Roberta Isleib, a.k.a. mystery writer Lucy Burdette, once participated in Key Wests annual Zombie Bike Ride. The event is known to draw thousands of participants and spectators. She went all out with her husband by hiring a makeup artist to create their zombie faces. On the bicycle ride, while surrounded by a gang of similar-looking zombies, she had an epiphany: If one of these zombies were to suddenly keel over, it would be hard to tell who the perpetrator is.
Thus, the idea was born for how to open book number seven in her Key West Food Critic Mystery Series, Killer Takeout. According to Isleib, Key West and the Florida Keys are an endless source of inspiration for plot ideas. The area is so fruitful that she is now releasing her series 11th book, called A Scone of Contention, on Tuesday, Aug. 10.
Key West is easy for ideas, Isleib explained. First of all, read Keys Weekly newspaper its full of ideas. I try in each book to feature some different angle of Key West and the Keys.
The Key West Food Critic Mystery Series is part of a genre called cozy mysteries,
The genre is named after Agatha Christies tea cozy idea, that you dont need sex and violence on the page, said Isleib. The concentration is on the puzzle and the characters. You can read the book before going to bed.
Isleib is a former clinical psychologist who spends half the year in Connecticut and half the year in Key West. She got into writing because of her love for golf. Yes, golf.
The first things I wrote were articles about the psychology of golf. My golf midlife crisis, I call it, she said. Eventually, she found that a fictional character came out of her writing about the sport: neurotic aspiring golfer Cassie.
After years of support from writing groups and doggedly searching for a book agent, Isleibs first series was finally published, the Cassie Burdette Golf Lovers Mysteries. The first book, Six Strokes Under, was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best First Mystery.
Eventually Isleib switched subject matter but stayed in the cozy mystery genre, as she was inspired by her love for food and Key West. Her young protagonist, Hayley Snow, is a food critic working for a magazine called Key Zest, and she somehow gets sucked into solving homicides, as these things happen in cozy mysteries.
For sharp-eyed residents of Key West, Isleib often throws in real-life characters from Key West, such as police officer and minister Steve Torrence, Michael Nelson of the Key West library and Lorenzo the tarot card reader in Mallory Square, whose real name is Ron Augustine.
And for Scone of Contention, Isleib drew inspiration this time not just from the Keys but also from Scotland, where she and her husband went in 2019. Accordingly, food writer Hayley Snow became obsessed with scones, which are commonly served during tea times in Scotland.
Lucy Burdette fans can keep an eye out for her first thriller and a leap away from coziness to be released in September by English publishing house Severn, Unsafe Haven. And her 12th book in the Key West Food Critic Mystery Series, called A Dish to Die For, will be coming soon.
Cinnamon Scones from Roberta Isleib, a.k.a. mystery writer Lucy Burdette
By Roberta Isleib
If youre going to write a mystery with scone in the title that is set in Scotland, readers are going to expect a scone recipe. I had a lot of fun imagining how to work this into the book, and came up with sister characters, Violet and Bettina Booth, famous for winning a culinary prize for their cinnamon scones.
I crave the prize-winning recipe that the Booth sisters shared with food critic Hayley Snow as you may crave it by the time youre finished reading as well! This recipe is my closest approximation. I cannot vouch for how close it comes to the prize-winner, but its awfully good. There seem to be several secrets to making light scones. Freeze and grate the butter. Work the dough as little as possible. And keep it cold in between steps.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (dont skimp on quality here)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup heavy cream (plus 2 Tbsp for brushing)
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the icing:
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons freshly-brewed coffee
tsp vanilla extract
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Grate the frozen butter onto a plate. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the butter is the size of peas.
In another bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, the vanilla, the egg and the brown sugar. Mix this lightly into the flour butter mixture. On a piece of parchment paper, shape the dough into a disk, and with a floured knife cut the disk into eight triangles. Put the scone dough back into the refrigerator while the oven heats to 400. Move the parchment with the scones onto a baking sheet. Paint the scone tops with the remaining cream and sprinkle them with sugar.
Bake the scones for 20-22 minutes until they begin to brown. You could serve them as is, but why leave off the icing?
For the icing, whisk the confectioners sugar with coffee and vanilla until smooth. If you dont like the idea of coffee, you could substitute milk. But honestly, that hint of coffee was amazing! When the scones have cooled, drizzle them with icing. (You will probably have leftovers which can be used on your next batch. Or eaten with a spoon)
- Lauren Boebert talks monkeypox and "zombie Reagan" on BlazeTV - Salon - August 6th, 2022
- The Zombie of Recession Died Today - TheStranger.com - August 6th, 2022
- Nonstop Action Drives Korean Zombie Thriller Carter to Badass Heights - Paste Magazine - August 6th, 2022
- LifeAfter: Sea of Zombie launches next week, taking players on a new adventure in search of the Pureland - Pocket Gamer - August 6th, 2022
- As We Know It: Everything We Know So Far About The Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse Movie - /Film - August 6th, 2022
- Steve Vai reveals the pedals he couldn't live without, zombie apocalypse or no zombie apocalypse - MusicRadar - August 6th, 2022
- REVIEW: Rob Zombie Invades Camden with The Freaks On Parade Tour - wmmr.com - August 6th, 2022
- Mobile laser tag (and zombies) is coming to Hattiesburg - HubcitySPOKES.com - August 6th, 2022
- Pam Grier, 30 Rocks Chris Parnell and Project X Star Oliver Cooper to Lead Zombie Apocalypse Movie As We Know It (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - August 6th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Jumps 35 Years Into the Future - Post Apocalyptic Media - August 6th, 2022
- This gay-hating GOP nominee once worked for Rosie O'Donnell and starred in a zombie golden shower film - Queerty - August 6th, 2022
- Walking Dead Isle of the Dead Filming Holmdel East Rutherford NJ - 943thepoint.com - August 6th, 2022
- Crowd of teens and man 'arrested with knife' moments boy, 15, stabbed to death - My London - August 6th, 2022
- Hear 2 Tracks From Rob Zombie's 'Munsters' Soundtrack Right Now - Loudwire - July 28th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Revisits Zombie Outbreak in Atlanta 2010 - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2022
- Warzone zombies rise again in season four update - PCGamesN - July 28th, 2022
- This Horrifying Zombie Fungus Forces Males to Mate With The Dead. Now We Know How - ScienceAlert - July 28th, 2022
- When is Rob Zombies The Munsters coming to Netflix? - 1428 Elm - July 28th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Bosses Explain the Return of the "Smart Zombie" Twist in Final Season Trailer - FanFest News - July 28th, 2022
- My Turn: How to be angry at zombie politicians - The Recorder - July 28th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse Free Online - EpicStream - July 28th, 2022
- Call of Duty: Vanguard's zombie mode is free this week - For The Win - July 20th, 2022
- Rob Zombie's Munsters Movie Hits Netflix This September - GameSpot - July 20th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4 Update 1.48 Out This July 19 (Update) - MP1st - July 20th, 2022
- Zombie fungus draws in flies to mate with the dead - ZME Science - July 20th, 2022
- Syracuses Run of the Dead canceled after 10 years; zombie walk still staggering on - syracuse.com - July 20th, 2022
- Cells become zombies when the ends of their chromosomes are damaged a tactic both helpful and harmful for health - The Conversation Indonesia - July 20th, 2022
- This Scottish stadium hamburger is a zombie on a bun - SB Nation - July 20th, 2022
- Who is the voice of the alien Mothership in Zombies 3? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - July 20th, 2022
- 'ZOMBIES: The Re-Animated Series': How to Watch, Cast, More - J-14 - July 20th, 2022
- Rob Zombie's Reboot of The Munsters to Debut on Netflix This Fall - Ghost Cult Magazine - July 20th, 2022
- Build Back Better Gets the Zombie Treatment - The Dispatch - July 12th, 2022
- 'Valley Of The Dead' Ending, Explained: Does Jan Lozano Save The World From A Zombie Takeover? | DMT - DMT - July 12th, 2022
- Disney World, Disneyland Welcome a Zombie Invasion - TheStreet - July 12th, 2022
- Of RINOs, DINOs and the zombie ant apocalypse - The Hill - July 12th, 2022
- Zombie practice: The mistake youre making thats hurting your game - Golf.com - July 12th, 2022
- Killing Floor 2 is still one of the most satisfying zombie shooters, and it's free on the Epic Games Store - VG247 - July 12th, 2022
- WARGASM Take on the Elite in Zombie-Themed "Fukstar" Music Video - Bloody Disgusting - July 12th, 2022
- Uber Pool Is a Zombie - The Atlantic - July 12th, 2022
- History of Zombies - Origins, Pop Culture & Film - HISTORY - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie (Plants vs. Zombies) | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | Fandom - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4: the making of an 'impossible' Switch conversion - Eurogamer.net - July 4th, 2022
- The Movies And Shows That Kickstarted Rob Zombie's Love Of The Horror Genre - /Film - July 4th, 2022
- Meet the 'zombie star' that survived a supernova blast - Reuters.com - July 4th, 2022
- Zombies of the Slaughterhouse - JSTOR Daily - July 4th, 2022
- Zelda Williams is directing a "bonkers" zombie comedy and Diablo Cody is writing it - The A.V. Club - July 4th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream ZOMBIES Free Online - EpicStream - July 4th, 2022
- The Last Fortress: Underground Is A Life Simulator Home Management Sim Set In The Zombie Apocalypse - GameSpot - July 4th, 2022
- Review: Drunken Fist 2: Zombie Hangover - Movies Games and Tech - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombie property to be demolished in Rotterdam Junction - NEWS10 ABC - June 23rd, 2022
- How refactoring code in Safari's WebKit resurrected 'zombie' security bug - The Register - June 23rd, 2022
- East Idaho Eats: New zombie-themed food truck brings authentic Cubano, other sandwiches to Pocatello - East Idaho News - June 23rd, 2022
- Why Rob Zombie Won't Watch House Of 1,000 Corpses Anymore - /Film - June 23rd, 2022
- Will We Have an IE Zombie Movie? - CDOTrends - June 23rd, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Zombie Massacre Free Online - EpicStream - June 23rd, 2022
- Weekend Whipper: Near Ground Fall on the Famous "Zombie Roof" 5.12d Trad - Climbing Magazine - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombies return to Warzone with Season 4s Rebirth of the Dead mode - CharlieINTEL.com - June 23rd, 2022
- City near Wiltshire in 'unluckiest places' to live in a zombie apocalypse - Wiltshire Times - June 23rd, 2022
- In the Event of a Zombie Apocalypse': What's in the Fine Print You're Signing? - NBC San Diego - June 23rd, 2022
- County Durham beach named one of the UK's weirdest due to 'zombies' - Chronicle Live - June 23rd, 2022
- Review: LAND OF THE DEAD - FANGORIA - June 23rd, 2022
- Moon Knight and an Avenger Are in a Race Against an Army of Zombie Moon Knights (Exclusive) - ComicBook.com - June 23rd, 2022
- Here Are The Lyrics To 'First Kill's Theme, "The Zombie Song" - Elite Daily - June 14th, 2022
- BTS in a Zombie Apocalpyse How Fans Think These Idols Would React - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 14th, 2022
- 'Unhuman' review: A vibrant zombie feature that tries to offer more than just clichs - People's World - June 14th, 2022
- This Is the Best Zombie Movie of All Time, According to Data - 24/7 Wall St. - June 14th, 2022
- Two arrested as drugs and 'zombie' knife seized during raid - Liverpool Echo - June 14th, 2022
- A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Thriller Gets a Taste for Streaming Flesh - We Got This Covered - June 5th, 2022
- Debunking the zombie claim that 'dead people always vote Democrat' - PolitiFact - June 5th, 2022
- The zombie nuke plant that just won't die - The Manila Times - June 5th, 2022
- Why Carnival Fell Today, and What It Has to Do With Zombies - The Motley Fool - June 5th, 2022
- The Midwich Cuckoos, review: steel yourself for Creepy Keeley and the zombie kids - The Telegraph - June 5th, 2022
- Hornets set to get $173m in public cash thanks to zombie lease clause, another $102m just because - Field of Schemes - June 5th, 2022
- Zombie catfish comes back from the dead with just a splash of water in footage - The Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Unhuman Official Trailer: Zombies Bring The Breakfast Club Formula Back From The Dead On June 3 - The Illuminerdi - May 17th, 2022
- Erie County Clerk says he is addressing tax zombie properties - WGRZ.com - May 17th, 2022
- The zombie economics of inflation and unemployment - The Hill - May 17th, 2022
- Tax & Spend: The zombie companies are finally expiring - The Globe and Mail - May 17th, 2022
- Sense of dj vu with Stormont as 'zombie' Executive continues - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2022
- Best Guns for Zombies Cold War: Best Weapons 2022 - Turkish Weekly - Journal of Turkish Weekly - May 17th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero