The final months of 2020 saw the streaming wars escalate with both Disney and Warner Bros. throwing down the gauntlet, teasing fans with brand-name blockbusters, franchise-friendly seriesand a parade of big-screen movies soon to be streaming at aportal near you.
This week, the studio that kicked offthe streaming revolution announced its 2021 slate of films.With 70 titles, Netflix is promising a new movie every week far more than the 17 new films Warner Bros. plans tostream on HBO Max in 2021.
Perhaps more surprising is how the studio is differentiating itself. In an industry where originality can be hard to come by, Netflix is embracing whatmost major studios have moved on from: the middle-sized movie.
Not quite a blockbuster, not quite an indie darling, the new slate of films features plenty oforiginal concepts with star power, not nostalgia, as the main selling feature.
Below, some of the best bets worth waiting for.
Director Zack Snyderbegan his grim and gritty career with the 2004 zombie remake ofDawn of the Dead. Nowhe's back with Army of the Dead, which adds aVegas heistand Dave Bautista to the mix.
Canadian director Mark Raso has shown a talent for ruminative character studieswithKodachrome and Copenhagen. With Awake he appears to be dipping into something more speculative. The film takes place after an event wipes out all electronics and the ability to sleep.StarsGina Rodriguez.
Director Andrew Dominik'sfilmsKilling Them Softly andThe Assassination of Jesse Jamestake place at the intersection of wounded male ego, pride and violence.Now he'sshifting his gaze to tell the story of Marilyn Monroe with Cuban Ana de Armas as the American bombshell.
From director Gitanjali Rao, Bombay Rose looks to be a luscious animated film about the love between a Hindu girl and Muslim boy. Set in an Indian city, the hand-painted film was featured at TIFF in 2019.
Netflix reportedly shelled out $20 million USfor Halle Berry's directorial debut. The film follows amixed martial arts fighter who is struggling to re-establish a relationship with her son.Halle Berry says she was struck by the screenplay which was originally built around a 20-something Irish-Catholic fighter and changedit so she could play the role. When the right director wasn't available,Berry stepped in.
Idris Elba fans may flock to the film based around the true-life Black urban-cowboys of North Philadelphia. Elba sitting tall in the saddle may be marketing muscle, but this is really Caleb McLaughlin's film (last seen in Stranger Things).
Where was this hiding? Adam McKay, the filmmaker behind The Big Short,is back with this star-packed film featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Timothe Chalamet, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep and Matthew Perry. With a story about astronomers warning about a world-smashing asteroid, it will be interesting to see how McKay pivots from more politically minded features.
This black comedy made the rounds at TIFF 2020 and starsRosamund Pike as an amoral legal guardian looking to swindle Dianne Wiest.Features a great turn by Peter Dinklage as a criminal used to getting his way.
Coming Feb.5, Zendaya collaborated with Euphoria creator Sam Levinson to shoot this intimate character study during the pandemic.The black and white film features Tenet's John David Washington as a filmmaker who is supposed to be celebrating when the evening takes a turn.
With Luce and WavesKelvin Harrison Jr.has established a reputation as an actor who creates magnetic,visceral performances. (I adored Waves, check it out.) Now he's back at the centre of Monster, playing another multilayered character ensnared by amurder plot.
Here's the big one with the big guns and the budget to match.Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson teamed up with Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot for this $160 million action film about a global hunt for Interpol's two most wanted criminals. Reynolds was great fun needling The Rock inFast & Furious: Hobbs and Shaw. No surprise Johnson recruited thecharismatic Canadian again.
Take Bend it Like Beckham, set in India and make it about skateboarding and you have Skater Girl, a new film from Manjari Makijany about a teen in rural India who dreams of competing at the national level.
While I couldn'tstick with Jason Momoa's See on Apple TV+, I'll happily click on what looks like an amped-up revenge story with Momoa as a husband hell-bent on protecting his daughter.Watch out Liam Neeson, he's coming for your turf.
Any new film from New Zealand directorJane Campion is an event. A new film starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemonsand Manitoba-bornAdam Beach is worth waiting for.Cumberbatch and Plemons play brothers in what appears to be a twisted family drama based on the novel by Thomas Savage.
I've missed Lana Condor, haven't you? The continuing adventures of Lara Jeanwrapup in February with the final instalment based on the books by Jenny Han.
Warner Bros. may have Lin-Manuel Miranda's musical In the Heights, but Netflix has the Hamilton creator'sdirectorial debut. The film stars Andrew Garfield as a New Yorker in the 90s who dreams of writing the next great musical.
WATCH | Netflix previews 70 new films it will stream in 2021:
Here is the original post:
Zendaya, zombies and asteroids: The best new films coming to Netflix in 2021 - CBC.ca
- Indias zombie home fund set to deliver thousands of apartments - The Real Deal - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie infection threat as country unlocks 50,000-year-old viruses - Yahoo News Australia - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie rises from his grave this March for PC via Steam - PC Invasion - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie Hit Train To Busan Is Getting A US Remake - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says the meat industrys future is unsustainable - NME.com - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse - Yahoo Entertainment - February 20th, 2021
- Batista Wanted To Play A Zombie On The Walking Dead, Rejected For Being "Too Big" - Fightful - February 20th, 2021
- Dave Bautista told he was too big to play zombie on The Walking Dead - NME - February 17th, 2021
- Dave Bautista Offered To Play A Zombie For Free On The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Is plurilateralism making the WTO an institutional zombie? - East Asia Forum - February 17th, 2021
- REVIEW: Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Vol. 1 is a Comedic Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Don't Eat Pete is a zombie survival game that's available now for Android in Early Access - Pocket Gamer - February 17th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone seems to be teasing Zombies - Gamesradar - February 17th, 2021
- James Gunn Weighs In On Whether Zombies Or Vampires Are More Dangerous - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead back on the march - Stuff.co.nz - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Turned Dave Bautista Down for a Zombie Role - Superherohype.com - February 16th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Image Teases Zombie Heist Movie - /FILM - February 16th, 2021
- The Real Life Diet of Rob Zombie, Who Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - British GQ - February 16th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says veganism is about 'fighting the establishment' - Vegan Food and Living - February 16th, 2021
- The Next Generation of Marvel Zombies Is Already in the Marvel Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 16th, 2021
- It Looks Like Zombies Are Coming To Warzone Season 2 | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 16th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Explains Why He Went Vegan "It Is Anti-Establishment" - Metal Injection - February 14th, 2021
- Zombie Baseballs and MLBs Home Run Problem - The Wall Street Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - GQ - February 14th, 2021
- This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse - We Are The Mighty - February 14th, 2021
- 3 Cookbooks and guides to teach you how to survive during the eventual zombie apocalypse - Undead Walking - February 14th, 2021
- Call Of Duty Zombies: All Zombies Crews, Ranked - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Tesla : Which is the best EV to own to survive a zombie apocalypse? - marketscreener.com - February 14th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Watch Every Season Of iZombie - Looper - February 14th, 2021
- What's The 1st Thing You'd Grab If Zombies Invaded Twin Falls? - kezj.com - February 14th, 2021
- Kennedy: Banks, communities need to collaborate on zombie property upkeep - The Daily Gazette - February 10th, 2021
- Zombies Attack Bend! [With Video] - The Source Weekly - February 10th, 2021
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Braaaaaaaains - tor.com - February 10th, 2021
- These Bulletproof Vehicles Are Perfect For Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse - HotCars - February 10th, 2021
- How a Left 4 Dead Remaster Could Revive the Zombie Shooter Genre - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 10th, 2021
- Rise of Barnegat Light's Zombie Whale; It Starts With Dead Bigfoots, the Devils - The SandPaper - February 10th, 2021
- The Senate should do everything it can to avoid a zombie impeachment trial - CNN - February 9th, 2021
- 8 Video Game Zombies That Break the Traditional Mold - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Four Days Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Is Ruling The Box Office. - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- Colm O'Regan: The perfect Valentine's Day gift - a zombie plan for the one you love - Irish Examiner - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Third Day Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Passes The Weekend On A Phenomenal Note - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Witch Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Reanimation and Zombies: Discussion with author Frank Swain - WLNS - February 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Is Returning In a Unique Re-release From Aspyr Media - Happy Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Author discussion to explore reanimation, zombies - The Hillsdale Daily News - February 9th, 2021
- Not Ready to Die: These 5 'zombie' cars were sold alongside their replacements - Driving - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy movie review: When the zombies attack Seema - The Hindu - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie comes back from the dead in March, achievements revealed - TrueAchievements - February 5th, 2021
- Prasanth Varma: Zombie Reddy doesnt make a joke out of zombies - The Indian Express - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Re-Release Launching in March | Game Rant - GameRant - February 5th, 2021
- Shang-Chi Finally Found the Cure for the Newest Kind of Marvel Zombie - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 5th, 2021
- Free-Roam VR Unleashed - The Source Weekly - February 5th, 2021
- Releasing Today: Zombie Attack On Box Office.. - Greatandhra.com - February 5th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE's New Album Was Completed A Couple Years Ago - Metal Injection - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie nation: Third of adults walking around in concussion-like daze due to stress, lack of sleep - Study Finds - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Achievements Listing Hints a Re-release in March - The Nerd Stash - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse Re-Release Hinted - NoobFeed - February 5th, 2021
- Splunking the Zombie Apocalypse - Security Boulevard - February 4th, 2021
- The Last of Us Meets The Division In Zombie MMO The Day Before - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Zombie-Bite Politics - The Dispatch - The Dispatch - February 4th, 2021
- World War Z & 9 More Of The Highest-Grossing Zombie Movies Of All Time - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- AOC's terrifying account of the Capitol siege: 'It almost felt like a zombie movie' - CNET - February 4th, 2021
- Korean Zombie says he hit rock bottom and gained over 40 lbs after loss to Brian Ortega - Bloody Elbow - February 4th, 2021
- Varun Tej heaps praise on Teja Sajja at Zombie Reddy pre-release event - Times of India - February 4th, 2021
- Cold War Zombies: How to Upgrade The D.I.E Shockwave - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Releases New Single And Video 'The Eternal Struggles Of The Howling Man' | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - February 4th, 2021
- THE WALKING DEAD Season 10 "Ties that Bind" Trailer (2021) Zombie Horror - JoBlo.com - February 4th, 2021
- Feeding monopolies and zombies: Made in the USA: Socialism for the Rich. Capitalism for the Rest - The Times of India Blog - January 30th, 2021
- Hear Rob Zombie's Raucous New Song "The Eternal Struggles of the Howling Man" - Revolver Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- The Korean Zombie says he hit rock bottom and gained 20kgs following loss to Brian Ortega - BJPENN.COM - January 30th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE To Release A New Song This Friday - Metal Injection - January 30th, 2021
- The Day Before Is Basically The Division with Zombie-like Infected - Wccftech - January 30th, 2021
- USM Alumna's Novel Included on Best Fiction for Young Adults List - Southern Miss Now - January 30th, 2021
- Zombies and Neon Fury Star in Howie Lees Insane New Music Video - RADII - January 30th, 2021
- This $23 emergency radio is all you need to survive the zombie (or robot) apocalypse - CNET - January 25th, 2021
- The real zombie threat as the Arctic thaws and other climate briefs - Haaretz - January 25th, 2021
- When the zombies come, I will be ready - Rochelle News Leader - January 25th, 2021
- The information warriors fighting 'robot zombie army' of coronavirus sceptics - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- Tips To Survive An Infinite Number Of Rounds In Black Ops: Cold Wars Zombies Mode - TheGamer - January 25th, 2021
- Yungblud and Machine Gun Kelly tease zombie film-inspired 'Acting Like That' video - NME.com - January 25th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero