Only 10 Ultimate Fighting Championship cards went downwith thousands of fans in attendance, and the Bellator MMA quantity totaled even fewer packed-houseevents. Rizin Fighting Federation tamped down itspageantry for the most part in Japan, while tape-delayed dances inOne Championship inside a dark, empty room lostany luster they could hold. Should a fighters entrance at Rizin33 prove truly memorable, however, it will be given its propershine.
The clever choices still made an impression, like TabathaRiccis pick of the theme from the movieJaws composed by John Williams ahead of her first UFC win,which mattered more given her nickname of Baby Shark. In whatcould be called the best walkout song of the UFC this year,TaiTuivasa bucked conventional music selection to go with Wannabe by theSpice Girls before his shellacking of Greg Hardy,and it was bolstered by a considerable percentage of the crowdinside the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas singing along. Winning theaudience over proved to be the most valuable determining factor inaward criteria this year, leading to a clear choice by a majorityof Sherdog voting members. First, we should take a quick look atawards gone by.
As if DiegoFerreira wanted to get himself back in contention, the inaugural winner of the Walkout Song of the Year award in2018 walked out to the tune of Footloose by KennyLoggins again in the final UFC event of the year. In 2019, thewinning nominee brought something about as different as a Logginssong as possible, in the form of KronGracies petrifying air raid sirens from the film The Purge. With 2020practically devoid of fans at the shows, it seemed fair thatDarrenTill took home that years award by using silence as his backing ahead of hismatchup with RobertWhittaker. If Tills non-selection seemed emotionless, then itis only fitting that the 2021 Walkout Song of the Year awardclock in as easily the most emotional track heard all year at anycombat sporting event.
For around 30 years in Northern Ireland, a low-scale war calledThe Troubles took place around the country regarding its statusbelonging to the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland.Skirmishes broke out for years as paramilitary groups andnationalist types battled British and local forces, but ultimately,civilians were often caught in the crossfire. In March 1993, a fewbombings took place in Warrington, England, and a pair of childrennamed Johnathan Ball and Tim Parry died as a result. Shortly thereafter, Irish rock band The Cranberries,helmed by frontwoman Dolores ORiordan, penned a protest songtitled Zombie about the bombings, which topped manyinternational charts for quite some time.
Cut to Nov. 5, 2021: Bellator returns to Dublin for the first timein over a year and a half, bringing many Irish fighters to serveunder the Bellator 270 marquee. None proved more significant than itsmain event, pitting Irelands own PeterQueally against PatrickyFreire for the vacant lightweight belt. In this headliner,Queally had the chance to become the first Irish champion in amajor MMA organization since ConorMcGregor. To make matters better, Queally, in front of a homecrowd, took on a man he already defeated six months prior. Eventhough Irish fighters on the card had shown mixed results to thatpoint, Queally still brought hope to theEmerald Isle.
Freire entered first, with Eu Fiz o Jogo Virarby MC Poze do Rodo, Mainstreet & Ajaxx, a nondescript autotunedBrazilian track playing in the 3Arena as he was showered in boosduring his march to the cage. Even though Pitbull may generallybe a popular fighter, he was facing a local, and all bets are offwhen traveling to hostile territory. When he settled in the cageand the lights turned low, few expected how emotional the scene wasabout to become.
Fans were elated simply for Queallys picture appearing on thegiant screen, but when the opening guitar chords of Zombiestrummed over the speakers, the thousands upon thousands inattendance lit up at once as if a switch had been flipped in thebuilding. Their fighter had entered the arena, and he was perhapsminutes away from becoming the first Irish Bellator champion. Asthe song intro floated through the air, Bellator play-by-playcommentator Sean Grande masterfully introduced the song itself onthe broadcast and noted its significance.
It became an anthem for a new generation of Irish, Granderemarked after briefly describing the songs history, and nobetter one with which to serenade their heroes.
At that point, the result ceased to matter. The glory of Irelandwould have undoubtedly swelled to a bursting point had Queallyemerged victorious, but uniting the crowd together in song was abigger triumph than any could have hoped. Even after thecommentators ran out of notes to describe the match itself, themusic played on, with the Irish faithful on their feet belting outthe words as loudly as possible. After allowing the music tocontinue as long as the promotion felt comfortable, it had to moveon with the show. That, as it turned out, did not matter,either.
The song is an anthem for a new generation, Grande repeated, onerepresented here. Not by cowards who bomb innocent children in thestreet, but by warriors like PeterQueally, who fight with respectand for respectfor themselves,their country.
Try as he might, cage announcer Michael C. Williams may have spokenthe words introducing the main event, but the fans completelydrowned him out. Pausing briefly to blast Freire with boos, thecrowd then cheered Queally louder than most crowds have in recentmemory, all before shifting into classic Ole sports chants. Whenthe bout actually began, those in the building remarkably startedsinging the chorus of Zombie again, even as their man began tostart fighting. The Showstopper had done the unthinkable: He hadtruly stopped the show.
Queally was not the first fighter to use Zombie as a walkouttrack, and he may not have even been the first in Bellator or eventhe first in a Bellator card in Dublin to select it. As peopleworldwide crave the return to normalcy after the pandemic, thoseattending live events display ample amounts of relief andenthusiasm at those shows. At the UFCs very first card back in2021, UFC 261 in Florida, the Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena waspractically full for the card opener, and ArianeCarnelossi and Na Liangreceived heroes welcomes in the loudest pop curtain-jerkers couldimagine. When Queally fought in the first Dublin card in some time,making it to the stage as the headliner and representing his peoplewas enough. Despite coming up short, he carried his nation on hisback for the duration of his bout and beyond. It is no surprisethat he has already drawn the co-main event billing for Bellatorsnext offering in Dublin in 2022.
As a man that united practically everyone in the 3Arena during hiswalkout, Queally brought relief, joy and, perhaps most importantly,pride to those in the building and watching around his country. Hewas, for a couple moments, the warm little center around which thelife of this world crowded. When 2020s Walkout of the Yearwinner was silence, it is fitting that the 2021 Sherdog.comWalkout Song of the Year is a powerful, enrapturing anthem thatmeant more to Queally and the fans than most can imagine.
Originally posted here:
Sherdogs 2021 Walkout Song of the Year - Sherdog.com
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Brain - tor.com - January 9th, 2022
- A big zombie blockbuster is among the movies on TV tonight - JOE.ie - January 9th, 2022
- Why its grim, but unsurprising, that the U.S. Capitol attack looked like it was out of a 'zombie movie' - The Conversation CA - January 9th, 2022
- Spyker brand set to return in 2022 like a zombie - CNET - January 9th, 2022
- How the CDC would act in a zombie outbreak - Boing Boing - January 9th, 2022
- CES Is Back in Las Vegas for 2022, and It Is a Zombie Version of Its Former Self - Daily Beast - January 9th, 2022
- 'Project Zomboid': Healing And First-Aid Guide - International Business Times - January 9th, 2022
- This B-Movie-Inspired Action-RPG Looks Like An Anime Fan's Fever Dream - Kotaku - January 9th, 2022
- Middletown Mayor Tony Perry takes office for fourth consecutive year - Asbury Park Press - January 9th, 2022
- Best Zombie Games To Play In 2022 - Tech News Today - December 27th, 2021
- Living with COVID doesnt mean being a zoomed-out zombie - Sydney Morning Herald - December 27th, 2021
- Rob Zombie, Mastodon and Mudvayne are the metal pirates of the Caribbean on the Voragos cruise - Louder - December 27th, 2021
- 'Difficult for zombies to survive in South Korea': Park Hyung-sik on what if outbreak in his K-drama Happiness occurs in real life - AsiaOne - December 27th, 2021
- Every Evil Doctor Strange Marvel Has Already Introduced Before Multiverse Of Madness - FandomWire - December 27th, 2021
- What to watch on TV this Christmas Day - from Strictly to the zombie Christmas movie - Essex Live - December 27th, 2021
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War Update 1.45 Patch Notes - Attack of the Fanboy - December 14th, 2021
- The World's Coldest Inhabited Place Is Burning Because of ... - December 14th, 2021
- Rhik Samadder tries fencing: Now Im ready for the zombie apocalypse - The Guardian - December 14th, 2021
- There's An IRL Zombie Apocalypse You Can Try To Survive In Vancouver & It's Legit Scary - Narcity Canada - December 14th, 2021
- Remember When the Tri-City Americans Were on 'Z Nation', a Popular Zombie Show? - newstalk870.am - December 14th, 2021
- This Mashup of ROB ZOMBIE & The Succession Theme Is Basically Perfect - Metal Injection - December 14th, 2021
- Pennsylvania, RGGI, and the Case of the Zombie Resolution - NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) - December 14th, 2021
- Covid supports have not created 'zombie' firms - report - RTE.ie - December 14th, 2021
- Recap: Day of the Dead Episode 9 turns everyone into a detective and a suspect - SYFY WIRE - December 14th, 2021
- The 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers might be the NFLs zombie squad - Behind the Steel Curtain - December 14th, 2021
- UFC 269 video: Embedded, part 5 - Hes the Brazilian Zombie - Bloody Elbow - December 14th, 2021
- How TV and movie zombies have evolved from the mindless undead to superhuman killing machines - Yahoo News - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie properties a growing problem in Capital Region The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - November 29th, 2021
- Yeon Sang-ho Talks Season 2 of 'Hellbound' and Third Zombie Movie - - The Nerd Stash - November 29th, 2021
- Hellbound Creator Yeon Sang-ho Details Season 2 Plans, Teases Third Zombie Movie in World of Train to Busan - Variety - November 29th, 2021
- Recap: Weddings, funerals, and sexy time: Day of the Dead Ep. 7 gets at what it means to be a human (and not a zombie) - SYFY WIRE - November 29th, 2021
- BSU professor presents on zombies and colonialism as part of Native American Heritage Month events - Bemidji Pioneer - November 29th, 2021
- America's Favorite Zombie Officer Returns on 4K with Blue Underground's Maniac Cop II and III - Critical Blast - November 29th, 2021
- Warnings of orphan and zombie wells spark debate on bonding by oil, gas companies - The Denver Post - November 29th, 2021
- Zombie river? London's Thames, once biologically dead, has been coming back to life - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Zombies to the rescue: The arcane voting rule that could save Dems antitrust agenda - POLITICO - November 13th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Confirms The Munsters Officially Shooting, Offers Tease of Logo - ComicBook.com - November 13th, 2021
- LUCE: The zombie issues of legacy preference - Yale Daily News - November 13th, 2021
- RUPCO seeks to rehabilitate and sell 10 zombie properties in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - November 13th, 2021
- Stream Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Code Orange and more from Welcome To Rockville this weekend Kerrang! - Kerrang! - November 13th, 2021
- Joivan Wade Talks About Doom Patrol's Cyborg, Being A Zombie, And His Doctor Who Inspiration - Exclusive Interview - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Years Before COVID, Zombies Helped Prepare One Hospital System for the Real Pandemic - Scientific American - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero