Rob Zombies go-to example to communicate his disgust for the food industry is Dannon Yogurt. The dairy behemoth, which manufactures products linked to increased risk of breast cancer, has run campaigns with the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Its like Marlboro sponsoring the Lung Society or something, he says emphatically.
The theatrical heavy metal mainstay-turned-slasher auteur thinks about these hypocrisies a lot. He thinks about food corporations and all the ways theyre screwing over regular consumers like you and me and him. Its no big revelation. None of us are walking around with the impression were eating happy chickens who lived a good life or super-fresh, chemical-free berries picked by well-paid laborers. But we dont really like to dwell on it. Most people are, like, I dont wanna think about it, Zombie says. But I cant live my life not wanting to think about something. You gotta stop and think about things. Because youre alive.
So he thinks, and he also does: A vegetarian since the age of 18, he went full vegan nine years ago, after a random breakfast of eggs just repulsed him too much to bear. He and his wife work with PETA to fight animal abuse, and have rescued six goats that they now care for on their farm in Connecticut. It all sounds pretty mellow, but if you frame it the way Rob Zombie does, it becomes kind of metal: All this, as he sees it, is in service of resisting what Americas corporate overlords would have you believe: That you need dairy, that you need meat, that you need them to live a normal life.
Zombie, whos releasing his seventh album next month, joined GQ to talk about how he cut out all that bad stuff, staying in shape for tours, and why hes never been interested in destroying his body.
GQ: Youve been a vegetarian and then a vegan for nearly a decade now. What led you to cutting out meat?
Rob Zombie: The vegetarian thing started when I was in high school. I never really liked eating meat. Whenever I was served pork chops or something it would just taste awful to me. We're all brainwashed from the moment we're born that all the cows are happy and the pigs are happy and everybody's so happy and it's all Old McDonald Had a Farm. And then I saw a movie that was the first time I really saw how brutal and disgusting factory farming was. That's when I was, like, "I'm done."
Over the years I would eat cheese or put some creamer in my coffee or something. It was about nine years ago that I was eating eggs for breakfast. And I was just, like, "This is disgusting and I'm done." And that was it. I've been 100% vegan since that moment.
Until the last few years the food industry hasnt been super accommodating to non-meat or dairy eaters. Did you find it difficult to find food you liked?
It was challenging. Vegetarian is easier, because you can still have scrambled eggs or pizza. Once I went vegan, it was, like...now there's nothing to eat. Every day it gets easier, and every day the food gets better. Veggie burgers used to be like tasteless hockey pucks, and now they're so delicious.
Where do you stand on fake meats like the Beyond Burgerdo you like that stuff or are you more into exploring what can be done in new ways with vegetables?
It's transitional. When you first change you're, like, Oh, I'll have the fake ham and the fake baloney or the fake hot dogs, because this is what you've been trained your whole life to think of as food. But as time goes on, my wife and I were, like, Eh, we're sick of all the fake sandwiches. Your tastes change and what you consider healthy changes. But it is a process, and if someone tries to go hardcore instantly they might fail. It's like if you've never worked out before and you go, "I'm gonna work out three hours every day!" Why don't we just start with two? See if you can survive that. Ease into it, friend.
What do you like to eat?
My wife is an excellent cook, which makes my life easy. Every day we eat the exact same breakfast. I've always been like that, I could eat the same meal every day and never get bored of it. We have oatmeal, toast, and fruit. And I have coffee.
Lunch always varies. There's a lot of decent frozen vegan stuff if we're in a hurry, like frozen burritos or pad thai or different pasta dishes. Sheri's very good at making these super-elaborate salads. Salad used to be awful iceberg lettuce and a tasteful tomato. That's why so many people don't care about vegetables, we grew up eating vegetables that had no taste. When you get good vegetables that are prepared right, they're super delicious.
We have a pretty big garden, and when you get stuff directly from your garden, you're, like, woah. I didn't realize the taste could vary that much. We also have a lot of peach trees.
Do you drink at all?
All I ever drink is coffee and water. And we love juicing, so we have particular green drinks well make.
In an old interview you mention veganism was really big with a lot of punk rock musicians, like Geezer and Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. Why do you think that is?
So much of punk rock was about fighting the establishment, fighting the norms, fighting the path that's been laid out for you by corporate America telling you how you're supposed to think and how you're supposed to be. Veganism is exactly the opposite of that. It is anti-establishment. It's becoming more of an established thingevery day some new chain like McDonald's or Burger King starts working a sandwich into their repertoire, because they can see the meat industry has an unsustainable future.
Once you make these decisions, you can't help but learn more about it. And every day you uncover what an evil industry everything is. Dairy is the leading cause of breast cancer, yet Dannon is a big sponsor of the pink ribbon walks. It's like Marlboro sponsoring the lung society or something. And you just realize, oh, this is one giant brainwashed lie we're fed from the moment we're born. You have to uncover each layer of the sham. Most people are, like, "I don't wanna think about it!" I know you don't wanna think about it. It's horrible. But I can't live my life not wanting to think about something. You gotta stop and think about things. Because you're alive.
Do you think it's concerning or promising that veganism is getting folded into bigger establishments?
I think it's good. I wouldn't eat at McDonald's or Burger King no matter what they were selling, but if I lived in the middle of nowhere and the only veggie burger were at McDonald's that's different.
You also work with PETA to rescue abandoned goats on your farm. How did that start?
The goat rescue really started with my wife, Sheri [Moon]. There were three goats that needed a place to go that were fairly close to our farm on the East Coast, and we got them. We've been working with PETA for a while so they'll contact us: "Oh, we've found this goat, it's in a horrible place, can you take this one?" and we'll take it. That's how it's been going down.
Sometimes they're just like giant dogs that are a little more dangerous 'cause they have horns. You wanna pick them up and hug them, but you don't wanna get impaled either. At this point we only have six. We like to get one or two at a time so they can acclimate. It's like when you get a new cat and the other cats are, like, "Well, what's this cat all about?" You wanna have the harmony amongst them. Usually they're coming from someplace awful. They're skittish or nervous or afraid.
We have this one goat, the tiniest one, it's this tiny black goat, and it has one missing hoof because some guy had it chained up in the backyard with pitbulls and it got stuck in a fence, which ripped its hoof off. So that goat's not afraid of anything. It's, like, I've seen worse than this.
Does your schedule need time to help care for the goats?
Not really. I'm awake before they are. I usually get up when its dark, between 4:30 and 5:30, to write and do work early in the morning. Most of the time when I get up my dog looks at me, like, Seriously, man? So early.
I don't let the goats out of the barn 'til the sun comes upthey wouldn't want to get up anyway and you have to be careful about predators. But I have an earlier schedule than the animals.
Do you exercise?
I used to like to run a lot. I have one knee that's kinda messed up, so now I'll do the elliptical. I'll do that for an hour every day. Then I lift weights and stuff until I get bored, maybe half an hour or so. I used to do yoga, but I got sick of that.
That's all to maintain yourself so when a tour comes up you're not destroyed. And then on the road, a show is a 90-minute sweat fest in itself.
Heavy metal as a career is not exactly gentle on the body. Has your lifestyle over the years changed in response to the tragedies some metal idols have faced?
I never really thought about it. I never understood the idea of destroying yourself for the public's amusement. It's always been, like, "I want all my rockstars fucked up and crazy!" Hey, good for you, but destroying myself is not exactly my idea of a good time for your entertainment. I wanna be in as good a shape as possible so the show can be as good as possible. What goes on backstage is irrelevant. There's a tipping point. You can kind of trash yourself for a while...and then all of a sudden you see everyone hit the wall.
Did you have that moment of hitting a wall or have you never opted into the backstage rockstar cliche?
I never cared about that. My thought on it was, didn't we already do this? Does every generation have to rediscover heroin as their cool rock 'n' roll drug? Didn't we figure this out with Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix? I'm very happy to learn from other people's mistakes.
How Bridgertons Martins Imhangbe kept in shape over 2020
Top Boys Ashley Walters wants British men to be more open about their struggles
The real-life diet of Usain Bolt
Go here to see the original:
The Real Life Diet of Rob Zombie, Who Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - British GQ
- How TV and movie zombies have evolved from the mindless undead to superhuman killing machines - Yahoo News - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie properties a growing problem in Capital Region The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - November 29th, 2021
- Yeon Sang-ho Talks Season 2 of 'Hellbound' and Third Zombie Movie - - The Nerd Stash - November 29th, 2021
- Hellbound Creator Yeon Sang-ho Details Season 2 Plans, Teases Third Zombie Movie in World of Train to Busan - Variety - November 29th, 2021
- Recap: Weddings, funerals, and sexy time: Day of the Dead Ep. 7 gets at what it means to be a human (and not a zombie) - SYFY WIRE - November 29th, 2021
- BSU professor presents on zombies and colonialism as part of Native American Heritage Month events - Bemidji Pioneer - November 29th, 2021
- America's Favorite Zombie Officer Returns on 4K with Blue Underground's Maniac Cop II and III - Critical Blast - November 29th, 2021
- Warnings of orphan and zombie wells spark debate on bonding by oil, gas companies - The Denver Post - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie river? London's Thames, once biologically dead, has been coming back to life - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Zombies to the rescue: The arcane voting rule that could save Dems antitrust agenda - POLITICO - November 13th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Confirms The Munsters Officially Shooting, Offers Tease of Logo - ComicBook.com - November 13th, 2021
- LUCE: The zombie issues of legacy preference - Yale Daily News - November 13th, 2021
- RUPCO seeks to rehabilitate and sell 10 zombie properties in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - November 13th, 2021
- Stream Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Code Orange and more from Welcome To Rockville this weekend Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 13th, 2021
- Joivan Wade Talks About Doom Patrol's Cyborg, Being A Zombie, And His Doctor Who Inspiration - Exclusive Interview - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero