The fungus Entomophthora muscae has a survival strategy that's both fascinating and potentially going to put you off your next meal: it infects and 'zombifies' female houseflies before sending out irresistible chemical signalsencouraging male houseflies into necrophilia.
By luring these male flies into mating with zombified females, the fungus can transfer to the male fly and, in theory, have a better chance of further dispersal. The unlucky male fly is then taken over by E. muscae in the same way.
Crucial to the process is the release of sesquiterpenes, or chemical messages, which are synthesized in the female cadaver and sent out as a seductive signal. Based on the experiments carried out by the researchers, the longer the corpse has been dead, the more attractive it appears to be to the males.
"The chemical signals act as pheromones that bewitch male flies and cause an incredible urge for them to mate with lifeless female carcasses," says evolutionary biologist Henrik H. De Fine Licht, from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
Once E. muscae has infected a female fly with its spores, it starts to multiply. After around six days, it can control the behavior of the insect, sending it up to the highest possible point (on a wall or a plant) before it dies.Fungus spores are then sent out from the dead fly, hoping to land on another.
But as this new study shows, by enticing a male over, E. muscae can ensure it passes into at least one more host, which will carry its spores far and wide again.
The team used a variety of chemical analysis and genetic sequencing techniques to figure out exactly what the fungus was doing, as well as exposing male flies to female partners at different stages of fungal infection, or that had died from other causes.
"Our observations suggest that this is a very deliberate strategy for the fungus," says H. De Fine Licht. "It is a true master of manipulation and this is incredibly fascinating."
Tests showed that female fly corpses that had been dead for 3-8 hours attracted 15 percent of male flies, whereas with corpses that had been dead for 25-30 hours, that figure shot up to 73 percent. The more time that passed, the more chemical signals were released.
This isn't the only time that scientists have observed sesquiterpenes being used to attract the attention of insects. As chemical signals go, it appears to be one of the most effective at manipulating these tiny creatures.
There are plenty of opportunities for further research here, not least into effective fly repellents flies can infect humans with various diseases, and sesquiterpenes could be used to lure flies away from certain areas, such as where food is being prepared.
"This is where the Entomophthora muscae fungus may prove useful," says H. De Fine Licht. "It might be possible for us to use these same fungal fragrances as a biological pest control that attracts healthy males to a fly trap instead of a corpse."
The research has been published in the ISME Journal.
- Killing 'Zombie' Cells Emerges As Key to Reversing Covid-Induced Brain Aging - NDTV - November 25th, 2023
- Dave the Diver Dev Shows Off New Zombie Game - GameRant - November 25th, 2023
- 8 Best Zombie Films and Series on Netflix - Men's Journal - November 25th, 2023
- Rockstar once planned a zombie island survival game using GTA ... - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 25th, 2023
- 8 Best Zombie Films and Series on Netflix - Yahoo Life - November 25th, 2023
- The bloodiest zombie game of the year is going for half price this ... - Gamesradar - November 25th, 2023
- What a "zombie building" is and how to breathe new life into one ... - HOTELS - November 25th, 2023
- Proton packs and zombie bumper cars? Wonderverse in Oakbrook ... - Daily Herald - November 25th, 2023
- Zombie trees could be taking over your yard - NBC2 News - November 16th, 2023
- A "zombie" invasion will hit fintech and venture capital in 2025 - eFinancialCareers - November 16th, 2023
- Opinion: A zombie virus is spreading at A&M - Texas A&M The Battalion - November 16th, 2023
- Zombie knives and drugs seized as two men 'acting suspiciously ... - Yahoo News UK - November 16th, 2023
- Ofgem plans to cut wind and solar delays by stripping out zombie projects - The Guardian - November 16th, 2023
- Zombie Star Flashes Bright As A Supernova In Never-Before-Seen ... - IFLScience - November 16th, 2023
- 'I'm here for that!': Scarlett Johansson wants to play zombie version ... - Waco Tribune-Herald - November 16th, 2023
- Overwatch 2 finally releases Zombie Mercy skin and theres a cheap ... - Dexerto - November 16th, 2023
- Brain-Eating Zombie Apocalypse Overtakes Government And Media - The Daily Wire - November 16th, 2023
- Two illegal zombie knives and drugs seized thanks to officers who ... - Northumbria Police - November 16th, 2023
- Halloween advice: Prepare for the zombie apocalypse - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie firms are filing for bankruptcy as the Fed commits to higher rates - CNBC - November 2nd, 2023
- How to Fight Off 'Zombie Trees' on Your Property - NAR.realtor - November 2nd, 2023
- How the Fed fights zombie firms - CNBC - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie Foreclosures Are Still Very Much a Thing - DSNews.com - November 2nd, 2023
- War of the Zombie-Makers - Alameda Post - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie Hunting | News, Sports, Jobs - The Journal - NUjournal - November 2nd, 2023
- Who killed Mozi? Finally putting the IoT zombie botnet in its grave - We Live Security - November 2nd, 2023
- The zombie that's eating politics comes to King County - The Seattle Times - November 2nd, 2023
- Don't be a zombie when it comes to energy savings this Halloween ... - PR Newswire - November 2nd, 2023
- The annual Knoxville Zombie Walk 2023 presented by Screamville ... - Knoxville News Sentinel - November 2nd, 2023
- ZOMBIE TYCOON 2745-0097-9539 by juicysplash - TrackerFortnite - Fortnite News, Updates and Guides - November 2nd, 2023
- 5 times Star Wars turned into a zombie horror movie - Dork Side of the Force - November 2nd, 2023
- Funny Trailer For The Zombie Comedy AS WE KNOW IT ... - GeekTyrant - November 2nd, 2023
- Tune in Tonight: Family secrets, Boris Johnson and a zombie Xmas ... - The Republic - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie Invasion SLO returns after a three-year hiatus - KSBY News - November 2nd, 2023
- The makeup artist behind Kaplans first-ever zombie-themed WalkerFest - KLFY - November 2nd, 2023
- Shaun of the Dead's First Zombie's Surprisingly Practical Effects ... - Screen Rant - November 2nd, 2023
- Gizmodo Monday Puzzle: Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? - Gizmodo - November 2nd, 2023
- Theater review: Blank Canvas Theatre's 'Zombie Prom' is fun with a ... - chagrinvalleytoday.com - November 2nd, 2023
- Zombie: The Story Behind The Cranberries Deathless Classic - October 16th, 2023
- 'Zombie Plane' - Chuck Norris and Vanilla Ice Playing Themselves in Upcoming Zombie Action Movie - Bloody Disgusting - October 16th, 2023
- Is Birkenstock the anti-zombie brand? - Fast Company - October 16th, 2023
- Ancient 'zombie' viruses frozen in permafrost for 50,000 years are thawing due to climate change - and could h - Daily Mail - October 16th, 2023
- Zombie: Why Ireland's Rugby World Cup anthem is causing controversy - The Independent - October 16th, 2023
- Annual Lawrence Zombie Walk to bring on the undead - The Lawrence Times - October 16th, 2023
- Is Birkenstock the Anti-Zombie Brand? | Inc.com - Inc. - October 16th, 2023
- BAD dives to stop zombie apocalypse in Bolton! - Divernet - October 16th, 2023
- 10 Unconventional Zombie Movies You Should Watch This Halloween - MovieWeb - October 16th, 2023
- The 2023 SBC Zombie Walk: Zom-Beatz! - Shreveport Times - October 16th, 2023
- Zombie movie shot in the Heartland out on digital - KFVS - October 16th, 2023
- Behind the Mask: An inside look at Zombie Farms - Red and Black - October 16th, 2023
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: New Zombie Mode and Multiplayer ... - Game Is Hard - October 16th, 2023
- Local Filmmaker debuts his Decade of the Dead, zombie film at the ... - KITV Honolulu - October 16th, 2023
- Southwark Is The Worst London Borough To Be In During A Zombie ... - Time Out London - October 16th, 2023
- Saint Mary's alum teaches class on zombie makeup // The Observer - Observer Online - October 16th, 2023
- Shoppers Over 40 Are Stocking Up on This Zombie Facial Mask That Helps Every Skin Issue So Well Still on Sale Post-Prime Day - Yahoo Life - October 16th, 2023
- 10 Forgotten Zombie Movies to Check Out This Spooky Season - MovieWeb - October 16th, 2023
- Boise Bench comes alive with zombie dolls for 8th annual haunted backyard event - Idaho News - October 16th, 2023
- Dead Island 2 trades zombie fiction for the everyday reality of Silicon ... - PC Gamer - October 16th, 2023
- John 5 says he hasn't spoken to Rob Zombie since leaving his band to join Motley Crue - Metal Edge - May 13th, 2023
- Could Zombie-Ant Fungus Really Be The Last of Us?' NYC Expert Weighs In - NBC New York - April 27th, 2023
- Dead Island 2 review: an RPG as mindless as its zombies - Polygon - April 19th, 2023
- Top 5 cases of zombies from the real world - Medical News Today - April 8th, 2023
- Edmonton is where you want to be when the zombie apocalypse comes, study finds - National Post - March 23rd, 2023
- John Hennigan on Zombie Lumberjack Match: Damian Priests Reaction and Getting Ribbed By A Zombie - Fightful - March 6th, 2023
- The 30 Essential Zombie Movies to Watch - Rotten Tomatoes - February 18th, 2023
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero