The only time you should be less than six feet apart from someone in World of Warcraft is if youre a melee spec.Image: Blizzard Entertainment
Warcraft loves itself a plague. Some of the most iconic moments in its history as a piece of online culture are defined by them: the infamous bug that created the Corrupted Blood plague, the nostalgia-driven Wrath of the Lich King pre-patch event that saw players fight to avoid joining the undead scourge. That latter disease returns for the games latest event...but something feels off this time.
After a few weeks delay, next week World of Warcraft players will enter Shadowlands, the eighth expansion for the venerable MMORPG. After the current expansion (Battle for Azeroth) saw the worlds Alliance and Horde factions at each others throats, this one sees them form another tenuous partnership. This is a result of former Horde leader, Sylvanas Windrunner, going rogue and, err...tearing a hole in the fabric of reality between the world (of Warcraft) and the afterlife (of Warcraft?).
Its a lot. Shes not very nice. But, to celebrate the imminent arrival of Shadowlands, the game is currently hosting a special pre-expansion event, Deaths Rising. Part of it involves wrapping up some of the threads left from Battle for Azeroth while setting up whats to come in Shadowlands.
Sylvanas opened the tear in the world by defeating the Lich King, the controller of the undead legion known as the Scourge (formerly famous Warcraft III star Arthas Menethil, currently Wrath of the Lich King hero Bolvar Fordragon, hoo boy a lot has happened in like, 25 years of RTS-turned-MMO lore). Now, players find themselves on the hunt for her after shes kidnapped a bunch of faction leaders and whisked them away into the Shadowlands. That starts, mostly, by you flying over to the old haunt of Sylvanas second-in-command, noted undead asshole Nathanos Blightcaller, and confronting him for his actions by her side during the events of Battle for Azeroth. Also because, god, he really just is a real piece of shit.
G/O Media may get a commission
I killed him for doing a war crime and also being a piece of shit. He gave me a bow. I killed him again just because I felt like it. It was fun.
But thats only part of Deaths Risingthis week, the second phase of the event began. With the fabric between Life and Afterlife torn asunder in the Lich Kings defeat, the massive hordes of undead monsters that he was keeping at bay have become a mindless invasion force, assaulting the capital cities of the Alliance and Horde alike. Its a recreation of a similar beloved event that occurred in the run-up to the release of the Scourge-themed Naxxramas raid in vanilla WoWs Patch 1.11 in 2006, and then again ahead of the release of Wrath of the Lich King, World of Warcrafts second expansion, in 2008.
Basically, players have to help defend their capitals and other key locations across the world of Azeroth from mindless zombies. If theyre not careful, they too can contract the plague of undeath; without running to a healer or getting another player with the ability to cure disease debuffs in time, they transform into a zombie themselves that can, in turn, infect other players.
It creates all sorts of interesting player scenarios. Do you give in to the horde, and cackle as you turn your fellow players into zombie fodder? Do you fight back, banding with the guards of the besieged cities and the members of the Argent Dawn to stand strong against the scourge, healing the infected and blighting the damned before they have the chance to turn you and your allies?
Or...do you keep your distance from other players and avoid hotspots of big activitypublic spaces like auction houses or faction vendors, or the big hubs activity that are main cities like the Alliances Stormwind, and the Hordes Orgrimmar, in general? Theres a tension thats part of the charm: keep yourself safe, dont trust the people around you, be prepared for the undead to strike at any moment.
But there was something always lingering in the back of my mind as I played through this event. I wasnt really playing a lot of World of Warcraft for the first iterations of it, but have heard the legendary tales of players griefing each other, or fighting back as the zombies got harder and harder to beat, the disease more resistant to spells and healing abilities. Theres something about that kind of online, emergent storytelling that makes World of Warcraft such a compelling, community-driven experience in the first place.
Sure, social distancing doesnt matter in a video game, because youre a bunch of polygons interacting with other polygons. My Warcraft avatars dont need to wash their hands, the plague of Undeath is contracted through combat, not coughing on someone or touching an unclean surfacealthough you can use tokens earned during this version of the event to buy a magic broom that cleans spots of the infection up to avoid them sickening other players. Yet playing my Void Elf Hunter and taking some of the same kind of precautions trying to visit the Stormwind Bank as I would to go out and get groceries in a second-lockdown England is a weirdly real disconnect I dont need in a game where Im trying to play as a magical elven twink who shoots arrows real good.
These sorts of feelings arent really alien to Warcrafts history. The aforementioned Corrupted Blood incident was so similar to how diseases spread in the real world, scientists modeled it as a tool for tracking pandemics. A boss ability in an early vanilla raid, ZulGurub, was accidentally transferred into the wider game by a glitch, spreading among the general player base and killing unprepared players with reckless abandon. When the covid-19 outbreak for formally confirmed as a pandemic by WHO earlier this year, scientists once again pondered turning to it for parallels.
The Scourge Invasion of 2020 might be more reliant on player combativeness than a typical disease would; in fact, to avoid the griefing of yesteryear, Blizzard has actively made steps for it to be more of a thing you can choose to opt out of, or at least harder for newer players to have it thrust upon them. Yet, as we continue to live through a global pandemic that seems to be getting worse and worse, theres something oddly jarring about retreating to this fantasy world to find things feeling not as escapist as they should.
At least the masks in World of Warcraft look a bit more fanciful.
For more, make sure youre following us on our new Instagram @io9dotcom.
- This $23 emergency radio is all you need to survive the zombie (or robot) apocalypse - CNET - January 25th, 2021
- The real zombie threat as the Arctic thaws and other climate briefs - Haaretz - January 25th, 2021
- When the zombies come, I will be ready - Rochelle News Leader - January 25th, 2021
- The information warriors fighting 'robot zombie army' of coronavirus sceptics - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- Tips To Survive An Infinite Number Of Rounds In Black Ops: Cold Wars Zombies Mode - TheGamer - January 25th, 2021
- Yungblud and Machine Gun Kelly tease zombie film-inspired 'Acting Like That' video - NME.com - January 25th, 2021
- MGK, YUNGBLUD & Travis Barker "acting like that" l - Alternative Press - January 25th, 2021
- Rob Zombies John 5 Reveals Epic Stories While Recalling The First Time He Heard Rush - MetalCastle - January 25th, 2021
- Black Ops Cold War Zombies: 5 Boss Zombies That Need To Return (And 5 That Don't) - TheGamer - January 25th, 2021
- Why you stand a better chance of surviving a zombie apocalypse in Stoke-on-Trent than other parts of UK - Stoke-on-Trent Live - January 25th, 2021
- Call of Duty BOCW: Best Weapons and Loadouts for Zombies - EssentiallySports - January 25th, 2021
- I know just where to be when the zombie apocalypse hits - The Ogle County Life - January 22nd, 2021
- Nicollet Ave. project: a zombie streetcar and pot of Minneapolis money that nobody wants to talk about - MinnPost - January 22nd, 2021
- Zombie apocalypse map shows the best place to be in UK if the dead rose - Daily Express - January 22nd, 2021
- How The Day Of The Dead TV Show Can Best Connect To Romero's Zombie Movies - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- The Walking Dead: Does The Zombie Apocalypse Ever End? - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Editorial: County GOP's zombie idea marches on - The Island Now - January 22nd, 2021
- Zombie law: Sec 66As curious afterlife makes the case for police independence and legal literacy - The Times of India Blog - January 22nd, 2021
- Army Of The Dead: 8 Quick Things We Know About Zack Snyders Movie - CinemaBlend - January 22nd, 2021
- Death of the 'zombie' pipeline and calling out white supremacy in politics - APTN News - January 22nd, 2021
- Survive a zombie apocalypse while you get revenge on your cheating husband! - Gamasutra - January 22nd, 2021
- The Devil's Rejects: All 4 Movies That Inspired Rob Zombie Explained - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Lyra pays tribute to Dolores O'Riordan with beautiful cover of 'Zombie' on The Late Late Show - Irish Post - January 22nd, 2021
- Zombie cells and flu fighters - McGill Reporter - McGill Reporter - January 22nd, 2021
- Zombie film fans better equipped to deal with Covid-19 pandemic, shows study - The Financial Express - January 22nd, 2021
- Isolated in Pandemic: Is Zombie Terror a copy of #Alive? Or the opposite? Understand! - Designer Women - January 22nd, 2021
- Day of the Dead Show Confirmed To Connect To Original Movie - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- The Devil's Rejects: What Happened To The Firefly Family's Ranch Location - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Erick the Architect of Flatbush Zombies talks 'Future Proof': [it] isn't just an EP or album title - Brooklyn Vegan - January 22nd, 2021
- NZ's "zombie" companies in trouble - New Zealand Herald - January 22nd, 2021
- Explained: How zombie films may have prepared fans for Covid-19 pandemic - The Indian Express - January 15th, 2021
- Rob Zombie and AC/DC finally find their way onto 'Jeopardy!' - WAAF - January 15th, 2021
- The 10 best and worst cities to survive a zombie apocalypse revealed - The Sun - January 15th, 2021
- Zombie Capitalism Feeding On Death And Debt Lurches Into Fascism And Default Bomb - Scoop.co.nz - January 15th, 2021
- Zendaya, zombies and asteroids: The best new films coming to Netflix in 2021 - CBC.ca - January 15th, 2021
- How The Zombie Apocalypse Prepares You For The COVID-19 Pandemic - American Council on Science and Health - January 15th, 2021
- Magic: The Gathering - Kaldheim's Necromancy Cards Are INTENSE - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 15th, 2021
- Did Watching All Those Zombie Movies Prepare You For The Pandemic? Research Says Yes! - Forbes - January 12th, 2021
- Zombies Could Stunt the Bank Recovery - The Wall Street Journal - January 12th, 2021
- The Walking Dead: Earth's Safest City Has Mastered The Zombie Apocalypse - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- US Zombie Companies Are Now $2.6 Trillion in Debt. What Does That Mean for Investors? - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2021
- Brave History January 12th, 2021 - APRIL WINE, DEEP PURPLE, ROB ZOMBIE, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, LED ZEPPELIN, MERCENARY, THE BLACK CROWES, ICED... - January 12th, 2021
- How dealing with a zombie pandemic taught my students to think fast and think ethically - CEOWORLD magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Good News: Wyoming a Great Place to Survive Zombie Apocalypse - laramielive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Best Zombie Anime You Need to Stream Right Now - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - January 9th, 2021
- Zombie Apocalypse 2021? Some Twitter users think Nostradamus predicted Russian scientists will cause a plague of the undead - Monsters and Critics - January 3rd, 2021
- Prabhas to unveil trailer of upcoming Telegu film Zombie Reddy on January 2 - Republic World - January 3rd, 2021
- Discover What It Means To Be A Zombie In Adventure Game Surviving The Humans - TheGamer - December 31st, 2020
- Resident Evil Reboot Promo Art Reveals First Look At Zombie As Filming Wraps - We Got This Covered - December 31st, 2020
- Rob Zombie Appears on Cover of New Revolver Issue | Revolver - Revolver Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Mahesh Babu and Ranveer Singh Fight off Zombies in Viral Video - News18 - December 31st, 2020
- SNP accuses UK Govt of wasting millions of taxpayer pounds on 'zombie' Scotland Office - HeraldScotland - December 31st, 2020
- Wolves could hold the key to preventing 'zombie' disease threatening US deer populations - Telegraph.co.uk - December 31st, 2020
- Rob Zombie, Ghostemane and Poppy Appear on Covers of New Revolver Issue - Revolver Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- 'Zombie' greenhouse gas lurks in permafrost beneath the Arctic Ocean - Livescience.com - December 26th, 2020
- Abadon turned into a zombie and took a bite out of Hikaru Shida - Cageside Seats - December 26th, 2020
- Millions of mink infected with coronavirus to be BURNED after 'ZOMBIE uprising' from grave - Daily Express - December 26th, 2020
- The Dead Rise Once Again With New Marvel Zombies Pops From Funko - Bleeding Cool News - December 26th, 2020
- Resident Evil Reboot Original Video Game Zombie Revealed as Filming Wraps - MovieWeb - December 26th, 2020
- Anna and the Apocalypse: Every Song Ranked From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - December 26th, 2020
- Monroe County ordered to absorb the cost related to zombie homes in towns - RochesterFirst - December 26th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead mystery: Who is patient zero? - Undead Walking - December 26th, 2020
- Im worried that Hikaru Shida is turning into a zombie after being bitten by Abadon - Cageside Seats - December 26th, 2020
- The zombie comedy you need to watch on HBO Max - Looper - December 26th, 2020
- Call of Duty Zombies: The 5 Best Easter Eggs (& 5 Of The Worst) - TheGamer - December 26th, 2020
- Every Type of Zombie in Back 4 Blood | Game Rant - GameRant - December 22nd, 2020
- Holidays, celebrities and the zombie apocalypse - Washington Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Army of the Dead Prequel Cast Revealed by Zack Snyder in Set Photo - Collider - December 22nd, 2020
- 'Zombie Campaigns' Continue To Accrue Money, Years After Congressional Candidates Have Stopped Running - KJZZ - December 22nd, 2020
- Don't Wait to Wind Down 'Zombie' Subsidiaries - CFO - December 22nd, 2020
- Marvel Zombies & 9 Other Timelines Where Everything Went Wrong - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 22nd, 2020
- JOEY DIABOLIC Releases Cover Of WHITE ZOMBIE's "Creature Of The Wheel" - bravewords.com - December 22nd, 2020
- South Koreas Zombie Companies Are Scarier Than the Movies - The Wall Street Journal - December 21st, 2020
- Will the Fed Ever Stop Propping Up Zombie Companies? - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- Gangsters are PAID taxpayer cash to hand over weapons like zombie knives - Express - December 21st, 2020
- Newly discovered fungi turn flies into zombies and devour them from the inside out - Livescience.com - December 19th, 2020
- Zombie apocalypse simulation model indicates where we should hide. - The UBJ - December 19th, 2020
- BACK 4 BLOOD First Impression: Returning To Zombies With Originality - GameTyrant - December 19th, 2020
- New Zealand's highest court find that zombies do exist in New Zealand after all - Lexology - December 19th, 2020
- Fear not the zombie companies; focus on dealing with them - The Business Times - December 19th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero