Republicans complain that the Democrats are wielding zombie votes, noting that Chopra has moved on to a new job running the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for President Joe Biden. A debate is raging inside the FTC whether a commissioners votes should count once he or she has left the agency.
For Khans fellow progressives, though, the unorthodox process offers a chance to push ahead on policies like deterring monopolies, even as procedural hurdles such as the Senates filibuster rules stifle much of the liberal agenda in Washington.
Khan has been assertive in wielding party-line votes to turn up the heat on corporate power since becoming chair in June, in what she has called a long-overdue rethinking of the 107-year-old agencys approach to rampant consolidation. But the vacancy in Chopras old seat threatens to stall those efforts for months, especially if Senate Republicans drag out confirmation of Bidens nominee for the post.
So far, Chopras retroactively counted votes have influenced only one FTC action to date: a 3-2 vote, announced Oct. 25, approving a policy statement requiring some companies obtain the commissions approval for future mergers.
The commissions two GOP members criticized the policy change as daft and cried foul at the way the commissions majority approved it.
Today, two sitting commissioners join forces with a zombie vote cast weeks ago by the sitting Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Republican Commissioners Noah Phillips and Christine Wilson wrote in a joint dissent. In a footnote, they added that Chopra had cast his vote weeks ago and earlier this week the Chair and Commissioner [Rebecca Kelly] Slaughter opted to announce it.
Critics note that other parts of the federal government are less forgiving in how they treat actions by now-departed members such as federal judges who died before their votes could be counted. Federal judges are appointed for life, not for eternity, the Supreme Court ruled in a 2019 decision quoted by several people who criticized the FTC handling of Chopras votes.
Chopra said his votes comport with the FTCs rules.
My team and I worked hard to deliberate on a host of matters facing the commission and register my votes on them in accordance with long-standing agency procedures, he said.
The FTC said agency policy allows votes made by a commissioner at any point in their tenure to count for at least a month afterward.
Not only are the votes on Commissioner Chopra's motions legal, they are a reflection of the commissions work to aggressively tackle some of the most important issues impacting todays American consumers, workers and businesses, spokesperson Lindsay Kryzak said.
The FTC, whose duties investigating corporate wrongdoing and suing alleged monopolies, has long been secretive about its proceedings. The commissioners hadnt met in public for decades until Khan broke that precedent in July, beginning what has turned into a monthly series of open meetings.
The commissioners still typically vote by email, however, outside the publics view. The agency would not provide a copy of the rules that govern those votes, instead asking POLITICO to submit an official public records request.
But three current and former FTC staffers say the rules allow commissioners vote to remain in effect for up to two months after they cast them. They and one other former FTC staffer spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss procedures the agency considers confidential.
They said it works like this: Any of the five commissioners can introduce a motion for a vote. If no one responds, the motion fails after a month. But if another commissioner seconds it, the motion can live on for another 30 days.
Once a third commissioner votes for a motion, forming a majority, the rest of the commissioners generally have 24 hours to record their vote.
The rules say nothing about the status of votes by commissioners who have since departed, three of the people confirmed.
Further adding to the mystery, sometimes the FTC intentionally delays issuing decisions to give commissioners time to write statements or dissents. That happened on Oct. 27 when the FTC announced new data security rules for lenders: Two people confirmed that the 3-2 vote took place before Chopras departure so this action was not a zombie.
Depending on how Khan chooses to use Chopras votes, the agency may have a legal fight on its hands, experts in the FTCs procedures said.
The one zombie vote announced so far the policy statement on mergers made public in the last week of October would be difficult to challenge in court, said William Kovacic, a Republican who chaired the agency under President George W. Bush. Thats because it simply sets out the agencys future enforcement intentions, he said.
But the legality of Chopras votes could be challenged if the agency uses them to initiate a court case or rulemaking, he said.
Opponents could also challenge Chopras votes on the grounds that he has found other employment, FTC experts said.
The Federal Trade Commission Act of 1914 forbids commissioners from engaging in any other business, vocation, or employment. That caveat was among the reasons the White House rejected an idea advocated by some progressives to name Chopra as acting CFPB head while he was still an FTC commissioner much like former President Donald Trump did with Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney.
Beyond the legality of the votes, Kovacic said, their questionable nature could undermine the durability of Khans changes.
You dont want to take measures that an immediate successor can pitch in the bin right away, Kovacic said. I dont know what you gain if [FTC nominee Alvaro] Bedoya is coming. Why push that document out the door? Why is the end of October better than the end of December or January?
Biden nominated Bedoya in September to replace Chopra, but the Senate Commerce Committee has yet to hold a confirmation hearing for him. Commerce Chair Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) said last week she hopes to schedule his hearing for the week of Nov. 15. That could see Bedoya in place by the end of the year if Republicans cooperate.
No senators so far have indicated problems with Bedoya, a privacy expert who worked for the Senate Judiciary Committee before joining Georgetown Law School. Some business groups have urged GOP senators to slow-walk his nomination, however, to keep the FTC deadlocked at 2-2 for as long as possible given Khans pledge to pursue an aggressive agenda, an individual familiar with those discussions said.
- How TV and movie zombies have evolved from the mindless undead to superhuman killing machines - Yahoo News - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie properties a growing problem in Capital Region The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - November 29th, 2021
- Yeon Sang-ho Talks Season 2 of 'Hellbound' and Third Zombie Movie - - The Nerd Stash - November 29th, 2021
- Hellbound Creator Yeon Sang-ho Details Season 2 Plans, Teases Third Zombie Movie in World of Train to Busan - Variety - November 29th, 2021
- Recap: Weddings, funerals, and sexy time: Day of the Dead Ep. 7 gets at what it means to be a human (and not a zombie) - SYFY WIRE - November 29th, 2021
- BSU professor presents on zombies and colonialism as part of Native American Heritage Month events - Bemidji Pioneer - November 29th, 2021
- America's Favorite Zombie Officer Returns on 4K with Blue Underground's Maniac Cop II and III - Critical Blast - November 29th, 2021
- Warnings of orphan and zombie wells spark debate on bonding by oil, gas companies - The Denver Post - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie river? London's Thames, once biologically dead, has been coming back to life - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Confirms The Munsters Officially Shooting, Offers Tease of Logo - ComicBook.com - November 13th, 2021
- LUCE: The zombie issues of legacy preference - Yale Daily News - November 13th, 2021
- RUPCO seeks to rehabilitate and sell 10 zombie properties in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - November 13th, 2021
- Stream Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Code Orange and more from Welcome To Rockville this weekend Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 13th, 2021
- Joivan Wade Talks About Doom Patrol's Cyborg, Being A Zombie, And His Doctor Who Inspiration - Exclusive Interview - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero