Ernest Shackleton's famous ship, the Endurance, which he had to abandon in 1915 on his ill-fated Antarctic expedition, remained in very good condition on the ocean floor. Scientists claimed in 2013 that shipwrecks in the Antarctic remained well preserved because of the absence of "ship worms". Adrian Glover from London's Natural History Museum said that the currents that circle the Antarctic likely prevent the organisms from getting anywhere near the continent. This results in the remains of old wooden shipwrecks being remarkably well preserved despite languishing at the bottom of the sea.
Dr Glover said: "I think it's a reasonable hypothesis to suggest Endurance is still in good condition, certainly based on our experiments and what we know about low microbial rates of degradation in the cold Antarctic deep sea.
"Marine archaeologists and historians have long dreamt of finding the wreck and recovering artefacts from Shackleton's expedition.
"But I'm interested in how deep-sea ecosystems function and how they recycle large organic inputs.
"All that oak and pinewood down there would be an amazing experiment in itself, and it would be fascinating to see it."
While studying the Antarctic, Dr Glover tested whether "zombie" worms (Osedax), that consume the skeletons of dead cetaceans, and their wood-eating cousins, could reach these ships.
After 14 months under water, the bones on the platforms were covered in zombie worms, including two previously undescribed species, but the wood was untouched.
The results supported the contention that the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, which sweeps around the White Continent, acts as a barrier to Xylophaga, preventing their larvae from entering the region.
READ MORE:Archaeology: 'Shipwreck paradise' boasting hundreds of vessels
Dr Glover explained the findings: "Previous research had suggested that Osedax had diverged from groups that inhabited sulphidic hydrothermal vents and cold hydrocarbon seeps.
"But as we added in more taxa and more genetic evidence, it implied they are more closely related to these mud-dwelling 'beard' worms.
"And that makes sense that the ancestor should be a sediment-dweller given what we think about the distribution of whale bones on the sea floor."
DON'T MISSArchaeology: 'Thousands of artefacts' found on famous shipwreck[INSIGHT]Archaeology: 'Graveyard of shipwrecks' caught eyes of treasure hunters[ANALYSIS]Archaeology: Shipwreck discovery 'like nothing seen before'[INSIGHT]
To find out details of coronavirus in your area, please fill in your postcode below.
As for the famous Endurance wreck, David Mearns, from the UK-based company Blue Water Recoveries, said the new research reinforced his view that the vessel was in a good state.
He said: "She was badly holed in the stern by large chunks of ice that broke through the ship's sides below the water line and caused her to flood.
"As the damage was too bad to be repairable, Sir Ernest was left with no other option than to abandon ship and set up camps on the ice.
"While Endurance will be a wreck, I expect to find her hull largely intact.
"She would have suffered additional impact damage when hitting the seabed, but I don't expect this to be too bad."
See the original post here:
Archaeology bombshell: Researchers' shocking findings on Antarctic 'zombie' worms - Daily Express
- Aisle of the living dead: Zombie brands haunt CPG - The 21st Century Supply Chain - Perspectives on Innovative - October 28th, 2020
- Thai woman takes social media by storm after dressing up as zombie to sell clothes of dead - The Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- Jason Stevenson: The zombie virus is already here - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Colorado arborists are getting reports of 'zombie trees' around the state - 9News.com KUSA - October 28th, 2020
- Monstrum Host Dr. Emily Zarka Talks Zombies, Halloween, and the Ugly Truth Behind Monsters - ComicBook.com - October 28th, 2020
- Zombie-trees invading Colorado as October draws to close - OutThere Colorado - October 28th, 2020
- Thai zombie seller cashes in on threads of the dead - Metro US - October 28th, 2020
- Which Type Of Zombie Are You, Based On Your Zodiac? | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - October 25th, 2020
- Rob Zombie to share taster of long-awaited new album next week - NME - October 25th, 2020
- Sing Along To The Cranberries Zombie With New Lyric Video - uDiscover Music - October 25th, 2020
- Stubbs the Zombie Makes YOU the Undead Brain-Eater | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 25th, 2020
- Annual 'Thirller' zombie dance in the street gives sense of normalcy in 2020 - Statesman Journal - October 25th, 2020
- Halloween Is Coming To Call Of Duty: Warzone With Zombies Royale, Free Rewards And Much More - Forbes - October 25th, 2020
- Rob Zombie's Halloween: 37 Things You Didn't Know About The Slasher Remake - GameSpot - October 25th, 2020
- Zelter Is A New Zombie Action Adventure Available On Steam Early Access - Happy Gamer - October 25th, 2020
- MicroProse goes Tactical RPG in the zombie apocalypse with Urban Strife - Gamasutra - October 23rd, 2020
- From Zombie to Jolene, Miley Cyrus is the queen of cover songs - Dazed - October 23rd, 2020
- Zombies coming home this weekend in... - Issaquah Reporter - October 23rd, 2020
- Zombie/Blinkink, adam&eveDDB, TEMPTATIONS Team On Horror Movie For Cats - SHOOT Online - October 23rd, 2020
- Zombie knife found by police and volunteers searching parts of Swindon | ITV News - ITV News - October 23rd, 2020
- Make the wasteland terrifying with these Halloween Fallout 4 mods - PC Invasion - October 23rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead Has Finally Made The Zombies An Afterthought - Screen Rant - October 22nd, 2020
- Did You Know The Militray Has A Plan In Case of A Zombie Apocalypse? - KSOO News - October 22nd, 2020
- This New Cereal Is Made With Adaptogens to Help You Relax, and We'll Take 5 Bowls! - POPSUGAR - October 22nd, 2020
- Kevin O'Leary says give stimulus to the people who need it, not 'zombie companies' - CNBC - October 22nd, 2020
- This Zombie-Themed Wedding Shoot Proves True Love Never Dies - POPSUGAR - October 22nd, 2020
- ShackStream: Talking Zelter & lighthearted zombies with the devs - Shacknews - October 22nd, 2020
- 'It's like The Walking Dead' - Readers reaction as man poos in 'zombie-town' Hanley in the middle of the day - Stoke-on-Trent Live - October 22nd, 2020
- 'Walking Dead' Boss Addresses the State of the Zombie Apocalypse - Hollywood Reporter - October 20th, 2020
- Urban Strife sounds like Jagged Alliance 2, but it's infested with zombies - PC Gamer - October 20th, 2020
- 5 Zombie Movie Scenes That Prove Slow Zombies Are Scarier (& 5 That Prove Fast Zombies Are) - Screen Rant - October 20th, 2020
- The Marvel Zombies Just Turned One Of The X-Men Into A Multiversal Weapon - Screen Rant - October 20th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Onslaught Update Aims to Rebalance Weapons, Zombies & Combat - Road to VR - October 20th, 2020
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors! Is the Charming, Spooky, Retro Shooter You Need to Play - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 20th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4 Is Headed To The Damnation Valley - Bleeding Cool News - October 20th, 2020
- REMINDER: The virtual Zombie Fest will be Saturday, Oct. 24! - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies: The Origin of The Virus is Finally Revealed - Screen Rant - October 20th, 2020
- Kirk Hammett: Zombie movies are old and tired - pdclarion.com - October 20th, 2020
- ANZ chairman John Key warns against creating 'zombie companies' and 'an asset bubble that's going to burst on us' - Interest.co.nz - October 20th, 2020
- UFC Fight Night results, highlights: Brian Ortega shines in return to action with decision over Korean Zombie - CBSSports.com - October 18th, 2020
- Watch Miley Cyrus raucous cover of The Cranberries classic Zombie - NME - October 18th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies Shows What REALLY Happened to Franklin Richards - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 18th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 10 Things About The Zombies That Don't Make Sense - Screen Rant - October 18th, 2020
- Kirk Hammett: Zombie movies are old and tired - The Daily Courier - October 18th, 2020
- Does Spider-Man Have What It Takes To Kill Zombie Mary Jane? - Screen Rant - October 18th, 2020
- UFC Fight Night: Ortega vs The Korean Zombie- Katlyn Chookagian vs Jessica Andrade: Prediction and Analysis - EssentiallySports - October 18th, 2020
- UFC Fight Night: Ortega vs The Korean Zombie Thomas Almeida vs Jonathan Martinez: Prediction and A ... - EssentiallySports - October 18th, 2020
- They're Back From The Grave and Ready to Party! Zombies Take the Time Warp Drive-In - Memphis Flyer - October 17th, 2020
- PUBG Mobile will be infested with zombies again in the new Halloween event - re:Jerusalem - October 17th, 2020
- Creepies, Zombies, and Monsters: Candidates to Avoid Recruiting - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Creepy and kooky, all together spooky at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom - Vallejo Times-Herald - October 17th, 2020
- This Horrible Zombie Is What Happens When You Give Your King Every Possible Disease In Crusader Kings 3 - TheGamer - October 17th, 2020
- All 23 Zombie Movies And TV Shows Available On Netflix This Halloween - We Got This Covered - October 17th, 2020
- Two arrested in Melksham after zombie knife discovered in car - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - October 17th, 2020
- Why House Of 1000 Corpses Is The Best Movie In Rob Zombie's Firefly Trilogy - Screen Rant - October 17th, 2020
- No Drama For Korean Zombie - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 15th, 2020
- Saving the smartphone zombies from themselves - ITS International - October 15th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Slow Zombies Are Scarier Than Fast Zombies (& Vice Versa) - Screen Rant - October 15th, 2020
- From fleeing zombies to a heart-warming drama; how the Langley Seniors Centre got into the movie business - Aldergrove Star - October 15th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: World Beyond goes up in a Blaze of Glory - SYFY WIRE - October 15th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead: Morgans Zombie Immunity Explained - Screen Rant - October 15th, 2020
- Trickbot and its one million zombie computers: US election under threat? - FRANCE 24 English - October 15th, 2020
- Mom Shamed For Zombie Skittles Goes Viral What Are Zombie Skittles? - Fatherly - October 15th, 2020
- Hope and the zombie trope in the time of Corona - Varsity Online - October 15th, 2020
- There Was Almost A Ninth Halloween Movie Before Rob Zombies Remake - We Got This Covered - October 15th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies: The End of the World Is Blade the Vampire's Happy Place - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 10th, 2020
- Rubn Blades, of "Fear the Walking Dead," talks zombies, reinvention and Latino 'respect' - NBC News - October 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: World Beyond Clip Introduces A New Zombie Type! [EXCLUSIVE] - Screen Rant - October 10th, 2020
- How COVID-19 Shaped a New Zombie Process for Actors on 'The Walking Dead' - Backstage - October 10th, 2020
- 5 reasons zombies couldn't defeat the U.S. military - We Are The Mighty - October 10th, 2020
- Zombie themed paintball course taking over Commando Paintball Sports this Halloween - WeAreGreenBay.com - October 10th, 2020
- Zombies & 9 More Horror Movie Threats Weve Seen Too Many Times - Screen Rant - October 10th, 2020
- Ray's The Dead Brings Ghoulish Zombies, Black Humor, and the Horrors of the 80's to PlayStation 4, PC on October 22 - Gamasutra - October 10th, 2020
- The Marvel Zombies Phalanx 'Vaccine' May Be Worse Than the Disease - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 10th, 2020
- Ray's The Dead Is A Pikmin-Inspired Zombie Adventure, And It's Coming To Switch - Nintendo Life - October 10th, 2020
- An autopsy of zombie firms reveals growing and recovering companies - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - October 10th, 2020
- Attack of the zombie companies - Small Caps - October 10th, 2020
- How To Kill Zombie Processes on Linux - Linux Journal - October 10th, 2020
- Everything We Know About Warzone's Zombie Royale | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 10th, 2020
- Chosen One of the Day: Michael Myers, tbh - SYFY WIRE - October 10th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero