After President Vladimir Putin announced this week that Russia was conscripting some 300,000 reservists and military veterans to reinforce its war effort in Ukraine, international flights out of Russian cities quickly sold out. This latest wave of Russias exodus included Anton Shalaev, a 38-year-old senior manager at an IT company, and 15 colleagues.
On less than a days notice, these men of military age all left their relatively comfortable lives in downtown Moscow to fly to Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. Because of Putins war, Shalaev tossed a book, an iPad, and a laptop in a backpack and got out of Dodge.
Shalaev and his co-workers are true tech geeks, producers of high-value computer games. They represent their countrys brightest and best, members of a tech elite that was the economic foundation of Russias new middle class. In a last selfie from Moscow, Shalaev brandished a coffee mug that bore the slogan Not today, Satan.
This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.
Anna Nemtsova: Why didnt you want to be drafted to fight in Ukraine?
Anton Shalaev: On the day Putin declared the war, I knew I would never fight on behalf of this new Nazi Reich. They are my personal enemies: mercenaries who steal my country from me, occupy foreign territories, and kill innocent people. Putins army commanders have had plenty of time to turn down their contracts; instead, they are recruiting more cannon fodder now.
So I chose to help Ukrainians suffering from this horrorpay for shelters in Kyiv with cryptocurrency and write antiwar posts on social media. To encourage Russians at home, I said: Guys, look, I am writing this from Moscow.
Nemtsova: What was your escape like?
Shalaev: Unlike state-owned companies such as Yandex or the Mail.ru Group, which are making their employees stay, we were independent of government funding, so we made an immediate decision to relocate.
The atmosphere at passport control in the airport was quiet but tense; men waiting for the flight around me were exchanging alerted glances. I had bought my ticket right before the announcementwe were already hearing rumors of the mobilizationso it cost me only about $300. But my colleagues got their tickets the next day, and they cost more than $1,000.
The departure was super stressful. The border guards took each of my friends aside into a small room, interrogated them, asked if they had ever served in the military, and if not, why not. And you know that type of sly border official making their little jokes: Aha, you are leaving on the day of conscription. Of course, they checked whether our names were in the database for the mobilization.
Nemtsova: Did you do military service, in fact, when you turned 18?
Shalaev: No, I entered the Moscow State Institute of International Relations, which had a military department, so that released me from the service obligation. I studied political science, and dreamed of becoming a Russian diplomatForeign Minister Sergei Lavrov was a graduate there. For a long time, I considered myself a Russian patriot, ready to serve.
When I enrolled in college, in 2001, there was some ideological diversity: We had a neo-Stalinist who taught us about how Josef ruled with an iron fist, but the next class would be with a professor telling us about liberal values. Today, the school recruits students for the secret services. And lately, I heard that the dean has urged students to call for Ukraines president, Volodymyr Zelensky, to surrender.
Anne Applebaum: The Kremlin must be in crisis
Nemtsova: What do you think of the Kremlins decision making?
Shalaev: A few old men and an army of zombies are leading us to hell. I say that because people around me in Russia behaved as if they had been bitten by a zombie, dragging my entire country into a dreadful war. All I saw was Russian loser husbands beating their wives, while the entire rotting house of the state system has turned my people into an army of the dead.
They are my enemies.
Nemtsova: What do you know of the situation in Ukraine?
Shalaev: I constantly follow the war news in Ukraineand I seek out the best, most objective analysts. My main sources on the atrocities are Ukrainian refugees from cities bombed by Russian forces.
I realize that I would rather go to prison than go to fight against the Ukrainian army. I openly embrace my antiwar position. I urge my social-media followers to donate to Ukrainians. This entire war is a crime against humanity.
Nemtsova: What do you think of the Russian state media?
Shalaev: Russian propaganda is a weapon, and the bastards working there are war criminals. The greatest guilt in this entire tragedy belongs to a small bunch of old men at the top: KGB officers.
Nemtsova: Do you yourself feel guilt?
Shalaev: I blame myself for our careless life, for our hedonism. We were completely relaxed, a bunch of computer geeks enjoying a happy and comfortable decade of Moscow life, creating and playing our games. We thought the entire country was like us; we did not know our country.
On February 24, when the invasion of Ukraine began, it became clear to me that the old man had nothing to lose. He is a psychopath and does not care what happens to us all, to our economy, to our future.
My only hope is that he has some instinct for self-protection that will stop him from nuking us all.
- The year of the zombie: How HBO's mega-budgeted The Last of Us took over the province from Waterton to Grande Prairie - Calgary Herald - January 9th, 2023
- Year Ender 2022: From Zombie Virus Discovery to Elon Musk Twitter Takeover and Creation of Artificial Sun, - LatestLY - December 24th, 2022
- Zombie Reddy Famed Director Prasanth Varmas Upcoming Film Hanu-Man To Have A Crucial Underwater Sequence? Heres What We Know - Koimoi - December 24th, 2022
- Scientists Revive 'Zombie' Virus After 50000 Years Trapped in Siberian Permafrost - Common Dreams - November 27th, 2022
- Stop with the Madbomb, youre doing Civil War: Captain America 3 Was Initially Conceived to Be a Terrifying Zombie Thriller Testing Chris Evans Limits... - November 27th, 2022
- THE MUNSTERS: Rob Zombie Returns To Spook Audiences This Halloween - Film Inquiry - October 11th, 2022
- The Loneliest Boy in the World Review: Brainless Zombie Comedy Features Too Many Elbows to the Ribs - TheWrap - October 11th, 2022
- There were few brave enough to join 6th annual Zombie Run - Wadena Pioneer Journal - October 11th, 2022
- New study: Massachusetts would have 4.4 million zombies in apocalypse - Wicked Local - October 11th, 2022
- Zombie Captain America Takes A Bite Out of Crime with shopDisney - Bleeding Cool News - October 11th, 2022
- Silver Spring Zombie Walk Returns Oct. 29 - Source of the Spring - October 11th, 2022
- Kanye West hits back at Gigi Hadid, calls her a 'privileged Karen' and 'zombie' - Page Six - October 11th, 2022
- Did You Spot the Freddy Krueger Zombie On "The Walking Dead" This Past Sunday? [Image] - Bloody Disgusting - October 11th, 2022
- Members of JUDAS PRIEST, GUNS N' ROSES, WHITE ZOMBIE, THE CULT And More Donate Iconic Items to KITTEN ... - Metal Injection - October 11th, 2022
- This weekend in Anchorage: Zombie Half Marathon runs scared and Make It Alaskan Festival returns - Anchorage Daily News - October 11th, 2022
- Terrifying Rabid Zombie Coyote Attempts To Kick In Glass Window Of Someone's Home - Whiskey Riff - October 11th, 2022
- How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads - POLITICO - September 24th, 2022
- Get ready for the zombie apocalypse | UNC-Chapel Hill - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - September 24th, 2022
- Geneva High School theater to show '10 Ways to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse!' - Daily Herald - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie Wasp Pictured After Parasitic Fungi Took Over Its Body - Newsweek - September 24th, 2022
- An Malnourished Zombie Horror Tears Strips off the Streaming Ranks - We Got This Covered - September 24th, 2022
- You Can Get A Whole Daycare Of Zombie Babies Just In Time For Halloween - Totally The Bomb - September 24th, 2022
- Halloween invasion of Newquay by zombies will thrill and scare you - Cornwall Live - September 24th, 2022
- Chucky To Become A Zombie? - Giant Freakin Robot - September 24th, 2022
- TGS 2022: Hands-On with KEMCO's Upcoming Horror RPG 'Zombie of the Dot' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - September 24th, 2022
- 'The Munsters': Rob Zombie on Giving Fans the Prequel They've Been Waiting For - Blue Mountain Eagle - September 24th, 2022
- Covers Uncovered - Nick Percival's Zombie Dredd Takes The Throne For Megazine 448 | 2000 AD - 2000 AD - September 24th, 2022
- The Walking Dead's New Smart Zombies Are Rooted in the Show's First Episodes - ComicBook.com - September 24th, 2022
- Robots, NatCons, and the Zombie Apocalypse - The Bulwark - September 24th, 2022
- Zombie horror-comedy The Loneliest Boy in the World gets a trailer and poster - Flickering Myth - September 24th, 2022
- The story of how Zombie Nation became a Welsh techno anthem - Nation.Cymru - September 24th, 2022
- Visiting This Secluded Zombie Town In Texas Is One You Will Enjoy - klaq.com - September 24th, 2022
- Most bizarre September 24 Doomsday conspiracy theories from aliens & zombies to WWIII after eerie solar... - The US Sun - September 24th, 2022
- Do you have 'zombie trees' in your yard? Here's how to spot them - Fox Weather - September 16th, 2022
- A Zombie Idea: Saving Agricultural Water Through Technology - The Paper. - September 16th, 2022
- The Beatles' 'Helter Skelter': Why Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson Covered the Song Together - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 16th, 2022
- Drop Dead: The Cabin CoD: Zombies Meets Stranger Things - UploadVR - September 16th, 2022
- Sitges Fanpitch Sets The Hour of the Sorcerer, Zombie Meteor, Bloody Mary (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - September 16th, 2022
- Collected Is This A Zombie? Blu-ray Released Monday - Anime News Network - September 16th, 2022
- Dreamy popsicle cocktails are having a moment in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - September 16th, 2022
- The Office's Dunder Mifflin is Recreated in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake - Esquire - September 16th, 2022
- Pedro Snchez only lacks the zombies, but what would they be like? - Gearrice - September 16th, 2022
- The Asbury Park Zombie Walk 2022 is here! - 94.5 PST - September 8th, 2022
- Glaciers and "zombie ice": The planet is melting at both ends, research finds - Salon - September 8th, 2022
- Zombies are coming - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - September 8th, 2022
- Commentary: September is the time to prepare for the 'zombie apocalypse' - Standard-Examiner - September 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Games to Survive in this September 2022 - ClutchPoints - September 8th, 2022
- No zombie zone: Forest Service orders removal of reported film set in Green Canyon that went too far - The Herald Journal - September 8th, 2022
- Everyone loves a good zombie, apparently | What the Heckle? - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2022
- 'Sins of Our Mother': Lori Vallow Claimed Her Children Had Turned Into 'Zombies' Before Their Disappearance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 8th, 2022
- Zoinks! The 10 Best 'Scooby-Doo' Films, From 'Monsters Unleashed' to 'Zombie Island' - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- 13 Great Funny Movies About Vampires, Zombies, And Other Classic Monsters - CinemaBlend - September 8th, 2022
- The Munsters: This Rock Legend Is Making An Unexpected Cameo in Rob Zombies Prequel - Dread Central - September 8th, 2022
- Light House Studio's Youth Film Festival covers everything from A to zombies - The Daily Progress - September 8th, 2022
- The Greatest Zombie Movie Of All Time Is Streaming For Free - Giant Freakin Robot - August 22nd, 2022
- TV, Interrupted: Post-Zombie Apocalypse Series In The Flesh Was Buried Too Soon - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Tales of the Walking Dead' Season One, Episode Two Recap - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- 'Zombie fungus' bursts out of a dead fly in contest-winning photo - Livescience.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Sally Phillips: How would I survive a zombie attack? Get another puppy - The Guardian - August 22nd, 2022
- Apocalypse arrives for the 'zombie' companies haunting UK growth - The Telegraph - August 22nd, 2022
- 60 Songs That Explain the 90s: The Cranberries, Zombie - The Ringer - August 22nd, 2022
- Did Congress just warn of a zombie attack? No, that video is fake, and satirical - PolitiFact - August 22nd, 2022
- 10 years ago, one incredible zombie movie redefined an entire style of film - Inverse - August 22nd, 2022
- ZOMBIE PROPERTY COUNT INCHES UP AGAIN IN THIRD QUARTER OF 2022 ACROSS U.S. AMID CONTINUED RISE IN FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY - PR Newswire - August 22nd, 2022
- I wore a metaverse suit into a terrifying Zombie VR world Im still haunted by it... - The US Sun - August 22nd, 2022
- Dungeon Munchies is an RPG platformer where you're a zombie, and worse, an unpaid intern - PC Gamer - August 22nd, 2022
- Insiders tell of 'zombie government' as Johnson lives it up in Greece on holiday - The National - August 22nd, 2022
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
- The Future of 'The Walking Dead' Universe Will Be Characterized By a New Zombie Variant - Pajiba Entertainment News - August 14th, 2022
- Inside the abandoned 'zombie like' cottage left untouched since a heartbreaking tragedy - The Mirror - August 14th, 2022
- Time traveller from 2906 claims world will face a plague of zombie pigs later this year - Daily Star - August 14th, 2022
- Tearful Martin Lewis slams 'zombie' Government for crisis as bad as pandemic - Wales Online - August 14th, 2022
- Lauren Boebert talks monkeypox and "zombie Reagan" on BlazeTV - Salon - August 6th, 2022
- The Zombie of Recession Died Today - TheStranger.com - August 6th, 2022
- Nonstop Action Drives Korean Zombie Thriller Carter to Badass Heights - Paste Magazine - August 6th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero