Industrial farming practices like monocropping and tilling are stripping our soils of vital nutrients and structure, making it increasingly difficult to grow healthy crops. Regenerative agriculture practices, a callback to heritage farming, can help restore the soil.
Theres a big difference between soil and dirt. You can tell just by looking at it or running it through your hands, or even how it smells or tastes. But most of all, you can tell by the quality of the crops that grow in it. The difference between soil and dirt is that the former is nutritious and healthy, and the latter is depleted and dead.
Unfortunately, current industrial farming practices in the United States are turning once-fertile soil into now-useless dirt. Its a problem thats been growing worse and worse for decades, and were reaching a tipping point. For U.S. agriculture to deviate from the unsustainable path that its on, we need to trade industrialized farming practices for heritage ones. Its time to start turning dirt back into soil.
Industrial farming is a practice thats rooted in efficiency. The farmers goal is to maximize crop yield, and it often happens at the expense of the soil. Monocropping is the most egregious practice, which sees one specific cash crop planted in bulk soybeans, wheat, or corn. The successive planting of these same crops year over year depletes the nutrient profile of the soil, eroding its ability to nourish new crops.
A host of other problems abound from monocropping. Weaker crop yields over successive years leave fields susceptible to blight, which forces farmers to use nitrate-heavy soil supplements (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) to encourage better growth. This, unfortunately, kills off vital microbes and fungi that cant survive in acidified soil. To make matters worse, the soil is also treated with pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides, which further pollute and unbalance the natural microbiome.
All this is made worse by tilling the practice of turning soil for mass planting. Tilling breaks up the soil structure, turning healthy topsoil into dirt. Its a practice that was partially responsible for the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. The loose, sandy nature of tilled soil is easily windswept and eroded, leaving fields even more depleted.
Unsustainable farming practices were partly responsible for the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. Image: Dorothea Lange, Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons
The unfortunate reality is that these practices are common on a significant portion of Americas 900 million acres of industrialized farmland and have been for decades. Were now beginning to realize the effects of these practices in the form of depleted fields, huge crop failures, and rising farm subsidies.
Like all manmade ecological disasters, were hopelessly behind on remedying the effects of industrialized farming. Unlike many such disasters, however, theres an opportunity to salvage the situation. But we need to act now in adopting regenerative agriculture.
Regenerative agriculture practices, simply stated, are a callback to heritage farming: treat the land with respect and allow nature to rejuvenate itself through sustainable means. First and foremost, regenerative agriculture means rotational cropping and integrated cropping. For example, planting hardy root and bulb plants such as garlic or onions alongside more traditional crops can help rebalance the nutrient profile of the soil. This consistent variety of crops restores the soil; its also a more efficient use of land.
Perhaps the most important industrialized practice to abandon is tillage. Resisting the urge to till the earth allows the soil to reform its structure, to better support a nutrient-dense profile and moisture retention, and to anchor plants and roots more effectively. This no-till practice is further aided by cover-cropping and natural fertilization, which protect the soil from erosion, wind, and intense UV exposure. The result is nourished soil thats ready to reciprocate this nourishment to the crops planted in it.
The culmination of these regenerative farming practices is a restoration of the soil specifically the microbiome of nutrients, fungi, insects, and other microorganisms that work together to support healthy, prolific plant growth.
Regenerative practices like planting hardy root and bulb plants alongside more traditional crops can help rebalance the nutrient profile of the soil. Image: Couleur, Pixabay
By conservative estimates, it takes roughly 500 years for the Earth to regenerate one inch of topsoil. To say a return to heritage farming practices is overdue is an understatement. Thankfully, its not too late to mitigate and reverse the damage. But it requires a commitment to heritage practices that may not yield noticeable results for years.
No multi-generation farmer wants to be the one to change practices and see their farm suffer, but the fact is, reliance on the current standards leads to failure in due course. Nows the time to pivot, commit, and persevere so the next generation of croppers can harvest bountiful, healthy crops decades from now.
After 20 years working in the biotech and pharmaceutical medicine areas, Jennifer Maynard shifted her focus to food as medicine. She is the founder of Greater Greens, a regenerative organic farm, and co-founder of Nutrition for Longevity, a farm-to-fork meal kitting company that brings nutritionally tailored meals to the masses direct from her farm.
- The Zombie Comedy Killing It On Netflix Right Now Looper - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Scene with Full Frontal Zombie Nudity Didnt Make Final Cut: Its Too Much - IndieWire - May 8th, 2021
- Army Of The Dead removed scene with full-frontal zombie nudity from final cut - NME - May 8th, 2021
- Play Days Gone without the annoying zombie hordes with Open Country - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- Ranking All 8 ROB ZOMBIE Movies Worst to Best - Dread Central - May 8th, 2021
- Serial pleasures: The TV series that got us through lockdown - The Irish Times - May 8th, 2021
- George A. Romeros final zombie film is being finished by his widow - NME - May 8th, 2021
- New 'Army of the Dead' Clip Teases New Type of Zombies - HYPEBEAST - May 8th, 2021
- Mystery as zombie nuclear fires REIGNITE at Chernobyl blast site 35 years on sparking fears of another di... - The Sun - May 8th, 2021
- Desi Nostradamus is wrong. The zombies are already here - The Times of India Blog - May 8th, 2021
- The best tower defense games on PC - PCGamesN - May 8th, 2021
- This place in Lancashire is deemed one of the least likely places to survive a zombie apocalypse - Lancashire Telegraph - May 8th, 2021
- What will the end of the pandemic mean for zombie companies? - Raconteur - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: How Zack Snyder Is Revolutionizing Zombie Movies - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- Beware the 'Zoom Zombie'? - Land Line Opinion % - Land Line Media - April 23rd, 2021
- My Breast Implants Turned Me Into A Rapidly Aging Zombie - Scary Mommy - April 23rd, 2021
- Slipknot, Rob Zombie and Mudvayne to headline Inkcarceration Music & Tattoo Festival 2021 - Louder - April 23rd, 2021
- Zack Snyders Army of the Dead VFX Team Used Carole Baskins Tiger to Create the Zombie Tiger - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Forget Everything and Run review scenic zombie adventure lacks bite - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Army of the Dead: What Excites Us About Zack Snyders Zombie Epic - ComingSoon.net - April 23rd, 2021
- CGI Zombie Tiger In Army Of The Dead Was Modeled After Carole Baskin's Own Tiger - GameSpot - April 23rd, 2021
- What a Zombie Basketball Player From 2026 Has to Do With NIL and NFTs - SportTechie - April 23rd, 2021
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan Shows His Son As A Zombie On 'The Walking Dead' - UPROXX - April 23rd, 2021
- Halo 3 goes horror with a Call Of Duty-inspired zombies mod - PC Gamer - April 23rd, 2021
- Preview: Zombie Hornets try to survive against maybe KD and the Brooklyn Nets - At The Hive - April 23rd, 2021
- An invasion of corporate zombies may still be on the horizon - Sydney Morning Herald - April 23rd, 2021
- Two Teens with Down Syndrome Made Their Dream Zombie Movie. The Documentary SAM AND MATTIE MAKE A ZOMBIE MOVIE is the Story of How They Did It - Now... - April 23rd, 2021
- History will not be kind to Tokyo's 'zombie Olympics' - Nikkei Asia - April 5th, 2021
- Researchers discover "Zombie Genes" in the brain that come to life after death - CMU The Tartan Online - April 5th, 2021
- Geoengineering the climate: The zombie idea that just won't die - Resilience - April 5th, 2021
- Hilarie Burton Worried She'd Make a 'Bad Zombie' On The Walking Dead - TooFab - April 5th, 2021
- The Guitar Zombie Apocalypse Is Real - Premier Guitar - April 5th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Warzone's Zombies Move to a New Location - ComicBook.com - April 5th, 2021
- Corey Taylors Zombie Versus Ninja movie will commence shooting this year - Louder - April 5th, 2021
- Is Zombie Army 4 multiplayer? Heres all we know about the Rebellion Developments release - Republic TV - April 5th, 2021
- What are 'zombie mines'? What do they have to do with Malcolm Turnbull? - ABC News - April 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movie According To Reddit Isn't What You'd Think - Looper - April 5th, 2021
- Zombie (The Cranberries song) - Wikipedia - March 9th, 2021
- How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse, According to the CDC - Inside Edition - March 9th, 2021
- The CDC wants you to prepare for a zombie apocalypse. (Yes, you read that right.) - USA TODAY - March 9th, 2021
- Call of Duty's Zombie Easter Eggs Were Too Hard, So Cold War Season 2 Is Simplifying Things - Kotaku - March 9th, 2021
- Resident Evil 3 Did Army of the Dead's Zombie Vegas 14 Years Ago - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- The perfect Call of Duty zombies mode is here, and it's not Outbreak - PC Gamer - March 9th, 2021
- CDC Offers Guide to Survive Zombie Apocalypse and Other Natural Disasters - Complex - March 9th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone Crossover With Zombies Teased on Twitter - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 'Zombie' cicadas could be on your doorstep this summer - Times-West Virginian - March 9th, 2021
- How to Find Flawless Aetherium Crystals in COD: Zombies Outbreak - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Resurrected The Walking Dead star Lauren Cohan tells Conan her best zombie kill nicknames - The A.V. Club - March 9th, 2021
- Warzone yellow access cards - how to survive the new shipwreck zombies event - Gamesradar - March 9th, 2021
- WTOPs Beer of the Week: 3 Floyds Zombie Dust Pale Ale - WTOP - March 9th, 2021
- Indias zombie home fund set to deliver thousands of apartments - The Real Deal - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie infection threat as country unlocks 50,000-year-old viruses - Yahoo News Australia - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie rises from his grave this March for PC via Steam - PC Invasion - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie Hit Train To Busan Is Getting A US Remake - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says the meat industrys future is unsustainable - NME.com - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse - Yahoo Entertainment - February 20th, 2021
- Batista Wanted To Play A Zombie On The Walking Dead, Rejected For Being "Too Big" - Fightful - February 20th, 2021
- Dave Bautista told he was too big to play zombie on The Walking Dead - NME - February 17th, 2021
- Dave Bautista Offered To Play A Zombie For Free On The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Is plurilateralism making the WTO an institutional zombie? - East Asia Forum - February 17th, 2021
- REVIEW: Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Vol. 1 is a Comedic Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Don't Eat Pete is a zombie survival game that's available now for Android in Early Access - Pocket Gamer - February 17th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone seems to be teasing Zombies - Gamesradar - February 17th, 2021
- James Gunn Weighs In On Whether Zombies Or Vampires Are More Dangerous - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead back on the march - Stuff.co.nz - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Turned Dave Bautista Down for a Zombie Role - Superherohype.com - February 16th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Image Teases Zombie Heist Movie - /FILM - February 16th, 2021
- The Real Life Diet of Rob Zombie, Who Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - British GQ - February 16th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says veganism is about 'fighting the establishment' - Vegan Food and Living - February 16th, 2021
- The Next Generation of Marvel Zombies Is Already in the Marvel Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 16th, 2021
- It Looks Like Zombies Are Coming To Warzone Season 2 | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 16th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Explains Why He Went Vegan "It Is Anti-Establishment" - Metal Injection - February 14th, 2021
- Zombie Baseballs and MLBs Home Run Problem - The Wall Street Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - GQ - February 14th, 2021
- This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse - We Are The Mighty - February 14th, 2021
- 3 Cookbooks and guides to teach you how to survive during the eventual zombie apocalypse - Undead Walking - February 14th, 2021
- Call Of Duty Zombies: All Zombies Crews, Ranked - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Tesla : Which is the best EV to own to survive a zombie apocalypse? - marketscreener.com - February 14th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Watch Every Season Of iZombie - Looper - February 14th, 2021
- What's The 1st Thing You'd Grab If Zombies Invaded Twin Falls? - kezj.com - February 14th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero