Something smells fishy in this week's Day of the Dead, and it's not the human tartar strewn all over the town. Even in the midst of the wave of death that's washed over Mawinhaken, there's still room for some foul play particularly on the part of Cleargenix, and shenanigans stink to high heaven.
On top of that, when bodies start to mysteriously and inexplicably pile up at Paymart, it ensnares the survivors in a game of whodunit that's got them even more suspicious of each other than of the zombies.
This apocalypse thing it's tearing everyone apart!
**SPOILER WARNING! Spoilers ahead for Day of the Dead Season 1, Episode 9, "Death Comes to Paymart."
Last we saw the intrepid bunch that had ventured into Mawinhaken, they had been picked up by a team of black ops in an armored vehicle. Well, they're still there, Cam (Keenan Tracey), Lauren (Natalie Malaika), Jai (Dejan Loyola), and Paula (Miranda Frigon), only they're wedged in between Trent (Trezzo Mahoro) (surprise! he's alive) and some paramilitary agent you know, the quiet, machine-gun-toting type. They're not sure where they're headed, but these black-clad guys came to save them, right?
Meanwhile, Paymart is a flurry with activity. The sister of that hiker-turned-zombie-turned-corpse is wracked with grief, and she takes it out on Herb (Garry Chalk), who neglected to try to save her life. Minutes later the lights go out at Paymart, and when Captain Pike (Marci T. House) sleuths around to find the cause, she finds Herb, dead on the floor.
Now, we the audience know that Herb suffered a fatal wound to his belly after getting in a scuffle with a zombie. But Captain Pike doesn't know this, and her detective instincts have her pointing the finger at sister of hiker-turned-zombie-turned-corpse. She has the suspect detained, handcuffed in a locked closet until they can better ascertain the situation. But Amy (Kristy Dawn Dinsmore), whose conscience and sense of reasoning have not been compromised by her father's death, protests: She doesn't think this woman killed her father.
No matter, Captain Pike isn't taking any more chances. Not after the senseless deaths of those two state troopers. No way.
Meanwhile, the armored vehicle has arrived at its destination: the same Cleargenix black site where Dr. Logan (Lucia Walters) was conducting Frankensteinian experiments on a turned McDermott (Mike Dopud). Coincidence? Not when you realize that these paramilitary agents are in the employ of Cleargenix, and under direct orders of Rhodes (Kevin O'Grady). Then it all makes a lot of sense.
Except for Cam, Jai, Lauren, Luke (Daniel Doheny), Trent, and Paula, who know nothing of this, and who the Cleargenix goons have locked into one of the rooms at the facility. Suddenly their trust in these guys starts to fade, especially after Cam finds his dad's wedding ring on the ground.
That's when the place starts filling up with a mysterious gas, and any confidence the prisoners had in their abductors evaporates. On Rhodes's orders, the Cleargenix paramilitary officers have begun pumping exhaust fumes into the locked room, part of the foreman's devious (and misguided) plot to annihilate the zombie threat in Mawinhaken before it can spread beyond the city limits.
Back at Paymart, Amy finds Pops Parker dead in one of the back aisles. The hiker has managed to escape from her handcuffs and the storeroom she was locked in. Captain Pike ultimately tracks the escapee down, throws her back in the storeroom, recuffs her, and begins to interrogate her on the death of Pops. The hiker denies everything, but her claims to innocence don't seem to be getting through to Pike. The captain pulls her gun on the prisoner, ready to carry out some extrajudicial "justice."
But something comes over Pike, and she's unable to pull the trigger. Could it be that she's returning to her senses? She lets the woman live, and together they return to the fray, to hunt down the real perpetrators the zombies.
Back at the blacksite, the prisoners have started to drop like lead balloons from the carbon monoxide poisoning. In a last-ditch effort, the valiant Jai crawls through a vent, hoping it leads to the outside. It does, and he's able to break through the grate, letting in clean air. Unfortunately, the heroic deed proves to be his last, and he dies just after saving his comrades.
Meanwhile, Blackwood (Morgan Holmstrom) has shown up at the black site, killed a guard, and broken into the building. While the others are slowly regaining consciousness, Blackwood busts down the locked door, and frees the rest of the team.
When they find Jai's body, it puts to rest once and for all the hope they had in the Cleargenix personnel were out to help them. They are not their friends.
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Brain - tor.com - January 9th, 2022
- A big zombie blockbuster is among the movies on TV tonight - JOE.ie - January 9th, 2022
- Why its grim, but unsurprising, that the U.S. Capitol attack looked like it was out of a 'zombie movie' - The Conversation CA - January 9th, 2022
- Spyker brand set to return in 2022 like a zombie - CNET - January 9th, 2022
- How the CDC would act in a zombie outbreak - Boing Boing - January 9th, 2022
- CES Is Back in Las Vegas for 2022, and It Is a Zombie Version of Its Former Self - Daily Beast - January 9th, 2022
- 'Project Zomboid': Healing And First-Aid Guide - International Business Times - January 9th, 2022
- This B-Movie-Inspired Action-RPG Looks Like An Anime Fan's Fever Dream - Kotaku - January 9th, 2022
- Middletown Mayor Tony Perry takes office for fourth consecutive year - Asbury Park Press - January 9th, 2022
- Best Zombie Games To Play In 2022 - Tech News Today - December 27th, 2021
- Living with COVID doesnt mean being a zoomed-out zombie - Sydney Morning Herald - December 27th, 2021
- Rob Zombie, Mastodon and Mudvayne are the metal pirates of the Caribbean on the Voragos cruise - Louder - December 27th, 2021
- 'Difficult for zombies to survive in South Korea': Park Hyung-sik on what if outbreak in his K-drama Happiness occurs in real life - AsiaOne - December 27th, 2021
- Sherdogs 2021 Walkout Song of the Year - Sherdog.com - December 27th, 2021
- Every Evil Doctor Strange Marvel Has Already Introduced Before Multiverse Of Madness - FandomWire - December 27th, 2021
- What to watch on TV this Christmas Day - from Strictly to the zombie Christmas movie - Essex Live - December 27th, 2021
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War Update 1.45 Patch Notes - Attack of the Fanboy - December 14th, 2021
- The World's Coldest Inhabited Place Is Burning Because of ... - December 14th, 2021
- Rhik Samadder tries fencing: Now Im ready for the zombie apocalypse - The Guardian - December 14th, 2021
- There's An IRL Zombie Apocalypse You Can Try To Survive In Vancouver & It's Legit Scary - Narcity Canada - December 14th, 2021
- Remember When the Tri-City Americans Were on 'Z Nation', a Popular Zombie Show? - newstalk870.am - December 14th, 2021
- This Mashup of ROB ZOMBIE & The Succession Theme Is Basically Perfect - Metal Injection - December 14th, 2021
- Pennsylvania, RGGI, and the Case of the Zombie Resolution - NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) - December 14th, 2021
- Covid supports have not created 'zombie' firms - report - RTE.ie - December 14th, 2021
- The 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers might be the NFLs zombie squad - Behind the Steel Curtain - December 14th, 2021
- UFC 269 video: Embedded, part 5 - Hes the Brazilian Zombie - Bloody Elbow - December 14th, 2021
- How TV and movie zombies have evolved from the mindless undead to superhuman killing machines - Yahoo News - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie properties a growing problem in Capital Region The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - November 29th, 2021
- Yeon Sang-ho Talks Season 2 of 'Hellbound' and Third Zombie Movie - - The Nerd Stash - November 29th, 2021
- Hellbound Creator Yeon Sang-ho Details Season 2 Plans, Teases Third Zombie Movie in World of Train to Busan - Variety - November 29th, 2021
- Recap: Weddings, funerals, and sexy time: Day of the Dead Ep. 7 gets at what it means to be a human (and not a zombie) - SYFY WIRE - November 29th, 2021
- BSU professor presents on zombies and colonialism as part of Native American Heritage Month events - Bemidji Pioneer - November 29th, 2021
- America's Favorite Zombie Officer Returns on 4K with Blue Underground's Maniac Cop II and III - Critical Blast - November 29th, 2021
- Warnings of orphan and zombie wells spark debate on bonding by oil, gas companies - The Denver Post - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie river? London's Thames, once biologically dead, has been coming back to life - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Zombies to the rescue: The arcane voting rule that could save Dems antitrust agenda - POLITICO - November 13th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Confirms The Munsters Officially Shooting, Offers Tease of Logo - ComicBook.com - November 13th, 2021
- LUCE: The zombie issues of legacy preference - Yale Daily News - November 13th, 2021
- RUPCO seeks to rehabilitate and sell 10 zombie properties in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - November 13th, 2021
- Stream Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Code Orange and more from Welcome To Rockville this weekend Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 13th, 2021
- Joivan Wade Talks About Doom Patrol's Cyborg, Being A Zombie, And His Doctor Who Inspiration - Exclusive Interview - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero