Issued on: 15/10/2020 - 16:56
Tech giant Microsoft and United States military intelligence are taking on Trickbot, deeming the botnet one of the world's largest networks of computers controlled remotely by cybercriminals a threat to the US presidential election.
Trickbot's network has been used to paralyse hospitals, retirement homes, banks and even city governments. Considered one of the largest and most active cybercriminal networks in the world, the group has just weathered an assault by Microsoft and US Cyber Command, the military equivalent of the National Security Agency (NSA).
The stakes are high. Calling Trickbot "one of the world's most infamous botnets and prolific distributors of ransomware", Microsoft described ransomware as "one of the largest threats to the upcoming elections", explaining in a statement on Monday that "adversaries can use ransomware to infect a computer system used to maintain voter rolls or report on election-night results, seizing on those systems at a prescribed hour optimised to sow chaos and distrust".
Microsoft, which maintains a unit to fight cybersecurity threats, was authorised by a judge to neutralise a segment of the servers that the cybercriminals use to coordinate their hacking network, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.
More than a million computers under cybercriminal control
It deals a blow to "a key player on the cybercriminal landscape", Jean-Ian Boutin, who heads threat research at ESET, one of the cybersecurity firms that has partnered with Microsoft, told FRANCE 24.
Initially, Trickbot was simply "malevolent software developed in 2016 and specialised in financial crime", said Vincent Nguyen, who leads the security threat response and cyber crisis management unit at Wavestone, a consulting firm. From its origins as a tool for stealing bank account access codes, it grew to become a gigantic botnet.
It is the ultimate of those nefarious networks: Trickbot controls more than one million "zombie" computers the term used to designate PCs controlled from a distance around the world. That makes it "one of the largest botnets in operation", Nguyen said. That global firepower is then rented out to groups of cybercriminals that can make use of it for their own wrongdoing. Having a million computers to hand makes it possible to launch massive spam campaigns or lead denial of service (DoS) attacks, flooding machines with requests in order to saturate and disable a server, that are difficult to counteract.
Trickbot has also been used to spread ransomware, viruses that block access to a computer's files until the assailant can extricate a payoff. Indeed, it is that usage that has garnered the most media attention. The Trickbot network was at the core of the first ransomware attack with deadly consequences: In late September, ransomware blocked access to the computer system of a German hospital; administratively overrun, the facility had to turn away some patients. One died as a result of not receiving necessary care in time.
In the United States, cybercriminals have used the vast network of computers controlled by Trickbot to take a server hostage, virtually speaking, that managed computer systems for 11 retirement homes in the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic, Microsoft noted.
The spectre of Russia
Trickbot's notoriety has been cause for concern at US Cyber Command and Microsoft as the November 3 election approaches. "One must think of Trickbot as a key that enables cybercriminals to enter a computer system to hack it," Boutin told FRANCE 24.
The worst-case scenario for the November 3 vote would be for a computer controlled by Trickbot's network to be connected to the computer system of a polling place or a server that contains voter files. Hackers could then use the computer to reach the targeted server and to block it with ransomware.
That could mean that "the systems that manage electoral data could be compromised, blocked by ransomware, which could hinder the counting of votes", Nguyen said.
An incident of that kind would add grist to the mill of the incumbent. Donald Trump doesn't let an opportunity go by to suggest that the upcoming election might be "the most rigged election in history".
The threat is taken all the more seriously as Microsoft and US Cyber Command have said that Trickbot is managed by "Russian-language" cybercriminals. They have not established a direct link with the Kremlin, but in the context of a resurgence of Russian propaganda as the vote approaches, there is a real risk.
We dont know if this is Russian intelligence, Microsoft's Tom Burt, who is overseeing the unit dismantling Trickbot, told the New York Times. But what we know is, TrickBot is by volume the key distribution pipeline for ransomware and that it would be really easy for state actors to contract with TrickBot to distribute ransomware with the goal of hacking election systems," Burt said. "That risk is real particularly given that so much of the ransomware is targeting municipalities, he added.
Microsoft even planned its operation around the November election. Trickbot could have been targeted as early as April, but the tech giant chose to wait until October in order to give the cybercriminals the least time possible to rebuild their empire.
Indeed, the operation has not spelled the death of Trickbot. "A network like that cannot be destroyed overnight and we can see that there is still some activity, even though there is less of it," Boutin said. In other words, not all of the servers controlling computers remotely could be neutralised. The big question is how many PCs are still under the thumb of these cybercriminals, what can they do with them and, above all, whether Trickbot will have time to recuperate by November 3.
This article has been translated from the original in French.
See the original post here:
Trickbot and its one million zombie computers: US election under threat? - FRANCE 24 English
- These Days, the Best Zombie Content Is Made in Korea - The Ringer - November 25th, 2020
- Beware of zombie companies running rampant in the stock market - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2020
- How to Kill Zombie Processes on Linux - How-To Geek - November 25th, 2020
- DC: 5 Reasons DCeased Is The Best Zombie Apocalypse Arc (& 5 Why It's Dead Planet) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 25th, 2020
- 5 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 5 That Are Way Over The Top) - Screen Rant - November 25th, 2020
- Netflix's The Last Kids On Earth Is Getting A Family-Friendly Zombie Game On Switch - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2020
- Live Stream Review: The Devil Wears Prada Performs EPs Zombie and Space In Full - mxdwn.com - November 25th, 2020
- Dragon Age's Darkspawn Are More Than Just the Zombies or Orcs of the Franchise - GameRant - November 25th, 2020
- Every Call of Duty: Cold War zombies camo challenge - PC Gamer - November 24th, 2020
- More Zombie Companies Have Cropped Up During the Pandemic - Barron's - November 24th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead Introduces Zombies That Are Actually Scary - Screen Rant - November 24th, 2020
- The Cranberries Revisit 'No Need to Argue' and the Legacy of "Zombie" - American Songwriter - November 24th, 2020
- Have we reached peak zombie? - British GQ - November 24th, 2020
- A History of the Ray Gun in Call of Duty Zombies | Game Rant - GameRant - November 24th, 2020
- Number of zombie firms to increase more than the rise in bankruptcies Natixis - FXStreet - November 24th, 2020
- Zombie Movies Are Making a Comeback, Baby! | - Post Apocalyptic Media - November 24th, 2020
- Joining the zombie invasion is the best part of WoW's Shadowlands pre-launch event - PC Gamer - November 20th, 2020
- The Cranberries Revisit Their Hit Album No Need To Argue And The Legacy Of Zombie - Forbes - November 20th, 2020
- Will America Survive the Republican Zombie Apocalypse? - Fair Observer - November 20th, 2020
- How to get the Call of Duty: Cold War Zombies Easter egg - PC Gamer - November 20th, 2020
- Who Needs Zombies When We Have Republicans? - FPIF - Foreign Policy In Focus - November 20th, 2020
- World of Warcraft's Zombie Invasion Hits Different in 2020 - Gizmodo - November 20th, 2020
- Return Of The Zombies - Seeking Alpha - November 20th, 2020
- Netflix's Army of the Dead Zombies Are 90% Practical Promises Zack Snyder - MovieWeb - November 20th, 2020
- Minecraft Earth 0.30.0 'Season 14: Tundra' made official with new zombies and improvements - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Ryan Hall fed up with being consistently avoided, calls for fight against The Korean Zombie - MMA Fighting - November 20th, 2020
- Aventura's Zombie-Infested Halloween Drive-Thru incredible success - Miami's Community Newspapers - November 20th, 2020
- 'Army of the Dead': Zack Snyder Teases "Insane Zombie Mayhem in His Horror Movie Return - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- 'TWD: World Beyond' says space spore may have started zombie outbreak - Insider - INSIDER - November 16th, 2020
- Army Of The Deads Zombies Are 90% Practical | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- The Cranberries' "Zombie" And Its Troubled Afterlife - Stereogum - November 16th, 2020
- Will North Korea Expect Joe Biden to Pursue a Zombie Policy? - The National Interest Online - November 16th, 2020
- Beware the Market's 'Zombie Apocalypse' - DailyWealth - November 16th, 2020
- Gambit Is The Secret Savior Of Marvels Zombie Apocalypse - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Social Media Zombies and The Walking Dead - The Augusta Chronicle - November 16th, 2020
- Has the Ultimate Villain of Marvel Zombies Been Revealed? - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Black Ops Cold War Zombies - How to Use Aetherscope - Doctor Vogel's Diary + Anomaly Locations - Attack of the Fanboy - November 16th, 2020
- Zack Snyder teases Army of the Dead as genre-destroying with very practical zombies - Gamesradar - November 16th, 2020
- Ready to take next step on 'zombie' property - Gloversville Leader-Herald - November 16th, 2020
- The X-Men's Gambit is The Perfect Zombie Hunter | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies How to get the free DIE Shockwave weapon in Die Maschine - RealSport101 - November 16th, 2020
- Rob Zombie's Halloween: What Happened To The Young Michael Myers Actor - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Halloween: 5 Things Rob Zombie's Remake Kept From The Original (& 5 It Changed) - Screen Rant - November 16th, 2020
- Colin Firth Will Battle Zombies in Action Comedy New York Will Eat You Alive - MovieWeb - November 16th, 2020
- King of Eden: Another Take on the Zombie Apocalypse - Bleeding Cool News - November 9th, 2020
- Want to Fight the Zombie Fire Apocalypse? Weaponize Math. - Mother Jones - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth to star in zombie movie New York Will Eat You Alive - messenger-inquirer - November 9th, 2020
- Army of the Dead's Garret Dillahunt says the film has a fresh breed of zombie danger - Critical Hit - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth To Star In Zombie Brother Adaptation New York Will Eat You Alive From STXfilms and Tencent Pictures - Deadline - November 9th, 2020
- Zombies, Sex and Thrills: AFM Returns to Its Roots Amid Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - November 9th, 2020
- Zack Snyders Army Of The Dead Will Reinvent Movie Zombies - Screen Rant - November 9th, 2020
- Korean zombie thriller 'Peninsula' to release in India on November 27 - The New Indian Express - November 9th, 2020
- Colin Firth to Face Down the Undead in New York Will Eat You Alive - Gizmodo - November 9th, 2020
- ROB ZOMBIE Reveals An Unheard Fact About The Recording Process Of His Band's Final Album - MetalCastle - November 9th, 2020
- A tale of Mark Lawrenson and the Zombie football club | NUFC The Mag - The Mag - November 9th, 2020
- Opinion: When Zombies Ruled The World | - mybighornbasin - November 6th, 2020
- Want to Fight the Zombie Fire Apocalypse? Weaponize Math - WIRED - November 6th, 2020
- Why Rob Zombie Tends To Kill Off The Final Girl In His Movies - We Got This Covered - November 6th, 2020
- Calls to re-open Bedford Place in Southampton - Daily Echo - November 6th, 2020
- Naruto: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 5th, 2020
- Treyarch and Raven reveal more about Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold Wars campaign and Zombies - VentureBeat - November 5th, 2020
- ASU Professor Discusses What The History Of Zombies Can Reveal About America - KJZZ - November 5th, 2020
- Why Rob Zombie Horror Movies Often Kill Off The Final Girl - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- 10 Best Zombie Movies (Where The Outbreak Actually Ends) - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- DIE! NAMITE #2 Expands Cast, Dials Up Zombie Threat to 11 - Critical Blast - November 5th, 2020
- TOMY bolsters its licensing portfolio with Sing 2 and Plants vs Zombies toy lines - Toy News - November 5th, 2020
- Zombie Rollerz: Pinball Heroes is an upcoming pinball and tower defense hybrid that's heading for Apple Arcade - Pocket Gamer - November 5th, 2020
- One Piece: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 1st, 2020
- How the 1918 Flu Inspired Your Zombie Costume - Gizmodo - November 1st, 2020
- How to Avoid the Zombie Apocalypse at Work - Adweek - October 31st, 2020
- Dinosaurs Are Even Scarier When Theyre Zombies - WIRED - October 31st, 2020
- Zombie Apocalypse Outbreak: Where would you hide on campus? - The Scout - October 31st, 2020
- Financial Zombies And More - Seeking Alpha - October 31st, 2020
- The Zombie Pig, and Other Tales of Cabbage Stalk Night - iBerkshires.com - October 31st, 2020
- Thai woman dresses up as a zombie to sell clothes of the dead on Halloween - Gulf Today - October 31st, 2020
- Bitten by the love zombie | News | tribstar.com - Terre Haute Tribune Star - October 31st, 2020
- 'Zombie fires' a growing risk in the warming Arctic Yale Climate Connections - Yale Climate Connections - October 31st, 2020
- Zombie frogs? A ribbet-ing story of how frogs and toads survive winter - Herald Times Reporter - October 31st, 2020
- These Zombie Sites Have Been Brought Back to Life to Spew Disinformation - The Daily Beast - October 31st, 2020
- DCeased and Marvel Zombies Have Surprisingly Similar Cures for Their Undead Problems - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 31st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero