A fungus that looks like an already decaying human fingers is endangered but trying to survive in Australia, placing its zombie-like digits all over trees that fell on an island not too far from the southern coast of the continent.
(Photo : Getty Images)
Hypocreopsis amplectens is commonly referred to as tea-tree fingers, because its shape looks like plump human fingers attaching itself to wood on the forest floor, though the fungus' spotted pinkish-brown color and texture make those digits appear more lifeless than living.
These Tea-tree fingers are very rare, and these fingers exist in just a few locations on the mainland of Victoria in southeastern Australia. But a tour that was headed by scientists from Australia's Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria (RBGV) recently gave confirmation that the fungus has increased the tightness of its grip in not less than two other areas in the Australian state.
A postdoctoral fellow at RBGV and also a leader of the fungus-finding expedition, Michael Amor said the fleshy looks of the fungus may be frightening to humans, but it developed into that strange shape to aid in its survival.
Also Read:The Potential of Mycology or Fungi Megascience in Advancing Our Knowledge and Technology
Amor told Live Science in an email that as it is discovered on dead, usually detached branches, the finger-like form may assist its flexibility in developing over curves/crevices and surviving with bending, cracking, and falling.
The fungus is parasitic, developing on another fungus host that decays wood. It's also a palatable meal for moth larvae and other insects, "so it is an instance of the complex food-webs that characterise complete ecosystems," Amor said.
According to an RBGV statement, a group of researchers together with volunteers reported discovering tea-tree fingers in two places at a safeguarded national park on French Island, Victoria. One of those regions has the largest population of tea-tree fingers ever recorded, more than 100 individual fruiting bodies, beyond the total fungus population at all the locations on the mainland.
(Photo : Getty Images)
Discovering a lot of instances of these lifeless-looking digits gives some sort of hope for the future of parasite, as a warming climate and loss of habitat are making the fungus lose its power on the mainland, according to the statement.
Amor explained in the email, saying tea-tree fingers is a very specialised fungus that needs a unique set of conditions in order to develop. It needs a particular tree species to happen at just the perfect density to make ideal humidity and canopy cover available. "Large regions of natural vegetation are needed to permit these particular micro-climates to take place and, unfortunately, these alarming rate are been lost.
Amor is making use of DNA analysis to know whether the fragmentation of habitat and isolation of the fungus populations has some impact on their genetic health. Other ecologists are carrying out investigations concerning the delicate balance of organisms in the fungus' ecosystems, to spot the conditions that give the fungus permission to thrive.
Related Article:Wooden Floors With Sprouting Fungi Produce Electricity When Walked On!
For more news, updates about parasitic fungus and similar topics don't forget to follow Nature World News!
2021 NatureWorldNews.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
- How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads - POLITICO - September 24th, 2022
- Get ready for the zombie apocalypse | UNC-Chapel Hill - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - September 24th, 2022
- 'An Army of Zombies Is Leading Us to Hell': A Russian Who Fled Putin's Draft Speaks Out - The Atlantic - September 24th, 2022
- Geneva High School theater to show '10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse!' - Daily Herald - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie Wasp Pictured After Parasitic Fungi Took Over Its Body - Newsweek - September 24th, 2022
- An Malnourished Zombie Horror Tears Strips off the Streaming Ranks - We Got This Covered - September 24th, 2022
- You Can Get A Whole Daycare Of Zombie Babies Just In Time For Halloween - Totally The Bomb - September 24th, 2022
- Halloween invasion of Newquay by zombies will thrill and scare you - Cornwall Live - September 24th, 2022
- Chucky To Become A Zombie? - Giant Freakin Robot - September 24th, 2022
- TGS 2022: Hands-On with KEMCO's Upcoming Horror RPG 'Zombie of the Dot' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - September 24th, 2022
- 'The Munsters': Rob Zombie on Giving Fans the Prequel They've Been Waiting For - Blue Mountain Eagle - September 24th, 2022
- Covers Uncovered - Nick Percival's Zombie Dredd Takes The Throne For Megazine 448 | 2000 AD - 2000 AD - September 24th, 2022
- The Walking Dead's New Smart Zombies Are Rooted in the Show's First Episodes - ComicBook.com - September 24th, 2022
- Robots, NatCons, and the Zombie Apocalypse - The Bulwark - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie horror-comedy The Loneliest Boy in the World gets a trailer and poster - Flickering Myth - September 24th, 2022
- The story of how Zombie Nation became a Welsh techno anthem - Nation.Cymru - September 24th, 2022
- Visiting This Secluded Zombie Town In Texas Is One You Will Enjoy - klaq.com - September 24th, 2022
- Most bizarre September 24 Doomsday conspiracy theories from aliens & zombies to WWIII after eerie solar... - The US Sun - September 24th, 2022
- Do you have 'zombie trees' in your yard? Here's how to spot them - Fox Weather - September 16th, 2022
- A Zombie Idea: Saving Agricultural Water Through Technology - The Paper. - September 16th, 2022
- The Beatles' 'Helter Skelter': Why Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson Covered the Song Together - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 16th, 2022
- Drop Dead: The Cabin CoD: Zombies Meets Stranger Things - UploadVR - September 16th, 2022
- Sitges Fanpitch Sets The Hour of the Sorcerer, Zombie Meteor, Bloody Mary (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - September 16th, 2022
- Collected Is This A Zombie? Blu-ray Released Monday - Anime News Network - September 16th, 2022
- Dreamy popsicle cocktails are having a moment in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - September 16th, 2022
- The Office's Dunder Mifflin is Recreated in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake - Esquire - September 16th, 2022
- Pedro Snchez only lacks the zombies, but what would they be like? - Gearrice - September 16th, 2022
- The Asbury Park Zombie Walk 2022 is here! - 94.5 PST - September 8th, 2022
- Glaciers and "zombie ice": The planet is melting at both ends, research finds - Salon - September 8th, 2022
- Zombies are coming - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - September 8th, 2022
- Commentary: September is the time to prepare for the 'zombie apocalypse' - Standard-Examiner - September 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Games to Survive in this September 2022 - ClutchPoints - September 8th, 2022
- No zombie zone: Forest Service orders removal of reported film set in Green Canyon that went too far - The Herald Journal - September 8th, 2022
- Everyone loves a good zombie, apparently | What the Heckle? - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2022
- 'Sins of Our Mother': Lori Vallow Claimed Her Children Had Turned Into 'Zombies' Before Their Disappearance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 8th, 2022
- Zoinks! The 10 Best 'Scooby-Doo' Films, From 'Monsters Unleashed' to 'Zombie Island' - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- 13 Great Funny Movies About Vampires, Zombies, And Other Classic Monsters - CinemaBlend - September 8th, 2022
- The Munsters: This Rock Legend Is Making An Unexpected Cameo in Rob Zombies Prequel - Dread Central - September 8th, 2022
- Light House Studio's Youth Film Festival covers everything from A to zombies - The Daily Progress - September 8th, 2022
- The Greatest Zombie Movie Of All Time Is Streaming For Free - Giant Freakin Robot - August 22nd, 2022
- TV, Interrupted: Post-Zombie Apocalypse Series In The Flesh Was Buried Too Soon - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Tales of the Walking Dead' Season One, Episode Two Recap - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Zombie fungus' bursts out of a dead fly in contest-winning photo - Livescience.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Sally Phillips: How would I survive a zombie attack? Get another puppy - The Guardian - August 22nd, 2022
- Apocalypse arrives for the 'zombie' companies haunting UK growth - The Telegraph - August 22nd, 2022
- 60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer - August 22nd, 2022
- Did Congress just warn of a zombie attack? No, that video is fake, and satirical - PolitiFact - August 22nd, 2022
- 10 years ago, one incredible zombie movie redefined an entire style of film - Inverse - August 22nd, 2022
- ZOMBIE PROPERTY COUNT INCHES UP AGAIN IN THIRD QUARTER OF 2022 ACROSS U.S. AMID CONTINUED RISE IN FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY - PR Newswire - August 22nd, 2022
- I wore a metaverse suit into a terrifying Zombie VR world Im still haunted by it... - The US Sun - August 22nd, 2022
- Dungeon Munchies is an RPG platformer where you're a zombie, and worse, an unpaid intern - PC Gamer - August 22nd, 2022
- Insiders tell of 'zombie government' as Johnson lives it up in Greece on holiday - The National - August 22nd, 2022
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
- The Future of 'The Walking Dead' Universe Will Be Characterized By a New Zombie Variant - Pajiba Entertainment News - August 14th, 2022
- Inside the abandoned 'zombie like' cottage left untouched since a heartbreaking tragedy - The Mirror - August 14th, 2022
- Time traveller from 2906 claims world will face a plague of zombie pigs later this year - Daily Star - August 14th, 2022
- Tearful Martin Lewis slams 'zombie' Government for crisis as bad as pandemic - Wales Online - August 14th, 2022
- Lauren Boebert talks monkeypox and "zombie Reagan" on BlazeTV - Salon - August 6th, 2022
- The Zombie of Recession Died Today - TheStranger.com - August 6th, 2022
- Nonstop Action Drives Korean Zombie Thriller Carter to Badass Heights - Paste Magazine - August 6th, 2022
- LifeAfter: Sea of Zombie launches next week, taking players on a new adventure in search of the Pureland - Pocket Gamer - August 6th, 2022
- As We Know It: Everything We Know So Far About The Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse Movie - /Film - August 6th, 2022
- Steve Vai reveals the pedals he couldn't live without, zombie apocalypse or no zombie apocalypse - MusicRadar - August 6th, 2022
- REVIEW: Rob Zombie Invades Camden with The Freaks On Parade Tour - wmmr.com - August 6th, 2022
- Mobile laser tag (and zombies) is coming to Hattiesburg - HubcitySPOKES.com - August 6th, 2022
- Pam Grier, 30 Rocks Chris Parnell and Project X Star Oliver Cooper to Lead Zombie Apocalypse Movie As We Know It (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - August 6th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Jumps 35 Years Into the Future - Post Apocalyptic Media - August 6th, 2022
- This gay-hating GOP nominee once worked for Rosie O'Donnell and starred in a zombie golden shower film - Queerty - August 6th, 2022
- Walking Dead Isle of the Dead Filming Holmdel East Rutherford NJ - 943thepoint.com - August 6th, 2022
- Crowd of teens and man 'arrested with knife' moments boy, 15, stabbed to death - My London - August 6th, 2022
- Hear 2 Tracks From Rob Zombie's 'Munsters' Soundtrack Right Now - Loudwire - July 28th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Revisits Zombie Outbreak in Atlanta 2010 - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2022
- Warzone zombies rise again in season four update - PCGamesN - July 28th, 2022
- This Horrifying Zombie Fungus Forces Males to Mate With The Dead. Now We Know How - ScienceAlert - July 28th, 2022
- When is Rob Zombies The Munsters coming to Netflix? - 1428 Elm - July 28th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero