In October 2020 The Supreme Court of New Zealand, New Zealands highest court, effectively held that zombie trade marks do exist in New Zealand inInternational Consolidated Business Pty Ltd v SC Johnson & Son Inc  SC 32/2019.
As I discussed in an earlier article of 3 May 2019SC Johnson and Son Inc (Johnson) applied to register the ZIPLOC trade mark in class 16, for plastic bags and related goods. The Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) raised International Consolidated Business Pty Ltds (ICB) earlier registration for the identical ZIPLOC mark as a citation objection. Three days after Johnson applied to register ZIPLOC it applied for revocation of ICBs ZIPLOC registration on the grounds of non-use. IPONZ upheld the action and removed ICB ZIPLOCs registration, clearing the path for Johnsons ZIPLOC mark to be accepted for registration.
Are there zombie marks in New Zealand?
As you may know, zombie marks are those which were pending or registered at the time a trade mark application is filed, but which are subsequently removed from the register whilst the trade mark application remains alive and kicking (unlike the zombie).
ICB successfully opposed Johnsons ZIPLOC trade mark application, on the basis that ICBs ZIPLOC (revoked) registration was still valid when Johnson applied to register the identical mark, notwithstanding that ICBs registration was removed four days after Johnsons application to register the same mark.
Johnson appealed to the High Court of New Zealand, which used its discretion to backdate removal of ICB ZIPLOC registration to a date before Johnsons own ZIPLOC application. This effectively removed the presence of the zombie mark at the time Johnson applied to register the same mark.
The matter then passed on to the Court of Appeal. Thankfully, the Court of Appeal concluded that the critical date for consideration of the state of the register is the actual date of entry on the register (i.e. the date upon which an application proceeds to registration, not the filing date). The Court of Appeal thus concluded that the fact that ICBs ZIPLOC registration existed for three days after Johnsons own ZIPLOC application had no bearing on the validity of Johnsons application.
This is all seemed to be good news. However ICB appealed to New Zealands highest court, the Supreme Court of New Zealand.
The Supreme Court zombie marks do exist in New Zealand, but
Effectively, ICB won the battle but lost the war. After extensive consideration the Supreme Court made three crucial findings, consistent with the Singapore Court of Appeal decision inCampomar SL v Nike International Limited  SGCA6:
(a) The register is assessed for competing marks as at the date of entry onto the register.
(b) But the date of application remains relevant. There cannot be an identical or similar trade mark belonging to different parties on the register at the same time. This means that an application for registration of a trade mark must:
(i) not precede the date of application for revocation; or
(ii) if it does, there must be an application to backdate the revocation to the date of application for registration, or there must be a finding of special circumstances under s 26(b) or that one of the other exceptions in s 26 applies.
 This means that we have upheld ICBs appeal with regard to the effect of s 68(2). Nevertheless, the appeal must be dismissed because special circumstances were found to exist by the Assistant Commissioner. As s 26 overrides s 25(1)(a), this means Johnsons April application can proceed to registration.
So are there zombie marks in New Zealand, or not?
Effectively, the Supreme Court is saying that zombie marks do exist in New Zealand and that timing is absolutely critical, when applying to seek revocation of a New Zealand trade mark registration for non-use.
The Supreme Court suggests that an application for registration of a trade markmust not precede the date of application for revocation, or if it does, must include an application to backdate the revocation to the date before the trade mark application itself was filed. Otherwise there must be a finding of special circumstances for the zombie mark to be removed as an obstruction to registration of the relevant trade mark.
However, a party seeking revocation of a trade mark must be a person aggrievedat the time it files its revocation action.As such the Supreme Courts direction itself is somewhat dangerous, as the revocation applicant may find difficulty establishing that it is indeed is a person aggrieved, if the relevant trade mark registration to be revoked has not actually been raised by IPONZ as an official objection to registration of a trade mark application when seeking revocation of a trade mark registration which would happen if one follows the Supreme Courts direction that an application to register a trade mark must not not precede the date of application for revocation. There have been cases in New Zealand where a party has applied for revocation of a trade mark either on or before it applied to register its own trade mark and the courts have found that the revocation applicant was not a person aggrieved at the time of filing the revocation application.
Effectively, the only safe way to proceed New Zealand is to rely upon a series of cascading, separate and independent backdated revocation claims. However, this approach is complex and requires very careful drafting for the initial revocation application.
No one wants to end up discussing zombie marks four times from IPONZ to New Zealands highest court, as Johnson and ICB did in this case. For that reason, if a brand owner plans to file a revocation action against a New Zealand trade mark registration then, in the words of an Australian band who were so good they could have come from New Zealand, you better get yourself a lawyer son, you better get a real good one (sic).
- Indias zombie home fund set to deliver thousands of apartments - The Real Deal - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie infection threat as country unlocks 50,000-year-old viruses - Yahoo News Australia - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie rises from his grave this March for PC via Steam - PC Invasion - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie Hit Train To Busan Is Getting A US Remake - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says the meat industrys future is unsustainable - NME.com - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse - Yahoo Entertainment - February 20th, 2021
- Batista Wanted To Play A Zombie On The Walking Dead, Rejected For Being "Too Big" - Fightful - February 20th, 2021
- Dave Bautista told he was too big to play zombie on The Walking Dead - NME - February 17th, 2021
- Dave Bautista Offered To Play A Zombie For Free On The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Is plurilateralism making the WTO an institutional zombie? - East Asia Forum - February 17th, 2021
- REVIEW: Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Vol. 1 is a Comedic Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Don't Eat Pete is a zombie survival game that's available now for Android in Early Access - Pocket Gamer - February 17th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone seems to be teasing Zombies - Gamesradar - February 17th, 2021
- James Gunn Weighs In On Whether Zombies Or Vampires Are More Dangerous - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead back on the march - Stuff.co.nz - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Turned Dave Bautista Down for a Zombie Role - Superherohype.com - February 16th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Image Teases Zombie Heist Movie - /FILM - February 16th, 2021
- The Real Life Diet of Rob Zombie, Who Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - British GQ - February 16th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says veganism is about 'fighting the establishment' - Vegan Food and Living - February 16th, 2021
- The Next Generation of Marvel Zombies Is Already in the Marvel Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 16th, 2021
- It Looks Like Zombies Are Coming To Warzone Season 2 | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 16th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Explains Why He Went Vegan "It Is Anti-Establishment" - Metal Injection - February 14th, 2021
- Zombie Baseballs and MLBs Home Run Problem - The Wall Street Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - GQ - February 14th, 2021
- This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse - We Are The Mighty - February 14th, 2021
- 3 Cookbooks and guides to teach you how to survive during the eventual zombie apocalypse - Undead Walking - February 14th, 2021
- Call Of Duty Zombies: All Zombies Crews, Ranked - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Tesla : Which is the best EV to own to survive a zombie apocalypse? - marketscreener.com - February 14th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Watch Every Season Of iZombie - Looper - February 14th, 2021
- What's The 1st Thing You'd Grab If Zombies Invaded Twin Falls? - kezj.com - February 14th, 2021
- Kennedy: Banks, communities need to collaborate on zombie property upkeep - The Daily Gazette - February 10th, 2021
- Zombies Attack Bend! [With Video] - The Source Weekly - February 10th, 2021
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Braaaaaaaains - tor.com - February 10th, 2021
- These Bulletproof Vehicles Are Perfect For Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse - HotCars - February 10th, 2021
- How a Left 4 Dead Remaster Could Revive the Zombie Shooter Genre - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 10th, 2021
- Rise of Barnegat Light's Zombie Whale; It Starts With Dead Bigfoots, the Devils - The SandPaper - February 10th, 2021
- The Senate should do everything it can to avoid a zombie impeachment trial - CNN - February 9th, 2021
- 8 Video Game Zombies That Break the Traditional Mold - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Four Days Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Is Ruling The Box Office. - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- Colm O'Regan: The perfect Valentine's Day gift - a zombie plan for the one you love - Irish Examiner - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Third Day Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Passes The Weekend On A Phenomenal Note - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Witch Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Reanimation and Zombies: Discussion with author Frank Swain - WLNS - February 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Is Returning In a Unique Re-release From Aspyr Media - Happy Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Author discussion to explore reanimation, zombies - The Hillsdale Daily News - February 9th, 2021
- Not Ready to Die: These 5 'zombie' cars were sold alongside their replacements - Driving - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy movie review: When the zombies attack Seema - The Hindu - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie comes back from the dead in March, achievements revealed - TrueAchievements - February 5th, 2021
- Prasanth Varma: Zombie Reddy doesnt make a joke out of zombies - The Indian Express - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Re-Release Launching in March | Game Rant - GameRant - February 5th, 2021
- Shang-Chi Finally Found the Cure for the Newest Kind of Marvel Zombie - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 5th, 2021
- Free-Roam VR Unleashed - The Source Weekly - February 5th, 2021
- Releasing Today: Zombie Attack On Box Office.. - Greatandhra.com - February 5th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE's New Album Was Completed A Couple Years Ago - Metal Injection - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie nation: Third of adults walking around in concussion-like daze due to stress, lack of sleep - Study Finds - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Achievements Listing Hints a Re-release in March - The Nerd Stash - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse Re-Release Hinted - NoobFeed - February 5th, 2021
- Splunking the Zombie Apocalypse - Security Boulevard - February 4th, 2021
- The Last of Us Meets The Division In Zombie MMO The Day Before - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Zombie-Bite Politics - The Dispatch - The Dispatch - February 4th, 2021
- World War Z & 9 More Of The Highest-Grossing Zombie Movies Of All Time - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- AOC's terrifying account of the Capitol siege: 'It almost felt like a zombie movie' - CNET - February 4th, 2021
- Korean Zombie says he hit rock bottom and gained over 40 lbs after loss to Brian Ortega - Bloody Elbow - February 4th, 2021
- Varun Tej heaps praise on Teja Sajja at Zombie Reddy pre-release event - Times of India - February 4th, 2021
- Cold War Zombies: How to Upgrade The D.I.E Shockwave - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Releases New Single And Video 'The Eternal Struggles Of The Howling Man' | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - February 4th, 2021
- THE WALKING DEAD Season 10 "Ties that Bind" Trailer (2021) Zombie Horror - JoBlo.com - February 4th, 2021
- Feeding monopolies and zombies: Made in the USA: Socialism for the Rich. Capitalism for the Rest - The Times of India Blog - January 30th, 2021
- Hear Rob Zombie's Raucous New Song "The Eternal Struggles of the Howling Man" - Revolver Magazine - January 30th, 2021
- The Korean Zombie says he hit rock bottom and gained 20kgs following loss to Brian Ortega - BJPENN.COM - January 30th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE To Release A New Song This Friday - Metal Injection - January 30th, 2021
- The Day Before Is Basically The Division with Zombie-like Infected - Wccftech - January 30th, 2021
- USM Alumna's Novel Included on Best Fiction for Young Adults List - Southern Miss Now - January 30th, 2021
- Zombies and Neon Fury Star in Howie Lees Insane New Music Video - RADII - January 30th, 2021
- This $23 emergency radio is all you need to survive the zombie (or robot) apocalypse - CNET - January 25th, 2021
- The real zombie threat as the Arctic thaws and other climate briefs - Haaretz - January 25th, 2021
- When the zombies come, I will be ready - Rochelle News Leader - January 25th, 2021
- The information warriors fighting 'robot zombie army' of coronavirus sceptics - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- Tips To Survive An Infinite Number Of Rounds In Black Ops: Cold Wars Zombies Mode - TheGamer - January 25th, 2021
- Yungblud and Machine Gun Kelly tease zombie film-inspired 'Acting Like That' video - NME.com - January 25th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero