink' culled to prevent coronavirus spread | TheHill - The Hill - December 3rd, 2020
- Every Rob Zombie and White Zombie album ranked from worst to best - Louder - December 3rd, 2020
- DCeased: The Final Twist Makes It The Opposite of Marvel Zombies - Screen Rant - December 3rd, 2020
- Here's why the military got absolutely wrecked by zombies in '28 Weeks Later' - Task & Purpose - December 3rd, 2020
- Zombie Reaganism Is Alive and Well - National Review - December 3rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead season 1 zombie that's important - Looper - December 3rd, 2020
- The One Crucial Way Zack Snyder's Army Of The Dead Honors George Romero - Screen Rant - December 3rd, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero