Do you guys remember the Zombie Chiefs?
Back when I ran this place in 2011, the Chiefs had kind of a strange season. They were heading into the third year of the Scott Pioli/Todd Haley regime and had won the AFC West the previous season with a 10-6 record, before falling to the Baltimore Ravens in the Wild Card round. Fans were expecting the young team took the next step by finally winning a playoff game.
Unfortunately, the 2011 Chiefs got off to a horrendous start. The team dropped its first three games, featuring back-to-back losses to the Buffalo Bills (41-7) and the Detroit Lions (48-3). Matt Cassel looked terrible. They were dark times.
When the calendar turned to October, as is often the case, the dead began to rise. Cassel started playing better, and the Chiefs resurrected their season by winning their next four games, capping off the run with a Halloween overtime victory over San Diego Chargers that I dubbed the Monday Night Nightmare. The team would eventually flame out and finish the season 7-9, but here at Arrowhead Addict, we had a lot of fun by nicknaming that Chiefs team the Zombie Chiefs throughout the month. The team dropped five of its next six games, but the Zombie Chiefs did make one more appearance on December 18th when they managed to knock off a 13-0 Packers team, handing them what would eventually be their only loss of the season. Thats right, in one last terrifying act, the Zombie Chiefs won a game they shouldnt have and helped Romeo Crennel, who was serving as interim head coach following the firing of Todd Haley, bring his own head coaching career back from the dead. Scary stuff. Then, just as quickly as they had climbed out of their graves, the Zombie Chiefs were gone.
After a eight-year rest, the Zombie Chiefs returned Sunday afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium. To make things even better, they left Zombie Cassel and company buried and instead featured a much more deadly Zombie Mahomes, Zombie Kelce and Zombie Dirty Dan Sorensen, the latter of which is clearly an upgraded version of Zombie Jon Quick Draw McGraw.
I was fortunate enough to be at Arrowhead Stadium last night and I am not exaggerating when I say that by the end of the first quarter, I felt like I was at an outdoor funeral that just happened to serve $12 Bud Lights. I went to the concession stand to start what I planned to be the first of a 30-beer evening. I was in the loudest stadium in the world and yet it was deathly quiet. It was a brutal scene.
Are any of you horror movie fans? If so, have you seen the Friday the 13th where Tommy Jarvis and a friend go to a cemetery to dig up Jason Voorhees just to make certain he is actually dead? When he sees the corpse, Tommy seeing the corpse, goes postal and starts cursing out Jason while repeatedly stabbing his rotting body with a piece of rod iron he pulls off the fence. Then lightning strikes the iron, sending a jolt of electricity through Jasons body, resurrecting him and making him basically invincible. Jason climbs out of the grave and kills Tommys friend after Tommys friend breaks a shovel over his head.
Well last night, the exact same thing happened at Arrowhead Stadium. Instead of Tommy Jarvis driving a pole through Jasons corpse, it was Texans coach Bill OBrien calling an idiotic fake punt from his own end of the field when his team was winning 24-7, thus giving a jolt of electricity to the crowd and resurrecting Patrick F. Mahomes.
Once that happened, the Zombie Chiefs were back and became an invincible, undead force that couldnt be stopped. The Chiefs players spent the rest of the game absolutely terrorizing the Texans and feasting on their brains. Well, they feasted on everyones brains except Bill OBriens because when they cracked open his skull, they found nothing but sand.
Just like I wrote before the game, the Chiefs have no excuse not to make the Super Bowl. My thinking in making that statement was simple: the Chiefs were the best team left in the AFC and the only way they could lose would be if they beat themselves. I may need to amend that line of thinking because now that the Zombie Chiefs are in the mix, it appears that even if they try to beat themselves, theyll still win.
The Titans are in trouble.
Player of the Game: Dirty Dan Sorensen
As brilliant as Mahomes and Kelce were last night, my player of the game award has to go to Dirty Dan. He was the undead beating heart of the team last night, making two crucial plays. First, he made OBrien pay for his stupid fake punt call, and he also forced a fumble that lead to the Chiefs offense taking over at the Texans six yard line.
AFC Championship Prediction:
The Chiefs need to do two things on Sunday. They need to get out to an early lead by executing on offense and they need to contain Derrick Henry. If they do those two things, they will force Ryan Tannehill beat them by throwing the football. I like their chances in that scenario.
Chiefs 37, Titans 24
(Note: A h/t to Tony Rangel, our old friend who created these awesome zombie graphics for us back in 2011.)
- Say this for Nevada: Were in good shape to survive zombie apocalypse - Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 8th, 2020
- Theres a Growing Wave of Zombie Companies in Europe. The EU Recovery Fund Could Be a Solution, Bank of America says. - Barron's - July 8th, 2020
- Why Generation Z isn't the feared 'zombie' generation - ABA Journal - July 8th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare nearly had a zombies mode, and we've just got our first look at it - GamesRadar+ - July 8th, 2020
- Please don't feed the zombies - Editors' Columns - McKnight's Senior Living - July 8th, 2020
- The Cranberries "No Need to Argue" Remastered and expanded 2CD + 2LP vinyl edition, Expanded digital version to be Released September 18th -... - July 8th, 2020
- Kingdom Season 3: The Zombie Drama Is Returning In 2021 - The Buzz Paper - July 8th, 2020
- Santa Clarita Diet Season 4- Will Joel become a Zombie like in the new season? What are the latest u ... - Finance Rewind - July 8th, 2020
- Scientists found evidence of the belief in zombies among the inhabitants of Ancient Greece - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Endless Survival is a stylish MMO set in a dark world of zombies, critters, and malevolent witches - Pocket Gamer - July 7th, 2020
- States of Mind: The anti-Trump Republicans - RTE.ie - July 7th, 2020
- Minecraft Mobs Explored: The Zombie Horse, One Of The Fastest Ways Of Public Transportation - Happy Gamer - July 6th, 2020
- The Cranberries to reveal 'special announcement' on Facebook live - LMFM - July 6th, 2020
- Barristers turn to other jobs, chambers empty, as pandemic hits legal profession - The Age - July 6th, 2020
- Train To Busan On Netflix: Ranking The Korean Zombie Movie's 12 Most Shocking Scenes - GameSpot - July 5th, 2020
- The 12 Best Zombie Movies of All Time - Men's Health - July 4th, 2020
- County well-situated to fend off zombies - Berkshire Eagle - July 4th, 2020
- Krugman: Obamacare versus the GOP zombies - Opinion - The Register-Guard - July 4th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Teases Firefly Trilogy Limited Edition Blu-Ray - We Got This Covered - July 4th, 2020
- Black summer season 2-will Rose be able to win over an entire army of zombies? Will she do it on her own? - Finance Rewind - July 4th, 2020
- Hundreds of Brits report swarms of bleeding 'Covid zombie rats' invading their homes - Daily Star - July 4th, 2020
- Fans of Horror, Zombie and Apocalyptic Movies Are Better at Dealing With Pandemics, Study Claims - Tech Times - July 3rd, 2020
- Finding Ways to Curb the Flow of Zombie Appliances to Africa - Africa.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Zombie thriller Peninsula to screen in 185 countries - The Korea Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- Resident Evil 2 Remake: New Creepier Ivy Zombies! Why Does The Remake feel Better Without Them? - TechRadar247 - July 3rd, 2020
- Park Shin Hye Reveals Promise If #ALIVE Surpasses 2 Million Moviegoers, Shares Funny Story From Working With Zombie Actors, And More - soompi - July 3rd, 2020
- Spice zombie who took charity box says he thought it was tips jar - Liverpool Echo - July 3rd, 2020
- Markets are going through 'Japanification': Manish Chokhani - Times Now - July 3rd, 2020
- The 10 Most Overused Tropes & Cliches In Zombie Fiction, Ranked - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- The STEM Read Podcast - It Was Supposed To Be Zombies! With Daniel Kraus And Carolyn Ciesla - WNIJ and WNIU - July 1st, 2020
- The End of HQ Triviaand the Rise of Zombie HQ - The Ringer - July 1st, 2020
- The zombie days are over - The Star Online - July 1st, 2020
- The coronavirus is even more sinister than we suspected - Los Angeles Times - July 1st, 2020
- Train To Busan On Netflix: The Wildest Scenes From The Zombie Hit, Ranked - GameSpot - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Apocalypse Movies To Watch While You Wait For The Last of Us 2 - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- Rescue solvent companies but kill off zombies - Times of India - July 1st, 2020
- The Rise of Zombie Fires - Eos - July 1st, 2020
- We dont need any more zombie games - The Spinoff - July 1st, 2020
- Obamacare Versus the G.O.P. Zombies - The New York Times - July 1st, 2020
- Iowa is the #4 Best State to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse - AM 950 KOEL - July 1st, 2020
- Every Zombie Type in Last of Us 2 (& How To Kill Them) - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- Zombie thriller Peninsula to screen in 185 countries - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - July 1st, 2020
- Train To Busan On Netflix: The Craziest Scenes From The Zombie Hit, Ranked - GameSpot - July 1st, 2020
- Climate Change is the Reason 'Zombie Fires' Were Burning in the Arctic - News18 - July 1st, 2020
- Zombie Reference Dates and Payment Claim Graveyards - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- A zombie lie that is eating peoples brains: Paul Krugman blast GOPs claim they have a superior alternative to Obamacare - AlterNet - July 1st, 2020
- I repainted a zombie gnome to see what it would look like and now I have a cowering gnome - Boing Boing - July 1st, 2020
- Stay Calm Waiting For Me-The Korean Zombie Responds To Brian Ortega - Essentially Sports - July 1st, 2020
- Hollywood Rewind | Warm Bodies: A zombie comedy with heart - The Indian Express - July 1st, 2020
- The reason why Rick Grimes survived the zombie apocalypse in a coma - Explica - July 1st, 2020
- A 90s Cult TV Show Shared A Location With Rob Zombie's Halloween - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- South Korean zombie movie #Alive is a pandemic-era hit - straits times - July 1st, 2020
- Zombie Army Trilogy Nintendo Switch review: Gore on the go with generous Switch port - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Yoo Ah In And Park Shin Hye's Zombie Film #ALIVE Reaches 1 Million Moviegoers - soompi - July 1st, 2020
- 21 of the Best Horror Movies of All Time - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- In the event of a zombie apocalypse, Midwest is best with North Dakota coming in at the top - Grand Forks Herald - June 26th, 2020
- COVID, ignorance, zombies: Horror of the not-quite-everyday - Los Angeles Times - June 26th, 2020
- Time, family, work and bored zombies. New Zealanders open up about life in coronavirus lockdown - The Conversation AU - June 26th, 2020
- Dark Days: Zombie Survival tips to help you in the apocalypse - Pocket Gamer - June 26th, 2020
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Almost Cut Its Plant Zombies (& It Should Have) - Screen Rant - June 26th, 2020
- Get Ready For The Zombie Apocalypse With This Crazed Toyota Tundra - CarScoops - June 25th, 2020
- CUFF 2020 Review: Belgian zombie flick Yummy a tasty, tasteless, action-packed treat - theYYSCENE - June 25th, 2020
- You can kick zombie butt and play 'Harana' on The Last of Us Part 2 - Bandwagon - June 25th, 2020
- Minecraft 2020 Piglins: Are they replacing Zombie Pigmen? Nether, Trading, Location & More - RealSport - RealSport - June 25th, 2020
- LETTER | Let Covid-19 purge the tourism industry of 'zombies' - Malaysiakini - June 25th, 2020
- The prisoner voting law and the dawn of the zombie electors - The Spinoff - June 25th, 2020
- Man arrested after 'zombie knife' and drugs discovered in police raid - Cambridgeshire Live - June 25th, 2020
- Europe's job retention schemes have created 9 million 'zombie jobs,' analyst warns - CNBC - June 24th, 2020
- Zombie businesses pose a growing threat to Australian workers - The New Daily - June 24th, 2020
- Why no one in The Walking Dead uses the word zombie - Winter is Coming - June 20th, 2020
- Lilac Hills zombie project that just won't die - Escondido Grapevine - June 20th, 2020
- Zombie apocalypse show 'The Rain': Why you need to watch right now - Film Daily - June 20th, 2020
- 'Peninsula takes post-zombie apocalypse to another level - The Korea Herald - June 20th, 2020
- 'The Last of Us II' is out today. Here's where you can buy it. - NBC News - June 20th, 2020
- World War Z 2: Will Fans Get This Zombie Thriller Movie Again, Know Every Detail - The Digital Wise - June 20th, 2020
- Reality Z review: A treat for fans of zombies and end-of-the-world scenarios - The Hindu - June 18th, 2020
- Last of Us Part 2 - Where to Get the Bow - Attack of the Fanboy - June 18th, 2020
- Next Civilization VI Free Game Update Has Balance Changes, Zombies, and More Sean Bean - Attack of the Fanboy - June 18th, 2020
- How to find a village in Minecraft - Yahoo Tech - June 18th, 2020
- Yoo Ah In On Working With Park Shin Hye, Appearing On Home Alone, Difference Between #ALIVE And Peninsula, And More - soompi - June 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero