Do you guys remember the Zombie Chiefs?
Back when I ran this place in 2011, the Chiefs had kind of a strange season. They were heading into the third year of the Scott Pioli/Todd Haley regime and had won the AFC West the previous season with a 10-6 record, before falling to the Baltimore Ravens in the Wild Card round. Fans were expecting the young team took the next step by finally winning a playoff game.
Unfortunately, the 2011 Chiefs got off to a horrendous start. The team dropped its first three games, featuring back-to-back losses to the Buffalo Bills (41-7) and the Detroit Lions (48-3). Matt Cassel looked terrible. They were dark times.
When the calendar turned to October, as is often the case, the dead began to rise. Cassel started playing better, and the Chiefs resurrected their season by winning their next four games, capping off the run with a Halloween overtime victory over San Diego Chargers that I dubbed the Monday Night Nightmare. The team would eventually flame out and finish the season 7-9, but here at Arrowhead Addict, we had a lot of fun by nicknaming that Chiefs team the Zombie Chiefs throughout the month. The team dropped five of its next six games, but the Zombie Chiefs did make one more appearance on December 18th when they managed to knock off a 13-0 Packers team, handing them what would eventually be their only loss of the season. Thats right, in one last terrifying act, the Zombie Chiefs won a game they shouldnt have and helped Romeo Crennel, who was serving as interim head coach following the firing of Todd Haley, bring his own head coaching career back from the dead. Scary stuff. Then, just as quickly as they had climbed out of their graves, the Zombie Chiefs were gone.
After a eight-year rest, the Zombie Chiefs returned Sunday afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium. To make things even better, they left Zombie Cassel and company buried and instead featured a much more deadly Zombie Mahomes, Zombie Kelce and Zombie Dirty Dan Sorensen, the latter of which is clearly an upgraded version of Zombie Jon Quick Draw McGraw.
I was fortunate enough to be at Arrowhead Stadium last night and I am not exaggerating when I say that by the end of the first quarter, I felt like I was at an outdoor funeral that just happened to serve $12 Bud Lights. I went to the concession stand to start what I planned to be the first of a 30-beer evening. I was in the loudest stadium in the world and yet it was deathly quiet. It was a brutal scene.
Are any of you horror movie fans? If so, have you seen the Friday the 13th where Tommy Jarvis and a friend go to a cemetery to dig up Jason Voorhees just to make certain he is actually dead? When he sees the corpse, Tommy seeing the corpse, goes postal and starts cursing out Jason while repeatedly stabbing his rotting body with a piece of rod iron he pulls off the fence. Then lightning strikes the iron, sending a jolt of electricity through Jasons body, resurrecting him and making him basically invincible. Jason climbs out of the grave and kills Tommys friend after Tommys friend breaks a shovel over his head.
Well last night, the exact same thing happened at Arrowhead Stadium. Instead of Tommy Jarvis driving a pole through Jasons corpse, it was Texans coach Bill OBrien calling an idiotic fake punt from his own end of the field when his team was winning 24-7, thus giving a jolt of electricity to the crowd and resurrecting Patrick F. Mahomes.
Once that happened, the Zombie Chiefs were back and became an invincible, undead force that couldnt be stopped. The Chiefs players spent the rest of the game absolutely terrorizing the Texans and feasting on their brains. Well, they feasted on everyones brains except Bill OBriens because when they cracked open his skull, they found nothing but sand.
Just like I wrote before the game, the Chiefs have no excuse not to make the Super Bowl. My thinking in making that statement was simple: the Chiefs were the best team left in the AFC and the only way they could lose would be if they beat themselves. I may need to amend that line of thinking because now that the Zombie Chiefs are in the mix, it appears that even if they try to beat themselves, theyll still win.
The Titans are in trouble.
Player of the Game: Dirty Dan Sorensen
As brilliant as Mahomes and Kelce were last night, my player of the game award has to go to Dirty Dan. He was the undead beating heart of the team last night, making two crucial plays. First, he made OBrien pay for his stupid fake punt call, and he also forced a fumble that lead to the Chiefs offense taking over at the Texans six yard line.
AFC Championship Prediction:
The Chiefs need to do two things on Sunday. They need to get out to an early lead by executing on offense and they need to contain Derrick Henry. If they do those two things, they will force Ryan Tannehill beat them by throwing the football. I like their chances in that scenario.
Chiefs 37, Titans 24
(Note: A h/t to Tony Rangel, our old friend who created these awesome zombie graphics for us back in 2011.)
- Silk City Chorus annual show carries zombie theme - Journal Inquirer - January 16th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: Hands-on with the Co-op Shooter - Den of Geek US - January 16th, 2020
- 'My Zombie Wife' is the Super Weird Collection Game that's in Early Access on Android Right Now - Touch Arcade - January 16th, 2020
- 'The Return of the Living Dead' and Its Most Memorable Zombie, Tarman [It Came From the '80s] - Bloody Disgusting - January 16th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4 trailer breaks down the basics in mowing down the undead - PC Invasion - January 16th, 2020
- How zombie classic Night of the Living Dead is being brought back to life on stage in Leeds - Yorkshire Post - January 16th, 2020
- Remembering Dolores ORiordans hauntingly beautiful vocal on The Cranberries Zombie for MTV Unplugged - Far Out Magazine - January 16th, 2020
- 10 Awesome Zombie Games To Play While You Wait For The Last Of Us Part II - GameRant - January 16th, 2020
- Rob Zombies 3 From Hell Headed To Shudder Next Month - We Got This Covered - January 16th, 2020
- Selma Arts Center And SACTeen Blast From The Past With ZOMBIE PROM - Broadway World - January 16th, 2020
- Photo Flash: SACTeen Blasts From The Past In ZOMBIE PROM - Broadway World - January 16th, 2020
- Scientists have discovered a new species of parasitic wasps, zombie spiders - The Times Hub - January 16th, 2020
- REVEALED: Unelected Tory lord in attempt to rig indyref2 - The National - January 16th, 2020
- Oscilloscope Teams With Kindred Spirit To Acquire Makoto Nagahisas We Are Little Zombies - Deadline - January 15th, 2020
- The story of The Cranberries' Zombie single - Radio X - January 15th, 2020
- Dr. Terry Dubrow Saves 'Botched' Patient's 'Zombie Breast' - The Blast - January 15th, 2020
- Zombie Stock Alert: 1 Weed Stock That Could Rise From the Dead in 2020 - The Motley Fool Canada - January 15th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: "We want to embrace the horror movies of the 80s" - Asap Land - January 15th, 2020
- Citing dark money fears, coalition raises alarm over "zombie" FEC during pivotal 2020 elections - Salon - January 14th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln fights zombies ahead of Rick Grimes films - Metro.co.uk - January 14th, 2020
- All of Rob Zombie's Firefly Family Movies Ranked, Worst To Best - Screen Rant - January 14th, 2020
- Upcoming zombie movie Inmate Zero enlists the Great Orme as home of its terrifying prison | The Leader - LeaderLive - January 14th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Top 10 Zombie Maps In The Series | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2020
- The zombie world of viruses could hold the key to evolution itself - New Scientist - January 11th, 2020
- Negative Interest Rates Are Destroying the Middle Class and Sustaining Zombie Corporations, in Europe and Japan Bitcoin Is a Better Option Than Banks... - January 11th, 2020
- WATCH: Ina Raymundo reenacts terrifying zombie transformation scene in 'Block Z' - ABS-CBN News - January 11th, 2020
- Todays best Android app deals: Trine 2, Slaughter 2, Zombie Night, many more - 9to5Toys - January 11th, 2020
- Bryan Hall on "An Ethical Guidebook to the Zombie Apocalypse" - Westword - January 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Creators Aren't Afraid of Oversaturating the Zombie Market - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 10th, 2020
- Zombie Firms Arent Feeding Off Low Rates and Cheap Money - Yahoo Finance - January 10th, 2020
- Rick's Walking Dead Movie Will Greatly Expand the World of the Zombie Series - Gizmodo - January 10th, 2020
- Devil's Eyes is a zombie-infested survival horror game coming to iOS next week - Pocket Gamer - January 10th, 2020
- Co-Op Gameplay Footage of Zombie Army 4 is Making the Rounds - Co-Optimus.com - January 10th, 2020
- Zombie Busters VR Is A Friendlier Take On The Undead - VR And Fun - January 10th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Guitarist's Wife Shows Her Perfect Curves With A Tight Dress - Metalheadzone - January 10th, 2020
- Resident Evil 2 Remake mod unlocks the animations of distant zombies from 30fps to unlimited - DSOGaming - January 10th, 2020
- Resident Evil: Every Common Type of Zombie | Game Rant - GameRant - January 5th, 2020
- How one Iraqi man risked his life to save zoo animals from ISIS - New York Post - January 5th, 2020
- Beeple on creating a zombie Mark Zuckerberg and flesh-eating Baby Yoda to examine the times - The Verge - January 5th, 2020
- Theros: Beyond Death weekend spoilers feature Zombies and a legendary Satyr - Dot Esports - January 5th, 2020
- Big Changes Are Happening in Zombies 2 Sneak Peek - E! NEWS - January 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Baron John McAfee Claims He Put Up Show Together with CIA and Zombie Coin - U.Today - January 2nd, 2020
- THE WEREWOLVES MAKE IT TO SEABROOK IN NEW "ZOMBIE'S 2" TEASER TRAILER - BCK - January 2nd, 2020
- Korean Zombie on a mission to prove Asian men are as strong as every other man - MMA Mania - January 2nd, 2020
- 5 Zombie Movie Tropes That Are Immortal (& 5 That Are Braindead) - Screen Rant - January 2nd, 2020
- MTG Theros: Beyond Death goes zombie wide with Aphemia - Dot Esports - January 2nd, 2020
- State Of Survival: Survive The Zombie Apocalypse Ends 2019 With One Final Update - Happy Gamer - January 2nd, 2020
- Rob Zombie Remembered A Crazy Night And Left A Stunning Photo From That Night - Metalheadzone - January 2nd, 2020
- Dibakar Banerjee gets down to the business of scaring viewers - Telegraph India - January 2nd, 2020
- Dying Light 2: 5 Things We Already Know (& 5 Very Likely Possibilities) - GameRant - January 2nd, 2020
- Korean Zombie willing to fight once more to get UFC featherweight title shot - MMA Mania - December 31st, 2019
- Rob Zombie Reveals Crucial Gift He Got From Sharon And Ozzy Osbourne - Metalheadzone - December 31st, 2019
- Rob Zombie's Guardians Of The Galaxy Cameos Explained - Screen Rant - December 31st, 2019
- 10 Most Underrated Horror TV Shows From The Past Decade - Screen Rant - December 31st, 2019
- The Devils Rejects Almost Had A Very Different Cast - Screen Rant - December 31st, 2019
- Ellie from The Last of Us now in different zombie game - SVG - December 31st, 2019
- Halloween: Why Rob Zombie Hated Making His Movies | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - December 29th, 2019
- KISS Zombies #2: I Was Raised By the Demons, Trained To Reign as the One! - Comic Watch - December 29th, 2019
- Chris Roberson and Andrea Mutti raise the dead in new 2000 AD miniseries, Last Rites - SYFY WIRE - December 29th, 2019
- Rise of the ASX Zombies - Christopher Joye - Livewire Markets - December 27th, 2019
- Rob Zombie Reveals His Best Ever Video With Marilyn Manson - Metalheadzone - December 27th, 2019
- Rob Zombies Halloween Took Inspiration From TV Cut Of The 1978 Original - We Got This Covered - December 27th, 2019
- Rob Zombie Revisits The Firefly House - Dread Central - December 27th, 2019
- One Cut of the Dead Review: A Fresh Take on the Zombie Flick - The New York Times - December 25th, 2019
- George A. Romeros Zombie Movies Ranked, Worst to Best - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2019
- COD Black Ops 4: Classified How to Build the Zombie Shield - The Gamer HQ - December 25th, 2019
- The Korean Zombie Brings It All Back Home - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - December 24th, 2019
- Best mobile games of 2019 on iOS and Android - Metro.co.uk - December 24th, 2019
- Arson suspect who feared zombie apocalypse to get psych treatment - The Daily Post - December 23rd, 2019
- Verz Design Bi-Annual Team Cohesion with Zombies - Gamasutra - December 23rd, 2019
- Dynamite delivers a deadly zombie invasion with 7 connecting covers for 2020 - SYFY WIRE - December 23rd, 2019
- Rob Zombie Says House Of 1000 Corpses Is An Absolute Mess - We Got This Covered - December 23rd, 2019
- 'Korean Zombie' reveals eye condition, sees 'doubles of everything' - theScore - December 23rd, 2019
- The zombie Raptors top the zombie Wizards in a surprisingly close affair - Raptors Republic - December 23rd, 2019
- PHOTO | The Korean Zombie is shredded ahead of UFC Busan headliner - BJPenn.com - December 23rd, 2019
- New zombie law to banks: take control of foreclosed property or give it up - WIVB.com - News 4 - December 20th, 2019
- Why Zombie Tax Breaks Are So Hard to Kill - The Fiscal Times - December 20th, 2019
- Stranger than fiction! The weirdest stories of 2019, from zombie deer to blood floods - SYFY WIRE - December 20th, 2019
- 'Zombie fever' and lobster on the cards for a Grossi family Christmas - Good Food - December 20th, 2019
- "Zombie Army Trilogy" Will Come To Nintendo Switch In 2020 - Bleeding Cool News - December 20th, 2019
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero