Roberta Isleib, a.k.a. mystery writer Lucy Burdette, once participated in Key Wests annual Zombie Bike Ride. The event is known to draw thousands of participants and spectators. She went all out with her husband by hiring a makeup artist to create their zombie faces. On the bicycle ride, while surrounded by a gang of similar-looking zombies, she had an epiphany: If one of these zombies were to suddenly keel over, it would be hard to tell who the perpetrator is.
Thus, the idea was born for how to open book number seven in her Key West Food Critic Mystery Series, Killer Takeout. According to Isleib, Key West and the Florida Keys are an endless source of inspiration for plot ideas. The area is so fruitful that she is now releasing her series 11th book, called A Scone of Contention, on Tuesday, Aug. 10.
Key West is easy for ideas, Isleib explained. First of all, read Keys Weekly newspaper its full of ideas. I try in each book to feature some different angle of Key West and the Keys.
The Key West Food Critic Mystery Series is part of a genre called cozy mysteries,
The genre is named after Agatha Christies tea cozy idea, that you dont need sex and violence on the page, said Isleib. The concentration is on the puzzle and the characters. You can read the book before going to bed.
Isleib is a former clinical psychologist who spends half the year in Connecticut and half the year in Key West. She got into writing because of her love for golf. Yes, golf.
The first things I wrote were articles about the psychology of golf. My golf midlife crisis, I call it, she said. Eventually, she found that a fictional character came out of her writing about the sport: neurotic aspiring golfer Cassie.
After years of support from writing groups and doggedly searching for a book agent, Isleibs first series was finally published, the Cassie Burdette Golf Lovers Mysteries. The first book, Six Strokes Under, was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best First Mystery.
Eventually Isleib switched subject matter but stayed in the cozy mystery genre, as she was inspired by her love for food and Key West. Her young protagonist, Hayley Snow, is a food critic working for a magazine called Key Zest, and she somehow gets sucked into solving homicides, as these things happen in cozy mysteries.
For sharp-eyed residents of Key West, Isleib often throws in real-life characters from Key West, such as police officer and minister Steve Torrence, Michael Nelson of the Key West library and Lorenzo the tarot card reader in Mallory Square, whose real name is Ron Augustine.
And for Scone of Contention, Isleib drew inspiration this time not just from the Keys but also from Scotland, where she and her husband went in 2019. Accordingly, food writer Hayley Snow became obsessed with scones, which are commonly served during tea times in Scotland.
Lucy Burdette fans can keep an eye out for her first thriller and a leap away from coziness to be released in September by English publishing house Severn, Unsafe Haven. And her 12th book in the Key West Food Critic Mystery Series, called A Dish to Die For, will be coming soon.
Cinnamon Scones from Roberta Isleib, a.k.a. mystery writer Lucy Burdette
By Roberta Isleib
If youre going to write a mystery with scone in the title that is set in Scotland, readers are going to expect a scone recipe. I had a lot of fun imagining how to work this into the book, and came up with sister characters, Violet and Bettina Booth, famous for winning a culinary prize for their cinnamon scones.
I crave the prize-winning recipe that the Booth sisters shared with food critic Hayley Snow as you may crave it by the time youre finished reading as well! This recipe is my closest approximation. I cannot vouch for how close it comes to the prize-winner, but its awfully good. There seem to be several secrets to making light scones. Freeze and grate the butter. Work the dough as little as possible. And keep it cold in between steps.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (dont skimp on quality here)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup heavy cream (plus 2 Tbsp for brushing)
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the icing:
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons freshly-brewed coffee
tsp vanilla extract
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Grate the frozen butter onto a plate. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the butter is the size of peas.
In another bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, the vanilla, the egg and the brown sugar. Mix this lightly into the flour butter mixture. On a piece of parchment paper, shape the dough into a disk, and with a floured knife cut the disk into eight triangles. Put the scone dough back into the refrigerator while the oven heats to 400. Move the parchment with the scones onto a baking sheet. Paint the scone tops with the remaining cream and sprinkle them with sugar.
Bake the scones for 20-22 minutes until they begin to brown. You could serve them as is, but why leave off the icing?
For the icing, whisk the confectioners sugar with coffee and vanilla until smooth. If you dont like the idea of coffee, you could substitute milk. But honestly, that hint of coffee was amazing! When the scones have cooled, drizzle them with icing. (You will probably have leftovers which can be used on your next batch. Or eaten with a spoon)
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero