Erick Arc Elliott (aka Erick the Architect) has been making music on his own since before forming Flatbush Zombies with Meechy Darko and Zombie Juice, and he's put out beat tapes in the time since the Zombies' career took off, but he's just now releasing his first "proper" high-profile solo release, the Future Proof EP, this Friday. It includes recent single "Let It Go," plus four other songs, with an all-UK cast of guests, including Loyle Carner, FARR, Col3trane, Pip Millett, and Sophie Faith, the latter of whom also lent her voice to "When I'm Gone," a major highlight of Flatbush Zombies' 2020 EP Now, More Than Ever.
Future Proof, which will be followed by a full-length album of the same name, serves as a grand introduction to Erick's solo career. Taking influence from turn-of-the-millennium classics like OutKast's Stankonia, D'Angelo's Voodoo, Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun, and more, it's a rich-sounding, soulful EP, and as the EP title implies, these songs directly respond to the chaotic state of the world that they were written during. They're powerful songs that stand tall next to Flatbush Zombies' catalog, and this brief release very much leaves you wanting more.
Two songs and a non-album freestyle are out now, and the whole EP drops Friday. Read on for my chat with Erick about the EP and listen to those songs...
We're almost a year into the pandemic, concerts still don't exist, etc - how are you holding up at this point, and what kind of effect did Covid have on the making of the EP?
The pandemic gave me a moment to focus more on how to enrich my life physically and emotionallyit's easy to put things to the side when you are constantly traveling/touring. The EP was made during different times of 2020, but I think the events that transpired throughout the year directly affected what I chose to wrote about. Lots of self reflection and a whole lot of time to think and reminisce. I spent a lot of time speaking to old friends and reconnecting with people I havent spoken to in a while.
You've done solo stuff before, but your most recent solo releases were instrumentals. What inspired you to branch out from Flatbush Zombies and do your own rap record?
Although much of my past work highlighted my production, Ive been making music as a solo artist before I started to release music as Flatbush Zombies. I felt like the time I spent home during the pandemic allowed me to work on this music a lot more.
Tell us about the name Future Proof. Judging by the lyrics, it seems like it's a response to the chaotic state of the world?
In the song, Selfish on Future Proof, I rapped, When the music from the soul, boy you Future Proof. It was then I came up with the title of the project! Originally I was going to name the song "Future Proof," but I then realized it was the over arching theme of the music I was writing about. To be your most authentic self requires a lot of transparent honesty and patience. In order to be prepared for the things that will transpire in our future, a lot needs to be shared for us to learn as a people. We are all going through something, all the time. I just wanted to tell a bit of my story.
What do you most hope that people take away from these songs?
I would love for people to walk away feeling they learned something about themself through my music.
All of the guests on this EP are UK-based. Can you talk about how that came about?
Many of my favorite artists are UK based/born, Amy Winehouse, Brian Eno, The Beatles, Gorillaz, Elton John, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, etc. I was introduced to many of these artists at a young age, which was very impressionable on the kind of music I decided to make. At the time though, I didnt distinguish them as UK artists, but as artists that were making music I really connected with. Ive spent a lot of time in Europe on tour, and I would always reach out to artists while I was traveling from city to city, sometimes even meeting up with artists to make music on my days off.
I met Linden [Jay] in London while traveling to Paris for a show. I was already a fan of FARR and had reached out to home months before we met in person. I took the train from Paris to London to hang with him at his house and vibe out. We ended up making a tune at his house/studio and was introduced to his partner Romo via FaceTime. All of the features came together very naturally! Ive known Col3trane for some years as well. We met in Newark, NJ at a Lana Del Rey show about four years ago. I met Sophie Faith in LA a bit before the pandemic began, where I recorded her hook for our Flatbush Zombies song, "When Im Gone." Ive been a fan of Loyle Carner via his work with Jorja Smith (another friend of mine). Him and I were wanting to make a record together and Let It Go became that song. Lastly, Ive never met Pip Millett in person but I mustve played her song Make Me Cry millions of times. I reached out to her to get onto my song, Selfish and she vibes with the record. This is how the project was made!
What were some of the specific musical influences on this EP?
I was playing a lot of these albums as inspiration right at the beginning of the lockdown:
Common - Like Water For ChocolateJill Scott - Who Is Jill ScottErykah Badu - Mama's GunOutkast - StankoniaDAngelo - Voodoo
Of course Ive played these albums many times before, but Ive never listened to them as a direct muse for the songs Im writing. I also felt like there was some parallels between these albums being recorded in 1999-2000, during another big change In our society. 1999-2000 / 2019-2000.
What's next after this EP? A full-length album? A solo tour when it's safe?
Future Proof the album is next, and a solo tour is definitely in the works!
Anything else you'd like people to know about Future Proof?
Future Proof isnt just an EP or album title Our world is changing faster than ever and I would hope that we take a second to think about how we can better ourselves emotionally, financially, socially, and mentally. There is always more to learn and I don't think now is the time to deprive ourselves of information.
Tracklist1. I Cant Lose2. WTF ft. Col3trane3. Let It Go ft. Loyle Carner & FARR4. Die 4 U ft. Sophie Faith5. Selfish ft. Pip Millett
- Indias zombie home fund set to deliver thousands of apartments - The Real Deal - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie infection threat as country unlocks 50,000-year-old viruses - Yahoo News Australia - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie rises from his grave this March for PC via Steam - PC Invasion - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie Hit Train To Busan Is Getting A US Remake - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says the meat industrys future is unsustainable - NME.com - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse - Yahoo Entertainment - February 20th, 2021
- Batista Wanted To Play A Zombie On The Walking Dead, Rejected For Being "Too Big" - Fightful - February 20th, 2021
- Dave Bautista told he was too big to play zombie on The Walking Dead - NME - February 17th, 2021
- Dave Bautista Offered To Play A Zombie For Free On The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Is plurilateralism making the WTO an institutional zombie? - East Asia Forum - February 17th, 2021
- REVIEW: Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Vol. 1 is a Comedic Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Don't Eat Pete is a zombie survival game that's available now for Android in Early Access - Pocket Gamer - February 17th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone seems to be teasing Zombies - Gamesradar - February 17th, 2021
- James Gunn Weighs In On Whether Zombies Or Vampires Are More Dangerous - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead back on the march - Stuff.co.nz - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Turned Dave Bautista Down for a Zombie Role - Superherohype.com - February 16th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Image Teases Zombie Heist Movie - /FILM - February 16th, 2021
- The Real Life Diet of Rob Zombie, Who Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - British GQ - February 16th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says veganism is about 'fighting the establishment' - Vegan Food and Living - February 16th, 2021
- The Next Generation of Marvel Zombies Is Already in the Marvel Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 16th, 2021
- It Looks Like Zombies Are Coming To Warzone Season 2 | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 16th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Explains Why He Went Vegan "It Is Anti-Establishment" - Metal Injection - February 14th, 2021
- Zombie Baseballs and MLBs Home Run Problem - The Wall Street Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - GQ - February 14th, 2021
- This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse - We Are The Mighty - February 14th, 2021
- 3 Cookbooks and guides to teach you how to survive during the eventual zombie apocalypse - Undead Walking - February 14th, 2021
- Call Of Duty Zombies: All Zombies Crews, Ranked - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Tesla : Which is the best EV to own to survive a zombie apocalypse? - marketscreener.com - February 14th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Watch Every Season Of iZombie - Looper - February 14th, 2021
- What's The 1st Thing You'd Grab If Zombies Invaded Twin Falls? - kezj.com - February 14th, 2021
- Kennedy: Banks, communities need to collaborate on zombie property upkeep - The Daily Gazette - February 10th, 2021
- Zombies Attack Bend! [With Video] - The Source Weekly - February 10th, 2021
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Braaaaaaaains - tor.com - February 10th, 2021
- These Bulletproof Vehicles Are Perfect For Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse - HotCars - February 10th, 2021
- How a Left 4 Dead Remaster Could Revive the Zombie Shooter Genre - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 10th, 2021
- Rise of Barnegat Light's Zombie Whale; It Starts With Dead Bigfoots, the Devils - The SandPaper - February 10th, 2021
- The Senate should do everything it can to avoid a zombie impeachment trial - CNN - February 9th, 2021
- 8 Video Game Zombies That Break the Traditional Mold - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Four Days Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Is Ruling The Box Office. - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- Colm O'Regan: The perfect Valentine's Day gift - a zombie plan for the one you love - Irish Examiner - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Third Day Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Passes The Weekend On A Phenomenal Note - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Witch Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Reanimation and Zombies: Discussion with author Frank Swain - WLNS - February 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Is Returning In a Unique Re-release From Aspyr Media - Happy Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Author discussion to explore reanimation, zombies - The Hillsdale Daily News - February 9th, 2021
- Not Ready to Die: These 5 'zombie' cars were sold alongside their replacements - Driving - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy movie review: When the zombies attack Seema - The Hindu - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie comes back from the dead in March, achievements revealed - TrueAchievements - February 5th, 2021
- Prasanth Varma: Zombie Reddy doesnt make a joke out of zombies - The Indian Express - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Re-Release Launching in March | Game Rant - GameRant - February 5th, 2021
- Shang-Chi Finally Found the Cure for the Newest Kind of Marvel Zombie - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 5th, 2021
- Free-Roam VR Unleashed - The Source Weekly - February 5th, 2021
- Releasing Today: Zombie Attack On Box Office.. - Greatandhra.com - February 5th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE's New Album Was Completed A Couple Years Ago - Metal Injection - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie nation: Third of adults walking around in concussion-like daze due to stress, lack of sleep - Study Finds - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Achievements Listing Hints a Re-release in March - The Nerd Stash - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse Re-Release Hinted - NoobFeed - February 5th, 2021
- Splunking the Zombie Apocalypse - Security Boulevard - February 4th, 2021
- The Last of Us Meets The Division In Zombie MMO The Day Before - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Zombie-Bite Politics - The Dispatch - The Dispatch - February 4th, 2021
- World War Z & 9 More Of The Highest-Grossing Zombie Movies Of All Time - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- AOC's terrifying account of the Capitol siege: 'It almost felt like a zombie movie' - CNET - February 4th, 2021
- Korean Zombie says he hit rock bottom and gained over 40 lbs after loss to Brian Ortega - Bloody Elbow - February 4th, 2021
- Varun Tej heaps praise on Teja Sajja at Zombie Reddy pre-release event - Times of India - February 4th, 2021
- Cold War Zombies: How to Upgrade The D.I.E Shockwave - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Releases New Single And Video 'The Eternal Struggles Of The Howling Man' | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - February 4th, 2021
- THE WALKING DEAD Season 10 "Ties that Bind" Trailer (2021) Zombie Horror - JoBlo.com - February 4th, 2021
- Feeding monopolies and zombies: Made in the USA: Socialism for the Rich. Capitalism for the Rest - The Times of India Blog - January 30th, 2021
- Hear Rob Zombie's Raucous New Song "The Eternal Struggles of the Howling Man" - Revolver Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- The Korean Zombie says he hit rock bottom and gained 20kgs following loss to Brian Ortega - BJPENN.COM - January 30th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE To Release A New Song This Friday - Metal Injection - January 30th, 2021
- The Day Before Is Basically The Division with Zombie-like Infected - Wccftech - January 30th, 2021
- USM Alumna's Novel Included on Best Fiction for Young Adults List - Southern Miss Now - January 30th, 2021
- Zombies and Neon Fury Star in Howie Lees Insane New Music Video - RADII - January 30th, 2021
- This $23 emergency radio is all you need to survive the zombie (or robot) apocalypse - CNET - January 25th, 2021
- The real zombie threat as the Arctic thaws and other climate briefs - Haaretz - January 25th, 2021
- When the zombies come, I will be ready - Rochelle News Leader - January 25th, 2021
- The information warriors fighting 'robot zombie army' of coronavirus sceptics - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- Tips To Survive An Infinite Number Of Rounds In Black Ops: Cold Wars Zombies Mode - TheGamer - January 25th, 2021
- Yungblud and Machine Gun Kelly tease zombie film-inspired 'Acting Like That' video - NME.com - January 25th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero