Heard of the Zoom Zombies? According to a survey by Root Insurance, 54% of participants report trouble concentrating after videoconferencing using apps like Zoom. Presumably, a resulting zombie-like state affects their driving. Zoom and other videoconferencing apps have become popular since so many people now work from home.
When work life became synonymous with home life, COVID-19 created new distractions and challenges for American drivers getting behind the wheel of a car, Root said in a news release. The Zoom Zombies survey was covered on TV, in newspapers, and online.
Root discovered the Zoom Zombies by asking 1,819 participants in an online survey a non-scientific way to investigate such a phenomenon if in fact it really exists. For example, how many those surveyed were just being ironic using a check box to roll their eyes at the tedium of endless Zoom meetings?
Experts who enjoy being quoted in news stories even sketchy ones like most of the Zoom Zombie coverage claim that packed Zoom screens are a sensory overload that could indeed lead to distracted driving afterward.
More sensory overload than a kindergarten classroom or a busy dispatchers monitors? There are many too many distracted drivers out there, we all know.
No matter. Its all good publicity for an insurance company with an interesting twist on who it will or will not cover. Root asks prospective customers to take a road test that involves a specific app on your phone that goes with you as you drive for a few weeks. The data goes back to Root, which then may or may not offer you an insurance quote based on how you drove. Root aggregates the data into reports it releases to the media. Those reports, while curious if not downright goofy, can at least be entertaining.
Besides speed and hard braking, the Root app catalogs what Root calls Distracted Driving Events, moments when according to Roots 2021 Distracted Driving Report unusual phone activity is detected from a drivers smartphone sensors while the car is in motion. If you used your phone while driving, Root knows it. Apparently, most everyone does it. Its a matter of how often.
In the report, Root says the average driver checks their phone 18 times every 100 miles. That works out to a phone check every 5.5 miles or so. The report says Montana drivers are the most focused lease distracted of the states where Root does business. By contrast, South Carolina drivers are the most distracted, checking their phones almost 55% more often than Montana drivers. Oregon and Utah follow Montana with the least distracted drivers. South Carolina is preceded on the most-distracted list by Maryland and Illinois, where drivers apparently check their phones a lot.
By metropolitan area, the most distracted drivers are in Baltimore, Chicago, and Philadelphia. The least distracted are in Eugene Ore.; Reno, Nevada; and Ogden-Layton Utah.
Sorting by age, the report says drivers 75 or older are the least distracted drivers, less than half as distracted than the most distracted group, drivers 25 and younger. Married drivers are less distracted than singles.
But before you begin taking this survey seriously, consider that Root sorts its results by a drivers first name. Turns out youre less distracted if youre named Debra or Tammy. The least distracted drivers are named Donna.
Now things get goofy. Root also breaks down the data by the make of a participants car. The most distracted drivers drive a BMW, Mercedes or Infiniti. The least distracted drive a Smart Car, Isuzu, or the least distracted of all Plymouth.
Plymouth? Really? They stopped making Plymouths in 2001, 20 years ago. LL
See original here:
Beware the 'Zoom Zombie'? - Land Line Opinion % - Land Line Media
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
- Rob Zombie's The Munsters: 9 Questions We Have About The Upcoming Movie - CinemaBlend - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Debt: One of the ways you're tricked into paying a bill you shouldn't - WFMYNews2.com - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Brings Competitive Zombies Back to the Stage - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- The best Call of Duty Zombies maps of all time - Gamepur - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol Release Time - DualShockers - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Squad - Index page - June 14th, 2021
- The Zombie Hunters - June 14th, 2021
- Top Call of Duty Zombie Games of All Time - The Game Haus - June 14th, 2021
- This week in space: Zombie stars and the corporatization of the galaxy - Chron - June 14th, 2021
- Framestore's VFX is the 'Zombie Cat's Meow' in 'Army of the Dead' - Animation World Network - June 14th, 2021
- Zack Snyder talks Army of the Dead's robot zombies and aliens - Gamesradar - June 14th, 2021
- STREAMING: ZOMBIES, MURDER AND DEVILS - DAWN.com - June 14th, 2021
- Fear the Walking Dead season 7 release date: Latest news about the zombie spin-off - Radio Times - June 14th, 2021
- The kids are back in town - Telegraph India - June 14th, 2021
- Survivors vs zombie soldiers in first pics from The Walking Dead season 11 - Winter is Coming - June 14th, 2021
- The Miz Slams Online Haters Of Out Of The Box Zombies Match - Ringside News - June 14th, 2021
- Why Did the CDC Develop a Plan for a Zombie Apocalypse ... - June 1st, 2021
- The Best Locations in Dallas To Hide In A Zombie Apocalypse - Dallas Observer - June 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero